SLPA Positions in Houston, TX

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Karen_R in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

I currently moved back to Houston and am midway from completing my MS in Speech Language Pathology. I am currently enrolled in a MS program in FL that allows me to finish my clinicals and externships in my home city but I haven't had any luck in finding positions as an assistant SLP. Does anyone know of places I could look?

Thanks,
Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

67 months ago

Look on craigslist, I found a few companies offering jobs for SLPAs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

khammit in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

I would like to know if your program is the Nova University in FL. I am interested in knowing more about your program and how they are assisting you in Houston to meet your requirements.

Thanks

Karen_R in Houston, Texas said: I currently moved back to Houston and am midway from completing my MS in Speech Language Pathology. I am currently enrolled in a MS program in FL that allows me to finish my clinicals and externships in my home city but I haven't had any luck in finding positions as an assistant SLP. Does anyone know of places I could look?

Thanks,
Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Yes, it is Nova SE. They are great!!! Each student does research on what places of interest. We then provide a list and it’s reviewed. The program then sees if they have established contracts, when past students completed clinicals/externships, if not then they will develop one. The students have nothing to do with that part. Where we're assigned is dependent upon availability, population (adults/peds) or clinicals. We are assigned a clinical site supervisor that comes out on scheduled visits, reviews our portfolio, and speaks to the on-site supervisor and us.

The program is VERY thorough. I am bias but it is a great program!!! We just were underwent review with ASHA and were reaccredited for 8 years…so that speaks volumes. If you’re interested in further detailed information, I highly recommend you contact the university. The staff is extremely helpful! Here’s the main website, in case you want to peek www.nova.edu .

Hope this helped :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zemmy in Jupiter, Florida

62 months ago

Karen_R in Houston, Texas said: Yes, it is Nova SE. They are great!!! Each student does research on what places of interest. We then provide a list and it’s reviewed. The program then sees if they have established contracts, when past students completed clinicals/externships, if not then they will develop one. The students have nothing to do with that part. Where we're assigned is dependent upon availability, population (adults/peds) or clinicals. We are assigned a clinical site supervisor that comes out on scheduled visits, reviews our portfolio, and speaks to the on-site supervisor and us.

The program is VERY thorough. I am bias but it is a great program!!! We just were underwent review with ASHA and were reaccredited for 8 years…so that speaks volumes. If you’re interested in further detailed information, I highly recommend you contact the university. The staff is extremely helpful! Here’s the main website, in case you want to peek www.nova.edu .

Hope this helped :)

Hi there! Nova SE online is my first choice and I'm just getting ready to apply. How long after you applied did you hear something? How many semesters did you have to wait to get in? Do you have to live out of state? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, I was just thrilled to see this post on here! I'm hoping to get in ASAP. Any tips for getting in?

Thank you so much in advance!

62 months ago

Well, when I applied there wasn't a waiting list. Now there is...so I'm not sure how long it will take you to get in. I got in in 2 semesters after applying and completing my interview. It really doesn't matter where you live. If you are in FL. they sometimes have satellites that you can view classes in real time, if you are close enough to attend (i.e., Tampa, Jacksonville, Kendell-I think that's it but not sure). If you can't you will be completing your course work on-line. Like I said they are very flexible. Sometimes if they have a lot of students in an area they create cohorts of students and it becomes a temporary satellite site.

The only suggestions I could tell you is to think about what you can bring to the program. Kinda think of it as an interview for a job...show them how you can be an asset to the program and what/how you can benefit your community with your service as an SLP. Basically, the questions are different for everyone, like I said - think in employment interview mode and it doesn't matter if you don't any experience/undergrad in speech as long as you can show the program you can be a good match to the program.

My pleasure...if you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask. I really hope you get accepted, it is a great program! Best of luck and let me know if you got in. =)

acast555 in Brownsville, Texas

39 months ago

Karen_R in Houston, Texas said: Well, when I applied there wasn't a waiting list. Now there is...so I'm not sure how long it will take you to get in. I got in in 2 semesters after applying and completing my interview. It really doesn't matter where you live. If you are in FL. they sometimes have satellites that you can view classes in real time, if you are close enough to attend (i.e., Tampa, Jacksonville, Kendell-I think that's it but not sure). If you can't you will be completing your course work on-line. Like I said they are very flexible. Sometimes if they have a lot of students in an area they create cohorts of students and it becomes a temporary satellite site.

The only suggestions I could tell you is to think about what you can bring to the program. Kinda think of it as an interview for a job...show them how you can be an asset to the program and what/how you can benefit your community with your service as an SLP. Basically, the questions are different for everyone, like I said - think in employment interview mode and it doesn't matter if you don't any experience/undergrad in speech as long as you can show the program you can be a good match to the program.

My pleasure...if you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask. I really hope you get accepted, it is a great program! Best of luck and let me know if you got in. =)

Karen, I have a question. I was accepted earlier this year to NOVA for the online SLP program. the one thing I have a concern about is cost of the program. It says online that the program costs $800+ per credit hour for the courses. I calculated and came to a number of $50-$60K for this program. Is this correct? Please advise on what your experiences have been to provide for cost.

Thanks

cgmulkey55@yahoo.com in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

I graduated in December from UNT with a BA in communication disorders and I am currently looking for a SLPA job in pediatrics. I have interviewed with several agencies, but they all want people with experience. Can anyone give me some directions to companies or agencies that are willing to work with me in an entry level position?

shmwilso in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

cgmulkey55@yahoo.com in Houston, Texas said: I graduated in December from UNT with a BA in communication disorders and I am currently looking for a SLPA job in pediatrics. I have interviewed with several agencies, but they all want people with experience. Can anyone give me some directions to companies or agencies that are willing to work with me in an entry level position?

I also graduated in December and have found two slpa positions with independant Slp. Also, try ECI programs and private therapy agencies.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.