Bilingual Speech Pathology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

katie_h17 in Ohio

62 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm a Spanish major and a psychology minor, and I'm currently taking leveling courses online to go to graduate school for speech language pathology.

I would really be interesting in bilingual SLP, since I have a background in Spanish (I'm a non-native speaker). I might want to move to the South upon graduating so that I can work with a Hispanic population.

In order to do this, do I need to go to a graduate program that is specifically designed for bilingual SLPs? Or is it ok to just go through a 'regular' SLP graduate school program since I have a background in Spanish? There are no programs with a bilingual focus in my state, and out of state tuition is really expensive.

Also, we are required to take the Oral Proficiency Test and Writing Proficiency Test through ACTFL as foreign language majors. Is anyone familiar with what 'good scores' for these tests are? (In order to teach, you have to get Intermediate High). I tried to find a distribution online but couldn't. I could Advanced Mid on the Writing Test; is this good enough or should I re-take it? I don't know if these tests will be taken into account for bilingual speech pathology programs.

Thanks for the help!

- Was this comment helpful?
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

susiev63 in Wethersfield, Connecticut

59 months ago

you don't have to move south to use your bilingual skills. Move to a part of the country with a large Spanish-speaking population. You could work as a consultant and make a mint. East coast? New York City? Connecticut? Florida?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.