Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable security guard? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective security guard?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

I have to be honest, the average Security Company ask that you prior Military, or Law enforcment and get these different certifications but they really don't pay (I think) for what they are asking for. Except for Sectek I wish they had more openings in Texas, but...All is not lost! I accedntally ran across the part of Security called "Tactical Response" or labor unrest. there are many Companies that give you the advanced training , and certifications you need to suceed. wait it gets better they also fly you out to the training sites, pay for your hotel and feed you. And give you a job to-boot!!! then once you are called out to an assignment you make good money every week plus you are paid a real nice daily food per-diem. But for your life to run smooth you would need to apply with several different companys that offer this, you see, an assignment could last up to 60 days and you have to commit to at least 45 days (good )money right? But the down side is that is when you get back you might not get another call back for two months thats why it's wise to sign-up and train with more then one company, your work is based on unions and employees being on strike, walk outs, etc. Anyway this is what I do for a living and I Love it! one last thing you get to travel and stay in nice hotels all over the United States and if they call and you want to sit the next assignment out? hey thats ok they'll catch you next time around. Here, I'll start you off with the one that started it off for me (Vanceglobal.com) once you get to class there will be people there with list and list of others, now this is not for everyone but I love it, o yea it won't matter what city or state you live in, they'll fly you in from all over. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JF Security Supervisor

79 months ago

I know were your comming i was a security supervisor for 15 yrs the problems
is security companies make more off YOU that is why you will hear THEY JUST
WANT A body you will hear that alot if a security company gets a good
client and they want to pay $15.00 hr the security company loves that
the reson is the more they get paid from the client the more they make off
you so remerber the more security companys make from the client the more
they make off you. This is the way all and i mean all security companys
work.There all the messed up like this you will see.They will tell you
YOU DID A GREAT JOB THATS BULL.Here's one think to keep in mind
if you want a rise you have to go to them they will not come to you.
If you go to them for more money you will probaly get the answer.
I WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT
Don't get me wrony some security compamies do pay good but like i said before
the more they make from a client the more they make off you
they might ask you if you can work over time if you do ask yourself why
is my pay check wrong with all the overtime i worked. you go to them you might see it fix in about 2 weeks all i can tell you is make
and i do mean make sure YOU KEEP ALL OF YOUR PAY STUBS THEY CAN F___you up
YOU OVER. Be CAREFUL

JF Supervisor no more THANK GOD
GOOD LUCK BE CAREFUL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Security officer wife in Pasadena, Texas

76 months ago

My husband is new to the Security Guard business. He works for Smith Securities, and everyone keeps telling him that Smith is the laughing stock of the Security business. He only makes 7.50 to 9 dollars an hour at any job he gets. Is this a joke or what? Just wondering how i can help him get into a better job and where to look. (I'm looking into the one in the above posting but i'd appreciate anyone's help with more.)

Thanks for being here its been a big help by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

saoluisH in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

i think this can help me

gruntz03 in Marysville, Ohio

63 months ago

Security officer wife in Pasadena, Texas said: My husband is new to the Security Guard business. He works for Smith Securities, and everyone keeps telling him that Smith is the laughing stock of the Security business. He only makes 7.50 to 9 dollars an hour at any job he gets. Is this a joke or what? Just wondering how i can help him get into a better job and where to look. (I'm looking into the one in the above posting but i'd appreciate anyone's help with more.)

Thanks for being here its been a big help by the way.

I have been in security for awhile. the best is private security where a company has there own in house security instead of contracting out. An officer will probly make more by doing this. I currently work for securitas security services in ohio. I am what they call a SORT officer. I make decent wage but i work at 27 different locations and on call 24/7

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MR. KNOWITALL in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas said: I have to be honest, the average Security Company ask that you prior Military, or Law enforcment and get these different certifications but they really don't pay (I think) for what they are asking for. Except for Sectek I wish they had more openings in Texas, but...All is not lost! I accedntally ran across the part of Security called "Tactical Response" or labor unrest. there are many Companies that give you the advanced training , and certifications you need to suceed. wait it gets better they also fly you out to the training sites, pay for your hotel and feed you. And give you a job to-boot!!! then once you are called out to an assignment you make good money every week plus you are paid a real nice daily food per-diem. But for your life to run smooth you would need to apply with several different companys that offer this, you see, an assignment could last up to 60 days and you have to commit to at least 45 days (good )money right? But the down side is that is when you get back you might not get another call back for two months thats why it's wise to sign-up and train with more then one company, your work is based on unions and employees being on strike, walk outs, etc. Anyway this is what I do for a living and I Love it! one last thing you get to travel and stay in nice hotels all over the United States and if they call and you want to sit the next assignment out? hey thats ok they'll catch you next time around. Here, I'll start you off with the one that started it off for me (Vanceglobal.com) once you get to class there will be people there with list and list of others, now this is not for everyone but I love it, o yea it won't matter what city or state you live in, they'll fly you in from all over. Good Luck!!!
(RINZINGRAND SPEAKS;) honey,baby, sweetheart..it is,repeat is a scam, and always has been!THEY WILL FLY YOU, ALL RIGHT..RIGHT OVER THE SITE AND DUMP YOU WITHOUT A PARACHUTE.!something4nothing, EHHH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MR. KNOWITALL in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

