Can't find a job in Chicago, IL

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Nickey 1 in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Hello, I have obtained a MWS in 07'and I can not find a job. I have applied for tons of jobs but no one is calling me back. I am so frustrated and just feel hopeless at times. I need help on who and where are hiring for MSW!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sherri in Glenwood, Illinois

67 months ago

Hi, I recently received a masters in counseling and i have applied for 100's of jobs. Nobody has called back and im also losing hope so i understand you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

You guys aren't alone - I can't find a job either. Graduated in May '08 and I've only had a handful of interviews.

It's not that I'm losing hope at this point...I just feel stuck and frustrated.

Are there social workers for social workers who can't find jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1badworld in North Olmsted, Ohio

43 months ago

Nickey 1 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello, I have obtained a MWS in 07'and I can not find a job. I have applied for tons of jobs but no one is calling me back. I am so frustrated and just feel hopeless at times. I need help on who and where are hiring for MSW!!!!!!!!!

Hi Nickey. I am curious to know if you have obtained your license. I live in Houston and there is abundant amount of work for social workers. Have you considered relocating? I see that you posted your comment sometime ago, so I hope things have gotten better for you now. Nevertheless, hing in there and don't give up. God's speed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

1badworld in North Olmsted, Ohio

43 months ago

I have a MBA and I currently work in the financial sector. However, I have been giving a lot of consideration to make a career change. Preferably as a license clinical social worker. Can anyone provide me with any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lyrical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Bill in Fargo, North Dakota

42 months ago

1badworld in North Olmsted, Ohio said: I have a MBA and I currently work in the financial sector. However, I have been giving a lot of consideration to make a career change. Preferably as a license clinical social worker. Can anyone provide me with any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lyrical

Yea, stay in business because you will be broke as a social worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

faeblvr in Wichita, Kansas

39 months ago

I know this post is a couple of months old but I'm right there with you. I have all the education but no job experience, over 40 and very discouraged. I was lucky enough to be able to concentrate on my education for the last 12 years since my husband passed but now I'm thinking it was a complete waste of time. Nobody cares about my education. Good luck

Tracie

mike in El Paso, Texas

39 months ago

faeblvr in Wichita, Kansas said: I know this post is a couple of months old but I'm right there with you. I have all the education but no job experience, over 40 and very discouraged. I was lucky enough to be able to concentrate on my education for the last 12 years since my husband passed but now I'm thinking it was a complete waste of time. Nobody cares about my education. Good luck

Tracie

well you could volunteer for awhile ..to get the experience

39 months ago

Thank you for the reply and I have considered it, I was just hoping I would get a job before my daughter turned 18 and we lost her social security check. She turns 18 in May. My sister wants me to move to Austin, thinking I would have a better chance in getting a job down there although I'm not convinced. Would anyone know what the job market is like for social workers down there?

Thanks
Tracie

mike in El Paso, Texas

39 months ago

well you could probably find a job working with youth in residential care....pays anywhere from 10-12hr...it would be a job plus experience in social services....with your degree you could probably get case worker/management position after a year ...i wish you the best....

39 months ago

Thank you for your encouragement. I guess I will see what the future holds.

mike in El Paso, Texas

39 months ago

you can also check out texas health and human services ..then click on austin ...they have some jobs on there ..and good thing is those are state jobs...
also socialservices.org ..i think thats the website i havent been on in a while..

Vivian in Evanston, Illinois

39 months ago

Also try the state of Florida, Texas, and AZ; they are hiring like crazy. Please visit their job website. I am currently completing my MSW at Jane Addams here in Chicago and trust me as soon as I complete my program, AND HELLO TEXAS:)

39 months ago

I will check those sites out. Thank you :)

giving up on social work in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

1badworld in North Olmsted, Ohio said: I have a MBA and I currently work in the financial sector. However, I have been giving a lot of consideration to make a career change. Preferably as a license clinical social worker. Can anyone provide me with any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lyrical

Social Work is a waste of time, you are better off staying in the financial sector!

giving up on social work in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

I am having a hard time finding work in Chicago and the cost of living is too high up to take less than $30K! Can't live on your own on social worker salary and have to work more than one job to make it! Hell, the State is broke and so many people, not only social workers, but psych and other human service degrees holders are competing for the same jobs up here. Where are some other states or cities where there are social work opportunities?

VFB in Illinois

37 months ago

giving up on social work in Chicago, Illinois said: I am having a hard time finding work in Chicago and the cost of living is too high up to take less than $30K! Can't live on your own on social worker salary and have to work more than one job to make it! Hell, the State is broke and so many people, not only social workers, but psych and other human service degrees holders are competing for the same jobs up here. Where are some other states or cities where there are social work opportunities?

I am currently enrolled at JACSW graduate program in Chicago, after completing the program, I plan to expand my options outside of Chicago: Texas, AZ, and overseas (ex: London). The only way to grow your career in this field is to think outside the box, be open to relocating, even if it means overseas. The countries are going global now, including the field of social service. I recently came back from UAE United Arab Emirates to attend a educational conference/network and trust me when I say this, I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS COUNTRY....beautiful! Now they are recruiting for Social Work professors and apply their skills/practice.

TC in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

37 months ago

faeblvr in Wichita, Kansas said: I know this post is a couple of months old but I'm right there with you. I have all the education but no job experience, over 40 and very discouraged. I was lucky enough to be able to concentrate on my education for the last 12 years since my husband passed but now I'm thinking it was a complete waste of time. Nobody cares about my education. Good luck

Tracie

I feel your pain however education is NEVER a waste of time because knowledge is power so whether you have a job or not, you have something that cannot be taken away. If I were you I would look for a job in other states if that's what it took to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jlangmft in Salinas, California

36 months ago

I am a recent graduate with an MA in psychology and I would love to work in another country but since those jobs are usually government jobs that require someone to sponsor you they look just as much out of reach as applying to stuff here in the states. I have also applied to over 100 places since February of this year and I haven't gotten anything, it is extremely frustrating.

