DISAPPOINTED !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 101)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

METTIE KENNEDY in Upper Sandusky, Ohio

75 months ago

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR A RETIRED PERSON TO FIND PART-TIME WORK EVEB AT MINIMAL WAGES. YOU GET ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSE OR RESPECT FOR YOU AGE EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP YOURSELF TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR S.S AND NOT BE RELIABLE FOR YOUR OWN CARE ON OTHER PEOPLE. YES, I CAN'T LIFT HEAVY OBJECTS, BUT THAT DOESN'T EFFECT MY BRAIN OR THE DESIRE TO BE A RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY PERSON. YET I SEE PEOPLE (TEENAGERS) HIRED BEFOR AND AFTER MY APPLICATIONS AND THE NEXT TIME I GO TO THAT SAME BUSINESS, THER WILL INVARIABLY BE ANOTHER NEW TEEN AGER. DO THE BUSINESSES LIKE THIS BIG TURNOVER, OR DO THET REALLY EVEN NEED ANYONE TO BEGIN WITH ? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE TIME THAT YOU COULD DO A PERSONAL INTERVIEW AND WALK OUT FEELING SATISFIED THAT YOU HAD A GREEAT ONE ON ONE CHANCE FOR A JOB AND WASN'T LEFT HANGING OR WAITING FOR A CALL, AND FIND OUT LATER THEY HIRED SOMEONE. IT IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND GAS NOT TO SAY THE LEAST.
THANKS, FEELING BETTER HAVING SAID THIS,
METTIE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Sharp in Cornelius, North Carolina

75 months ago

Disappointed, I am with you, I am not retired, however relocated, and was looking for employment. I have over 17 years experience customer service, as well as sales etc. I go for an interview, waste my time as well, the ad for the job mentions college grads. Of course as you do I get negative response, call saying someone more qualified received the job. I am thinking I had 14 or 14 years experience under the ole belt before this person was born, and they want me to believe that it was experience instead of age. Ridiculous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dal77 in Columbus, Georgia

75 months ago

I can relate to this as well...not only that, do you both notice that when you enter a business, whether it be retail or what have you, customer service skills are non-existant? I too have several years of customer service under my belt, and cannot find a job. Like you, I see these "kids" being hired with absolutely no clue as to how to greet/acknowledge a customer, much less handle a simple request in a professional manner. Many of them act as though the customer is bothering them simply by asking for help.
Please don't get me wrong- there are some younger people out there who do a good job; but for those of us who have experience in customer relations, problem solving, etc..there is no consideration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

METTIE KENNEDY in Upper Sandusky, Ohio

75 months ago

YES, I AGREE, THEY CAN'T CONVINCE ME IT IS NOT MY AGE. THEY HIRE PEOPLE BEFOR AND AFTER ME AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY !
METTIE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

75 months ago

Hi everyone, I am in the same boat and have posted this issue on forums here on Indeed. The age discrimination is all over. I am qualified, like you all, but can't get a job because I'm over the hill!! Teenagers, 20'somethings and 30'somethings are filling the positions. They do not have the experience we all have nor do they have work ethics. I worked in one place where they all did whatever they liked, long lunches, coming in late, leaving early etc. Guess who picks up the slack, yep, you guess it, US. We stand by our employers, we care about the job. But, you hit "THAT" age and it's over!! I can't understand it, baffles me to no end.!! I am considering getting online at home work. No one knows my age that way lol...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in New York, New York

75 months ago

I agree age is a factor. I had 3 call backs for one position and when I got to the Director, suddenly they were looking for someone with different experience.

Yeah, right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Judy, you are not alone. I had several interviews and all of a sudden after being asked when I could start, the job just disappeared. Tells you something, they take one look at the dates on your resume (education or work experience) or even take a look at your face and you're history!! I finally gave up and decided to sit back and take it easy. For some though they can't sit back because they are the sole bread winner.

Mary Ann in Wallingford, Connecticut

75 months ago

Wow, this is great. I don't know how this came up on my computer but it did and I wish to comment also. I know how everyone feels. I have been out of work for almost a year, having had my job eliminated by the company due to downsizing. I LOVED my last job and would still be there and doing well if that didn't happen. I have 20+ years experience and have worked hard all my life. I have applied to at least 60 places in the last 10 months and although I was totally qualified for many of the jobs, even when they narrowed it down to 10 people or so, including me, I didn't get the position. I really believe it is because of my age. I am also partially handicapped which is another reason why I feel I am not being hired. What are we supposed to do? I need a paycheck.

