Trying to find a job - West Michigan

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Nikki in Grand Rapids, Michigan

89 months ago

I graduated with a bachelors in Social Work in 2003 from an accredited university. I applied for TONS of jobs but never got a call back at all. Eventually I started looking for office work and landed a decent paying job. Only problem is that I'm BORED OUT OF MY MIND. I want to work in social work field. I want a job that I feel serves a purpose, rather than just pushing papers for some factory. I've sent out a few resumes to social work jobs, but have yet to get any replies. I'm assuming it's mostly because the only experience I have is in my internships while in school. How can I get experience if no one will give me a chance? The frustration keeps growing as I get more and more bored in my current job. I'm only 27 years old and need to find a position that I can look forward to getting out of bed in the morning. Any suggestions or leads would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nikki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandinmytoes in Los Angeles, California

89 months ago

Try your local CPS department. They usually hire entry level workers at a low salary. Also, group homes is another avenue you might want to try just to get a foot in the door.

You could also offer to intern for CPS and get the needed experience (6 mos.) until you qualify for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Grand Rapids, Michigan

89 months ago

sandinmytoes in Los Angeles, California said: Try your local CPS department. They usually hire entry level workers at a low salary. Also, group homes is another avenue you might want to try just to get a foot in the door.

You could also offer to intern for CPS and get the needed experience (6 mos.) until you qualify for the job.

See the problem I'm running into is that I can't afford to start with an extremely low paying salary. I do understand that I won't be starting at the top, but right now, I make a middle grade salary and I live my life and bills according to that. I have a mortgage payment, car payment, 2 dogs, a cat, etc....I can afford to go down SOME but not too much. Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those.

Nikki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

deckie in San Francisco, California

89 months ago

nikki,
i'm a retired msw and agency administrator. i didn't read exactly what type of work you were going for, but the profession if "social work" is very interesting... as you know, there are 3 levels: bsw, msw and dsw. when it comes to employability, the levels on each end are basically dead ends. few agencies want to hire at either level. hiring at the bsw level puts the agency at a much higher liability risk because of general inexperience. as a bsw, even if you were fortunate enough to find a job, it would most likely be doing basic "grunt work" for very little pay. hiring at the dsw level is just too expensive.
the "optimal" or "terminal" degree in social work is and has always been msw. with that degree, you are very marketable. agencies get a good balance of maturity and "professional level" training for a reasonable amount.
so, imho go back to school! and make sure the msw program is accredited!
hope my 2 cents was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

deckie in San Francisco, California

89 months ago

forgot to add a comment about where to work...
again, i have no clue of your personal preferences. but the bulk of social work jobs are offered by governmental agencies. pay and benefits (including job security) are generally better at higher governmental levels. for instance, federal level generally has a higher pay scale than state or county. non profits are at the bottom rung.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Rooster in El Paso, Texas

89 months ago

To Nikki in Grand Rapids
Try Ross IES. They are out of Michigan and they do mainly work for the workforce programs around the Michigan area. They get folks to go to school to get a better job, but they need caseworkers to help these folks. its not a textbook social workers job but it would get you in the door andgive you something to put on your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Garilee Janofski in mt pleasant, Michigan

89 months ago

Why don't you email me your resume We are currently looking for a new social worker for our girls home.

Maria Gorton in Milford, Michigan

89 months ago

I am also a BSW graduate. I graduated in 2007 and have not yet found a social work position. I am currently working in an unrelated field for income. What I lack in experience, I would definitely make up in effort. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Good luck to you Nikki - I hope you find a good position.

Lindsay in Royal Oak, Michigan

89 months ago

Maria Gorton in Milford, Michigan said: I am also a BSW graduate. I graduated in 2007 and have not yet found a social work position. I am currently working in an unrelated field for income. What I lack in experience, I would definitely make up in effort. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Good luck to you Nikki - I hope you find a good position.

Try Community Care services in lincoln Park, MI, this is close to detroit, MI. It is a community mental health agency, and we are currently hiring, it is a good place to start gaining experience in the mental health field. Working there is fun, very family like environment.

