Rachael Ray's $40 A Day

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 121)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Jeri in Robertsdale, Alabama

88 months ago

Has anyone else taken the time to watch this show? I have been watching for sometime now in total astonishment. She goes on national television and basically shows, that tipping roughly 7% is ok. On one show in particular I calculated her "tax and tip" of $1.40 on a $9.90 meal. If you give a low tax estimate of 7% then that leaves about .70 for the tip, from that $1.40, or roughly 7%.
And we as servers wonder why the public tips so poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Draper, Utah

87 months ago

Jeri in Robertsdale, Alabama said: Has anyone else taken the time to watch this show? I have been watching for sometime now in total astonishment. She goes on national television and basically shows, that tipping roughly 7% is ok. On one show in particular I calculated her "tax and tip" of $1.40 on a $9.90 meal. If you give a low tax estimate of 7% then that leaves about .70 for the tip, from that $1.40, or roughly 7%.

I totally agree! I'm shocked that she's okay with leaving practically nothing as a tip! The starting point should be twenty percent! What is wrong with people??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jim in New York, New York

86 months ago

berlin 5, PLEASE eat at home!!!!! Do you realize what the average wages are for a waiter or bartender??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Todd Gack in Near State College, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

LISA in Dayton, Ohio said: Get over it, you "SERVERS at least you have a job. So if you want to make the big bucks get a real job.. I would rather eat at home anyways.

Ok. That's helpful, isn't it?

I worked at a restaurant for about 3 years in high school and part way into college. Not as a server, but as a dishwasher and then a busboy. I could clearly see how hard people would need to work to provide quality service, especially when the restaurant (which was right across from a college campus) got slammed!

Ever since, my "default" tip has been 20%.
I'll tip better for exceptional service.
On the other hand, if things are slow and service is not consistent, I may go to 15%.
I'd tip 10% if the service was weak or bad; I've only done less than that once.

After all, it is MY money!

And I do know, from my work experience in days gone by, that servers have a lot to do and get paid a minimal salary. Tips make the difference and I'm happy to reward effort.

If servers truly feel "entitled" to good tips, that's their choice. As long as the service is good, I don't see a problem with providing a good tip!

It is, again, MY money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trevor sines in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

great service, great tip
poor service, poor tip ( a small tip is an insult above no tip at all, why? dont reward bad service with a bad attitude, they are working for tips and need to know, hey its me because customers dont stiff me, they just tip low. ) i tip $1 or $2 for bad servicen no matter what the bill amount. I end up tipping 25% most of the time for great service. Allow a little room for reflection. Customers have lost sight of why we go out, we are so spoiled we forget we go out to be served, pampered, and relax. Do you deserve good service.? Reward good service. Do unto others ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

trevor sines in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

yes, Rachel Ray irritates my wife and i when we see those tips. Millions she brings in now from her empire. C'mon Rachel. A little explanation. I heard that of other famous Food network stars like Mr. Lagassi. I know people who served him and it was less than complimenting at the tip left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jim in New York, New York

85 months ago

I never noticed any of Ms. Ray's servers being rude to her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

James in Elyria, Ohio

85 months ago

Servers should not give better service because they get better tips. They should always be good servers and not slack off if they think they won't get good tips. Maybe go on strike to let your boss know you deserve more. GM briefly went on strike a couple weeks ago. In industry, the worker is always expected to give 110%.

Likewise, employers of the servers should not be so cheap and pay the servers what they deserve. Why is it that the end consumer always has to pick up the slack and foot the bill? This is always the case with politicians and taxes (another story, another day). It is out of hand. Get real rich restaurant owners, pay your servers what they deserve.

Here is another way to look at it: If you are in a car accident and hurt, would you have to give the emergency crew some extra cash (or cookies later) because they gave you extra special care?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

drew in Monroe, Connecticut

85 months ago

James in Elyria, Ohio said: Servers should not give better service because they get better tips. They should always be good servers and not slack off if they think they won't get good tips. Maybe go on strike to let your boss know you deserve more. GM briefly went on strike a couple weeks ago. In industry, the worker is always expected to give 110%.

Likewise, employers of the servers should not be so cheap and pay the servers what they deserve. Why is it that the end consumer always has to pick up the slack and foot the bill? This is always the case with politicians and taxes (another story, another day). It is out of hand. Get real rich restaurant owners, pay your servers what they deserve.