I know this is discrimination. It is SO unfair. Good luck to all of you. I don't feel so rejected now that I know there are many others in the same boat!
Mary Ann

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Mary Ann, It's hard to prove age discrimation but handicapped? That's disgusting!! I know with me it's age. I am now giving up and decided to do online work. I found a few websites that offer a few bucks,coupons and gift certificates for filling out a survey on their wesites. I did did two and one for a major airline. I signed up for a whole bunch of them then will start weeding out the ones that have little interest in or do not pay well. It might not be an income but at least I'm using my brain and keeping it active.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Unemployed, I have thought about doing this, but am reluctant-my trust mechanism is non-existant these days. But perhaps I will give it a shot- gotta do SOMETHING, (even if it's wrong, as my dad used to say!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I am in the process of weeding out the bad from the good. I started out with at least 10 to 12 companies offering everything from money to coupons to points. I am down to 5. Right now being a mystery shopper is looking better and better. Also, survey companies pay either points or money. Right now I'm leaning towards only 2 companies that are worth my while.

75 months ago

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hi everyone, I am in the same boat and have posted this issue on forums here on Indeed. The age discrimination is all over. I am qualified, like you all, but can't get a job because I'm over the hill!! Teenagers, 20'somethings and 30'somethings are filling the positions. They do not have the experience we all have nor do they have work ethics. I worked in one place where they all did whatever they liked, long lunches, coming in late, leaving early etc. Guess who picks up the slack, yep, you guess it, US. We stand by our employers, we care about the job. But, you hit "THAT" age and it's over!! I can't understand it, baffles me to no end.!! I am considering getting online at home work. No one knows my age that way lol...

HI everyone! Something really needs to be done. Age is a large factor. The thing that gets me is that I am the same age as Hillary Clinton, and she is running for the highest office in our country. Yep, that is right, Maybe this needs to be pointed out to employers whom think we are over the hill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Mary Ann in Wallingford, Connecticut said: Wow, this is great. I don't know how this came up on my computer but it did and I wish to comment also. I know how everyone feels. I have been out of work for almost a year, having had my job eliminated by the company due to downsizing. I LOVED my last job and would still be there and doing well if that didn't happen. I have 20+ years experience and have worked hard all my life. I have applied to at least 60 places in the last 10 months and although I was totally qualified for many of the jobs, even when they narrowed it down to 10 people or so, including me, I didn't get the position. I really believe it is because of my age. I am also partially handicapped which is another reason why I feel I am not being hired. What are we supposed to do? I need a paycheck.

I know this is discrimination. It is SO unfair. Good luck to all of you. I don't feel so rejected now that I know there are many others in the same boat!
Mary Ann

Mary Ann,
Good luck in your job search...and keep checking these forums-talking to these folks has helped me alot in the past couple of weeks...just to know you are not alone is a good feeling! (It seems I have spent the past few months wondering what is WRONG with ME????)And who knows, they may have some tips we can utilize.
BTW, hello to a fellow CT resident! I live in the South now, but I am from Middlefield! My dad worked at the Blue Trail Range for years! I am missing New England!

75 months ago

Hey, thanks for responding to my comment. I'm from Wallingford and know Middlefield well. You wouldn't be missing New England now if you knew what the weather is like - grey, damp, and depressing. Seems like every other day is like this. Can't wait til Spring!

In the meantime, I will keep applying for jobs and pray something will come my way soon. I am NOT giving up and I hope others won't either. I am certainly not "over the hill" but I'm getting there!!!

Now that I have heard from several people regarding this, I feel better and I know it's not just me. Thanks again for responding.

Mary Ann

75 months ago

Good point. I will bring this up the next time I feel I am being discriminated against. If Hilary can run for President, we can get jobs.

Good Luck!!!

