Regulatory Affairs training in Canada

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 573)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Catharine Red in Sudbury, Ontario

70 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am torn between Humber and Seneca College. I am interested in pharmaceutical regulatory affairs and would like to hear from graduates from each program.

There is a pretty big difference in the tuitions between these two schools, with Humber being more expensive. Humber also lists its co-op work term partners on the website whereas Seneca does not.

Both seem high quality... any insight/opinions would be much appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Scimom in Toronto, Ontario

70 months ago

Hi,
I am also interested in Regulatory Affairs in Canada; however, my background is somewhat different. I have a Ph.D. (from a U.S. institution) and 5 years postdoctoral experience in basic research in the area of Genetics. I have been looking into TIPT and AAPS as faster options for gaining credentials and knowledge of the area, but have found it very difficult to assess the quality of the education they provide and the sort of placement their graduates obtain. If there is anyone that can provide some guidance, or graduated from either one of this institutions, I would really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

RChoudry in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

Hello,

I have applied to the TIPT program and the Seneca program for Regulatory Affairs. I have conducted some research on both programs and have asked a collegue of mine that came from the pharmaceutical industry. Comparison of the two programs shows very similar ciriculums and course content. The biggest difference between the two would be that TIPT offers private career fairs for students and alumni while Seneca has a co-op term. My collegue has stated that her company hired two individuals from TIPT (from different programs) but that both the schools have a reputation for producing good quality candidates. Hope this helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ChemEngr in Montreal, Quebec

65 months ago

Evogenesis in Ottawa, Ontario said: I was just accepted into the Seneca Pharmaceutical RA program starting in January 2009. I looked into both the Humber and TIPT programs.

I currently work at a CRO and have had exposure to the RA field. My boss used to teach at the TIPT and would not recommend it to anyone. Be warned.

Humber and Seneca both have paid work internships at major pharma or Health Canada which lead to full-time employment upon graduation. However, it is extremely competitive to get in. For my class at Seneca they accepted 20 students out of 305 applicants. I had to write a skills assessment test (MC Reading Comprehension and Grammar) and a personal profile (Essay - Why do you want to apply, and short answer questions). You have to score very high on the MC for them to even consider reading your essay and profile. I scored 39/40 and wrote a compelling essay explaining my background and prior knowledge of the industry.

If you would like to know more about the admissions process write me an e-mail and we can discuss.

Cheers,
R

Hello Evogenesis,

I too am looking to apply to RA programs offered by the various colleges in Ontario.

Can you elaborate on what is wrong or lacking in the RA program at TIPT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dwaraka in Mississauga, Ontario

64 months ago

Evogenesis in Ottawa, Ontario said: I was just accepted into the Seneca Pharmaceutical RA program starting in January 2009. I looked into both the Humber and TIPT programs.

I currently work at a CRO and have had exposure to the RA field. My boss used to teach at the TIPT and would not recommend it to anyone. Be warned.

Humber and Seneca both have paid work internships at major pharma or Health Canada which lead to full-time employment upon graduation. However, it is extremely competitive to get in. For my class at Seneca they accepted 20 students out of 305 applicants. I had to write a skills assessment test (MC Reading Comprehension and Grammar) and a personal profile (Essay - Why do you want to apply, and short answer questions). You have to score very high on the MC for them to even consider reading your essay and profile. I scored 39/40 and wrote a compelling essay explaining my background and prior knowledge of the industry.

If you would like to know more about the admissions process write me an e-mail and we can discuss.

Cheers,
R

Thank you very much for the information. Can you pls explain what sort of small answer questions will be asked? do they conduct this test both at Humber and Seneca? pls provide more details about this test

Thank you

Dwaraka

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Iris in Mississauga, Ontario

63 months ago

Ohhhhhhhhh
I'm really depressed after reading your reply Evogenesis
I didn't know it is that much compatitive this program would be at Seneca :(
I applied to Seneca and Humber for the Sep 2009 program. But after I read your commet I don't think I'm able to do it because I'm a pharmacist graduated from another country.
Can you give me more details about the pre-admission test plz?
are you a canadian graduated?

