MSW programs in NY area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 308)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Alison in Selden, New York

81 months ago

If you are not interested in a policy oriented program you might want to avoid Stony Brook. I am a recent Stony Brook graduate. Professors say every program has the same amount of everything but the emphasis at Stony Brook's School of SOCIAL WELFARE (not School of SOCIAL WORK) is social justice. I felt my clinical education was lacking and had to learn a lot in my internships.

For a really clinical program, I hear Adelphi is a better choice. Co-workers who have graduated from there seem to know a lot more clinically. Adelphi offers a part time program but the requirements to get in are harder. I don't now about competition or stress levels or about returning student friendly.

You will like a lot of the Stony Brook professors and find them helpful. Adelphi has a satellite program in Happauge but Stony Brook is still closer to you.

Stony Brook's program is also the cheapest around by at least 50% and I didn't find the program competitive. From my experience many of the students worked together to support each other and help each other through the program.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Manorville, New York

81 months ago

Alison in Selden, New York said: If you are not interested in a policy oriented program you might want to avoid Stony Brook. I am a recent Stony Brook graduate. Professors say every program has the same amount of everything but the emphasis at Stony Brook's School of SOCIAL WELFARE (not School of SOCIAL WORK) is social justice. I felt my clinical education was lacking and had to learn a lot in my internships.

For a really clinical program, I hear Adelphi is a better choice. Co-workers who have graduated from there seem to know a lot more clinically. Adelphi offers a part time program but the requirements to get in are harder. I don't now about competition or stress levels or about returning student friendly.

You will like a lot of the Stony Brook professors and find them helpful. Adelphi has a satellite program in Happauge but Stony Brook is still closer to you.

Stony Brook's program is also the cheapest around by at least 50% and I didn't find the program competitive. From my experience many of the students worked together to support each other and help each other through the program.

I hope this helps.

I agree, I forgot to add that the school is very policy oriented.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer

78 months ago

I am a graduate of Marywood University in Scranton PA. I live in Elmira, NY. I found this program great as an adult oriented..I did the 3 year part time Saturday program which was great. It has aalot of flexability as to where courses are located and times etc. check it out.. Also Buffalo and syracuse have programs and I heard Mansfeild may have a MSW program starting. Hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in Selden, New York

77 months ago

Thanks for the tip. Do a lot of people travel that far? I live In Suffolk County - the Eastern part of LI.
Why did you choose Marywood? How far was the trip for you? Did the fact that the program was out of state make any difference in certification license etc?

Hope to hear from you soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in Selden, New York

77 months ago

Thank all of you for your help.Does anyone know anything about the program at Yeshiva? Wurtzwieler School of Social Work. Are there any local programs to avoid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JETER02 in Elmira, New York

77 months ago

Charlene in Selden, New York said: Thanks for the tip. Do a lot of people travel that far? I live In Suffolk County - the Eastern part of LI.
Why did you choose Marywood? How far was the trip for you? Did the fact that the program was out of state make any difference in certification license etc?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Actually, Yes, alot of people traveled to attend. Forgive me, I am bit geographically challenged.LOL..However, it was about 3 1/2 hours to travel one way. At the orientation they sat you with poeople in your area or close to in order to set up car pools etc. It worked out great for me. The time (both years and drive) fly by. I actually looked forward to Saturdays. It was an all day affair. We met at 6:30 and classes begin at 9:00 Depending on the teacher you were out at 2-3:00 and I was home at the latest 6:00. The certification was not a problem as they informed you of all options NYS, Penn or whereever, needed. Marywood was very helpful in all areas. Hope this helped..let me know if I can help you with anything else!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Albany, New York

77 months ago

I've applied and been accepted to Fordham (the Fordham/Molloy joint program) and Adelphi University to get my MSW. Can anyone give me feedback on what each has to offer? What good things (and bad things) you've heard about one or both of them?