Mary Ann

75 months ago

Hey Dal, If you are serious about doing mysteryshopping or online survey forms check out a website that MSNBC recommends mysteryshop.org - full of good info and where you can make extra money. Lots of mysteryshopper websites are scams so mysterysop.org gives you a good insight to which are the good ones. I checked these out and they are ok
Inboxdollars.com, surveyspot.com and vilition.com Research first just don't jump in first. I do inboxdollas and surveyspot right not. Not much money or points (you can get both with certain companies)but it keeps me busy while I'm looking for work. Mysteryshop.org gives you a BB much like this, Violtion is a free website to get jobs such a demonstrators (instore stuff),mysteryshopping,survey forms to fill out etc. I am thinking of doing mysteryshopping or focus groups. Also, try eJury.com it's an online mock jury run by lawyer's. A friend of mind does it,pay isn't going to make you a millionair but heck it's fun. Good luck and please keep us posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Found a good article on "older workers", unfortnatey I can not find it online, only in my local paper but they recommend this book:
"Finding a Job Afte50: Reinvent Yourself for he 21st Cetury" by Jeanete Woodward, (Career Press, $14.99). I'm going to check amazon.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hi Everyone: I have done a little research today. If you go to Retirementjobs.com, you will find a great website for people 50 and over who are looking for a job.

I have used this website before. Unfortunately, I haven't been on it in some time.

Also, if you put in your web search "jobs for people over 50" and search, you will find lots of websites. Not all of them are good, but some are helpful. The AARP website is good too.

Good Luck.

Mary Ann

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hey Hannie!! Been a long time since you posted. How are you doing? I see you like your new job. I'll give it a shot and visit the webite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hannie in Columbia, South Carolina said: Good and I hope you like what you see. Let me know....thanks

Hannie, I'm sorry selling insurance is not to my liking. I have been selling in another industry and didn't like it. Thanks

75 months ago

Mary Ann in Wallingford, Connecticut said: Hi Everyone: I have done a little research today. If you go to Retirementjobs.com, you will find a great website for people 50 and over who are looking for a job.

I have used this website before. Unfortunately, I haven't been on it in some time.

Also, if you put in your web search "jobs for people over 50" and search, you will find lots of websites. Not all of them are good, but some are helpful. The AARP website is good too.

Good Luck.

Mary Ann

I checked out retirementjobs.com and it seems they have more agencies then an actural company. There is also retireeworkforce.com which again lists more agencies. But, hey it's worth a looksee.

75 months ago

Hannie, I thought it was selling insurace but regardless I have no interest in anything like that. I'm licensed in property management and would feel uncomfortable in a field I know nothing about with or without help. Luck to you

angela mugnaini in Springfield, Virginia

75 months ago

I am glad not to be alone in this job hunting frenzy. 53 years old trying to find a part-time job 12-15 hours per week. 25 + years in management and customer service. No responses. I am now convinced after reading this website that it is discrimination. Employers who hire youngsters get what they desrve!

It's me in Hyattsville, Maryland

75 months ago

I'm sorry not to be rude but young people are creative and have fresh ideas. That's why employers hire us. But don't irritated with young people we don't make the rules.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

It's me in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I'm sorry not to be rude but young people are creative and have fresh ideas. That's why employers hire us. But don't irritated with young people we don't make the rules.

You are not rude, you have an opinion like the rest of us. Older mature workers have fresh ideas too. We bring something to the table just like a younger worker does. I personally feel that the reason companies do not want to hire us is: they are afraid we will take their jobs (most supervisor was younger),we will retire before we get to know the position, we can't do as much as the younger worker, we "live" back when.., we get sick more often because we are at THAT age. The list can go on but you get my drift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angela mugnaini in Springfield, Virginia

75 months ago

Right on! There is much to be said about experience, just because you turn 5o does not mean you are dead to the world...
Younger employees are cheao labor, thats why they are hired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Displaced you are a trip!! I'm giggling here because you point out mistakes I would have never picked up.. and that is a kick for me because I was a proof reader for technical document company years ago!! Guess that is part of being OLD lol I can't pick those things up any more lol....Guess my english and grammar ain't not so good rofl!!

75 months ago

Displaced, I am open to whatever job I can qualify for. That's a great idea. Also, I found a website for you to write about "things". associatedcontent.com and reviewstream.com I am thinking about doing associatedcontent.com seems very interesting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rabelais in Peck, Kansas

75 months ago

Much appreciation to the clear reasoning from DLP in Denver. One comes to discussions such as this in hopes that there may analysis of a problem upon which one can structure a framework for a solution and, while many others here have lent validity to D.'s assertions, this sums it up nicely.
While I despair, along with all of you, that there seems to be a great deal of squandering of resources going on in the business world's preference to invest in cannon fodder rather than war horses, I equally despair that so many here take the most fundamental elements of communication (style, a dictionary, a sense of commonweal) as a mere nuisance. I, and presumably any potential employer, expect more "worldliness" from those who have had so much more experience in "the real world". Since the business of business is business, and all business relies on clear and accurate communication, I don't think I'm too far off base here in suggesting this might be a problem.
As for my own shoddy treatment at the hands of those with the power to make me gainfully employed, it would be of little use to name names or recall injustices. They happen to the young, too. I have begun to believe that it is indeed the young who can offer us the most promising path to fulfillment. They, too, are restless and dissatisfied. They, too, are looking to reinvent the way business is commonly done and find a better path. The keenest among them will know change comes on the back of experience. If you are fortunate enough to meet one of these people, hold them dear, swallow your ego and proceed.

