age is a factor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Judy in New York, New York

79 months ago

I agree age is a factor. I had 3 call backs for one position and when I got to the Director, suddenly they were looking for someone with different experience.

Yeah, right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina

74 months ago

I also think my age has been a factor in the fact of not being able to find a position for six months. I have good skills, experience, personality, education, etc. I am actually over qualified for many of the positions I have applied for. I think they are looking for someone they can get 20-30 years out of instead of 10-15. I know it is illegal to discriminate based on age, but I know that it is done. I am also trying to get back into the social services field for which my B.A. and M.A. qualify me. However, it has been 20 years since I did that kind of work because I stayed home and raised a child and then worked at a receptionist position at my church for 6 years. Now people tell me I have the education but not the recent experience, or I have the recent experience, but I think they want someone younger. I am not giving up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

A bunch of Bull in Covington, Kentucky

74 months ago

Judy in New York, New York said: I agree age is a factor. I had 3 call backs for one position and when I got to the Director, suddenly they were looking for someone with different experience.

Yeah, right!

age is a factor, been to a lot of interview and at 53 even though with a lot of experience, the your person gets the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

brittney in Kissimmee, Florida

74 months ago

i am having a similar problem i only have experience as a automotive technician and have no other experience and no ones to hire me because i'm 17 with only two years as a mechanic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in Cleveland, Ohio

65 months ago

YES, I honestly believe that age has a negative impact on the response that a "seasoned" job applicant receives from an employer. I have even tried websites that cater to the older person seeking employment, but there are few or no jobs in your area of expertise. What is a person supposed to do? If you choose to seek more education, you will really be too "old" upon completion! Is public assistance the only recourse?? HELP!!

cindy67901 in Clifton, New Jersey

63 months ago

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: I also think my age has been a factor in the fact of not being able to find a position for six months. I have good skills, experience, personality, education, etc. I am actually over qualified for many of the positions I have applied for. I think they are looking for someone they can get 20-30 years out of instead of 10-15. I know it is illegal to discriminate based on age, but I know that it is done. I am also trying to get back into the social services field for which my B.A. and M.A. qualify me. However, it has been 20 years since I did that kind of work because I stayed home and raised a child and then worked at a receptionist position at my church for 6 years. Now people tell me I have the education but not the recent experience, or I have the recent experience, but I think they want someone younger. I am not giving up!

I know the feeling,,I am going on 52 & I am too old. I dont understand why .... older people are more reliable

cindy67901 in Clifton, New Jersey

63 months ago

i am going to be in the street soon....unemployment goes so far & whats the sense of going to school for something when you are still old,.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

63 months ago

I have been seeking a job as receptionist/clerical/administrative for 7 months. I have 20 years doing that type of work and am a paralegal. I have been on 6 interviews that I felt went well. No job offer for me. When I check back after the positions have been filled I find a 20-30 yr old in the position I interviewed for. Older people are more dependable and bring a lot of experience with them. I know the job market is bad. I dont get it. I am looking in the right money range too...so its not that. So, what is it then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

grnacrz in Spartanburg, South Carolina

63 months ago

I was signed in as Thankful and Blessed in South Carolina in previous posts. Now it is going on 1 1/2 years without employment and I am 52 and very discouraged. I know there is someone out there who wants me! They should want us- we are seasoned, mature, hard workers and smart!!!

63 months ago

Can someone tell me what I could be doing wrong...? If anything? I check the newspaper the job boards, etc everyday..... and i send a resume and most of the time a cover letter to anything that looks clerical/administrative/receptionist...
Also, I have really good references.

grnacrz in Spartanburg, South Carolina

63 months ago

Me too,Jane. I do the same things you are doing. I think it's who you know not what your qualifications are. I rarely get a response back from anyone- once in a while a rejection letter. And even rarer--an interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

florgrl* in Ripon, Wisconsin

63 months ago

Jane in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: I have been seeking a job as receptionist/clerical/administrative for 7 months. I have 20 years doing that type of work and am a paralegal. I have been on 6 interviews that I felt went well. No job offer for me. When I check back after the positions have been filled I find a 20-30 yr old in the position I interviewed for. Older people are more dependable and bring a lot of experience with them. I know the job market is bad. I dont get it. I am looking in the right money range too...so its not that. So, what is it then?

