It's not fair for RT new graduate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 79)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Julie Dinh in Westminster, California

67 months ago

Hi. I'm new RT. I just graduated this year. I have been trying to look for a position as the hospital as respiratory therapist. I had CRT and RRT. I have been applied for more than 10 applications around Orange County, San Diego and Los Angeles. Some hospitals rejected and replied to me because i didn't have experience and i didn't have qualification for the job. However, it was so funny and ridiculous about that i found out they hired some of my classmates whose just came out same time as me. Also they didn't have RRT credential either. They just know someone on that hospital and they had hook up for job.
Im just depress and mad about it. For the whole time, i have been reapplied again and again, and my time to apply the job for nothing. It is not fair for me and other RT. Because i didn't have a chance to have an interview to prove myself. If you have a job. Do you have to know someone as RT in that hospital for hook up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany Quinlan in Cordova, Tennessee

66 months ago

Girl I am a new graduate also in TN. I graduated 5 months ago and I still have not found a job. I think I have applied to over 100 hospitals/home care agencies all over the U.S. and still nothing. It is really depressing and aggrivating. I get the same response for everywhere I apply "We require atleast one year experience," or i get an email sent back to me saying "there were more qualified canidates that better fit the job," and 9 times out of 10 it's my fellow classmates who got the job. My whole thing is how can you expect us new graduates to get experience when noone will hire us to begin with?!?!? Just thought i would vent and let you know you are not the only one. Hope all goes well with your job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Duluth, Georgia

66 months ago

Ladies I have 2 years experiance and moved to Atlanta last year and still cannot find a job. They only want people with 5 years. If any of you are interested, I know hospitals in WV are always hiring RTs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany Quinlan in Cordova, Tennessee

66 months ago

Renee, I am definatley interrested in those jobs in WV.Do they hire a lot of out of state Rt's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Duluth, Georgia

66 months ago

The hospital I worked at had several people from different states. You would have to get a WV license, but its easier there than other states. The hospitals that I know are hiring right now would be Raleigh General Hospital in Beckley, WV; CAMC in Charleston, WV; and maybe Princeton Community Hospital in Princeton, WV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sometimes i breathe in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

I understand the frustration. I applied to roughly 20 positions. 3 interviews. 2 offers. And all of them use that stupid personality survey that takes so long to fill out.

I counted my clinical experience as one year.

I had 10 in GA (my home town) and 10 all around the US. Luckily, I have the ability to move so I now work in Maryland. Best decision ever.

My advice is to work on your interview skills. If they picked your classmates over you...it's not because they had a higher GPA.

I also asked my professors for help. The hospital I work at now was from a recommendation from one of my professors. He got me a email address and I started from there.

Also try to be more flexible. You don't have to work in a large 800 bed hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rtstudent in IL in Winslow, Indiana

65 months ago

You might want to look at VA jobs. If you live close to a VA hospital they might have openings. Or if your willing to move there are openings around the country. Here is a link: www4.va.gov/jobs/ Also check out www.usajobs.gov/ They also have jobs there as well. Just be willing to move. Good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erny in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

mspurple in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I'm a new grad, 2008 graduate, and is having a terrible time finding a Respiratory Therapy position............I'm desperately considering obtaining my Maryland License! Does Maryland hospitals hire new grads?

Yes alot of Hospitals in Maryland are hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mspurple in Chesapeake, Virginia

65 months ago

Thank you! I will be getting my Md.license very soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lovelyface in Decatur, Georgia

65 months ago

I know the job market for Therapists really sucks right now, but if you take just a few extra steps while in school, your chances of finding a job when you graduate greatly improve (or so says my Pharmacology teacher).

1. While at clinicals be completely aware that slacking off, cursing, complaining, bad mouthing instructors, and having a bad attitude reflects on you in ways you can't even imagine.

2. Network with people in the hospital that you see a lot (other RTs, RNs, Techs etc...). You never know when you might need a referral, or a foot in the door with a RT manager.

3. Have your resume proof read by instructors, other teachers or friends. ANY spelling mistakes and your resume could end up in the trashcan. A friend of mine owns his own business and will not hire someone with a shabby resume riddled with mistakes.

