Are retail merchandiser job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most retail merchandiser opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Martha Collins in Laconia, New Hampshire

74 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing? Non that I know of. I worked as a retail merchandiser with a company that was exclusive to one of the big box stores. This big box store decided to do away with the merchandiser program and go strictly with in house vendors (PSA's). This put not only my company all but completely out of business but it closed many other vending companies because of having to be exclusive to this other company.

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most retail merchandiser opportunities?

I wish some one coluld tell me. I am now unemployed with a four year old to raise on my own and believe me unemployment dosen't make it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kristin in Howell, Michigan

74 months ago

looking for new comments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tamey_k in Mansfield, Ohio

73 months ago

I can relate to your situation of unemployment not paying the bills!
I now am looking to get into merchandising.Iam finding alot of job opportunities in shadow shopper/mystery shopper areas.(I am a shopper) My problem is theyt want experienced workers. I have no idea how to get in the door to get experience.
What I suggest is that you try these sites,FREE,(I Will Not pay to do a job) Remember that you have to go to each companys site to apply.Register with them ,free.Think of shadow shopper and mystery shooper inc as a trunk of a tree .The companys as the limbs.In order to climb the tree and go to the branches you have to start at the trunk and from there you go to the branches.Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cara Bertrand in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

70 months ago

If you're interested in jobs in merchandising and/or mystery shopping, you should really check out NARMS.com

They're the National Association of Retail Marketing Services, and they help retailers refine their services, as well as provide a really excellent job site, which includes both short term merchandising and mystery shopping jobs (for which many require no previous experience), as well as more career-term jobs in the field.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me ;)

Riley in Columbus, Georgia

69 months ago

I used shadow shopper, I paid the 19.99 and I am out there working. I started from the bottom and have worked myself up to team Lead. I can walk in a store and set it. I have done new store openings over 60 of the with over 750,000 worth of merchandise. It's all up to you. I went on my first job and took in everything I could.. I can read store blue prints, set pogs, tag and profile, report by ivr, effectively team lead and stay under budget, and most of all I work with the team. I do not stand around and just watch. We get the job done. It's all up to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

no name in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

Why in the world would you pay to work? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

These jobs can be found on NARMS, check it out and please, don't pay some one for information you could get for free

Sasha in Elm City, North Carolina

66 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Declining most definitely. 4 years ago I lost my well paying job as a Sales Rep for a national brand manufacturer when a big box home improvement chain changed their vendor policy, we were no longer allowed in the store (even though this account had named us Vendor of the Year 5 straight years) After 4 months unemployment, I went to work for the approved vendor representing my former employer at HALF of my former salary. This job lasted 10 months until the big box store cancelled their contract, and the entire company went out of business.

It is almost impossibe to find full time work as a merchandiser as none of the companies want to pay for any benefits, and the pay scale now is what I was making 15 years ago. It's all about the bottom line for these companies, make as much $$$ as they can and pay the employees as little as possible to get the work done. A darn shame because I have 25 years experience in the business an am considered a top performer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

gough_1200 in Salt Lake City, Utah

63 months ago

Depends on the company you work for. Some like Crossmark, Advantage Sales and Mrktng., have been around for 25-30 yrs.They are both national and International companies. I've been with Crossmark for 5 yrs. now,and they are a fantastic company. Use www.narms.com and www.volitions.com Two ways to find and/or sign up with companies.

k in Schaumburg, Illinois

48 months ago

It is sad out there, age discrimination is rampet. I know, been unemployed 4 years.I can read the hiring mgrs. exprssions and their feelings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.