Alexis in Miami, Florida

36 months ago

For those with a MSW, a License, and experience: check "usajobs.gov", put in social worker and you will see the government is hiring, salary listed is 57,000+. I didn't read much because I am only a sociology student, but if you read the qualifications, maybe some of you can get a job. Good luck =)

atoorl7@yahoo.com in Park Ridge, Illinois

33 months ago

I have been laid off since 2008,I was in the administive field, company closed, since then I have been working part times jobs here and there but still look a job I can actually pay bills and takE care of my family. I have had no luck, I'am a positive person but I'am losing hope and I dont know what to do, these agency say they have jobs, you go there for almost three hours and then they tell you oh that is taken but will keep your resume if something comes up. I am 32 have worked since I was legal to work, grew in a middle class family. Now I have to collect food stamps for my family to eat. I feel like im losing my mind..

VFB in Illinois

32 months ago

atoorl7@yahoo.com in Park Ridge, Illinois said: I have been laid off since 2008,I was in the administive field, company closed, since then I have been working part times jobs here and there but still look a job I can actually pay bills and takE care of my family. I have had no luck, I'am a positive person but I'am losing hope and I dont know what to do, these agency say they have jobs, you go there for almost three hours and then they tell you oh that is taken but will keep your resume if something comes up. I am 32 have worked since I was legal to work, grew in a middle class family. Now I have to collect food stamps for my family to eat. I feel like im losing my mind..

Please don't loose hope or your mind! You are not alone:) I know you don't want to hear this but you might want to think about relocating as an option. Unfortunately, big cities bring high population of people, which mean competition in the work force. Maybe look at a small state (South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Minnesota, etc). I am a grad student at UIC, 47 years old, and I already know that I will have to relocate outside of the state of Illinois or overseas to look for a job. The Midwest is the worst, depending on your profession. Pleaseee don't loose hope and keep your sanity by thinking positive! Sometimes if you have a focus/goal/purpose than it helps you stay sane and motivated. Remember, the only way someone can take your happiness, joy, hope, and faith, if you give it to them:)

I will keep you and your family in my prayers:)

Best Regards,
Vivian

PCL in El Centro, California

28 months ago

I know how everyone else feels here. I feel depressed how i cant obtain a SW position. I have experience, but where i live is the 2 highest unemployment rate in the nation. I was told that 200 case managers were laid off this past summer so, jobs are very competitive. I have had a handful of interviews and no offers. Social work positions are hard to obtain right now due to this down economy. jobs are limited and highly competitive. Possibility i may be working for a call center company working as a sales rep. I cant sit here and wait till the perfect sw position comes. I have 2 kids and bills to pay. I cant wait any longer. :(

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

A lot of people come to the MD/DC area for better job opportunities. The problem is they are finding the same problems as mentioned above (prior posts). However, i see tons of open social work/social services/human services job announcements and depending on what you see and send a resume to it can make a difference. A lot of jobs seem to be asking for a license now. But there are still a lot of jobs that ask for a bachelors (in social work or related social science); the pay won't be much though.

VFB in Illinois

27 months ago

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia said: A lot of people come to the MD/DC area for better job opportunities. The problem is they are finding the same problems as mentioned above (prior posts). However, i see tons of open social work/social services/human services job announcements and depending on what you see and send a resume to it can make a difference. A lot of jobs seem to be asking for a license now. But there are still a lot of jobs that ask for a bachelors (in social work or related social science); the pay won't be much though.

I am currently living in Illinois, completing my MSW program at the end of April, and I have applied for my LGSW with the The Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners to take my exam. Yes, you are 100% correct regarding jobs in MD/DC, you must have a LGSW to find a job that pays money. Not only just the education but work experience but who you are as a person. For example, are you open to working with different population of people who have complex issues (Juveniles, prison, gangs, etc.). Also, I am a strong believer that the United States is not the only country that offer opportunity.

Chicago in Skokie, Illinois

26 months ago

I have a PE as a civil engineer with over 10 years experience and I was laid off last year and ever since I have been searching for a job. I had interviews only but no offer. I'm loosing hope too guys.
I understand that the economy plays major role of why we can't find a job, but in another hand I see and hear too many employers prefer the employee just if he/she is referred by someone regardless if you are qualify, skills or experience. It is really unfair that you see and engineer who believes the sun rise from north working as a civil engineer because he/she had referred and we are studying hard to improve our qualification and with good experience. It is really unfair. the problem with employers more than goverements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VFB in Illinois

26 months ago

Chicago in Skokie, Illinois said: I have a PE as a civil engineer with over 10 years experience and I was laid off last year and ever since I have been searching for a job. I had interviews only but no offer. I'm loosing hope too guys.
I understand that the economy plays major role of why we can't find a job, but in another hand I see and hear too many employers prefer the employee just if he/she is referred by someone regardless if you are qualify, skills or experience. It is really unfair that you see and engineer who believes the sun rise from north working as a civil engineer because he/she had referred and we are studying hard to improve our qualification and with good experience. It is really unfair. the problem with employers more than goverements.

Don't give up hope, you might have to expand your options to other states or be open to working abroad:)

VFB in Illinois

26 months ago

Chicago in Skokie, Illinois said: I have a PE as a civil engineer with over 10 years experience and I was laid off last year and ever since I have been searching for a job. I had interviews only but no offer. I'm loosing hope too guys.

Don't lose hope! Expand your options to other cities and possibly other countries:)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.