Here is another way to look at it: If you are in a car accident and hurt, would you have to give the emergency crew some extra cash (or cookies later) because they gave you extra special care?

the service industry in the united states is based upon your gratuity. if servers were paid a full comperable wage, then we wouldn't expect tips (like in europe). but because of the way the system is set up, servers are only paid a fraction of a normal salary because they receive tips.

no we don't expect to tip an emergency service tech because THEY MAKE A NORMAL WAGE. servers make somewhere between $2.14/hour and $5/HOUR depending where they live.

i don't personally agree that they should be paid by the customers, not the establishment, but i don't penalize the server just because i disagree with the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

YOUR customer care skills serving... in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Amanda in Draper, Utah said: I totally agree! I'm shocked that she's okay with leaving practically nothing as a tip! The starting point should be twenty percent! What is wrong with people??

Your/servers customer care & improving the eating experience MUST be top notch.

TIP actually stands for T.I.P. = To Insure Prompt (I beleive).

SERVERS are not entitled to anything... 0% if the experience is crummy.

20% would be for a server offering excellent service, excellent promptness to the needs of the GUEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

jim in New York, New York said: berlin 5, PLEASE eat at home!!!!! Do you realize what the average wages are for a waiter or bartender??

NEVER complain about the AVG. pay that you knew about before you took the job.

As in any profession, if you don't like the pay don't take the job. Duhhhhh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

jim in New York, New York said: berlin 5, PLEASE eat at home!!!!! Do you realize what the average wages are for a waiter or bartender??

I bet your employer doesn't agree with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Daly City, California

84 months ago

I feel that one should tip based on the level of service provided, never falling below 10% unless the service is really awful. If your server helps you choose the best food and wine combination, pours that wine for you, keeps your water glass full, debones your fish, and gets your food to you as soon as it is done cooking, all while making sure no two courses are on the same table at the same time, that server deserves more than the 15% crap you would give you your server at Applebee's who you might see twice in the evening.

I have two jobs, one in fine dining, and one in imitation fine dining. I recieve on average higher percentage tips at the latter job, even though the service is worse, simply because we have an ocean view.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

M in Cabot, Arkansas

80 months ago

Jeri in Robertsdale, Alabama said: Has anyone else taken the time to watch this show? I have been watching for sometime now in total astonishment. She goes on national television and basically shows, that tipping roughly 7% is ok. On one show in particular I calculated her "tax and tip" of $1.40 on a $9.90 meal. If you give a low tax estimate of 7% then that leaves about .70 for the tip, from that $1.40, or roughly 7%.

"Thank you!" I have been saying the same thing for years! I cant understand why no one has ever pointed this out! She is showing people it's o.k. not to tip right so they can eat cheap and still get great service. Thats so wrong. Maybe she should wait tables in a restaurant she tells people to tip very little in! I cannot and will not support anything she does in fact I change the tv channel when she comes on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rae in North Branford, Connecticut

80 months ago

LISA in Dayton, Ohio said: Get over it, you "SERVERS at least you have a job. So if you want to make the big bucks get a real job.. I would rather eat at home anyways.

I have been in food service for over 12 years and I have also held a "real job". Truth is that I make more money serving than I do at the job that I struggled to get a degree for!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shootermcgavin in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

berlin 5 in Jamaica said: The problem with tipping is that servers tend toward a sense of entitlement when it comes to other people's money. While paying customers actually ARE entitled to good service, the servers quickly lose sight of their role in the eating experience.

If you look at any commonly accepted book on etiquette, 7% is the standard on tips.

Greedy piglets.

Are you insane? First of all you need throw out the 1972 edition and buy the 2008 edition of this so called "etiquette" book. Or even better, try reading the rest of the etiquette book and see what it says about common courtesy. The price of the meal is not the most important factor when determining the appropriate compensation for service rendered. How long did you sit at the persons table? How demanding are you as a customer? People like you make me embarassed to be a human. You are exactly the reason why people should have to take an I.Q test before procreating. For your ignorant,hill billy,inbread ass that means "reproducing." Do you realize that tipped wage earners are paid about $2.50/hour. Oh I forgot you're an idiot. Rachel Ray should be ashamed of herself. I am fortunate enough to work in a very expensive fine dining restaurnat that assists with health benefits, 401K and not to mention the price keeps the idiots out. The level of service and knowledge of etiquette I have to provide far exceeds that of the norm but it doesn't make me any more entitled to a fair tip. The percentage of the check sure as hell works out for me with a $50 cover average but a waiter in Chili's works just as hard as I do. I think everyone should have to work as server for a day and see how hard it really is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jman in New York, New York