Thank you
Iris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Iris in Mississauga, Ontario

63 months ago

Cheers,
R

Ohhhhhhhhh
I'm really depressed after reading your reply Evogenesis
I didn't know it is that much compatitive this program would be at Seneca :(
I applied to Seneca and Humber for the Sep 2009 program. But after I read your commet I don't think I'm able to do it because I'm a pharmacist graduated from another country.
Can you give me more details about the pre-admission test plz?
are you a canadian graduated?

Thank you
Iris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RANIAALAMDAR in Scarborough, Ontario

63 months ago

[QUODDDTE who="Scimom in Toronto, Ontario"]Hi,
I am also interested in Regulatory Affairs in Canada; however, my background is somewhat different. I have a Ph.D. (from a U.S. institution) and 5 years postdoctoral experience in basic research in the area of Genetics. I have been looking into TIPT and AAPS as faster options for gaining credentials and knowledge of the area, but have found it very difficult to assess the quality of the education they provide and the sort of placement their graduates obtain. If there is anyone that can provide some guidance, or graduated from either one of this institutions, I would really appreciadOte it![d/QUOTE]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maya in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

Hello every one,
I'm interested in pharmaceutical programs in AAPS and TIPT,but i'm not sure which one is a better option?
can any one provide any infromation about these colleges?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rima in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

Cheers,
R

Hi
Plz would you privide me with more details about the personal profile (Essay - Why do you want to apply, and short answer questions).
my e-mail is soni_81@hotmail.com

I really need your help
Thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dwaninath in Mississauga, Ontario

62 months ago

Rima in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi
Plz would you privide me with more details about the personal profile (Essay - Why do you want to apply, and short answer questions).
my e-mail is soni_81@hotmail.com

I really need your help
Thanx

hi,

please provide the above details in this forum so everybody could gain some knowledge

D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Evogenesis

62 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am a Canadian graduate from the University of Ottawa with a B.Sc Biopharmaceutical. I don't want to freely publish the entrance test questions on an internet forum, but if you provide your e-mail, I may privately answer your questions (depends on my mood for the day).

As for TIPT and AAPS, while they may provide faster accreditation they do not have the same reputation as Humber and Seneca nor do they offer a co-op internship. This is key as the internship then opens the door to full-time employment. The entrance requirements for Seneca and Humber are strict, but it ensures that the graduates are capable to communicate effectively and clearly in English.

The essay Q is essentially, why do you want to be in the program. So detail your past accomplishements and motivation for wanting to work in RA. You should have a good reason why you want to work in this field. They look for enthusiasm and professionalism in the answers so as to maintain our Seneca repuation.

Although I can't speak for Humber, the Seneca profs are highly qualified and professional instructors that in conjunction with the small class size really enhances the learning experience. I couldn't be more pleased with the education I'm receiving.

And one final note... Of my class of 20 most of the students are fresh bachelor/masters grads from Canadian universities with little to no pharmaceutical work experience. We have about 2 foriegn educated students. The reason for this is that the entrance test emphasizes your english grammar and reading comprehension skills. If you don't do well here, forget about the essay and short answer questions. So... even though one may have a doctorate, they may lose out if they score poorly on the grammar and reading as the two scores are combined to give a final mark. The top 20 final marks are chosen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MGani in Mississauga, Ontario

62 months ago

Hiee..

I have applied to humber for the RAQC (regulatory affaris and quality control Prog) for fall 09. I recently completed the written portion of the entrance requirement and am asked to to come in for an interview at humber. Can any one please help me prepare for the interview, as to what kind of questions to expect.

Please do let me know ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is manishagupta313@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Trusha P. in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if we have any students or professional who are attending or have attended Humber for RA. If so, please e-mail me at tpatel@uoguelph.ca. I have couple of questions regarding the interview process.

Thank you in advance.

MGani in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hiee..

