The KEY to getting a position as a receptionist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Fiona in Keene, New Hampshire

75 months ago

The key to getting a position as a receptionist is to smile, smile, smile while you talk! I make cold calls to offices, I'm over 60 and work "on-call" as my own temp for lawyers just because I smile on the phone when I call! Girls - it's attitude, not age! Go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Murray85 in Riverside, California

75 months ago

What do you mean cold calls to offices? Are you talking about job search or as your job?
I am frustrated, I can't find an office job and am over qualified for fast food.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

minnieblessings in Spring, Texas

74 months ago

I am 57 and looking for work as a receptionist. I would like some advice. I attended business college years ago and worked for several years as a secretary. I have my own home computer and am proficient in Word and other word processors, but I have not worked in an office environment for a long time. I have had lots of different jobs from day care to retail. I am currently taking classes at the local library (free) in Word 2007, PowerPoint, and Publisher. Should I pursue college classes to update my skills also? Should I sign up with an online job search company like Monster or go through an agency? Any advice would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

I would sign up with temp agencies. They can place you in Clerical jobs, thus updating your skills while you earn money. Word Processing is not as big as it used to be. Many managers type their own letters and reports and use spell check. But clerical jobs lead to secretarial work which does require knowledge of word processing. Also, if you can, you could volunteer as a typist on the computer, which will increase your skill level and be a good reference to find jobs, not to mention helping out by volunteering. Thanks.

74 months ago

Fiona in Keene, New Hampshire said: The key to getting a position as a receptionist is to smile, smile, smile while you talk! I make cold calls to offices, I'm over 60 and work "on-call" as my own temp for lawyers just because I smile on the phone when I call! Girls - it's attitude, not age! Go for it!

Great advice! I get stressed and down at times. Forget that this world and corporate world want friendly faces and smiles. I read a top corporate leader said he would rather hire someone who is enthusiastic and not have all the skills than someone who has all the skills but doesn't have the strong desire to work for him.

Rose in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

I have been looking for a Receptionist / Admin Assistant position. Part-Time, Full time, Contract, Seasonal, Per Diem. I have over 10 yrs experience and have even had a business of my own at one time. I am now 57. My last position was downsized and I was let go so the Personal Assistant could absorb my job. But she has now also been let go. I have been looking for work with benefits at first, as I can't afford to carry Health Insurance with what little income I can find. But now just any money coming in would be nice. I am not sure what to do or where to turn any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vikki Zamay in Highland Mills, New York

72 months ago

I been working for a lady for over a year and a half. I bathed her, dressed her gave her oxygen, put her 15 pills into to her boxes each week and made sure she took them, monitored her oxygen and pace maker. I cooked, drove her to dr's, maintained a diabetic diet for her bought her sugar down 200 pts. I have empathy for people and I take pride in all I do. I am certified in secretarial and worked as admin secretary for a dr. I am 53 and now I am unemployed as it was her time to go. I'm in a town im new into. I think people here are prejudice in hiring my age people. When I think of my sharp wits still about me and stamina to work work work an can do so many things I wonder why employers do not take into consideration when I myself am in good health and strong. I feel this area nees to be revamped orange county new york. I am currently applying as photographer as this is my love. To see the world thru beauty an capture all its essence.. I wish tho I could have a descent payhign job for all I'm worth but i believe if its in your path and you pursue something you want it will come to you. Diversity is a positive at any age in any field. This is qi..key.. and networking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vikki Zamay in Highland Mills, New York

72 months ago

oh forgive typos but our brains can figure it out sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Encinitas, California

71 months ago

Rose in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have been looking for a Receptionist / Admin Assistant position. Part-Time, Full time, Contract, Seasonal, Per Diem. I have over 10 yrs experience and have even had a business of my own at one time. I am now 57. My last position was downsized and I was let go so the Personal Assistant could absorb my job. But she has now also been let go. I have been looking for work with benefits at first, as I can't afford to carry Health Insurance with what little income I can find. But now just any money coming in would be nice. I am not sure what to do or where to turn any suggestions?