4. Like sometimesibreathe said, "My advice is to work on your interview skills. If they picked your classmates over you...it's not because they had a higher GPA". Interviewing is really make or break for you. If you really lack the skills for the interview, then maybe you should go to your schools career counseling center and get additional help. Read up on etiquette. Also, always send a personal hand written thank you note to your interviewer. It really shows respect, and it's a good habit to get into.

5. Prepare yourself to move if necessary. I live in Atlanta, and even though there are 4 major hospitals all within 10 minutes of where I live, the chances of me getting a job when I graduate in Atlanta are slim. The same goes for California and Arizona. There is a high concentration of RT schools located in those states, and also combined with the recession makes for a terrible job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Thank you Lovelyface! As soon as I land a job, trust me, I'm going for my RN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim2009 in Michigan

65 months ago

mspurple in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Thank you Lovelyface! As soon as I land a job, trust me, I'm going for my RN!

Are you an MD, RT, and going for your RN?? your posts are confusing....LOL!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Jim, I'm Certified Respiratory Therapist and it's awfully difficult to find a job! There are tons of RN positions every where! Sorry for the confusion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

65 months ago

Any RT's in the New Mexico area?? I know of travel need.... Let me know if your interested and I give you the name..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alana RRT in greensboro, Georgia

65 months ago

In GA it is very hard to find a job as a respiratory theapist. I feel as though I wasted two years of my life and money. I really wish I would have went to nursing school. Nurses seem to have managers and lobbyist that fight for there rights. I wonder what would happen if hospitals had to work a full day without RT's. Maybe that would make them appreicate our feild more. In order to have things change for us we need to write to our two lobbyist and inform them of just how hard of a time we are having, or just give up and become nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I feel the same way about the wasted time and money for RT school, but I'm not giving up just yet. I know someone out there is going to hire me and I just have to keep the faith!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sandi2009 in Cerritos, California

65 months ago

Hi - I will be graduating in May and willing to travel ANYWHERE. I will be licensed in CA and will get my CRT and RRT. Any recommendation on specific states idea for new grads? What is the process to get the state license. Thanks everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rozan in Pueblo, Colorado

64 months ago

mechnicalventilationpenishead in Anaheim, California said: you people are stupid. rt is a waste of time. an rt of 10 years...

Stupid? Ouch! Appropriate moniker...after 10 years maybe it's time to try something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

64 months ago

mechnicalventilationpenishead in Anaheim, California said: you people are stupid. rt is a waste of time. an rt of 10 years...

I'm sorry you feel this way. What happened that brought you to this point? There must be some positive experiences you've had during your 10 years in the field that you can draw upon. Use that energy. Burnout is common in our field. Think about why you have remained in the Respiratory Field for 10 years. April will be the start of my 14th year working as a RT and I continue to enjoy what I do. I worked 10 years in the Graphics Field before finding Respiratory Therapy. After being layed off for the third time during my 10 year career, 3 strikes and you're out, I knew I needed to change careers. Simultaneously, my Mom, who worked as a Medical Technologist, was diagnosed with Cancer. While accompanying my Mom to her appointments and observing the great care she received from her Healthcare team, I knew I wanted to be a part of that. She suggested
Respiratory Therapy. She was a very wise woman.

I agree with rozan. If after some soul searching you truly feel your 10 years working as a Respiratory Therapist have been a waste of time, please research other professions you have interest in. Follow your heart. It will
help guide you. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mia in Santee, California

64 months ago

I feel the same. I have CRT, RRT, NPS and no job while some of my colegues who are only CRT were hired in a second because they have friends and relatives who work in hospitals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Young in Scott Depot, West Virginia

64 months ago

Can you put your clinical experience as work experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AM in Redlands, California

64 months ago

I've realized (after applying all over the country with a bachelors in Resp. Care and my RRT)
that these days, knowing someone in the hospital is the only way we'll get jobs. We have to start networking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

LMAO at your user name lol

I'm using RT as a stepping stone, nothing more dude
I'm burned out and I haven't even been employed yet lol
student clinicals told me all the hell i needed to know about this field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Maryland is a good place for Jobs?
Where else is good? I'm willing to move anywhere

- RRT New grad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

I am in Houston and the job market is frozen here. We have the biggest med center in the county and no jobs. Not for rt and certainly not for crt. If you aren't rrt you won't work in Houston unless you are employed. So, stay that way. MD anderson has not posted a job in over a year.