I have applied to humber for the RAQC (regulatory affaris and quality control Prog) for fall 09. I recently completed the written portion of the entrance requirement and am asked to to come in for an interview at humber. Can any one please help me prepare for the interview, as to what kind of questions to expect.

Please do let me know ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is manishagupta313@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MOHAMMED N in Markham, Ontario

62 months ago

Evogenesis said: Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am a Canadian graduate from the University of Ottawa with a B.Sc Biopharmaceutical. I don't want to freely publish the entrance test questions on an internet forum, but if you provide your e-mail, I may privately answer your questions (depends on my mood for the day).

Hi, im currently doing my undergrad @ York University. i graduated from Seneca College with a Diploma in Biotechnology and then transferred over. i just had a few questions about the RA program and potential jobs in the future. i just wanted information like job descriptions, credentials, salary, etc. my email is nusrat.786@gmail.com. if you could help me out that would be much appreciated. thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elio Prashad in Woodbridge, Ontario

61 months ago

Hi Evogenesis,

I thank you for your help in answering numerous questions on this forum. I too, like most people on here have applied to the various programs: Humber, Seneca & TIPT.

Problem is this: TIPT say "ya, you're in, you start April 20th" but at that point I may not have even heard back from Humber and Seneca yet. I have my fingers crossed that they get back to us before then, but they have alot of interviews and profiles to go through.

anyways, up to this point my feeling has been that TIPT does offer a comparable program. Not really better or worse. The main difference being that TIPT doesn't have that co-op placement semester. One that other hand, their classes are 26 hours/week as opposed to the humber 19hr/week. Plus they start earlier and more often. One can start in april and be done be mid november. Also, class sizes at TIPT are limited to ~15ppl which allows for more access to the profs. I personally met with 2 of the profs and analyzed their credentials and it seems to me like they are fully qualified to teach the courses effectively (Msc Phd, industry experience).

So why all this buildup? Well the tuition fee is a huge factor. TIPT costs more than double that of either Seneca of Humber. And in the end you don't get that paid co-op placement. Majority of that is because they are a private college so they are not subsidized by the government. But I was also informed that some of their increased tuition is a result of their increased operating fees and so on (because they have a more intensive program, etc..)

So my question to you Evogenesis is this: You got me concerned when you say your boss used to be a prof at TIPT and he would not recommend it to anyone "be warned". Could you possibly expand on that a little? do you know why or could you perhaps ask them? I am curious to know what is it I'm not hearing from the people at the recruiting office at TIPT (I get the feeling like they are hiding something).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

to anyone who has any questions or comments about my post....please email me directly (as well as posting on here for people to read).

I would love to hear from you because the more information the better!!!

Thanks

elioprashad@msn.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rishi salwan in Delhi, India

61 months ago

if any1 is in canada den plz let me know wt is the current salary for pharmaceutical regulatory affairs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nada in Brampton, Ontario

60 months ago

what's the tuition for Senca RA program?

shravanb in Hyderabad, India

60 months ago

hai Evogenesis, iam a student who recently completed Masters in Pharmacy from india. i have aplied for Seneca for the regulatory affairs course. does seneca also provide paid internship for all the 20 students per batch. If yes does it will be helpful in getting a job soon after the course in Canada. please help me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

shravanb in Hyderabad, India said: hai Evogenesis, iam a student who recently completed Masters in Pharmacy from india. i have aplied for Seneca for the regulatory affairs course. does seneca also provide paid internship for all the 20 students per batch. If yes does it will be helpful in getting a job soon after the course in Canada. please help me out.

All students of the program are offered a co-op placement (internship) but you must still complete an interview and so on for that "job". It is a 4 month internship with full pay (Depending on the job, the pay may be different). After the 4 month internship, you go back to school for a 2nd semester. You may be able to secure a job at the same company after you complete your second semester....but that isn't always guaranteed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

nada in Brampton, Ontario said: what's the tuition for Senca RA program?

tuition for Seneca is approximately $5000. You can contact the school for exact figures.

