Top restaurant manager skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every restaurant manager must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your restaurant manager expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Rrrr Mignon in Albuquerque, New Mexico

97 months ago

The top 3 traits that have put me on the high end salaries are : female.. it is still a male orientated market. I was sitting in one room with 10 men and this is for a major chain. basic math.......know your fractions, percents, add, divide, without a calculator. resume... have a good one.. have your Serve Safe Certification......and any local health card, or alcohol certifications. ....it shows responsibility and knowledge. these are areas that cause restaurants the most issues. If you work for a mom and pop restaurant, most likely you have been shouldered with more responsibilty than a the chain gang. The mom and pop are more likely to leave the bartender with the keys to close. They have you doing alot of the closing mangers duties to save money and give themselves time off. In addition if your taking the server check outs this merits supervisor experience that can be listed on the resume. Give credit where credit is due. Due a job search for restaurant manager. Read the job descriptions for all the big guys and see what they are asking for and see what you may have done that you didn't realize was giving you credentials. Don't be afraid to ask for the money. My first mgmt position was gained by doing what I just wrote above. I put down bar mgr. on my resume. I calculated how much my earnings were with tips, and salary. Then I called the ower and said I need a reference. Can you help me out. I listed myself as a bar manager when I worked with you. OK;;;;;they know how valuable that you have been for them. PLaying host, taking to-g0 orders, taking complaints, handling all the cash, people calling in sick, handing out job applications. Receiving the alcohol, placing the liquor order, the list goes on. Give your self the credit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sayed_manzoor in Madgaon, India

66 months ago

i have got a 50% of knowledge sir i m trying for a restaurant assistant manager post and i m having the interview for the same in few day's sir i will be very thankful to you if u help me to give some tip's on the question and answers that will be asked in the interview for the post of a restaurant assistant manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.