A Degree vs Years of Experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

RSS101664 in Salem, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I find alot of entry level job postings for positions that deal with extensive customer service that a "Bachelors Degree is preferred".

Am I wrong in stating that someone may not be qualified if they are still green, has some rap song on the outgoing message on the cell phone and answers the phone sounding disinterested.

Having almost 30 years front to back office experience but can't even get as far as submitting a resume.

Whatever happened to experience needed????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

chica123 in Miami Beach, Florida

73 months ago

RSS101664 in Salem, Massachusetts said: I find alot of entry level job postings for positions that deal with extensive customer service that a "Bachelors Degree is preferred".

Am I wrong in stating that someone may not be qualified if they are still green, has some rap song on the outgoing message on the cell phone and answers the phone sounding disinterested.

Having almost 30 years front to back office experience but can't even get as far as submitting a resume.

Unfortunately it would be very helpful if you know two languages spanish among them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CB in America in Bonita Springs, Florida

63 months ago

chica123 in Miami Beach, Florida said: Unfortunately it would be very helpful if you know two languages spanish among them

I also have many many years of experience including a position as Operations Manager of a Cable company, and unable to get in front of anyone for an interview without a degree. Maturity is more valuable than a sheepskin piece of paper. As far as the comment in regards to the lanquage qualifier, the last time I looked, I was an American, born and raised in America and should not have to learn another language to get a job. If a person lives in America, one should speak english.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tomp5331 in Franklin, Wisconsin

61 months ago

I know it stinks. I worked with a guy who knew the systems I worked on better than the people who designed them. He wasn't going anywhere because he didn't have a degree.

Medwin in Gahanna, Ohio

61 months ago

CB in America in Bonita Springs, Florida said: I also have many many years of experience including a position as Operations Manager of a Cable company, and unable to get in front of anyone for an interview without a degree. Maturity is more valuable than a sheepskin piece of paper. As far as the comment in regards to the lanquage qualifier, the last time I looked, I was an American, born and raised in America and should not have to learn another language to get a job. If a person lives in America, one should speak english.

While it isn't bad to speak or learn to speak another language, I have to agree with you...This is America. As such, people should learn English as I, and other have done since we came to the US. There are simply no valid reasons not to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lach61 in Cincinnati, Ohio

59 months ago

Experience SHOULD count for something, much more than a degree in hand. I have years of experience as a secretary, data entry operator, various office jobs, preschool teacher, and primary caregiver to my m-i-l who has Alzheimer's Disease. If that's not good enough for somebody, then I don't need to be working there. They wouldn't appreciate years of experience then. I can also speak "un poco" Spanish, but enough for people to get the idea across to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lach61 in Cincinnati, Ohio

59 months ago

lach61 in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Experience SHOULD count for something, much more than a degree in hand. I have years of experience as a secretary, data entry operator, various office jobs, preschool teacher, and primary caregiver to my m-i-l who has Alzheimer's Disease. If that's not good enough for somebody, then I don't need to be working there. They wouldn't appreciate years of experience then. I can also speak "un poco" Spanish, but enough for people to get the idea across to them.

That should read enough for people to get the idea (across to them).

tomp5331 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

59 months ago

And did you know that in the government of Florida that had taken a vote to make English it official language? I THINK it passed.

Musey in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

In the original posting I see no mention of a language barrier as a problem. Why "chica" would have responded with such a statement is beyond me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mahoney2124@yahoo.com in New York, New York

57 months ago

RSS101664 in Salem, Massachusetts said: I find alot of entry level job postings for positions that deal with extensive customer service that a "Bachelors Degree is preferred".

I agree wholeheartedly. I also have over 25 years of experience of being an Executive Secretary (when secretaries were secretaries) and years of experience as an Administrative Assistant. I can't get a job anywhere because of "degree a must". I think because of the lack of jobs these employers are hiring fresh graduates out of college at base pay. The employee thinking they can get their foot in the door, and the employer saving money.

If one more receptionist says "yea" to greet you I will scream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.