75 months ago

Rabelais in Peck, Kansas said: Much appreciation to the clear reasoning from DLP in Denver. One comes to discussions such as this in hopes that there may analysis of a problem upon which one can structure a framework for a solution and, while many others here have lent validity to D.'s assertions, this sums it up nicely.
While I despair, along with all of you, that there seems to be a great deal of squandering of resources going on in the business world's preference to invest in cannon fodder rather than war horses, I equally despair that so many here take the most fundamental elements of communication (style, a dictionary, a sense of commonweal) as a mere nuisance. I, and presumably any potential employer, expect more "worldliness" from those who have had so much more experience in "the real world". Since the business of business is business, and all business relies on clear and accurate communication, I don't think I'm too far off base here in suggesting this might be a problem.
As for my own shoddy treatment at the hands of those with the power to make me gainfully employed, it would be of little use to name names or recall injustices. They happen to the young, too. I have begun to believe that it is indeed the young who can offer us the most promising path to fulfillment. They, too, are restless and dissatisfied. They, too, are looking to reinvent the way business is commonly done and find a better path. The keenest among them will know change comes on the back of experience. If you are fortunate enough to meet one of these people, hold them dear, swallow your ego and proceed.

HUH???

75 months ago

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida said: HUH???

HUH??? I have no interest in what the younger generation says when it comes to work ethics. 90% of our youth have no idea about ethics or morals. The other 10% do. That is a small percentage but at least they know right from wrong. The younger generation shugs everything off and do whatever they like to do for themselves, self-gratification. I did my job, I worked o/t without compensation to make sure my days work was not left undone. I came in early, left late and the younger co-workers got the raises, got away with more at work (they didn't work). My pay raise wasn't there then I was told it would be. A younger co-worker got a raise because she demanded it from the employee. I didn't, guess that was my fault, I didn't run into the manager and yell and scream I WANT A RAISE OR I LEAVE. I quit instead, wrong? maybe to some, but if you are treated like an piece of trash because of your age that has nothing to offer then you leave. Younger workers contributions at work do not go unnoticed, mature workers contributions do!! Back stabbing? Yes it goes on all the time with the younger worker. Mature/older whatever you want to call us, we do not back stab!! We are open, we are trustworthy but again we are OLD!! That is the point!! Am I bitter and angry, you bet I am. I never thought workers in our generation were treated this horrible way. Guess I was naive.

Rabelais in Peck, Kansas

75 months ago

I am sorry you found yourself in an unfortunate situation, however I have found that categorical statements are frequently incorrect. I know of no broad slice of humanity that is 90% anything, let alone united in a work ethic that simply doesn't work.
I cannot argue that this was not the case in your own experience, but I can argue that in my own I have employed enthusiastic, well meaning people who were 20 and even 30 years younger than myself. Additionally, It has been my good fortune to have worked, albeit part-time, in places where the staff is much younger but who have treated me with a high degree of bonhomie and respect.
Have I known slackers? Yes, of course. They exist at all age ranges. Witness "Wally" in the Dilbert comic strip. Or the guy with the stapler fetish in the movie "Office Space". These cultural icons demonstrate that something we all know - there are people who somehow get by by doing less than nothing. That is not our problem.
Our problem is that it is somehow perceived that to knowingly invest a company's capital into a demographic age range which may cause a financial burden (see Denver, above) is less desirable than to scatter that investment among numerous unknowns who may leave (or be forced to leave) the company before those liabilities set in. If there is a culprit here it is the management, not the youngsters.
It seems to me that by decrying the young you are engaging in the very ageism which we are righteously against.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh dear me, You seem to be venting also but am I the object of your venting? I stick with my original statement of 90% have no work ethics or morals. I will not response to the next comment, that I am sure will come, it's a useless waste of my time. You do not get the point!! So, whatever and talk to the hand!!