79 months ago

you tell 'em!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LISAISASNOB in Nashville, Tennessee

76 months ago

Lisa,
What is a "REAL JOB"???? Just remember when you leave comments like that about my JOB, I'm the person in the back making your food....THINK ABOUT IT!!!!...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ked in Lafayette, Louisiana

74 months ago

I have been in the service industry for over 12 years. The restaurant owners don't determine the wage of servers or bartenders. I have only heard of a handful of places that pay more than the $2.13, yes $2.13, per hour. When minimum wage goes up, server and bartender wages are not included. I recently heard about the Rachel Ray thing so i wanted to voice my opinion. Unless your service is absolutely horrible there is no reason not to leave a reasonable tip (TWENTY percent is now the accepted norm, by the way). I am no longer a server, but run a restaurant, and I see how these college students and single mothers struggle to make a living. A REAL JOB? Everyone has to make a living and I would like to see anyone who has never waited tables take the place of a server on a busy night any time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alice in Oakland, California

74 months ago

Shootermcgavin in Atlanta, Georgia said: Are you insane? First of all you need throw out the 1972 edition and buy the 2008 edition of this so called "etiquette" book. Or even better, try reading the rest of the etiquette book and see what it says about common courtesy. The price of the meal is not the most important factor when determining the appropriate compensation for service rendered. How long did you sit at the persons table? How demanding are you as a customer? People like you make me embarassed to be a human. You are exactly the reason why people should have to take an I.Q test before procreating. For your ignorant,hill billy,inbread ass that means "reproducing." Do you realize that tipped wage earners are paid about $2.50/hour. Oh I forgot you're an idiot. Rachel Ray should be ashamed of herself. I am fortunate enough to work in a very expensive fine dining restaurnat that assists with health benefits, 401K and not to mention the price keeps the idiots out. The level of service and knowledge of etiquette I have to provide far exceeds that of the norm but it doesn't make me any more entitled to a fair tip. The percentage of the check sure as hell works out for me with a $50 cover average but a waiter in Chili's works just as hard as I do. I think everyone should have to work as server for a day and see how hard it really is.

DID YOU SAY " This is the reason people should have to take an IQ test before procreating." For a rich television personality to poorly tip is beyond poor taste but to verbally abuse the common folks for their beliefs and to tell someone they're stupid and have no right to live,SHAME ON YOU! The problem appears to be abusing versus educating people. I have spent 30y treating verbally,physically and emotionally abused clients. Our words have consequences. It's words such as those that lead to physical violence. What ever happened to respecting each other and educating people when they do not UNDERSTAND?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Santa Fe, New Mexico

74 months ago

Hey, it's really everyone's choice. By tipping, you communicate to your server/bartender how much you appreciate (or don't) the service you received. I go by the following:
1. 25% if I'm on vacation and conceivably never going back.
2. 35% if it's local, but not a place I frequent
3. 45% if I plan on going a lot

There's room for the tip to fall in the case of poor service, of course. I know this is def. on the high side, but all you pansy-ass wusses trying to defend 7% tips, need to go out and work an actual job. Hell, get a job in the service industry for one week, so you can gain an appreciation of the difficulty of work and reliance on tips.

By the way, Berlin 5 - You probably have become such an extreme bad tipper, because people serving you realized you were a bad tipper and started giving you worse service. Just keep staying home so ALL people can breathe a colective sigh of relief. It's not just servers who dislike douchebags.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Santa Fe, New Mexico

74 months ago

I used to have a "real job" consulting in NYC and made the choice to go into the service industry because I wanted my life to be less stressful. I soon learned that my perception of what it takes to be a waiter was pretty far off. The stressors are definitely different but they're no less real!

One of the biggest realizations I had was that those people with "real jobs" out there aren't held to the same high standards every second of their time at work that servers are. Think about it...if you screw up at work you get some feedback from your boss and then you're given time to improve before there are any repercussions. If you don't improve in the allotted time (usually weeks or even months), you may miss out on a performance award or some other financial incentive and if enough time goes by and you still can't pull it together you may actually lose your job.

