Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable security guard? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective security guard?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

lawdive

55 months ago

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas said: I have to be honest, the average Security Company ask that you prior Military, or Law enforcment and get these different certifications but they really don't pay (I think) for what they are asking for. Except for Sectek I wish they had more openings in Texas, but...All is not lost! I accedntally ran across the part of Security called "Tactical Response" or labor unrest. there are many Companies that give you the advanced training , and certifications you need to suceed. wait it gets better they also fly you out to the training sites, pay for your hotel and feed you. And give you a job to-boot!!! then once you are called out to an assignment you make good money every week plus you are paid a real nice daily food per-diem. But for your life to run smooth you would need to apply with several different companys that offer this, you see, an assignment could last up to 60 days and you have to commit to at least 45 days (good )money right? But the down side is that is when you get back you might not get another call back for two months thats why it's wise to sign-up and train with more then one company, your work is based on unions and employees being on strike, walk outs, etc. Anyway this is what I do for a living and I Love it! one last thing you get to travel and stay in nice hotels all over the United States and if they call and you want to sit the next assignment out? hey thats ok they'll catch you next time around. Here, I'll start you off with the one that started it off for me (Vanceglobal.com) once you get to class there will be people there with list and list of others, now this is not for everyone but I love it, o yea it won't matter what city or state you live in, they'll fly you in from all over. Good Luck!!!

I would love to get info from you. can you please email me? i am trying to get into that as well. i do have experence both over seas and local. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aguilar in San Diego, California

51 months ago

is securitas a good company to work with in San Diego, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yea Really in Haverhill, Massachusetts

51 months ago

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas said: I have to be honest, the average Security Company ask that you prior Military, or Law enforcment and get these different certifications but they really don't pay (I think) for what they are asking for. Except for Sectek I wish they had more openings in Texas, but...All is not lost! I accedntally ran across the part of Security called "Tactical Response" or labor unrest. there are many Companies that give you the advanced training , and certifications you need to suceed. wait it gets better they also fly you out to the training sites, pay for your hotel and feed you. And give you a job to-boot!!! then once you are called out to an assignment you make good money every week plus you are paid a real nice daily food per-diem. But for your life to run smooth you would need to apply with several different companys that offer this, you see, an assignment could last up to 60 days and you have to commit to at least 45 days (good )money right? But the down side is that is when you get back you might not get another call back for two months thats why it's wise to sign-up and train with more then one company, your work is based on unions and employees being on strike, walk outs, etc. Anyway this is what I do for a living and I Love it! one last thing you get to travel and stay in nice hotels all over the United States and if they call and you want to sit the next assignment out? hey thats ok they'll catch you next time around. Here, I'll start you off with the one that started it off for me (Vanceglobal.com) once you get to class there will be people there with list and list of others, now this is not for everyone but I love it, o yea it won't matter what city or state you live in, they'll fly you in from all over. Good Luck!!!

I did this for Wachenhut back in 1985, worked 1 strike for them and was hooked. Unfortunately my wife at the time did not like me to be gone with two youngens for her to care for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Trent Miller in Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania said: Prior experience is important, but most security companies will train the right candidate with good character and a propoer attitude.

www.legionsecurityservice.com/

Now how do you define "proper attitude"?

51 months ago

Dr Dave in Lake Mary, Florida said: why do they pay so low .. its really nasty .. and i hate to see this going on .. security ofr's in genral should make 15 and up .. there is alot of mother f**kers out there dont wana pay for a god dam quailty so you know what ... dont work for any one that pays 9 or 10 an hour ... f**k them and their f**king 9 dollars .. so yah ..all ofr's should start at least with 15 and up .. any one agree ?

You might want to try and use spell check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kyote in Seattle, Washington

35 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable security guard? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective security guard?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Each state varies. I found if you have prior military or law enforcement experience that seems to help the most. In states like California, I've noticed most companies want Security officers to have their guard card, baton,pepper spray, tazer and firearm certifications. At that, a lot of those jobs still pay close to minimum wage
Working in Seattle, I have found most guards work unarmed for for over $12 hr minimum. My advice is take as much training as your security company will offer.CPR and First Aid also help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tonyvee in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

how do i become a security guard? are there any companies that provide free training?

Kyote in Seattle, Washington

35 months ago

tonyvee in Los Angeles, California said: how do i become a security guard? are there any companies that provide free training?[/Q

Since your profile says your in Los Angeles, im Assuming your in California? There are some companies out there that will still give you your security training. If you find event security job ads online, they will sometimes give you your initial training to become a security officer.The other way is to find a school or business that offers security training. You will pay more that way, but can have all if not most of your licenses with them. Good luck in your endeavor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mustang01 in Lawson, Missouri

32 months ago

When I worked as a security guard at Guardsmark for Sprint in 1997 they didn't want you armed or anything. They paid me 9.50/hr. for a family starting out that was ok. Not the best. What do I need to do to further my career? I have spoken to local police and they said I could do (totally off the path) 911 dispatch-12 shifts. Kids would have to suffer along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Protective Agent in Pensacola, Florida

1 month ago

I went to a job interview with g4s. I was interviewed by the head of security at sacred heart hospital. I told him I was certified in CPR/AED For the professional Rescuer and I had defensive tactics training he asked what kind of defensive tactics training I had I told 3 years of martial arts training. I told he liked what I see. He sad he whats to hire me. the same day I got a call from the hiring manager to come in and fill out paper work. I took a MMPI test and the next day I took a pre employment drug test. It bin over a month and I have heard noting back I don't know If passed the mmpi test or failed it I don't know if there still interested in me. I need help full information why is it taking so long for the company to contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.