Please note that IF you get into the program, and you pay the $5000. You will most likely make more than $5000 during your 4 month paid internship.

The first step is getting into the program. Enrollment is highly competitive and only a select few are admitted each year. Please see above posts for more details on enrollment testing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Molière Casmir in Karlsruhe, Germany

60 months ago

Hi all,

I am a CRA living in Germany who would like to live in Canada. Please what is the average salary of CRA with two years field monitoring experience in Quebec. Since I do not have any canadien experience, will this be a problem?

Many thanks

dwaraka in Mississauga, Ontario

60 months ago

Any body pls provide me the details about the colleges offering Regulatory Affairs course in Canada, apart from Seneca and Humber. Also pls tell me which one is recommended.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

dwaraka in Mississauga, Ontario said: Any body pls provide me the details about the colleges offering Regulatory Affairs course in Canada, apart from Seneca and Humber. Also pls tell me which one is recommended.

Humber - starts once each year in september
Seneca - starts twice each year (september, january)
TIPT - start 4 times each year (April, July, October, January)

Also note, Humber takes on 20 students, Seneca take on 35 (20 full time, 15 part time), and TIPT takes in 15 students each time.

Admission to both Humber and Seneca are very very competitive (IE they are difficult to get into). TIPT, on the other hand, is very easy to get into. TIPT offers a chance to start sooner and finish sooner, instead of waiting until september of next year to get into humber. TIPT are alot more expensive and looking at the quality of education in relation to the price, TIPT would be the least recommended.

TIPT - $12600
Humber - $5400
Seneca - $4900

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

shravanb in Pune, India

60 months ago

Hai Elio Prashad,
Thanks a lot for your reply full of valuable information. I have applied for humber this year but they accepted my application for Sept-2010.
Even I have applied for Seneca college this year on 4th of April, but since then i did not hear from the college that whether my application is accepted or not. Is there any means to track the status of my application with the college authorities of Seneca.

60 months ago

shravanb in Pune, India said: Hai Elio Prashad,
Thanks a lot for your reply full of valuable information. I have applied for humber this year but they accepted my application for Sept-2010.
Even I have applied for Seneca college this year on 4th of April, but since then i did not hear from the college that whether my application is accepted or not. Is there any means to track the status of my application with the college authorities of Seneca.

Glad I could be of help. Both Humber and Seneca had a deadline of February 1st, 2009 for all applications to start in september 2009. So any application you send in now (April 4th) will most likely be towards the 2010 semester. Give Seneca some time to get back to you and confirm that they have recieved your application. They will outline details about testing and other things you need to submit to them. They will also give you a screen name and password to access their system and follow the progress of your application.

Offers of admission for september 2009 have already been sent out by both Humber and Seneca. Keep in mind that although you are applying to both Humber and Seneca NOW and you want to start in september 2010, they will not accept people for september 2010 until around March 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

If you applied through "Ontario Colleges.ca" then you will have confirmation through their website that your application was sent. Once you have that, you just have to wait to hear from seneca.

Pauline S in Ontario

59 months ago

Hi Elio,

What is it about TIPT's education that makes it least recommended by you?

Pauline S in Ontario

59 months ago

Can anyone provide any more information about TIPT? Such as the employment rate-it's advertised as being very high. Has anyone here done TIPT's RA program?

59 months ago

First of all, let me state clearly that I have not attended TIPT.

My research on all three schools has led me to my decision to go to Humber and as a result I have turned down offers at both TIPT and Seneca.

Now, to address your question directly, I have a variety of reasons for ranking TIPT 3rd (out of 3 schools). First of all, understand my previous statement: "Looking at quality of education IN RELATION to price, TIPT would be the least recommended" My point here was that I don't see any major flaws in the TIPT curriculum, but the tuition cost is more than double that of any other school. And if I am going to pay twice as much money for tuition, I want to see that the education is at least twice as good.