LET ME BE RESPECTFUL IN MY LANGUAGE WHEN ADDRESSING A NICE LADY LIKE ELIZABETH, IN HOUSTON,TEXAS.;;DID YOU KNOW TEXAS SECURITY LAWS ARE "WIDE OPEN AND WILD"..TO BOTH ACCEPTING UNDOCUMENTED GUARDS AS TO BACKGROUND CHECKS, AND STICKING GUARDS INTO LABOR-BUSTING ACTIVITIES WHICH BOARDER ON, OR CROSS THE LEGAL LINE...FOR THESE BIG CORPORATIONS? THE WACKENHUT CORPORATION HAS BEEN NOTORIOUS FOR SUCH ODIOUS ANTICS IN THE PAST, AND IT HAS COST THEM FINES AND POLITICAL REPRIMANDS IN CONGRESS TO BOOT! WHY BE A NEAR-MINIMUM WAGE FLUNKY OR STOOGE FOR DOING WRETCHED THINGS..IT WON'T MAKE SOCIETY, OR YOUR DAY ANY BRIGHTER. I, MYSELF, WITH A BA DEGREE FROM STETSON UNIVERSITY, PREFER A HIGHER WAGE ON SHORT-TERM CONTRACTS...AWAY FROM NOSEY, PRYING. EARS-AND-EYES. I'M NOT"ALL THAT", BUT I JUST DON'T LIKE SIX SPOONS JERKED IN FRONT OF ME EVERY TIME I SIT DOWN TO A BOWL OF SOUP!ELIZABETH, I'LL BE CLEARLY FRANK WITH YOU AND THE REST OF AMERICA'S SECURITY ONLINE..SECURITY CAN BE FULL OF HONEST, WELL-INTENTIONED GUARDS..BUT THE CLIENTS AND GUARD AGENCY ACCOUNT MANAGERS WILL NOT MAKE LIFE EASY FOR YOU AT THE WAGES YOU ARE GETTING. SAD, BUT TRUE! THE SLIGHTLY HIGHER WAGE FOR THE LIMITED TIME-FRAME YOU MENTION IS CALLED A "SHORT-TERMED CONTRACT"..IT IS A HIGHER BILLING TO CLIENTS THAN NORMAL, USUALLY ON SHORT NOTICE, AND LEAVES THE GUARD WITH NO PROMISED LEAD-IN TO A PERMANENT POSITION, OR HOOK-UP TO ANOTHER IMMEDIATE SHORT-TERM CONTRACT.IF YOU CAN HAVE A SURPLUS BANK ACCOUNT TO TIDE-YOU-OVER BETWEEN MONKEY-BARRING FROM SHORT TERM-TO-SHORT TERM CONTRACT, YOU MIGHT END UP WITH 15-20% MORE ANNUALLY, BUT IT IS MORE RISK..AND YOU MUST BE AT THE BECK-AND-CALL OF MANAGEMENT TO GO TO NEW LOCATIONS AND ROTATE TO DIFFERENT HOURS. IN THOSE SITUATIONS, FOR ME, (NOT BEING TIED DOWN AS A FAMILY MAN) I ALWAYS ROTATE TO THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT..WHERE THINGS ARE SLOWER, AND I CAN LISTEN TO COAST-TO-COAST AND NOT FEEL LIKE I AM MORE THEN I KNOW I AM NOT..CATCH THE DRIFT..BE EASY ON YOURSELF,BE WELL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

Ashworth college has a good course online that you can take. Stay away from Security companys that pay 7.50 hour. That was the average pay in 1996. SOme are still paying that amount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Naples, Florida

61 months ago

Thank you ! Gary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RANDTHINKER in Miami, Florida

56 months ago

OHHHH YEHHH-SEEMS LIKE ONE OF OLD DEAD GEORGE'S OFFSHOOT COMPANIES ( SYNONYMOUS WITH BROKEN CONTRACTS DUE TO CORRUPTIONS WORLD-WIDE )NORTH AMERICAN ARMOR, HAS FOLLOWED IN THE UNHOLY FOOTSTEPS OF THE CORRUPT TEXAS IMPRISONED SYSTEM OUT-SOURCING; THE WHISTLE-BLOWING BRTRAYAL OF THE ALYESKKA INCIDENT, AND THE OUT-RIGHT EMBARRASSING EXHIBITION OF NON-PERFORMANCE ON MIAMI'S METRO-RAIL CONTRACT. I ONCE TOLD GEORGE I'D LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO LAUGH OVER HIS CRUMBLING EMPIRE THAT DESTROYED CAREERS----GEORGE---YOU ARE DEAD, AND I AM LAUGHING. THE MIGHTY WERE---LEGENDS IN THEIR OWN MINDS. SHADOWS AND SPOOKS NO ONE FEARS OR RESPECTS ANYMORE. A VACANT-HUT---CATCH THE DRIFT!??? HOW I LAUGH,DUDE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe C in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

MR. KNOWITALL in Miami, Florida said: (RINZINGRAND SPEAKS;) honey,baby, sweetheart..it is,repeat is a scam, and always has been!THEY WILL FLY YOU, ALL RIGHT..RIGHT OVER THE SITE AND DUMP YOU WITHOUT A PARACHUTE.!something4nothing, EHHH?