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eris in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

I went to NYU for my MSW and they offer nothing but a clinical track. It's an excellent school but boy do you pay for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in East Quogue, New York

76 months ago

Does anyone have any information on the Molloy/Fordham program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

liz in Nutley, New Jersey

74 months ago

I went to NYU for my MSW and they offer a great program, 21 hours in field, full time and part time. This program takes around 2 years in the full time program and is clinical oriented. But, you need to have enough money for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Landesman in Forest Hills, New York

73 months ago

You might want to check out Adelophi I just graduated in May and found there program to be awesome

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

elaine in Mastic, New York

73 months ago

Patricia Landesman in Forest Hills, New York said: You might want to check out Adelophi I just graduated in May and found there program to be awesome

patricia...can u please give me some feedback on adelphi's msw program..i am going their in the fall..i am wondering how it was to handle the 21 hr per week internship along with the coursework..is it worth the trip to garden city and/or would u prefer stony brooks msw program ( if u have heard about their program) thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynne Anne in East Setauket, New York

73 months ago

OK plain and simple - what is the least needlessly difficult , clinically oriented program that will train a student for the real world. I am not interested in working in public policy. Also my GPA is a trace under 3.00 but in the Social Science it is much higher. I do not want to go to a program that is self important or overly competitive. I want a relaxed but practical and informed environment in NY or NE PA. that has a large returning student popululation.
THANKS

73 months ago

Most of the schools of social work in New York are competitive. You would have to check out the various schools to see how your GPA stands up.

elaine in Mastic, New York

73 months ago

thank you for your response..i am starting my first year so i dont think i am taking any of those courses but i would appreciate knowing which professors are good to take...i also was suprised to hear about the capstone project because i thought the masters thesis for the msw was no longer needed? also have you heard about professors SONG, GOLDBERG, OR LYN PAUL? I am planning on doing the 2 yr program but it stinks bc i cannot work and do school and the internship all at once..it is definately hard for ppl with families and other responsibilities to complete the program so i am happy i am doing it now while i am still younger..i am so happy i found this forum to provide with with some advice and insight! i look foward to hearing from you again...also if i may ask...were u able to find a decent job and what areas are u looking into? i am looking to do therapy in a private practice..i guess one major que would be is..do psychology and the msw program coincide ( will i learn more about how to counsel/ diagnose clients) or is the school very policy orientated focusing on things like society and oppression and stuff like that?? thanks again

73 months ago

Glad to hear from you, and glad that I could provide some insight. Sharon Goldberg was my Capstone professor and she is awesome. I known that she also taught policy but I am not sure what she is teaching this coming semester. I have heard about the other two, all good things although I did not have them. As I said I only had to do one class because of what I had taken during my undergrad studies at New York Institute of Technology. I wound up majoring in sociology with a concentration in Social Work and a minor in Psychology. You could probably work part time if you are looking to make just some pocket money. You are lucky for me it was a second career. I am currently looking for a job and have been interviewing in the area of clinical as well as working with foster children since that is the area I did my internship in. When you are ready to look, there are plenty search engines like idealist.org, socialservice.com and a few others. When you are ready come back on the formum and I will try to direct you. Once you graduate you can sit for the LMSW license but if you are looking to get a clinical license a LCSW you have to do at least 2 years under a LCSW to qualify, and I am not sure you can do that in private practice because that is also my eventual goal. Psychology and sociology are two good areas to concentrate on. I am not sure what kind of classes you may have taken as an undergrad, but here is an idea of the class Adelphi gives in the last year of your program

Social Work Assessment and Diagnosis

Social Work Research II which means you will be taking Research I in the first year ...try to get Professor Mertz

Social Work with Children and Adolescents...we learned all about play therapy

Organization Context for Profession Practice... unfortunately this is the worse class you will take...talk about policy

73 months ago

Contemporary Social Work:: An Integrative Approach ... don't worry it is only about 24 pages long and takes you all semester to do!