I ask myself, "Why is this school so much more expensive? what do they offer that the other two schools do not offer?" I have contacted 2 profs directly at TIPT, 2 profs at Seneca, 1 prof at Humber and numerous human resources personnel in industry to see what they all have to say about the various schools/programs.

All of my contacts in industry have strong knowledge and confidence in the Seneca and Humber programs. They hire directly out of those programs and they know that they are getting high calibre employees with a vast knowledge of the RA field. Nobody knew or had any information to offer me about TIPT.

That gets me thinking, "if TIPT are twice as good, why is it that nobody I speak to knows anything about them?"

I was also strongly encouraged to take a course that incorporated a co-op semester. This is where you make your industry contacts, you learn hands-on the job and the RA field. At TIPT you just complete a 7 month program and you're done!

I hope this is helpful to those who are still deciding what they want to do.

My decision to go to Humber is based on a few things. Humber offers co-op, TIPT does not. Humber is more industry known and accepted, TIPT is not. Humber costs $5400, TIPT costs $12600.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

also, I believe I mentioned it in a post earlier.

The application process should be a pretty big indicator of which school you want to attend. All of this I have told you so far shouldn't be too much of a surprise but let me tell you how I see it.

At humber, they had me send in a transcript, an essay, and questionnaire. I also had to undergo an english spelling/grammer/sentence structure test and a personal interview.

Seneca was slighly different. I sent in a transcript, a survey, and completed an english spelling/grammar test.

TIPT only wanted to see me and know that I exist! I was told to come in for an interview. They did not need a transcript, they just took my word for it. And their "interview" consisted of them talking "trash" about the other two schools and selling TIPT to me. There was no "interview" and I was accepted immediately on the spot to their program! Although that did ease my nerves knowing that I got into at least one of the schools, it made me uneasy.

There is no secret, TIPT is not a publicly funded school, and that is reflected in the tuition AND the lack of co-op. They are a business and they want your money. My conversation with a TIPT grad gave me the impression that once TIPT has your money, their commitment to your education falls off.

Whichever school you choose to attend will no doubt teach you RA and help you get into the industry. My advise is obviously my opinion, and you may not feel the same way about it. It all depends on whether or not you got accepted into all 3 schools, then you can afford to pick and choose.

If TIPT is your only option, then by all means attend them because you're better off going to the RA program now than never at all right?

Pauline, please email me if you have any other questions. I tried to be in depth with my explanation above but I gotta head out in a second, I might be late for work. I will come back online after work and answer more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

They all advertise high employment rate, over 97% for Humber seneca and TIPT. You have to understand that that statistic is nice to see for anyone who is looking to spend their money on schooling.

The RA field is in high demand and it shows in the above stat for ALL THREE schools. Keep in mind that we don't know the other details.

For example, what is the employment rate NOW in this global recession? How many years after leaving school did those people find work? was it right away or 3 years later? finally, what kind of work are we talking about ? not everyone finds the ideal RA job straight out of school, sometimes you find yourself working at some other company hoping to springboard into an RA job later. Do they count those as well in their stats?

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your question directly but I guess my answer is to take those numbers with a grain of salt.

The best way to get a foot in the door, and from my industry contacts its the same: get a good co-op program that places you in the industry. You get a chance to work and make contacts. You most likely will even be hired directly by the same company that you did co-op with.

TIPT does not have a co-op, that made me very very nervous. And I had to say no to them as a result.

Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pauline S in Ontario

59 months ago

Thanks a lot for your in-depth answers Elio! You've definitely done your research. By all means, I value everything you've said. Unfortunately, unless we can speak to TIPT graduates from the RA program, we won't really know whether TIPT is worth the $$$$.

As an FYI, and because I'm interested in hearing your opinion, I'd like to share my reasoning behind TIPT's high tuition and easy admission process:
The tuition ($12,600) IS the screening out process...of course, I'm not supportive of this if it is true, but it makes sense [considering their overhead costs, and knowing how much scientific technology & maintenance costs are ($200K for HPLC ouch!)] So, maybe they do accept students to get their tuition, but I'm sure that if TIPT didn't follow through with finding placements for their students, then there would be negative blogs or negative reviews of some kind online--these I've yet to find (besides the reviews posted here).