75 months ago

Displaced, you are right on target again. Let's paint this picture - a young babe flashes, an old lady flashes, who do you think will be in trouble? The old lady of course because the young babe can get away with it becasue she is after young and didn't know better YEAH RIGHT!! Not a pretty sight

Rabelais in Peck, Kansas

75 months ago

I apologise to FL and CO for ruffeling feathers. This was not my intention. I simply believed we might explore solutions to a problem in which we all share some of the victimhood... and some of the blame.
I am certain there are untold sets of experiance with which I have only fleeting familiarity, but the idea that someone might use sex to advance their career isn't one of them. This is not only wrong but the EEOC ensures that any manager (or employee) that attempts such subject to some fairly draconian and severe measures. Any such behavior is tolerated at the company's extreme peril.
Not so with age discrimination. To change this we have to stop looking for demons and start looking for allies, and I do believe we can find quite a few of them in those who are under 30.
I leave you now. Best wishes and good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Apology accepted
EECO could care less. They only act if you have enough proof to go after the person or persons or company for that matter. Females all over the world use sex to get something or to work their way up the corporate ladder. It might be something minor like an extra button left undone. A skirt a little shorter. Men on the other hand can use the flirt technique. Females fall for that because they are hungry for companionship. Have seen both senerios over and over and I've been working since I have been 16 and I'm now 63. Seen everything there is to see and am a lot wiser to the tricks (excuse the pun) of the trade. We have no allies in the age discrimination arena. We can't fight it at all, it exists and there really isn't anything we can do until society itself stops the commericals for "look younger, have more pep in the you know what department, stay young, get on that diet to be 100 lbs.! etc. I'm not saying we all can use a little uplift now and then but to make young females and males think they have to look like that and act like that is wrong. We all have to change society and it should be the older generation speaking to the younger generation and guiding them through this sexual maze of adulthood.

75 months ago

You are so right. That was a great comment, unlike many of the others who seem like they just want to pick on each other or whine about their situation.

Hopefully, when and if Hilary gets in the White House, many things will change!

Until then, we have to just keep moving on and keep trying to find work. All good things come to those who wait!

Make each day count as we never know what tomorrow will bring.

Take Care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chavela in Clearwater, Florida

75 months ago

I am in the same boat..I might be qualified but we have young clientel. Like i cant talk...i so tired of being discriminated. first because i am black then cause i am a womyn and now cause i am and old black womyn...can a sistah get a break?...well, my friend just told me about this company that you can work from home as a travel agent and make a living..she says she is getting 6k mo.so i am investigating and will let yall know...will find out more..or has any one heard of YTB..gonna do my research....

75 months ago

Displaced, Your comments are just great!! Keep it up!! And by the way... the service department has not called yet to follow up on the recent visit to the dealership. I'm waiting!!

75 months ago

Don't feel alone out there. There is discrimination!! My brother was a big wig with Frito Lay for 30yrs. Early on when he was only district manager he was told he could not hire anyone over the age of 50. Yes that is right the 'ole' age of 50. He was to tell each individual they had filled the job with someone more qualified. It was company policy, however it kinda bit him in the rear. His goal was to work until the age of 65 or longer, but last August he was forced into retirement at the age of 57, he was told either retire or be terminated with no retirement benefits, so of course he is now retired and trying to find a part-time job to supplement his income. He now knows how those that were over 50 felt when he turned them down. Knowing this to be a fact, I am more than sure that there are more employers that have the same policy, use the same line to beat the charges of discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Unbelievable, Linda! In a previous position where I was responsible for interviewing, hiring, etc, I actually preferred someone older b/c it was a pretty sure bet they were settled, wouldn't be relocating, and were so much more job conscious than a 20- something. In all my years of working w/others, it seemed the younger they were, the higher the turnover rate and more sick days, etc. WTH are these managers THINKING????
Years ago I worked for a doctor, and she hired on the basis of personality. That was THE nicest group of folks I have ever worked with. She truly believed that anyone interested in the job could be trained...wow, where did that attitude go ...? And let me assure you, that office ran like clockwork. I hear so much about office politics, personal phone calls, coworkers not pulling their weight. And not to condemn younger workers (we've all been there ourselves), but in my personal experience,many of these office problems were because of the younger ones and lack of work ethic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Dal, I have always said there no work ethic among the younger generation. I once worked in an office where the "younger" staff workers would go out to lunch and coming back tipsy, most had a liquid lunch. The older workers in the company did their own work load plus take up the slack of these tipsy co-workers. Did resentment grown within the department? You bet it did, in fact, got so bad no one was communicating with each other. That is just one example of issues with the younger generation. I was the younger generation once, as you pointed out we were all there at one time, but I think society has changed to the point where work ethics is an unheard word. Our generation we were taught at an early age, repected, good work ethics and put your nose to the grindstone. Kids today do not know what that means. Society as a whole has gone down hill in that area. So sure we have techology etc but moral and ethics? Nawwww!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Yes! And this really bothers me. Alot of these kids haven't been taught anything about working for what they want...I saw it for years in the insurance industry...they'd turn 16 and mommy and daddy would them buy a brand new car. I don't even want to talk about the claims area and percentage of totaled vehicles in those situations. It really was staggering and very frightening. So many of the younger ones now simply have a sense of entitlement about them- it makes me nuts! The cell phone thing is really a sore spot w/me...and that's not just the kids either! But, I digress...the point is, you nailed it when you said society has gone downhill in the morals area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Did also want to mention that I have kids who are grown, the youngest is 23 and they don't "get" these younger kids either...my son is a senior at the local university and works nights- he says it's unreal the number of guys who stay for a couple of weeks and then quit b/c "the work is too hard." (It's a physically demanding job.) He has nothing but disdain for them. Makes me feel better sometimes...I did SOMETHING right! HA!