In the service industry things are a little different. Your pay (i.e. tips) may be docked instantly for even the smallest of mistakes. In fact, even if you make immediate changes and rectify the problem people may still leave you a bad tip. In some ways this is refreshing because you always know where you stand and have some degree of control over what you make day to day. Unfortunately, when you aren't in control of everything that happens (e.g. the kitchen is really busy and misread a modification on the order you put in), you may be penalized even though you peformed exceptionally and did everything in your power to provide great service. And people's lack of understanding of this may mean the difference between being able to pay your rent or not.

So pass along the message to Rachael Ray, Berlin 5 and others that their pathetic tips are not incentive pay for good performance like you might get in a "real job." It's actually our livelihood and I don't know what is more "real" than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Big Rapids, Michigan

74 months ago

1.40 divided by 9.90 is a 14.14% tip. Where did you learn math? And do a little fact research before you spout off please. Rachel Ray is a rags to riches story and she has worked her tail off to get where she is at! Jealous much? P.S. I am a professional server also ... and you don't see me whining about other people's success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Arkadelphia, Arkansas

73 months ago

serving is a real job, because servers really work. you try standing on your feet for over eight hours. Besides that servers deserve good tips for putting up with rude people all day. There aren't very many other jobs in which people feel as comfortable treating another person like crap. and no before anyone says it rude demanding people are not the exception in the restraunte industry they're the rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CDB in Columbus, Ohio

72 months ago

MELISSA,
If you could read correctly, it say it includes TAX and TIP. So, if you do the math there, it is much lower than 14.14 %. Maybe you should read something fully before you spout off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mauser77 in Salt Lake City, Utah

71 months ago

You know Lisa, I have two Masters Degrees and still wait tables for extra bucks in between school sessions because it can be really good money AND because I like the job. I've met a lot of servers and cooks and bussers and hosts who are really good at what they do and are good people. Being good at this job requires a very specific talent...especially when it comes to dealing with people with your attitude. To say that a server's job isn't a real one is very ignorant on your part and not only demonstrates how little you know about spaces in the world you do not frequent, but also highlights the pedestal on which you place yourself above others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in San Diego, California

71 months ago

The average tip is roughly 20%. Servers work below minimum wage and depend on their tips to make ends meet. I work back of the house as a kitchen supervisor and I see that the servers work their tails off. They're friendly with the customers although they've been on their feet all day. They have a sense of humor and are professional. I haven't heard them complain about their jobs. When I go out to eat I tip big. BTW my first adult job was a server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kelljoann in Beaverton, Oregon

69 months ago

berlin 5 in Jamaica said: The problem with tipping is that servers tend toward a sense of entitlement when it comes to other people's money. While paying customers actually ARE entitled to good service, the servers quickly lose sight of their role in the eating experience.

If you look at any commonly accepted book on etiquette, 7% is the standard on tips.

Greedy piglets.

Yes, please eat at home. I don't know what etiquette book you are reading but it is wrong. An average tip percent should be 15%. 20% or more for great service. Do you realize that in a lot of states servers get paid $2.13 an hour? So we're not being "greedy piglets"!!! I work two different restaurant jobs just to pay all my bills and with the economy being as bad as it is right now, I am barely scraping by. Plus I work my butt off for my tips, so I don't think it is being greedy to get paid for all the hard work I do!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Sweety, I would love to get a "real" job, and sit on my butt all day at a desk, but I can't! I am working two different jobs just to pay my bills and barely even making that. I tried going back to school but since I work full time (to pay my bills) I can't get enough financial aid to afford school to get another job!! So PLEASE think before you speak, the world would be a much better place!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

YOUR customer care skills serving... in Frisco, Texas said: Your/servers customer care & improving the eating experience MUST be top notch.

TIP actually stands for T.I.P. = To Insure Prompt (I beleive).

SERVERS are not entitled to anything... 0% if the experience is crummy.

20% would be for a server offering excellent service, excellent promptness to the needs of the GUEST.