You're again correct with respect to the availability of jobs in today's economy, I'm not concerned really with this because a newly founded acquaintance works for a science agency finding jobs for the unemployed, and has replied to my email saying that RA positions are what's in demand, plus TIPT has stated that only 1% of RA positions are posted on job sites, which brings me to another point. Of course, co-op placements are great, but:
1)there aren't any guarantees for long-term commitment
2)considering today's economy, by the time the 2nd semester is completed at Seneca these positions may already be filled
3)this ties in with the intense admission process given by Seneca & Humber: that is, by finding students to fill the co-op placements for these companies they are acting as an agency, meaning that they need to rigorously screen the applicants to avoid harming their relationship (and future co-op placements) with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pauline S in Ontario

59 months ago

..Continued...Lastly, I've seen a copy of TIPT's curriculum and think that it covers more. Mind you, unless I've actually taken the program I won't know how true this is. However, based on subject headings it does cover everything that Seneca does (including Technical Writing)--I haven't gone back to look at Humber's curriculum to compare--and more contact hours are spent on the topics at TIPT. Also, I personally welcome broader coverage of the relevant areas one should be knowledgeable of (e.g. TIPT's foundation module includes basic biostats & pharmacology), rather than just learning the basics to get the certificate and the co-placement, which is the impression I'm getting about Seneca, but for those of you that are reading this please form your own opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Raj in Bombay, India

59 months ago

I would like to get some suggestions to look forward my admission offer letter.I got admission letter from Humber for RA program startg frm sept session.I would be really thankful if nayone can provide me with some insight to co-op trainings in company and other job prospects as I am gonna spend gud amnt on this course.
Hope to listen soon from your end.

59 months ago

well Pauline, I'm glad that you have done some research of your own before making a decision. I guess there IS one thing I forget to mention.

The Seneca program, which is one of the programs in question, has a few differences. It is a "partial" RA program. Even when you look at the curriculum at Seneca you will see what I mean: Seneca's program is "Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs and Quality Control Operations"

The curriculum at Seneca will show you more in depth, alot of the work is based on the Quality Control aspects. And those that know, with a RA diploma, you CAN do a QC job, but the opposite is not true. Those with a diploma in QC are not fully qualified to do an RA job.

That being said, it is good to have a good QC foundation but when comparing the two fields (RA and QC) you will find they are very different indeed. A person looking to go into RA may not benefit from a program that focuses half the time on QC matters (I say half, but I'm not sure the exact ratio).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

regarding tuition. What I know for sure is that TIPT is not a publicly funded school (like Humber or Seneca).

Allow me to provide some background. In Canada, and many other countries, the "Community Colleges" are subsidized by the government using tax payers' money. Similar to high school, only those who went to private school had to pay for it, anyone attending public high schools attended for free.

Although each program (Humber, Seneca, TIPT) has subtle variations, for the sake of this conversation, they are all pretty similar. The difference is in the tuition. TIPT being non-government funded must charge higher tuition to cover their costs. Be advised that those who plan to attend humber or seneca who are not citizens of Canada will be looking at similar tuition costs to TIPT. If I can recall correctly, Humber's tuition for a non-citizen was doubled.

If we account for that difference (government funding), then yes all three school are quite similar in price. To those who did not get into Seneca/Humber, TIPT is an option. Out of 300+ applicants, only 30 got into each school. TIPT can now have the luxury of charging more money and those who want to go bad enough will pay it.