It is NOT a scam! I worked for Vance in 1988 and that's exactly what they did...train you, pay you $200.00 PER DAY for the full 60 days and house and feed you too. True, I was living at a coal mine in Ky, but the money was great! Dangerous work but strikers and union people never have been too nice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lawdive

55 months ago

Elizabeth in Houston, Texas said: I have to be honest, the average Security Company ask that you prior Military, or Law enforcment and get these different certifications but they really don't pay (I think) for what they are asking for. Except for Sectek I wish they had more openings in Texas, but...All is not lost! I accedntally ran across the part of Security called "Tactical Response" or labor unrest. there are many Companies that give you the advanced training , and certifications you need to suceed. wait it gets better they also fly you out to the training sites, pay for your hotel and feed you. And give you a job to-boot!!! then once you are called out to an assignment you make good money every week plus you are paid a real nice daily food per-diem. But for your life to run smooth you would need to apply with several different companys that offer this, you see, an assignment could last up to 60 days and you have to commit to at least 45 days (good )money right? But the down side is that is when you get back you might not get another call back for two months thats why it's wise to sign-up and train with more then one company, your work is based on unions and employees being on strike, walk outs, etc. Anyway this is what I do for a living and I Love it! one last thing you get to travel and stay in nice hotels all over the United States and if they call and you want to sit the next assignment out? hey thats ok they'll catch you next time around. Here, I'll start you off with the one that started it off for me (Vanceglobal.com) once you get to class there will be people there with list and list of others, now this is not for everyone but I love it, o yea it won't matter what city or state you live in, they'll fly you in from all over. Good Luck!!!

I would love to get info from you. can you please email me? i am trying to get into that as well. i do have experence both over seas and local. thank you

Aguilar in San Diego, California

50 months ago

is securitas a good company to work with in San Diego, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yea Really in Haverhill, Massachusetts

50 months ago

I did this for Wachenhut back in 1985, worked 1 strike for them and was hooked. Unfortunately my wife at the time did not like me to be gone with two youngens for her to care for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Trent Miller in Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania said: Prior experience is important, but most security companies will train the right candidate with good character and a propoer attitude.

www.legionsecurityservice.com/

Now how do you define "proper attitude"?

50 months ago

Dr Dave in Lake Mary, Florida said: why do they pay so low .. its really nasty .. and i hate to see this going on .. security ofr's in genral should make 15 and up .. there is alot of mother f**kers out there dont wana pay for a god dam quailty so you know what ... dont work for any one that pays 9 or 10 an hour ... f**k them and their f**king 9 dollars .. so yah ..all ofr's should start at least with 15 and up .. any one agree ?

You might want to try and use spell check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kyote in Seattle, Washington

34 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable security guard? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective security guard?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Each state varies. I found if you have prior military or law enforcement experience that seems to help the most. In states like California, I've noticed most companies want Security officers to have their guard card, baton,pepper spray, tazer and firearm certifications. At that, a lot of those jobs still pay close to minimum wage
Working in Seattle, I have found most guards work unarmed for for over $12 hr minimum. My advice is take as much training as your security company will offer.CPR and First Aid also help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tonyvee in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

how do i become a security guard? are there any companies that provide free training?

Kyote in Seattle, Washington

34 months ago

tonyvee in Los Angeles, California said: how do i become a security guard? are there any companies that provide free training?[/Q

Since your profile says your in Los Angeles, im Assuming your in California? There are some companies out there that will still give you your security training. If you find event security job ads online, they will sometimes give you your initial training to become a security officer.The other way is to find a school or business that offers security training. You will pay more that way, but can have all if not most of your licenses with them. Good luck in your endeavor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mustang01 in Lawson, Missouri

31 months ago

When I worked as a security guard at Guardsmark for Sprint in 1997 they didn't want you armed or anything. They paid me 9.50/hr. for a family starting out that was ok. Not the best. What do I need to do to further my career? I have spoken to local police and they said I could do (totally off the path) 911 dispatch-12 shifts. Kids would have to suffer along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Protective Agent in Pensacola, Florida

18 days ago

I went to a job interview with g4s. I was interviewed by the head of security at sacred heart hospital. I told him I was certified in CPR/AED For the professional Rescuer and I had defensive tactics training he asked what kind of defensive tactics training I had I told 3 years of martial arts training. I told he liked what I see. He sad he whats to hire me. the same day I got a call from the hiring manager to come in and fill out paper work. I took a MMPI test and the next day I took a pre employment drug test. It bin over a month and I have heard noting back I don't know If passed the mmpi test or failed it I don't know if there still interested in me. I need help full information why is it taking so long for the company to contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.