Obviously you've never been a server!! I can't stand when people go off about servers when you have no idea what you are talking about. Customers need to realize that when you go out to eat, your server has more than you to take care of. Sometimes they can have anywhere from 5 to 10 tables, all wanting "prompt" service. YOU CUSTOMERS have to realize that how you treat us, is as important as how we treat you. If someone is rude to me right off the bat, I'm NOT going to bend over backwards for them. They will get my minimum. Be nice to me, and you will get the best service I can possibly give!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

alice in Oakland, California said: DID YOU SAY " This is the reason people should have to take an IQ test before procreating." For a rich television personality to poorly tip is beyond poor taste but to verbally abuse the common folks for their beliefs and to tell someone they're stupid and have no right to live,SHAME ON YOU! The problem appears to be abusing versus educating people. I have spent 30y treating verbally,physically and emotionally abused clients. Our words have consequences. It's words such as those that lead to physical violence. What ever happened to respecting each other and educating people when they do not UNDERSTAND?

Get a grip....this person is NOT going to need therapy for being chastised for tipping badly. But your comment made me laugh....it was that stupid. Oh wait, now you're going to need therapy. Sorry!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Joe in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: Hey, it's really everyone's choice. By tipping, you communicate to your server/bartender how much you appreciate (or don't) the service you received. I go by the following:
1. 25% if I'm on vacation and conceivably never going back.
2. 35% if it's local, but not a place I frequent
3. 45% if I plan on going a lot

There's room for the tip to fall in the case of poor service, of course. I know this is def. on the high side, but all you pansy-ass wusses trying to defend 7% tips, need to go out and work an actual job. Hell, get a job in the service industry for one week, so you can gain an appreciation of the difficulty of work and reliance on tips.

By the way, Berlin 5 - You probably have become such an extreme bad tipper, because people serving you realized you were a bad tipper and started giving you worse service. Just keep staying home so ALL people can breathe a colective sigh of relief. It's not just servers who dislike douchebags.

you go Joe!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Melissa in Big Rapids, Michigan said: 1.40 divided by 9.90 is a 14.14% tip. Where did you learn math? And do a little fact research before you spout off please. Rachel Ray is a rags to riches story and she has worked her tail off to get where she is at! Jealous much? P.S. I am a professional server also ... and you don't see me whining about other people's success.

Obiously you haven't heard the latest from your "rags to riches" story. She said on her show that in this bad economy, people can still afford to go out to eat, just don't tip!! Rachel Ray is a bad tipper. There are blogs out there of actual servers who have waited on her, (not on the show) and she leaves bad tips!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

berlin5 in Camarillo, California

69 months ago

kelljoann in Beaverton, Oregon said: I don't know what etiquette book you are reading but it is wrong. An average tip percent should be 15%. 20% or more for great service. Do you realize that in a lot of states servers get paid $2.13 an hour? So we're not being "greedy piglets"!!! I work two different restaurant jobs just to pay all my bills and with the economy being as bad as it is right now, I am barely scraping by. Plus I work my butt off for my tips, so I don't think it is being greedy to get paid for all the hard work I do!!

#! I actually consulted John Bridge's "How To Be A Gentleman" for the tipping scenario. Regardless of which book you look it up in they all agree on one percentage ... it's 100% the guest's discretion how much to tip. That probably ends this debate.

#2 The definition of greedy: "wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves." You mentioned that servers make an hourly wage of $2.13 (although I have no idea whether this is accurate). How come restaurant owners don't tip their staff? Because tipping is not required, nor are servers entitled to tips. So by demanding tips (money that goes beyond your original working agreement) you are thus "wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves."

#3 Thank you for making my point for me by the way. I couldn't have done it if you hadn't opened your mouth. My advice would be to get another job if you're not satisfied with the pay at the one you're at now. Cause I wouldn't even waste monopoly money on your tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

alice in Alameda, California

69 months ago

Oops, I guess I assumed a higher level of intelligence for people reading my response. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH TIPPING POORLY rather the abusive language used regarding poor tippers. Your response makes me feel sad, I hope others have a better understanding of the issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

alice in Alameda, California

69 months ago

kelljoann in Beaverton, Oregon said: Get a grip....this person is NOT going to need therapy for being chastised for tipping badly. But your comment made me laugh....it was that stupid. Oh wait, now you're going to need therapy. Sorry!

Oops, I assumed a higher level of intelligence for people reading my reply. I was not "chastising" for TIPPING BADLY rather the abusive language used to describe bad tippers. Your response makes me feel sad, I hope others were wise enough to understand the difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sam Jones in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Greedy piglets.

