Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable research assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective research assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

dianatobin in Orangeburg, South Carolina

59 months ago

I would like to know what kind of training is needed to become a research assistant? Do I have get in a certificate program or a dipolma or an associate program? I can I find this information my home state of ORANGEBURG SOUTH CAROLINA 29115.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cantonamia in Providence, Rhode Island

36 months ago

Hi!

The best way to became a research assistant is starting with a degree in sciences, social sciences, humanities, marketing, computer technology ... you name it, and once you start, look around campus, through all departments looking for student positions. You will be surprised to find how many there are. A degree minimun is required, and don't worry, if you really want to be a research assistant, you will be one. Good luck!

Carolina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mangarellamatthew in State College, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History and a Master of Arts degree in History. I found history majors/law/and government people could work as a research assistant. I would like to know since I did graduate and no longer associated with a college/university in higher education where else could I work at as a research assistant. Currently I am volunteering at the United Way of Centre County doing research and data entry work.

Matt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TreadingLitely in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

You could work as a research assistant at a museum or at some nonprofit (your volunteering at United Way so you're probably already familiar with idealist.org). Also, don't rule yourself out as a research asst in a governmental agency just because you studied history (vs. law or government/poli-sci). Check out the federal gov's website (www.opm.gov). Federal gov will usually give you brownie points for having an MA and occasionally they do have general RA positions (for example working for the Smithsonian).
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mangarellamatthew in State College, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

Thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.