TIPT tried so hard to get me to commit to their school and pay my tuition. I was waiting to hear from Humber and Seneca before I made any decisions. The lady at the counter in the admissions office at TIPT explained to me clearly that they have their deadlines and class start dates set up in such a way that you are forced to make a decision before you hear from Humber or seneca. They are fully aware! I actually went along as if I was attending their April course and I heard from Humber the Friday before school started. So I called Ramesh's office and told him I was going to go to humber. He was very honest and helpful. He said that Humber is a great school with a great program and he encouraged me to take the humber offer over TIPT because I had the luxury of choosing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Cont'd...Ramesh explained to me as well that the RA program has very little overhead costs because there is no "lab" portion of the program. And there is no textbooks either. In a QC program you are working in a lab (which they have in-house at TIPT). But with RA, its all laws, theory and writing/presentations. Majority of your time is spent in class and tuition costs are going to cover profs salaries and so on. But equipment is a very minimal part of the equation.

finally. I don't have anything against TIPT. I apoligize if it seems that way from my responses.

I have seen a list of the various courses they offer and I am still thinking about perhaps picking up a few courses through them after I complete my RA diploma.

There is a 7 week long course on HPLC that I would love to pick up. In the past I worked at a research lab working with proteins. And only one person in our entire lab (50-60 ppl) was fully qualified to operate the HPLC properly and effectively.

Anyways, I hope that all these messages are helpful to those of you who are still considering which school to attend. As the years go by, TIPT will indeed have built up presence in the RA industry. For now the RA program is still quite new and not many campanies know them. With time that will change. The issue will always be tuition. Can you afford it? Do you have the luxury of choosing another school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sadee in Toronto, Ontario

59 months ago

Dear Elio Prashad,
I have an English Exam for RA at Humber next week. Could please kindly tell me what types question and essay I may have. Is it difficult? Is there any way I can get help from Internet for the preparation? I appeared for TOEFL and IELTS before and had good score. Does that preparation will help for this exam?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Please e-mail me at sadee1974@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Hamilton, Ontario

59 months ago

Hello, I'm interested in applying for regulatory affairs programs at both Humber and Seneca. I realize that submission of a resume is required. Does anyone know what sort of work experience is preferred? I would like to spend this year getting some experience. Thanks to all that reply :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Evogenesis in Ottawa, Ontario

59 months ago

Hello everyone,

I'm currently enrolled in the RA program at Seneca having started in January 2009 and now on my summer co-op work term.

Elio raises a lot of valid points in his comparison between schools and programs. It is true that Seneca focuses on Quality control (QC) aspects as well however, I now feel that this is an essential background component necessary to understand and analyze the QC documents that a Regulatory Affairs (RA) associate works with every day.

For my own curiosity, I have been researching the Humber program and have spoken to several students both past and present. In particular I'm concerned with how it compares to the education we receive at Seneca.

While I feel the two programs are equivalent in many ways, I feel that the quality component is not distinct from RA. A quality control technician is the person who does the tests while a quality assurance associate is the one who says which tests to do. The RA guy has to be able understand quality assurance documents and processes since much of what they do is inter-related and evidence they submit to the government are often quality assurance documents

Having said that I'm sure you are all very interested in knowing how the co-op student employment works. A placement is by no means guaranteed. As for the extremely high employment rates, just how do you think these schools measure that? Usually by mailing out a survey to which maybe 10% will respond. They usually isn't much compliance in those surveys so don't take too much stock in claimed employment rates by any school.

cont...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Both Humber and Seneca take in 40 students a year but Seneca separates them into 2 groups of 20, starting in Jan and Sept respectively. Even so, since I started in the summer, I was competing with my 19 classmates and the 40 students from Humber.

The coop department at Seneca is tasked with finding placements for students and prepare you for the interview process. Students apply for positions as they become available using their CV and a cover letter. Some positions are exclusive to Seneca while others are open to Humber and also the universities. It would appear that previous graduates of Seneca who are now in a position to hire students prefer to hire exclusively from us. I am sure Humber graduates show the same loyalty.

This is where it is important to have good interview skills and a strong background. From speaking with former graduates, in previous years there were many more positions available and you could afford to be picky. Now with the recession, while there are still jobs in the field, companies are cutting back on these programs.