I have had similar experiences interviewing as a Customer Service Representative. I was downsized from a major paper company 14 years ago and I've been working for half the money I used to earn, not to even mention the wonderful benefits that I had. In this area, temp services seem to control the couple of jobs out there and they are crooked places. I've passed their tests, often scoring 100 percent on them and the only job they came up with was for 5 days at $9.00 per hour, which I took. That was months ago and frankly I don't hold out much hope for a job. I'm 56 years old, but do not look old. But here's the thing: I think that in offices they are trying to stick with a young crowd of people who are easily manipulated. They never tell you when you're hired that 2 years later they're going offshore, yet I saw it coming with my last position, but stayed anyway. The last place I worked insisted that you sell product, in addition to servicing customers (60-70 calls a day), all on the promise of a commission. If management decided it was a bad month,then oops no commission that month. The younger crowd seemed to just suck it up, while the older people questioned it. Get the picture?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

cindy67901 in Clifton, New Jersey said: I know the feeling,,I am going on 52 & I am too old. I dont understand why .... older people are more reliable

You are more reliable than younger employees, I'm sure. But many of the managers that I've had lately are young themselves. The two last temp jobs that I had, my managers were about 24 years old. One of them didn't show up for work one day because she had a sick child. She didn't call in to work either. So maybe they identify with younger people, who may also have similar problems. Reliable is sometimes mentioned when I've had interviews, but not that often. It's a different world out there since I walked to the bus stop and then walked another mile from there to work, back in the 70's and 80's. And frankly, I'm counting the days until I get my social security, because this different world is not my cup of tea.

63 months ago

I totally see your point. The younger ones have not ...so to speak been around the block yet...I have to admint that I did get hired recently in a county job position and after five days I had to quit. The older women mgr was a terrible bully to those under her. I was sad to see such an abuse of power by a older female. By older she was in her late 60's. She should have known better but then again its takes all kinds. I would never have left that job could I have figured out a way to stay and deal with her.
I am very disappointed in the job market and the search but I am thinking you simply have to keep on plugging away till you get one. No other choice but to keep trying. We cant give up. I jut keep cutting corners where I can in exspense and try to hold on till it gets better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Yes, I see your point. The work place use to place a great value on dependable and experienced people. It really does not seem to be that way now. I have been on several interviews and they are not asking those kinds of questions now. It more these somewhat odd kinds of personality test...questions. I know things change but really...I am not sure they changed for the better.

63 months ago

Jane in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: I totally see your point. The younger ones have not ...so to speak been around the block yet...I have to admint that I did get hired recently in a county job position and after five days I had to quit. The older women mgr was a terrible bully to those under her. I was sad to see such an abuse of power by a older female. By older she was in her late 60's. She should have known better but then again its takes all kinds. I would never have left that job could I have figured out a way to stay and deal with her.
I am very disappointed in the job market and the search but I am thinking you simply have to keep on plugging away till you get one. No other choice but to keep trying. We cant give up. I jut keep cutting corners where I can in exspense and try to hold on till it gets better.

Definitely, don't give up. I totally have days where I cannot stand to even pull up jobs online, but then I go back to it the next day. The discouragement that I feel is that in the area where I live, the few jobs out there, seem to be bogus. The temp agencies control a lot of jobs and they are scary places these days. They send you tests over email. You can score 100 percent on them and still you don't get a phone call. Whether they go to younger people, or they simply have no real jobs, no one seems to know. I think the Attorney General should look into the situation.

63 months ago

Jane in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: Yes, I see your point. The work place use to place a great value on dependable and experienced people. It really does not seem to be that way now. I have been on several interviews and they are not asking those kinds of questions now. It more these somewhat odd kinds of personality test...questions. I know things change but really...I am not sure they changed for the better.

Funny you should mention personality test questions! I just had quite an experience with this. I submitted my resume online for a customer service rep position. They responded by first emailing me a data entry test. It was very simple and I scored 100 percent. Then I received an interview. I felt the interview went well. So then, the two interviewers told me I had to pass a personality quiz. They said there were no right or wrong answers, so how they decide if you pass is beyond me. I took this test, which they emailed to my home. But I felt it was really quite invasive and puzzling.

Questions like: If your food was bad at a restaurant, would you A)send it back or B) push it to the side of your plate.
So, are they looking for a timid sort of person who simply pays for bad food and wouldn't send it back?

Also, this test asked if I was a Liberal or a Conservative! Quite invasive, in my opinion. In fact, this test prompted me to email the President. I sent a very detailed letter to President Obama.
The crap you have to endure nowadays for a low paying job is ridiculous. I may not have that much more time in the workforce, but I sure don't want my grand-daughter to have this kind of environment to work in. So I have started to really complain about it.
Well, I've put more than my 2 cents in for the day. Good luck to all job hunters out there!

puppielove1947@sbcglobal.net in Columbus, Ohio

63 months ago

Judy in New York, New York said: I agree age is a factor. I had 3 call backs for one position and when I got to the Director, suddenly they were looking for someone with different experience.

Yeah, right!