Mark RCP in Texas

63 months ago

sandi2009 in Cerritos, California said: Hi - I will be graduating in May and willing to travel ANYWHERE. I will be licensed in CA and will get my CRT and RRT. Any recommendation on specific states idea for new grads? What is the process to get the state license. Thanks everyone.

The hospital in Kennewick,Wa needs RT's. It is night shifts, and license takes about 4wks to get or so.The days shifts are full, but they need night coverage.

justinkuttan1 in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

I Agree! I am a new grad and i got my RRT after 7 months still don't have job. I live in houston, texas and I almost applied every where like in houston medical center hospitals, LTAC hospitals and no calls from any one or rejected my application. I know that nobody wants to higher a new graduate without any experience and because of their budget. Without giving a job how the new grad RT's will get experience.

I encourge people to do NURSING. There lot of job opportunities that avaliable for nursing in such different area...........

RRT NEW GRAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msdiva007 in Chesapeake, Virginia

63 months ago

I agree with you totally, justinkuttan1!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RRT in Fayetteville, North Carolina

62 months ago

Julie Dinh in Westminster, California said: Hi. I'm new RT. I just graduated this year. I have been trying to look for a position as the hospital as respiratory therapist. I had CRT and RRT. I have been applied for more than 10 applications around Orange County, San Diego and Los Angeles. Some hospitals rejected and replied to me because i didn't have experience and i didn't have qualification for the job. However, it was so funny and ridiculous about that i found out they hired some of my classmates whose just came out same time as me. Also they didn't have RRT credential either. They just know someone on that hospital and they had hook up for job.
Im just depress and mad about it. For the whole time, i have been reapplied again and again, and my time to apply the job for nothing. It is not fair for me and other RT. Because i didn't have a chance to have an interview to prove myself. If you have a job. Do you have to know someone as RT in that hospital for hook up?

Word of mouth is powerful...dont be mad @ the hospital be mad @ your classmate...dont give up and a positive attitude goes a long way../

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RT's mom in Moreno Valley, California

59 months ago

justinkuttan1 in Houston, Texas said: I Agree! I am a new grad and i got my RRT after 7 months still don't have job. I live in houston, texas and I almost applied every where like in houston medical center hospitals, LTAC hospitals and no calls from any one or rejected my application. I know that nobody wants to higher a new graduate without any experience and because of their budget. Without giving a job how the new grad RT's will get experience.

I encourge people to do NURSING. There lot of job opportunities that avaliable for nursing in such different area...........

RRT NEW GRAD

My son is a new grad. He is really depressed right now because he cannot find a job. a lot of his classmates got jobs as they knew people at clinical sites. He graduated with 4.0, they didn't. It is sad that the hospitals don't look at the big picture. One graduate had a DUI and still doesn't have his license but hospital is holding a spot for him. Another grad got a job while his license was pending. CA is a bad job market for RT's. I wouldn't advise someone looking to come here. The career schools and Community colleges are pumping RT's out like crazy. A class of 25 just graduated two months after my son. It is sad but he may have to leave his family and go to another state. I would advise someone looking into this career to perhaps seek another medical career like nursing. He has tried online applications, walk in, etc. He has really networked himself to no avail. It is sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Visalia, California

59 months ago

Tiffany Quinlan in Cordova, Tennessee said: Girl I am a new graduate also in TN. I graduated 5 months ago and I still have not found a job. I think I have applied to over 100 hospitals/home care agencies all over the U.S. and still nothing. It is really depressing and aggrivating. I get the same response for everywhere I apply "We require atleast one year experience," or i get an email sent back to me saying "there were more qualified canidates that better fit the job," and 9 times out of 10 it's my fellow classmates who got the job. My whole thing is how can you expect us new graduates to get experience when noone will hire us to begin with?!?!? Just thought i would vent and let you know you are not the only one. Hope all goes well with your job hunt.

I'm confused. If 9 0ut of 10 times your classmates were hired, how can they be telling you they need 1 year experience?