In my class 17 students were employed within two weeks from finishing class at Health Canada, major pharma's, contract regulatory agencies, smaller biotechs and CROs. A significant number of students went to Health Canada which required moving to Ottawa for the summer.

Seneca seems to have stronger ties to Health Canada while Humber is closer to industry. Humber also has a stronger focus on medical device regulation which is a growing industry with many smaller players.

From what I've been told less than half of the Humber class had found placements. Many placements were cancelled after the interview stage and they had several volunteer positions offered. Humber had only one Health Canada position which was then cancelled, and I can attest that I see far more Seneca graduates than Humber working alongside me.

cont...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I find that Seneca and Humber both do a good job in preparing you to work in RA. Perhaps TIPT does hands on QC training in their RA program, but at Seneca QC/QA is all theory. They cover; the types of tests used, formulation and manufacture, recall procedures, SOPs, etc... I must say that so far I'm very pleased with my education and feel it has prepared me well for my present position.

Everything that is related to regulatory affairs is available for free on the internet. Anyone can choose to educate themselves if they so desire. A great starting point is the Health Canada website you can find the Food and Drugs Act, policies, forms and guidances. The ICH guidelines makes for some more technical reading but they are what the policies and guidances are based on.

Katie, I had some prior experience at a CRO which is how I learned about regulatory affairs. Pretty much anything related to the pharmaceutical industry is great experience to put on a resume.

Sadee in Toronto, Ontario

59 months ago

Hi Evogenesis,
Thanks for letting us know more about Seneca. I am not sure whether I will get a chance to Humber for this fall session or not since I am in waitlisted, I will try my best for Seneca, January 2010. I worked for 2 years in QA and about a year in Prodcut Development. Could you please suggest me how can I make my position strong to get the chance in Seneca. I will have to appear for English test, which is mandatory even though I have acceptable score on IELTS. How hard is the english exam? What else is necessary to be competitive? Do I need to face any interview? According to the Canadian standard, I got B.Sc in Biochemistry and Ph.D in Cell biology. Apart from my Pharmaceutical experience, I have Postdoc experience in USA. Will all that count? By any means I want to get into the program. I like Seneca program because it is pharmaceutical focused and it includes QA operations. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

59 months ago

Hi Sadee,

Yes, you will still have to take a multiple choice Canadian standardized test for reading comprehension and grammar. You will need to score at the minimum 92-93% in order to be considered any further. This is what I was told was the cutoff for my group, it may go slightly higher or lower depending on the number of candidates.

From your background and experience, I can see that you would make an ideal candidate for the course. All you have to do is score high enough on the English proficiency test.

Good luck.

marie in Etobicoke, Ontario

59 months ago

Hi Evogenes,

If I try to apply to either Seneca or Humber, when is the fastest time that I could start the course and end the course.

Will they accept someone who's educational background is from Electronic Engineering but worked in Quality Assurance for over 10 years and in Regulatory Affairs (Medical Device) for over 4 years?

Thanks

Jennifer

58 months ago

I would like to know what salary I can expect right after I finish my postgrad program in regulatory affairs. Anyone know? Also, what is the entry level position called? reg affairs associate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

humber grad in Mississauga, Ontario

58 months ago

I just wanted to make a comment here since I am a humber grad in RA. First off, I do not think it is that difficult to get in. I was under the impression they were taking 60 students this year. Well even if they are taking 40, which they took last year, they do not have enough internships for everyone. Currently at least 15 people don't have internships and it has almost been 3 months since the end of the program. In addition, as of right now the Canadian RA field is jam packed and it is not easy to get a job. I post this not to scare anyone, but just to give you some real information as humber is not going to. Its all about the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rishi salwan in Karnal, India

58 months ago

I HAVE DONE B-PHRMACY IN INDIA AND NOW I AM GOING 2 APPLY 4 QC ANALYST IN TIPT .PLZ TELL ME BROTHER IF DIS COURSE HELP ME IN GETTING JOB IN TORONTO.PLZ E-MAIL ME AT rishi_salwan1987@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.