I also agree that age IS a factor. I have great skills and when I apply ,I'm getting turned away. I never had trouble finding a job until now. I have visited the companies I have applied with and wouldn't you know it, a young girl barely out of high school has that position. I'm not giving up either but I feel that it may be a loseing battle.

Yeah, right again!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

puppielove1947@sbcglobal.net in Columbus, Ohio

63 months ago

florgrl* in Ripon, Wisconsin said: Funny you should mention personality test questions! I just had quite an experience with this. I submitted my resume online for a customer service rep position. They responded by first emailing me a data entry test. It was very simple and I scored 100 percent. Then I received an interview. I felt the interview went well. So then, the two interviewers told me I had to pass a personality quiz. They said there were no right or wrong answers, so how they decide if you pass is beyond me. I took this test, which they emailed to my home. But I felt it was really quite invasive and puzzling.

Questions like: If your food was bad at a restaurant, would you A)send it back or B) push it to the side of your plate.
So, are they looking for a timid sort of person who simply pays for bad food and wouldn't send it back?

Also, this test asked if I was a Liberal or a Conservative! Quite invasive, in my opinion. In fact, this test prompted me to email the President. I sent a very detailed letter to President Obama.
The crap you have to endure nowadays for a low paying job is ridiculous. I may not have that much more time in the workforce, but I sure don't want my grand-daughter to have this kind of environment to work in. So I have started to really complain about it.
Well, I've put more than my 2 cents in for the day. Good luck to all job hunters out there!

Good for you, honey. Someone needs to speak up. I'm tired of the abuse too. You have given me the incentive to write to the President also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Awesome! I hope other people start to complain to the President. After all, they expect Americans to work until they're 70. But none of those elderly people in Washington have to prove themselves. The 78 year old Senator John McCain said he didn't know anything about computers and didn't care if he ever learned. Too bad none of the rest of us have a choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

isthisallthereis in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Phone interviews? - I ace them! Qualified? - And how! Face2Face? oh, you're not young...
Will I get the job? - Do pigs fly?
Young interviewers feel threatened by you, don't want to work with their "mother", looking for people they can hang out with. Degrees and experience are just a formality. I get that. And I still blast my resume everyday, all day. I am still alive and I am still living. I can do this very well -
Perservere - To persist in or remain constant to a purpose, idea, or task in the face of obstacles or discouragement. (Life 101)

talfhouse@yahoo.com in Apache Junction, Arizona

41 months ago

That was very Inspirational as I'm really feeling alone these days I feel like my whole existance is working on nresume ,workshops and running around applying and internet "apply now" Thank you!

talfhouse@yahoo.com in Apache Junction, Arizona

41 months ago

Valerie in Cleveland, Ohio said: YES, I honestly believe that age has a negative impact on the response that a "seasoned" job applicant receives from an employer. I have even tried websites that cater to the older person seeking employment, but there are few or no jobs in your area of expertise. What is a person supposed to do? If you choose to seek more education, you will really be too "old" upon completion! Is public assistance the only recourse?? HELP!!

exactly!!!! I wish I could I know what you mean. That makes perfect sense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betsy in Bellmawr, New Jersey

40 months ago

A bunch of Bull in Covington, Kentucky said: age is a factor, been to a lot of interview and at 53 even though with a lot of experience, the your person gets the job.

Age is a factor in New Jersey. After 8 years as front desk receptionist at a Title Agency I was moved to the ""back"". Out of the blue. Given the job of the person who was transfered to my position. She is the best friend of a supervisor and 10 years younger than me. I am 61 now, that was 7 years ago. Never having done the work before I cried every day and mentioned it to some co-workers. I was brought into the supervisor and was told that I should have told her, not a co-worker. I didn't because I know I would have been let go. She placed me in another department and I was told that this is the last position available. I never asked to be changed in the first place. After a year of doing everything I was asked and cleared 26 file drawars, obtaining cancelled documents and cancelled mortgages I was let go. I cleared up everything from years of neglect by incompent employees. Out of the clear, just let go. I was one of 3 older employees. One the owner, one a relative. I have skills.

blfa in San Jose, California

39 months ago

You may want to try volunteering in the line of work that you are interested in.

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: I also think my age has been a factor in the fact of not being able to find a position for six months. I have good skills, experience, personality, education, etc. I am actually over qualified for many of the positions I have applied for. I think they are looking for someone they can get 20-30 years out of instead of 10-15. I know it is illegal to discriminate based on age, but I know that it is done. I am also trying to get back into the social services field for which my B.A. and M.A. qualify me. However, it has been 20 years since I did that kind of work because I stayed home and raised a child and then worked at a receptionist position at my church for 6 years. Now people tell me I have the education but not the recent experience, or I have the recent experience, but I think they want someone younger. I am not giving up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.