Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming special education teacher interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Longview, Washington

76 months ago

Any tips on interviewing for a special eduation position after teaching special education for 30 years. I am sure questions have changed in 30 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (190) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Kelso, Washington

75 months ago

I have been teaching special education for 30 years and just interviewed for a new district. Some of the questions were:
Lots about reading
How would you incorporate technology in your classroom?
What would we see happening on the first couple days of school in your classroom?
If they ask what your classroom would look like you should answer:
You would see students smiling,sharing, happily and actively engaged individually, with partners, small groups or whole class. You will see both auditory and visually modeling going on, and some open ended questions so you get students learning to share verbally and getting thoughts out without having to write them down at the same time. You will see me at the door greeting each student as they enter the classroom so as to make them individually feel important, cared for and want to come back to the classroom each day. This will insure students happy as they enter and happy as they leave the classroom each day.
Another question is they will ask how you will interact with gen.ed teachers so as to ease them about having special education students in their classrooms.
I told them that I usually walk around in the morning and step in the rooms of teachers who have my students and ask how they are doing, ask to see some work, and I step in the room on my prep period for 5 minutes to see them interacting in the classroom. I always tell the gen.ed. teachers that I am a resource to them and they should feel comfortable coming to me, if they need activities to do with special ed. students during times in their room when the work the others are doing isn't appropriate for them. I made a file cabinet with reading, writing, math worksheet activities that they can just walk in and get at spur of the moments. The principal came in frequently to get activities for kids who came to the office for discipline, not necessary special education students. I just would ask teachers who used my files to help donate a ream of their paper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (124) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Kelso, Washington

75 months ago

A interview question is what you do if a student is being totally uncompliant/disruptive to the class?
If I can't talk to student quietly in class, and I have assistants, I ask student to come with me for a "Walk and Talk around school. If I am stopped and talking to a student I sit down and have student stand and look down at me as it is less threatening, or we both sit down. I tell student I deal with situations between them with them first before having to contact parents or the principal. If it works and the student comes back to class and is ok, I tell them that they got a "freebie" and we are going to keep it to ourselves, but if it happens again then parents or principal will have to be told about the past incident as well as the current incident. I have them phone their parents with me on a speaker phone. I make them responsible with telling the parent what their behavior is. I tell parents they got a freebie first time, but I have the student bring it to their attention to own the problem now so that the parent will be able to support the teacher and student to continue to show appropriate behavior. I do not send my students out in the hall. They can't learn if they aren't in classroom. I seperate them from group. First time they rejoin the group when they feel they are ready. Second time,I get to choose when they can rejoin the group. Third time, they are seperated from class still in the room for remainder of period and make third attempt time up at lunch recess. If student won't calm down, is threat to self/others I have assistants take all other students out of room and I deal with student or call for help.This time is also made up.
They ask how I get students ready for the WASL? I have gen.ed teachers give me same assessments they use and we do it in the special education room orally/together.
They'll ask how you use gen.ed curriculum in resource room and how you help teachers modify gen.ed curriculum.
Highlighting, read text on tape, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (115) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John Petrucci in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

i have something that maybe it will help you.

i found this article while i was searching about special education, so i thought i must share this article with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (212) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.