social work recruitment in the UK

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

oli gibbs in Horsell, United Kingdom

91 months ago

I wonder if anyone has experience looking for social work jobs in the UK, I found this site very useful www.4socialwork.com however anu tips would be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kaiser in Aylesbury, United Kingdom

90 months ago

Social Work is very challenging in the UK. Not worth it ending doing filing and admin job. Too much red tape and SWs are treated like crap.Not trying to be negative but this is the reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

oli gibbs in North Acton, United Kingdom

90 months ago

I know where you're coming from Kaiser. There are a few helpful agencies out there but not many, I recommend www.4socialwork.com they are helpful with red tape etca and the website has good up to date jobs on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Fremont, California

85 months ago

RE 4socialwork.com

Who would trust 4socialwork.com...No one's name is listed on it's website. Is it a Company? It never or takes for ever answer email messages. UK's British Association of Social Workers [basw] and the Brit's Recruitment and Employment Confederation [rec] say 4socialwork.com is not a member of either, although the website claims they are. They can be contacted to confirm this information.

Seller and buyer beware

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oublie-ooo in Cardiff, United Kingdom

85 months ago

Your best bet for Social work in the UK is Tne Guardian newspaper on a wednesday and also the website Community Care - both are considered prime recruiting mediums for all areas of SW
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hayley in Lincoln, United Kingdom

82 months ago

adrienne in Los Angeles, California said: I am from los angeles and also searching for the same info regarding jobs in UK.

Hi Adrienne!
I would recommend deciding on a Local Authority, and area of social work you would like to work in and then put that in google! (ie 'East London County Council Social Work job vacancies children and families). Hopefully you will get a varity of agency vacancies - you are more likely to find statutory local authority jobs though - and if you want an experience of real British Social Work then that will suit you. However it is very hard and stressful but you will learn a lot quickly and will put you in good stead for working in private or charity agencies later on if you want to. If that fails, 'community care' may provide you with some info or check out the BASW or GSCC websites.

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some similar information about Social Work in Los Angeles!? I have just qualified in the UK and I want to explore how social work with children and families happens where you are! Could you help in any way please!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jade in Plymouth, United Kingdom

81 months ago

Contact BBT, reedhealthcare, or Blue care or just type in the web search international recruitment agencies in the UK. The UK is pathetic it will let anyone in the country as so LOW on social workers. Not to mention thoes that come here get paid more than the people who are born and bred in this country. I don't mind but other countries do not offer the same opportunities??? I would love to go to New York but its been a headache looking for the opportunties and the money is awful, especially as the dollar is lower than the UK £.

Yes just contact a UK agency and they will sort out everything for you including helping with accomodations, visa's meeting u at the airport ect.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jade in Plymouth, United Kingdom

81 months ago

jade in Plymouth, United Kingdom said: Contact BBT, reedhealthcare, or Blue care or just type in the web search international recruitment agencies in the UK. The UK is pathetic it will let anyone in the country as so LOW on social workers. Not to mention thoes that come here get paid more than the people who are born and bred in this country. I don't mind but other countries do not offer the same opportunities??? I would love to go to New York but its been a headache looking for the opportunties and the money is awful, especially as the dollar is lower than the UK £.

Yes just contact a UK agency and they will sort out everything for you including helping with accomodations, visa's meeting u at the airport ect.

Good luck

www.aptus-socialcare.com/31overseas.asp

This is really good, don't listen to all the negative stuff about social work in the UK, its the same where ever you go. Its a hard demanding job but the pay is good with an agency, Exeter, Newton Abbot and Plymouth are good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

adrienne in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

well, thanks. I know the US does not value social services so we get paid little. But there is better pay if you work for a government agency, especially if you are a licensed person. I just don't like the idea of working for the government because they tend work you so hard that you don't get to enjoy your salary.

eris in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

jade in Plymouth, United Kingdom said: Contact BBT, reedhealthcare, or Blue care or just type in the web search international recruitment agencies in the UK. The UK is pathetic it will let anyone in the country as so LOW on social workers. Not to mention thoes that come here get paid more than the people who are born and bred in this country. I don't mind but other countries do not offer the same opportunities??? I would love to go to New York but its been a headache looking for the opportunties and the money is awful, especially as the dollar is lower than the UK £.

Good luck

ha ha. That's why people try to work in the UK. If you think the pay in New York is low- you would hate to see our other cities' offerings.

Nduna Biyase in London, United Kingdom

79 months ago

Kaiser in Aylesbury, United Kingdom said: Social Work is very challenging in the UK. Not worth it ending doing filing and admin job. Too much red tape and SWs are treated like crap.Not trying to be negative but this is the reality.

I beg to disagree with your coment. I have practised as a social worker for four years and never done filling and admin. Anyway most of the local Authorities are using paperless system meaning that there is no paper to file.

