Was my interview too short?? Can one mistake oust me from my employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

denimfan3123 in Vancouver, British Columbia

29 months ago

I just had a job interview for a research assistant position today. It only lasted 10-15 minutes. There was no set timeline but I was expecting 20-30 minutes. There was the hiring manager and the principal investigator interviewing me together. The PI asked only about 5-6 general questions. I really could not get a warm vibe from the PI although I'm not sure if he was busy or not at the moment. The hiring manager chimed in time to time with questions about my availability and other CV related questions but there was no personality related question. I answered all questions without faltering and to the best of my ability except at the end. When I was asked if I had any questions, the questions I had prepared blanked out...I ended up asking a weird question which didn't even come out right that I knew the answer to. At the end, however, the hiring manger introduced me to some of the colleagues I would be working with and I had a brief talk with them. Now what troubles me the most is the questions part at the end. I had read up on publications and prepared couple questions based on the articles and the organization in general but could not for the love of god remember them at that moment...I really wanted this position and I was wondering what I can expect and if there was any amendments that I can make. I've already sent the thank you emails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

29 months ago

In the future, write your questions down and have them on you for the interview. I've written down questions before for past interviews, because I know when I'm nervous I'm going to blank out and forget when the dreaded "so, do you have any questions for me?" comes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

denimfan3123 in Vancouver, British Columbia

29 months ago

Thanks, yes I'll probably do that in the future interviews. However, do you think that the mistake I made for asking questions would be lights out for the job position? Normally I would have a hunch but I really can't gauge because they did talk about my availabilities, and introduced me to the colleagues, both of which would not be necessary if they thought I wasn't up to the task.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.