Hi. I am 63, moved to Southern California in January after my office closed in the bay area. I refused a few jobs earlier that were $10 per hour with no benefits. Now, in November, I will take a $10 job without benefits just to get working again. Unemployment will end soon. Good luck. Both of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I am 54 and have been out of work for 6 months. Have signed up with 12 temp agencies. No jobs. I dress nice and make the most of myself. Have read numerous 'get hired' books. Am getting very down. I post a job wanted ad on Craigslist stating my skills and experience. I say please contact me if you would like a copy of my resume. (That way you have control over who is seeing your private info.) I only list the last 10-12 years of employment history. That is sufficient. I am getting an interview a week for Admin. Asst. work. I am now going to follow the Dale Carnegie (How to Win Friends and Influence People author) advice: To be Enthusiastic act Enthusiastic. I am soft spoken, shy, nice, but 'have no fire in me' during interviews. I am now going to act nice, professional, and very enthusiastic. Famous quotes on the 'web say to succeed you must be passionate and enthusiastic. I can't belive I have been out of work for 6 months. But I am going to, from now on, follow this advice. Best wishes everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charleen Lovella in New Hampshire

68 months ago

Hello to all the commentors: You are all around my age (actually I am older--64)and I was displaced 1.5 years ago--no offers at all since. I've been on several good, solid interviews, dressed well, have an excellent reputation in my field, am an active, devoted, reliable, and hard worker, had all my ducks lined up for the interviews, and have a boat load of experience in the same profession. I can do it with my eyes closed. But I still got a reject letter from a business person I knew for a job that required all the skills I've done for years. Girls, wake up! It's the age thing. One look at us and they summize we will only be working for the next five years or so. They want long-term people, younger and more intimidating, someone who is more likely to stay a longer period of time. Oh yes, and don't forget that newer, less experienced individuals tend not to talk back. We are far more experienced in both the work and life and we wouldn't take any guff if they stepped on our toes. Yes, we are likely to accept any pay scale now that the economy has sunk underground but let's face it, employers will try to get someone who has every qualification for the lowest pay possible and there are so many available, it's mind-boggling. It hardly makes looking for a job worth it. At our age, we have to sell ourselves with greater enthusiasm, more energy, a smarter intellect, a bigger smile, and nicer clothes in order to beat out the 20 year old competition. If it weren't for everything in the world raising their prices, I'd be more inclined to start travelling and let Uncle Sam pay me once a month to enjoy life. The fact is, like all of you, I don't feel my age, want to work, enjoy working, and most of all am healthy enough that I can work except for the ten extra minutes it takes in the morning to get the creaks out of my bones, but no one wants me. It's such a struggle. And it'll get worse this summer when all the school kids want summer jobs.

Charlie

carol

67 months ago

minnieblessings in Spring, Texas said: I am 57 and looking for work as a receptionist. I would like some advice. I attended business college years ago and worked for several years as a secretary. I have my own home computer and am proficient in Word and other word processors, but I have not worked in an office environment for a long time. I have had lots of different jobs from day care to retail. I am currently taking classes at the local library (free) in Word 2007, PowerPoint, and Publisher. Should I pursue college classes to update my skills also? Should I sign up with an online job search company like Monster or go through an agency? Any advice would be helpful.

Minnie, I signed up with employment agencies and some of the better online agencies. I can tell you that Monster doesn't have nearly the jobs they used to. I like Career Builders.com and Indeed.com because Indeed has listings from all the online agencies on their site. Good luck!

carol

67 months ago

To all my "mature" unemployed sisters, I too have been very disheartened at the lack of interest in my resume and at interviews. I know that I look and feel much younger than my 60 years, but I am convinced it is an age issue. I think some of you have given good advice such as showing more enthusiasm and smiling. I am considering re-signing with an employment agency as being available for last minute calls for one day employment if needed. Perhaps I can get my foot in the door this way. Good luck to all!