Nduna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dori in Lawrenceville, Georgia

79 months ago

Try Pulse Staffing or UK Pro .

qqandanan in Singapore, Singapore

73 months ago

Hey all,

I have just accepted an offer from a university in Singapore to do my Bachelor of Social Work. :) Is the UK social work job market friendly towards Southeast Asians? The pay in Singapore for social work is pathetic and is not regulated strictly, hence there are lots of "abusive" social workers around. I am looking forward to work abroad, especially in Europe/Australia/New Zealand as a social worker in the near future as I find that their societal problems are more genuine than those in my country. Ppl here tend to think that as a social worker, you don't get paid. Social workers are not considered as professionals and hence that explains the low pay and disrespect for the sector here.

Regards,
Rosie

Shereen Hussein in Woking, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Are you a citizen of a country other than the UK?

AND

Are you working in a care home, for a home care agency, or as a support worker, social worker, care manager or occupational therapist?

If your answer is yes to both of these questions, we would very much like to hear about your experiences of working in the UK, whether you were recruited when you were living in another country or after you had arrived in the UK.

Your views are very valuable to our research and we would appreciate if you can take part by completing an online survey. This is easy to do and there is a prize draw with 6 prizes ! The survey does not ask you to provide any personal information, it is anonymous and your views will be only used for research purposes.

If you would like to contribute your views, please e-mail me, Shereen Hussein, [shereen.hussein@kcl.ac.uk] and I will send you a unique link to the online survey. No personal details (such as name, place of work or address) will be collected and your views will be only used in aggregate, in combination with other people’s, for research purposes. Please email me, Shereen, if you have any questions.

The survey is being carried out by an independent research unit based at our university: The Social Care Workforce Research Unit, King’s College London. The study has gained ethical approval [Ref: (GGS)/08/09-21] from our university:
www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/interdisciplinary/scwru/index.html

Everyone who completes our survey will be entered into a prize draw with the first prize of FIFITY POUNDS (in high street vouchers) with another 5 runners up getting TEN POUND vouchers each. Winners will be drawn by random after the closing date of the survey (end of April 2009) and winners will be notified by e-mail and asked to provide a postal address to receive their prize.

WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU !.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GeeDee in London, United Kingdom

69 months ago

qqandanan in Singapore, Singapore said: Hey all,

I have just accepted an offer from a university in Singapore to do my Bachelor of Social Work. :) Is the UK social work job market friendly towards Southeast Asians? The pay in Singapore for social work is pathetic and is not regulated strictly, hence there are lots of "abusive" social workers around. I am looking forward to work abroad, especially in Europe/Australia/New Zealand as a social worker in the near future as I find that their societal problems are more genuine than those in my country. Ppl here tend to think that as a social worker, you don't get paid. Social workers are not considered as professionals and hence that explains the low pay and disrespect for the sector here.

Regards,
Rosie

Social Work in the UK is hard but very rewarding both through job satisfaction and pay. We are going through a hard time in the media at the moment google Baby P, however most of us sitck it out because we know what a differnce we make. just make sure you take care of yourself, there are lots of orgnaisations which are dedicated to soical workers wellbeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Birmingham, United Kingdom

68 months ago

adrienne in Los Angeles, California said: I am from los angeles and also searching for the same info regarding jobs in UK.

I'm a social worker here in UK. If you want a job, go to walsall metropolitan council and tried to apply there directly. They recruited social workers from US recently.

Diana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bienkie in Parow, South Africa

67 months ago

Hi there

I was reading with interest all the different comments about the poor salaries and the working conditions. It seems to me that all Social Worker around the world feel that they are poorly paid, and in the end a salary is relevant to where you stay! Here in South Africa social workers are also not paid enough, so we are looking at the UK to earn pounds which is 1 Pound = 13 ZAR. I suppose everywhere conditions can be better - I think the only thing one can change is your attitude and try to think more positively!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L.GNANAKIRUBA in New Delhi, India

64 months ago

OK YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY NICE IN FUTURE I JOIN YOUR COMPANIES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L.GNANAKIRUBA in New Delhi, India

64 months ago

your comments are very useful to me In future i interested to join your companies

munya in Western Township, South Africa

33 months ago

I am working in South Africa as a Social Worker for the past three years. Are there any agencies that are recruiting from Africa to the UK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mahesh kumar., in Satellite Provider

31 months ago

Hi all,
I am a professional social worker from india with two years of experience in agency setting and in teaching both. I have done my BSW &MSW. Now i am planning to go to london (UK). Is it possibele to get a job in UK as indian? Needed licence ? If yes how to get licence? What are the basic requirements and degrees to get social work jobs in UK? what is the easiest way to get job in UK. I am hard worker and have self commitment. Please help me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

zethustofu@gmail.com in South Africa

16 months ago

I have recently qualified for my Social Work degree (2012)in South Africa and currently unemployed and it is very difficuult to find a job these days. We studied with a bursary from the government, they promised to employ us but now they are not promising anything. Can you please help with a good agency in the UK to get me a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.