You obviously need updated sources, your comment is purely ignorant. Greedy piglet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sam Jones in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Yeah, you should stay home, society can do without your ignorance. I wonder what you do for a living because with your comment you obviously don't have an education. If you did,you would be more understanding of the fact that most servers are there because it's a means to an end, most of them are college students, and most of those students will have a "real" job someday that's probably a whole lot better than yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tawnita in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Servers at taxed 8% on every table. If you tip LESS than that... IT COSTS ME MONEY to serve you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lila in Hayward, California

69 months ago

she's an idiot, and her 30 minute meals can be done in 29 minutes with fresher ingredients and a more palatable taste if she wouldn't be such a stingy, unintelligent, and generally over-hyped food cynic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blueuab in Birmingham, Alabama

69 months ago

berlin5 in Camarillo, California said: #! I actually consulted John Bridge's "How To Be A Gentleman" for the tipping scenario. Regardless of which book you look it up in they all agree on one percentage ... it's 100% the guest's discretion how much to tip. That probably ends this debate.

#2 The definition of greedy: "wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves." You mentioned that servers make an hourly wage of $2.13 (although I have no idea whether this is accurate). How come restaurant owners don't tip their staff? Because tipping is not required, nor are servers entitled to tips. So by demanding tips (money that goes beyond your original working agreement) you are thus "wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves."

#3 Thank you for making my point for me by the way. I couldn't have done it if you hadn't opened your mouth. My advice would be to get another job if you're not satisfied with the pay at the one you're at now. Cause I wouldn't even waste monopoly money on your tip.

1. It is a guests' discretion at what they tip but don't get fantastic service,sit there and don't tip. You get what you deserve is the theme here. If you sit at a table and you are rude to a server from the start expect sub par service...period...then,tip ACCORDINGLY.

2. Maybe in your research/consultation you should've gone to your local restaurant and ask what they are tipped it is $2.13 at the average restaurant and maybe a little more some higher cost of living states and restaurants but the average is $2.13. I hope you are NOT saying that since people choose to work at restaurants for less than the standard minimum wage,it is basically all they should get??

3. You clearly have not worked a day on your life in the service industry and judging from your comments? You seem like someone who stiffs EVERYTIME you go out. Word to the wise: Try fast food where tipping is NOT mandatory nor a necessity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brandie in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

Who are you people?!!!All of you, on both sides of the issue...GROW UP!

-I AM A MANAGER IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY, AND HAVE BEEN FOR NINE YEARS.

YES SOME SERVERS FEEL A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT WHEN THEY SHOULDN'T. BOO HOO! MOST OF YOU WHO DON'T TIP OVER 10% BASE DON'T BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO CHEAP; OR YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED IN THIS INDUSTRY AT ALL.. AND SO YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GOES INTO WAITING TABLES, JUST AS I PROBABLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GOES INTO YOUR JOB. SUCH AS THAT YOU PROBABLY DON'T REALIZE THAT SERVERS TIP OUT A PERCENTAGE OF THEIR TIPS TO SUPPORT STAFF AND PAY TAXES ON THE MONEY YOU DO LEAVE THEM. IT IS YOUR MONEY DO AS YOU LIKE, BUT TRY TO EDUCATE YOURSELF ON BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN BEFORE YOU RANT OR INSULT THE PEOPLE WHO SERVICE YOU. BUT TELLING PEOPLE TO GET A REAL JOB, REALLY? COMMENTS LIKE THAT PROVE NOTHING,BUT THAT YOU ARE LOW CLASS.

START WITH A 15% TIP IN YOUR MINDS AND THEN DECREASE IF SERVICE IS BAD OR MAYBE INCREASE IF SERVICE IS GREAT. THE AMOUNT SERVERS ARE PAID HOURLY IS SIMPLY A GOVERNMENT REQUIREMENT TO COVER THE TAXES WITHHELD. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY AND PROBABLY WILL NOT CHANGE ANY TIME SOON; SO ONLY ABOUT 75% OF THE TIP YOU LEAVE REALLY EVER MAKES IT INTO THE SERVERS POCKET AT THE END OF THE DAY. AND AS FAR AS GETTING A REAL JOB...IT IS AN HONEST JOB... AND SOMETIMES A VERY DIFFICULT JOB BECAUSE OF THE JERKS AT THE TABLE, MAYBE YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE JERKS, MAYBE NOT; BUT IF YOU THINK I AM TALKING TO YOU, I PROBABLY AM!