59 months ago

RT's mom in Moreno Valley, California said: My son is a new grad. He is really depressed right now because he cannot find a job. a lot of his classmates got jobs as they knew people at clinical sites. He graduated with 4.0, they didn't. It is sad that the hospitals don't look at the big picture. One graduate had a DUI and still doesn't have his license but hospital is holding a spot for him. Another grad got a job while his license was pending. CA is a bad job market for RT's. I wouldn't advise someone looking to come here. The career schools and Community colleges are pumping RT's out like crazy. A class of 25 just graduated two months after my son. It is sad but he may have to leave his family and go to another state. I would advise someone looking into this career to perhaps seek another medical career like nursing. He has tried online applications, walk in, etc. He has really networked himself to no avail. It is sad.

The example below demonstrates it isn't just RTs that are experiencing difficulty finding employment. Our current economy is effecting every profession, including Nursing. Good journey.

JOJO in Riverside, California

1 day ago

Debbie in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania said: Wow, now I'm really worried, I haven't even taken my boards yet. I'm scheduled for July 6th. I figured I would pretty much have a job in line by then, but it's not looking good at all. I live in PA, but am looking all up and down the east coast with no bites yet. I've been applying since February with only two phone interviews and nothing else yet. I thought graduating with a BSN would really help but so far it hasn't done me any good. This whole situation sucks for everyone but at least they say that in about a year it will turn around. I sure hope so.
WHY DO WE EVEN BOTHER TO BECOME REGISTERED NURSES? THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR RNS. ARE NURSING STUDENT JUST WASTING THERE TIME? IM LOSING MY HOUSE AND MY CAR WAS REPOED. I HAVE FIVE CHILDREN. WHAT DO I DO NOW?

59 months ago

Here is another example of how our current economy is effecting every profession:

Erica in Port Arthur, Texas

8 months ago
I recently graduated in May and I still cant find a job as a radiologic technologist. Whats up with that? I have the skills yet, I lack the experience bc I am a new grad. All I want is a chance. If any one is in need of a good Rad Tech in Texas please contact me!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lili in Bristol, Connecticut

58 months ago

Hi my name is lil i just graduated im MAY and still cant find a job it almost seems like a waste of time and very expensive. i love the career but the truth is the economy is bad and out of 20 applicants there is only 1 to 2 postitions so if you get picked your lucky i unfortunately have not been lucky ive went on 5 interviews in CT where i feel they drill you to the ground. i feel is unfair you as a new grad dont develop critical thinking skills of the back and it is very intimadating maybe wrong choice of career and im gonna pay for it.!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msdiva007 in Chesapeake, Virginia

58 months ago

Hang in there, I'm in the same boat! Something will happen soon! Just keep the faith!

RRTnewgrad in North Hollywood, California

56 months ago

there is no openings for rts in LA although i do know that as long as you have friends in the inside or relatives it wont be that tough. Its very frustrating, there are a bunch of openings in San Fransisco and areas near there but they prefer to hire local people. I wouldn't mind moving anywhere but i want to make sure i have at least a RT job offer first, i know the whole hiring and applying may take longer then one month and with no income, i doubt ill be able to hang around longer then one month outside of LA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

medic12 in Akron, Ohio

55 months ago

I think that if you are a guy and going into the RRT field, your chances of getting a job are zero. Women who run respiratory departments seem to only hire women--I have had 7 interviews and no offers--I went and talked to one RT manager and ask her if my interview skills or experience level were the problem. She said that she did not think I was a good fit for her department because I would have a tough time fitting in with the current staff, Notice she did not say cause you are male, but her staff was almost entirely women.
The first person to get a job from my class was a girl who's aunt already worked in the same department. It only matters who you know!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sincerelyRT in Southfield, Michigan

55 months ago

medic12 in Akron, Ohio said: I think that if you are a guy and going into the RRT field, your chances of getting a job are zero. Women who run respiratory departments seem to only hire women--I have had 7 interviews and no offers--I went and talked to one RT manager and ask her if my interview skills or experience level were the problem. She said that she did not think I was a good fit for her department because I would have a tough time fitting in with the current staff, Notice she did not say cause you are male, but her staff was almost entirely women.
The first person to get a job from my class was a girl who's aunt already worked in the same department. It only matters who you know!!!!