Advanced Practice with Groups..this was fun we actual had to do a project conducting a group using our classmates

Advanced Practice with Individuals

Advanced Practice with Couples and Families here too we did therapy role-playing in class

Hope this was helpful

You can always email me at patricialandesman@yahoo.com

cjosephnyack in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

Is it mandatory that after you have completed 2years Master Degree in Social Work, that you have to work minimum 2or 3years to obtain your LCSW? If so what types of jobs are available with a MSW degree? My last question which schools in the New York City area that offers Master degrees in Social Work, but you can obtain your LCSW at a shorter period of time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Hi! From what I understand you must work in the field for at least 2 years under a LCSW in order to qualify for your exam. There are not as many jobs available to you in the clinical field unless you obtain your LMSW, most hospital settings or those agencies that deal with clinical issues require at least an LMSW. As far as your last question you would have to inquire about school at focus on clinical. I believe schools like NYU and Columbia both very hard to get into. In fact I graduated as an undergrad with a 3.97 and they did not accept me. In fact most of those schools only have openning for approximately 150 to 200 students per semester. I am taking my exam in 2 weeks but landed a job within the Foster Care area paying $42,000 without my LMSW and an additional 5K to 8K once I pass. I hope this was helpful? Are you currently in school or looking to apply?

72 months ago

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. What I would like to know after you complete the 2 years in Social Work would you obtain a LMSW or is there an exam for that one? Can you teach with a MSW or LMSW Master degree? And last what school(in the NY area) are there that are affordable and I can get some type of general and clinical training?

72 months ago

Hi! I do not believe that you can teach, I believe you also need a certain amount of time working in the field. Most of the professors that I had either had their own practice or had been working for agencies for at least 5 years, it may depend on the school you want to teach in. There is an exam for your LMSW and a exam for your LCSW when the time comes that you qualify. After graduating you have to file papers with the state that costs you $270.00 for them to say that you have completed everything and can sit for the exam, it then costs you another $175 to actually take the exam. Nothing unfortunatley comes cheap! The only schools I am familiar with is Adelphi, NYU, Columbia and Hunters College. NYU I know is very expensive, Adelphi runs about $25,000 per year and I am not sure of the cost for the other schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Yes I am looking for schools for the spring of 2009, at this point I am looking for a school were after the 2years is completed that I work and the salary would be reasonable (mainly 60,000).What might be the best way for me to take?

72 months ago

If you haven't been working in the field prior $60,000 is going to be a hard amount to get. What you might to do is to work in the field while you are completing your degree so that you have some experience behind you. Let me warn you it is not easy working a full time job, doing internship and taking full time classes. For me this is a new career and all the experience I have is my volunteer work and internship for the past 15 months so I was surprised to get offered what I did. Good luck and keep me posted as to where you decide to go and what route you take.

72 months ago

Are their more jobs openings in Social Work then a Master in Psychology and or mental health counselor? Why I ask is because I have a BA degree in Forensic Psychology and most of the time students go straight into a PhD in clinical psychology, but is Social work and psychology similar? Thanks for your help again..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Reyes in Pomona, New York

72 months ago

liz in Nutley, New Jersey said: I went to NYU for my MSW and they offer a great program, 21 hours in field, full time and part time. This program takes around 2 years in the full time program and is clinical oriented. But, you need to have enough money for it!

Hello! I have been looking at the MSW program in NYU. I graduated with a BA in Psychology and now want to further pursue to become a clinical therapist. Can you give me any advise on writing my personal statement for the application? Also I have been trying for the longest time to get my recommendations filled out by three of my old professors. I have contacted them by phone and email and still have not heard back. I just feel like no one wants to help me! :( Please if you can I would greatly appreciate it :)