J. Girardeau in Kansas City, Missouri

85 months ago

If you haven't already, you may want to try:

SocialService.Com
www.socialservice.com

You can search this web site without registering, but if you register you can post your resume and have new job openings e-mailed to you.

J. Girardeau in Kansas City, Missouri

85 months ago

Also, try Michigan Comnet's jobs page at:

Michigan Comnet Jobs Page
comnet.org/jobs/

liz in Waterford, Michigan

84 months ago

I expressd to a friend my desire to go to school for a mental health/social work degree. She doesn't think its a good idea considering the economy, particulary on MI. I am returning to life after being awhile for a while, but I believe this is where I am being led. Any suggestions. As for prayer, I am already there.

liz in Waterford, Michigan

84 months ago

I am considering going to school for mental health/social work. A good friend says that job market is very poor, but it does interest me, especially in a christian enviorment. Any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lulu in Dearborn, Michigan

83 months ago

plz plz plz plz i need yewr help my friend leave in united arabs and i wanna help him if he can came to dearborn, michigan and work there so plz i wanna keep my email address and u can send to me a masseger and tell me whatever yew want thank you so much bye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Grand Rapids, Michigan

79 months ago

Hi Nikki,

I graduated with my BSW a couople of years ago. I'd suggest The Bridge of Arbor Circle, or St. Johns home... they are both direct care. I'm sure you have tried applying to them (Pine rest/thresholds/wedgewood) before, but keep them current. Every 6 months, re-apply.

Also, since the law suit, Michigan is now taking lots of new "seasoned" BSW's and MSW's and putting them in higher positions which means that there are openings at the direct care level. Right now is optimal to find employment.

Its there- just keep trying. I know how tough it can be. I'm looking again too :(

csoldevi in Plymouth, Massachusetts

78 months ago

It's definitely tough. I have a LCSW and am working, but the job I have i don't like and it doesn't pay enough. Any suggestions? I have had supervisors says that social work is a tough job, alot of paperwork and not enough money to live on. I was drawn to social work to help assist people, but the paperwork part is the most time consuming part and the regulations just keep on increasing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

73 months ago

As far as getting a job with a BSW I see that it is very difficult for people...what about a MSW? Would a masters be better? Or is it just impossible in Michigan right now?

Huntman in Ca.

71 months ago

Do not fret as it is not only in your state but out here in the west also. My wife has her BSW and dose get a lot of interviews but no job offers. She has been applying both in state and out of state. More interviews out of state and it is almost a 10 aps 8 interviews return so far. This has been for months now and still nothing. I believe it is multi fold as in the economy, also the news in many areas of CPS failings with children who have died and so one. I also know that many agencies are getting the same if not more work done with fewer people. Here almost every one has hiring freezes on or no money in the budgets to hirer any one new. So now unless some one leaves there job there is no opening it seams like and how many are going to give up a job now days! By the way my wife is not a young collage grad she raised her kids first then went back to school so she has a degree age maturity and also life lessons under her belt. We have used up almost all our funds so now even relocation for a job is about all but out of the picture for us. So yes it looks dark but no matter what hope is your light and you can not give up on it. I feel you have to take what you can now days and also be willing to move were the job is and not be so I am staying here as one could do say two or so years ago. Just my thoughts and like I said were in that same boat out here on the west coast.

Tracey in Centerline in Warren, Michigan

42 months ago

Help!! I'm about to be a newly graduated BSW and for financial reasons i find myself putting off graduate school. Does anyone know of any job offerings for a BSW in the southeast Mi area? Any ideas to point me in any direction? I'm a 42 year old with no more experience than my fieldwork placements. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

42 months ago

Help!! I'm about to be a newly graduated BSW, and for financial reasons I find myself putting off graduate school. Does anyone know of any job offerings for a BSW in the southeast Mi area? Any ideas to point me in any direction? I'm a 42 year old with no more experience than my fieldwork placements. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

42 months ago

Help!! I'm about to be a newly graduated BSW, and for financial reasons I find myself putting off graduate school. Does anyone know of any job offerings for a BSW in the southeast Mi area? Any ideas to point me in any direction? I'm a 42 year old with no more experience than my fieldwork placements. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

42 months ago

Sorry for the multiple posts. My computer kept locking up on me.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.