I think if they don't like you, they won't hire you. It should be based on your credentials/licenses and how well you do your job and treat the patients/staff. These managers need to stop being so pickey, because they may be on the other end of the stick and someday have to be interviewed by you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geo in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

mspurple in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Thank you Lovelyface! As soon as I land a job, trust me, I'm going for my RN!

Nursing is just as bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Blame the hundreds of school that have damaged the integrity of the profession. By flooding the field with new graduates of these proprietary schools, it is an insult to the profession that I entered from a true University.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I agree. Its getting worse. Choose something else.

Shanna in Stone Mountain, Georgia

55 months ago

Everybody ,don't give up. You have to rust in God. Do follow up calls. Call until someone tells you what you wanna hear or until, they say we'll call you if you are selected for an interview. Have Faith Don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mspurple in Virginia Beach, Virginia

55 months ago

THAT'S WHAT I TELL MYSELF!!! GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRT crusader in Richmond, British Columbia

55 months ago

mspurple in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: THAT'S WHAT I TELL MYSELF!!! GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION!

That's not enough. Just like you're saying, wait till the star to fall on you.
If you want to see a positive results! You must do something aggressive to get it done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Ottawa, Illinois

55 months ago

RRT crusader in Richmond, British Columbia said: That's not enough. Just like you're saying, wait till the star to fall on you.
If you want to see a positive results! You must do something aggressive to get it done.

That's right, you gotta bust into some respiratory dept. and DEMAND a job, or else you gonna mess somebody up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sincerelyrt in Southfield, Michigan

55 months ago

Why do Hospitals only want to hire respiratory externs and RRTs instead of CRTs. Do they prefer to hire only students, so they can see how they work. I called one hospital to volunteer in their respiratory department, but they said they don't take respiratory volunteers. I am still searching for a CRT position. I will save and take my RRT, hopefully this will bring jobs my way. Good energy going out to all, may we all find employment soon.

Ken in Fairmont, West Virginia

55 months ago

Renee in Duluth, Georgia said: Ladies I have 2 years experiance and moved to Atlanta last year and still cannot find a job. They only want people with 5 years. If any of you are interested, I know hospitals in WV are always hiring RTs.

Tell me where...I live in WV.

msdiva in Chesapeake, Virginia

55 months ago

PLEASE POST THE HOSPITALS THAT WILL HIRE NEW GRAD RT'S........I'M WILLING TO MOVE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

James S. in Seminole, Florida

55 months ago

lili in Bristol, Connecticut said: I was having the same problem and after i earned my RRT i secured a job. My suggestion is obtain your RRT and your chances will get better.

I applied to a hospital here in St. Petersburg, FL. I then contacted the Director of respiratory and introduced myself and told her that I had applied. My direct approach helped and the director called HR and asked for my resume and app. I got the job (PRN however, I have been working anywhere from 32 to 54 hours per week). PRN work is great for a new grad as it's almost impossible to get FT just out of school. Now, I have offers from other facilities with just one year of experience.

Be aggressive and take that PRN job. In six months, take a second PRN job unless you're getting good hours where you are. DONT GIVE UP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nina99371 in Columbia, Tennessee

49 months ago

Geo in Louisville, Kentucky said: Blame the hundreds of school that have damaged the integrity of the profession. By flooding the field with new graduates of these proprietary schools, it is an insult to the profession that I entered from a true University.

AMEN!! I live in Jackson, TN and we have a school about 100 miles away that pumps CRT's out like nobody's business. These CRT's aren't even RRT eligible. I think most places around here have stopped hiring them because they get out into the workplace and don't even know what they need to know, from what I hear, even just to wean O2. These "new grads" have flooded the job market over here and so the new grads who are RRT eligible and who actually know what a new grad is suppose to know can't even get a job. And God forbid someone with 10 years or more experience, like me, loses their job for whatever reason. I'd never find a job. The only reason they hire the ppl from those schools is because they're cheap labor. They know they're gonna have to actually pay someone with the RRT credential with experience. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.