AND YES RACHEL RAY IS SETTING SOMEWHAT OF A BAD EXAMPLE, BUT SHE IS FILMING A SHOW WHERE SHE IS TEACHING PEOPLE HOW TO BE CHEAP, WHAT DID YOU REALLY EXPECT? I AGREE IT IS SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTING, BUT EMAIL HER AND QUIT ARGUING WITH THESE JERKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christiana in Crown Point, Indiana

64 months ago

ked in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I have been in the service industry for over 12 years. The restaurant owners don't determine the wage of servers or bartenders. I have only heard of a handful of places that pay more than the $2.13, yes $2.13, per hour. When minimum wage goes up, server and bartender wages are not included. I recently heard about the Rachel Ray thing so i wanted to voice my opinion. Unless your service is absolutely horrible there is no reason not to leave a reasonable tip (TWENTY percent is now the accepted norm, by the way). I am no longer a server, but run a restaurant, and I see how these college students and single mothers struggle to make a living. A REAL JOB? Everyone has to make a living and I would like to see anyone who has never waited tables take the place of a server on a busy night any time.

Last I checked, Restaurant owners do determine the wage of their employees and CAN in fact pay their employees more than $2.13 an hour. They just choose not to as another way to "cut corners" on restaurant expenses. Which means servers are at the mercy of their customers to supplement their paycheck, and with the economy the way it is, people decide eat out and "cut corners" on their bill by lowering the tip. But alas, at least people are still coming out to eat and you are getting SOMETHING as a tip. I've been with 3 restaurants in the passed 5 years that have closed due to lack of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Poco in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

We only give God and the church 10% why would you expect more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Poco in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

We only give God and the church 10 percent, why do you expect more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

server in Saint Paul, Minnesota

64 months ago

Poco in Washington, District of Columbia said: We only give God and the church 10 percent, why do you expect more?

People like you are why most servers hate working on sundays!! Religious people leave their money at church. By the way, you are giving your 10% to the church and your minister, not God!! Ever hear of this thing called inflation? Well other occupations get raises to compensate for this, server do not!!! So when my bills get more expensive and I have people like you tipping badly, I have to work six days a week just to pay my primary bills!! If you can't or won't tip 15-20%, do NOT go out to eat! It really is that simple!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

server in Saint Paul, Minnesota

64 months ago

Christiana in Crown Point, Indiana said: Last I checked, Restaurant owners do determine the wage of their employees and CAN in fact pay their employees more than $2.13 an hour. They just choose not to as another way to "cut corners" on restaurant expenses. Which means servers are at the mercy of their customers to supplement their paycheck, and with the economy the way it is, people decide eat out and "cut corners" on their bill by lowering the tip. But alas, at least people are still coming out to eat and you are getting SOMETHING as a tip. I've been with 3 restaurants in the passed 5 years that have closed due to lack of business.

Most of the time it is the STATE that determines what restaurant servers will be paid. I lived in Washington state and there servers do get paid minimum wage but they sent up a bill when I lived there to get it reduced to the usual $2.16!! Thankfully it did not pass!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LISA in Yakima, Washington

63 months ago

I love Rachel Ray and somethings server don't need to be paid more than 7%. Come on, look at what Rachel Ray buys, there no service required so why tip high. If someone sat down for a full meal and required services like escorting, refills, condiments, and etc., you better give a 20% tip. And I also work as a waiter, and understand how this works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

DaleDoback in York, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Most of you bad tippers are complete idiots. I am a student and am working towards my future career. Serving is a real job! We all work hard and I think some people underestimate the level of difficulty required to tolerate mouth-breathing customers, like yourselves. Would you be able to continue smiling and serving a customer that calls you incompetent, lazy, or dumb? How would you react to a guest who cannot be satisfied and has an issue with everything? These things happen on a regular basis and we are require to take them in stride and keep a positive & upbeat attitude. I will agree that good service should always be given, but being a little understanding would be nice. And about the wages-- in PA servers make $2.18/hr but that is taxed as well as our tips. All of our paychecks are VOID $0.00 because we have to pay more in tip taxes than we make an hour. We also have to tip-out 5% of our sales, regardless of what tips we make. Educate yourselves on the way things work before you just spit out whatever ignorant & selfish remarks come to mind. And if you cant find a way to be respectful, please just leave your pompous self home on the couch watching some more rude Rachael Ray!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Kingsport, Tennessee

61 months ago

Greedy piglets.

Ugh when was that book published? when milk was $.05 a gallon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.