75 months ago

I have two children and instilled values, work ethics and morals in both. They have turned out to be a part of the younger generation who have the above qualities with the jobs they hold. Not too many parents do this today. My grandchild has a cell phone at age 6. I told my family that it is uncalled for at such a young age. I got oh Mom it's today's world. I can't understand it, I instilled all these values with them but their children it goes unheeded!

74 months ago

I worry about my granddaughter too sometimes. She is only 2, but my daughter is already over-buying for her. She can afford it, but that's not the point- it kills me to see her playroom stuffed to the gills w/toys she doesn't even know are there! I get to hear, "But she's an only child!" Well, so was she before the other two came along....they played with boxes! HA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I don't think I even played with a box but my kids did. We were so poor that we played with rocks lol.... Couldn't afford to purchase anything that came in a box. Out of truck maybe lol....

Same here with my grandkids.. they have more toys then they know what to do with. The 6 year old has a laptop!! Go figure!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Washington, District of Columbia

74 months ago

AMEN- SOMEONE ELSE IS FEELING MY PAIN. AFTER 15 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WORKING IN THE FINANCIAL FIELD NO ONE WILL HIRE ME. I AM 52 YEARS OLD. I CANNOT EVEN GET A JOB ANSWERING A PHONE. OH WELL I GUESS UNEMPLOYMENT WILL PUT ME ON THEIR PAYROLL.

Linda Sharp in Cornelius, North Carolina said: Disappointed, I am with you, I am not retired, however relocated, and was looking for employment. I have over 17 years experience customer service, as well as sales etc. I go for an interview, waste my time as well, the ad for the job mentions college grads. Of course as you do I get negative response, call saying someone more qualified received the job. I am thinking I had 14 or 14 years experience under the ole belt before this person was born, and they want me to believe that it was experience instead of age. Ridiculous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Ann in New Haven, Connecticut

74 months ago

Hi! I agree with you totally. Another scam that CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster, etc. use is that they post the same job for a whole month, just to get people to reply so they can get their email address and application with all their personal info and then when you reply they say "Don't give up, keep trying...." Kelly Services is another one. I registered with them for an Administrative Assistant position last year for which I have 10 years experience. They told me "Oh we only put that in so people will call and register with us." I was really ticked off at that. Right now, I have two good prospects, and four agencies looking for work for me, after doing all the testing and paperwork which is a joke. After 20plus years as a secretary, I know how to type, do Excel(!), data entry, etc. etc.! What a waste of time. The newest agency I went to couldn't even get their computers to work properly so I could do all the tests. See, we are still better and smarter than computers!!!!!!!
I am TOTALLY and maybe overqualified for a couple of the positions I am waiting to hear about. Let's just see if they pick a younger person with LITTLE experience who will leave the position in six months because they don't like it or think they can get something better. I know of a young woman who has changed jobs four times in the last year and still gets hired. What's up with that?!!!
Sorry, just felt like venting tonight! As always, GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

Mary Ann

Pat in Lehighton, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I agree with all of you. I have been sending out resumes for five months and still do not have a job. I am also retired and need to supplement my Social Security. I was an office manager for 20 years, and this does not seem to make a difference. I too do not get call backs from my resume submissions; where did these companies learn proper business etiquette?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.