liz in East Hanover, New Jersey

72 months ago

You can write your personal statement about why you want to be a clinical therapist? Also, discuss why it is important for you help people in the community? What experiences during your childhood or during your development made you feel interested in choosing this profession. Moreover, your short-term goals, favorite books related to this profession and demonstrate sensitivity and real interest and commitment with the profession. You can look in the internet information about how you can write your personal statement as guidelines and other ideas. Try to be clear and honest in your personal statement. If you have job experience in this field you can also add it. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Sandy Reyes in Pomona, New York said: Hello! I have been looking at the MSW program in NYU. I graduated with a BA in Psychology and now want to further pursue to become a clinical therapist. Can you give me any advise on writing my personal statement for the application? Also I have been trying for the longest time to get my recommendations filled out by three of my old professors. I have contacted them by phone and email and still have not heard back. I just feel like no one wants to help me! :( Please if you can I would greatly appreciate it :)

Yes, Liz has some great advice. I have found the more you can relate your experiences whethe work, personnal(not to personnel)etc. is the way to go. also Advice I got was to also include as liz stated, WHY you feel the puull in this direction for your life. With the way way the world is today, that's not hard to answer. We need all the therapist we can get, The therapist need therapist. LOL!! Anyway, If your heart is set on NYU great, however, I went to Marywood in Scranton Pa. They have a great Saturday program that fit into my world great, being I am a school social worker. Also I don't mean to babble, But in 9/05 the law in NY State changed. You can have a MSW and go for your your LMSW or LCSW which ever you want with no prior experience.If you log on to NYS off of education and search social work they will send you everything you need. Also there is a limited permit for $70.00 that qualifys you as an LMSW or LCSW for 1 year as long as you pass the test w/in a year. You pri knew that huh? LOL.. Just hope all my mobo jombo helped! Good Luck!!

72 months ago

Hi I have to disagree with your statement that you can go for you LCSW without any prior experience. According to the ASWB sight which is the one you need to register for your exams it states the following under LCSW:
"Clinical: MSW with two years post-master's direct clinical social work experience."

72 months ago

If you do not mind me asking, you can obtain a Master degree in Social Work and then receive your LMSW or LCSW with no prior experience? Is this process offer to most schools in NY or is it only certain school? Also in order to be a clinical therapist you would need a LCSW? Can you explain the process Thank you…..?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Once you graduate from a Masters Program in Social Work you are considered having the title of MSW, after applying to the state and them confirming your creditentials you can take the exam for a LMSW, this is for all schools in New York where you complete your masters degree. In order to obtain your LCSW you must have two years POST Masters direct clinical social work experience which must be obtained under a registered LCSW. unfortunately there are no short cuts. If you have a change go onto the ASWB site = www.aswb.com and it will give you all the requirements you need

72 months ago

I'll try, To the best of my knowledge,Yes you can take the test as long as you have an MSW..Only because after graduation, alot of my friends signed up immediately to take it and get it out of the way. Which was actually smart.This was in PA, however, it is the same in NYS as well. Every school because it is a state thing not a school admin. thing. LOl Sorry, Just having my Diet Pepsi, not awake yet. Loss for words. I can explain better if ya need in ohh about 1/2 hour LOL I'll answer anything and help you out any way I can. I wouldn't state things on such a site if I was not absolutelt sure.(I hope I don't eat my words0 but i'm 99.999 sure. LOL You asked if you about Clinical therapist? I can only tell you from what I have experienced, however, Yes, many clinical therapist have an LMSW. That pretty much thee norm. An LCSW your golden and an "R" #, Hey your in bussiness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I took my LCSW the summer after i graduated?? 2000. Although as well as being grandfathered in, however, I signed up immediately for the LCSW?? www.aswb.com!! Check it out???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

OMG!! There I go..EATING MY WORDS!!! I'm WRONG< SORRY, I had two years , actually 6, before, soooooo I will shut up, drink my diet Pepsi, along with a bowl of ..WORDS!! LOL !! OMG..I apologize.. !!!

72 months ago

Were you working in a clinical setting prior to taking your exam??

