History teacher looking to switch to special ed...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Kelly in Haverhill, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I am currently a History teacher with two years of experience. I am certified in grade 5-12 and think i would like to obtain a license in special ed... how do I do that in MA?? do i take the severe or mild disability mtels?? im not sure because there is no "special ed" test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

You need to go to your state's dept. of education website. Look under Certification Subjects. You will probably want ESE (exceptional student eduction). See what courses are required or what test.

Julie in Marshfield, Massachusetts

44 months ago

I'm a Special Needs teacher in Mass and I just went through the process 3 years ago. Since you already have a History license, you must have already taken the Communication and Literacy test (which is one of the tests), you will also need to take the General Curriculum Test and assuming you want to keep your license 5-12, you also have to take a "subject matter test", which in your case, you have already done (i.e., History). If you wanted to get the Pre-K - 8 license, you would need to take the Foundations of Reading Test. Since there is no preliminary license in Special Needs, you would also need to obtain a Masters Degree in Special Education (assuming you do not have an undergraduate degree in Special Needs). I would just like to also tell you that in my experience, Special Education teachers are treated very differently than "regular ed" teachers. If you have a thick skin, it is a very rewarding career and I wouldn't choose to work with any other population. However, it is something you need to consider - you may not get the respect you get in your current position.

Angel in Attleboro, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Julie in Marshfield, Massachusetts said: I'm a Special Needs teacher in Mass and I just went through the process 3 years ago. Since you already have a History license, you must have already taken the Communication and Literacy test (which is one of the tests), you will also need to take the General Curriculum Test and assuming you want to keep your license 5-12, you also have to take a "subject matter test", which in your case, you have already done (i.e., History). If you wanted to get the Pre-K - 8 license, you would need to take the Foundations of Reading Test. Since there is no preliminary license in Special Needs, you would also need to obtain a Masters Degree in Special Education (assuming you do not have an undergraduate degree in Special Needs). I would just like to also tell you that in my experience, Special Education teachers are treated very differently than "regular ed" teachers. If you have a thick skin, it is a very rewarding career and I wouldn't choose to work with any other population. However, it is something you need to consider - you may not get the respect you get in your current position.

Very True! And it's more work!

Angel in Attleboro, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Very True! And it's more work!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.