67 months ago

minnie in springs Texas: Looks like you are doing your homework. The applicants for the few jobs available are highly qualified to the point of Masters Degrees and more. They are so hungry for a job that they will take one even if they are over-qualified and for a dirt cheap price. Even if you have been away from the office scene for a while, you are still qualified and it all comes back to you. All it takes is a little time to get on your feet after you start. It's amazing how fast you pick things up again. I was away for over 12 years, scared to apply because of everything summed up in your question, got the job, and within a few weeks was on a roll. Problem is how can a perspective employer refuse someone who has a lot of education and experience and is willing to take a job for cheap? It's an employers' market right now. In the meantime, go ahead--keep learning as much as you want, it will benefit you to know several programs needed in today's computerized office structure. It looks good on your resume when dealing with agencies too. Good luck

67 months ago

To Carol: I agree 100%. I was displaced in the legal field, a field I've been in all my life. I look (so I've heard) at least 10 years younger than the 64 that I am and still it is difficult when you look at the workforce out there and few are in their 50s and 60s. They are all so young. I go to the doctors office and everyone is younger than me, even my doctor. How morbid is that? I haven't found work in 1.5 years. I swear they calculate my resume numbers. That's why I don't list too far down the line, but you know, they figure that one out too. It's difficult, I'm ready to sweep floors or stock shelves.

carol

67 months ago

Charlene, thanks for your reply. Hey, what did you mean by "they calculate my resume numbers and that's why I don't list too far down the line"? I haven't heard that phrase before and wondered what I need to know about that I might be missing. I can't imagine why you wouldn't get a good job as it sounds like you have good specified skills. I only do general clerical and office work: phones, computers etc. and they are a dime a dozen. At any rate, I wish you well in your search.

67 months ago

That was short for employers being able to calculate my age from the amount of years I worked at certain jobs that I list on my resume. Looking down the line at the jobs I had and the years I worked at those places, they can easily figure how old I am, that's why I don't list anything after 20 years. For me I worked many years at each job so I could only list two, one for 16 years, and the latest 4 years. I didn't want them to know I've been working for 46 years. They'll think I'm 100 years old. Anyway, I've cut my resume to one page, short and sweet. When you work that long, you are proficient at many things and I could have added tons of particulars but cut them all out and just put down the main items. If it gets an interview, I can be more detailed about what I can do then. I've listed with the agencies that I wanted to work for senior partners in business or legal firms. Because I can work independently with high profile senior people, I felt that was the place to be. They also thought I would demand a high price. I've had several interviews and was well qualified. Why didn't I get it? The agencies told me I was all the things an employer might like in a person. I think it's because of the age factor. They don't see me working long term. They don't want to have to start looking again in five years. Plus younger workers, well, they look good in a firm. This is what we face. I think your field is much wider than mine. I narrowed to legal, where I've been all my life. You can go into any business entity, that makes the field larger. You have a good chance. I wish you luck.

Montalvo-Haspil in Bronx, New York

66 months ago

minnieblessings in Spring, Texas said: I am 57 and looking for work as a receptionist. I would like some advice. I attended business college years ago and worked for several years as a secretary. I have my own home computer and am proficient in Word and other word processors, but I have not worked in an office environment for a long time. I have had lots of different jobs from day care to retail. I am currently taking classes at the local library (free) in Word 2007, PowerPoint, and Publisher. Should I pursue college classes to update my skills also? Should I sign up with an online job search company like Monster or go through an agency? Any advice would be helpful.

You don't need to enroll in any college course to upgrade your computer skills unless you want to. It's costly and you'll more than likely be learning basics unless, you join a program that will teach you basic-advance. I discovered last year that if you register w/Job Agencies, they have excellent computer programs that are FREE and you can learn/update your skills in Microsoft Programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook. They send you a link directly to your e-mail or you can come into the agency a couple of hours a day mornings or afternoons depending on their schedules and practice away. Some Agencies such as Adecco have an excellent program. You are tested at the end of each task and you get an actual score. You can register online as well in order to have access oppose to in person. I personally like to do both in person and online which saves you time and money.

Good Luck & Happy Learning!

MMH

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.