72 months ago

I figured that you must have had the experience behind you because I have done much investigating! That's okay! By the way how did you find the exam?? I am taking the LMSW exam in 2 weeks. Everyone that I spoke to said the exams that are on the web site are so much harder than the actual exam.

Allison in Manorville, New York

72 months ago

Patricia Landesman in Forest Hills, New York said: I figured that you must have had the experience behind you because I have done much investigating! That's okay! By the way how did you find the exam?? I am taking the LMSW exam in 2 weeks. Everyone that I spoke to said the exams that are on the web site are so much harder than the actual exam.

I took the LMSW exam in May08 and found that if you did ok on the practice exam on the ASWB website and refreshed your memory on whatever areas you missed questions on the practice exam, then the actual exam in not a problem. It was alot of ethics questions! :) My biggest challenge was just getting over the nervousnes. Good luck and I am sure you will do fine!

72 months ago

Thanks I will let you know how it goes

JAY in Woodside, New York

71 months ago

I HAVE TAKEN THE EXAM SEVRAL TIMES AND FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PASS. I HAVE TRIED EVERY SINLGE OPTION THERE IS.

71 months ago

Jay don't feel back after 4 1/2 months of studying I took the exam on Saturday and did terrible.

71 months ago

JAY in Woodside, New York said: I HAVE TAKEN THE EXAM SEVRAL TIMES AND FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PASS. I HAVE TRIED EVERY SINLGE OPTION THERE IS.

Sorry Jay what I meant was don't feel bad

Debbie in Holtsville, New York

71 months ago

I totally understand how you feel b/c I have taken the LMSW exam a couple of times and not passed. I got 71 on all exams...I am trying to find a private tutor.

71 months ago

Here they did not supply us with a score it just said failed!

Purplegirl in Patchogue, New York

71 months ago

You have to write to them and request it....

71 months ago

Mine said failed too, but I wrote to them, and you can request your score.

71 months ago

Thanks for the heads up

71 months ago

You can email her:

Lharless@aswb.org

and that is how I got the information. I was given this woman's email address (She is a Coordinator for ASWB test makeup) when I called ASWB the day I failed, and they said to email her....Good Luck.

Carri in New York, New York

70 months ago

I have been accepted to NYU's MSW 16 month accelerated program which starts January 2009. I am still waiting to hear from Hunter. I definitely want to do clinical work, which is NYU's specialty. However, Hunter is at least 1/3 the cost of NYU so I am having a hard time rationalizing spending the additional money. I would love any advice. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Spring Valley, New York

70 months ago

Hey Carri,

How was the application process for NYU? Did you find it easy writing your statements and also getting your recommendation letters. I haven't found anything of it to be easy. I have contacted many professors that haven't responded :( I would appreciate any advice :)

Thanks

Carri in New York, New York

70 months ago

Hi Sandy. The application process was fairly simple. I wrote one general statement and then tailored it for each application since each required varied format and some had additional questions to respond to. The basis was the same-- addressing why I am suddenly changing careers, my path to this decision, etc. As far as my recommendations, I have been out of school for many years so it would have been silly (not to mention nearly impossible) to get helpful detailed letters from professors. I received 2 letters from past employers and 1 from a coworker. I am not sure of your situation, but do you have an employer who could write one? Have you done any volunteer work? If so, perhaps a supervisor at the organization could write one. Just an fyi-- I was told the application is NOT reviewed until all pieces of requested information is received (including references, transcripts, etc.). Hope this helps! What programs are you looking into?

Sandy in Spring Valley, New York said: Hey Carri,

How was the application process for NYU? Did you find it easy writing your statements and also getting your recommendation letters. I haven't found anything of it to be easy. I have contacted many professors that haven't responded :( I would appreciate any advice :)

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nisha in Huntington Station, New York

69 months ago

Hi,

I was accepted in NYU and Columbia's 16 month programs...I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Nyu offered me a scholarship, Columbia didn't. But Columbia is, well...Columbia! I'm confused!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.