Private Practice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Nicquii in Columbia, South Carolina

65 months ago

Can you open your own private practice as a Licensed Sub Abuse Counselor or do you suggest I go back to school and get my PHD? Know anyone who has private practice and what are the limitations if not PHD Licensed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

blake in Columbia, Tennessee

65 months ago

Nicquii in Columbia, South Carolina said: Can you open your own private practice as a Licensed Sub Abuse Counselor or do you suggest I go back to school and get my PHD? Know anyone who has private practice and what are the limitations if not PHD Licensed?

yes you can. all you need is a vision, a plan, and Jesus Christ. thats what im doing myself. maybe get some buisness under your belt would help. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jan in Lampasas, Texas

64 months ago

Nicquii
Have u opened your office yet? I always that u had to have a masters degree. Please let me know how that works for you. I am curious.....I am currently a LCDC intern...eventually I want to open my own practice to!
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KLM in South Windsor, Connecticut

63 months ago

Nicquii in Columbia, South Carolina said: Can you open your own private practice as a Licensed Sub Abuse Counselor or do you suggest I go back to school and get my PHD? Know anyone who has private practice and what are the limitations if not PHD Licensed?

I just attended a training about this and as long as you have an LADC you are able to have your own business because you now able to bill insurance companies and diagnose individuals. I have had some advice stating that it is a better bet to work independently for an organization until you make a name for yourself &/or have the money and extra insurance, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

blake in Columbia, Tennessee said: yes you can. all you need is a vision, a plan, and Jesus Christ. thats what im doing myself. maybe get some buisness under your belt would help. Good Luck!

thanks Blake, I have my MBA and writing proposals and business plans are part of my experience. I'm not a LADC at the moment but i have a few months to go before I graduate in Jan 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

jan in Lampasas, Texas said: Nicquii
Have u opened your office yet? I always that u had to have a masters degree. Please let me know how that works for you. I am curious.....I am currently a LCDC intern...eventually I want to open my own practice to!
Thanks

No I am currently in school to get my Masters in Counseling with concentration in addiction counselor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

KLM in South Windsor, Connecticut said: I just attended a training about this and as long as you have an LADC you are able to have your own business because you now able to bill insurance companies and diagnose individuals. I have had some advice stating that it is a better bet to work independently for an organization until you make a name for yourself &/or have the money and extra insurance, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

KLM I thank you for your entry as this has been very helpful. I heard the test to get Licensed varies from state to state. I'm a little scared but classes have been so exciting for me that I'm praying I retain the informaition. Do you know about any practice exams that could possibly help me with the test.

ATE in Prospect, Connecticut

63 months ago

KLM in South Windsor, Connecticut said: I just attended a training about this and as long as you have an LADC you are able to have your own business because you now able to bill insurance companies and diagnose individuals. I have had some advice stating that it is a better bet to work independently for an organization until you make a name for yourself &/or have the money and extra insurance, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi, I too am from CT. I am a LADC and interested in starting a private practice. I have been working in the field for 10 years. Can you tell me where you attended your training on this topic so that I can get more information, also if you have any other suggested resources on the topic. Thanks
ATE

Dr. Snipes in Hawthorne, Florida

61 months ago

It depends on your state regulations. Generally, if you are licensed you can be in private practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gerard Kane in Waterbury, Connecticut

60 months ago

ATE in Prospect, Connecticut said: Hi, I too am from CT. I am a LADC and interested in starting a private practice. I have been working in the field for 10 years. Can you tell me where you attended your training on this topic so that I can get more information, also if you have any other suggested resources on the topic. Thanks
ATE

Gerry in Danbury, CT.
I have been in the Field of Addictions/Recovery since '92, and working in different treatment settings, in various states.
I am now embarking on beginning a Private Practice in CT., and am looking for some suggestions, guidance, resources on "How To" go about starting it. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thank you ------- Gerry with a "G"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gerard Kane in Waterbury, Connecticut

60 months ago

blake in Columbia, Tennessee said: yes you can. all you need is a vision, a plan, and Jesus Christ. thats what im doing myself. maybe get some buisness under your belt would help. Good Luck!

To Blake:
Do you know what "Steps" are necessary to begin? A "How To" approach? - Gerry

ASU in Alexandria, Virginia

50 months ago

I am looking for few good people to start an 'Outpatient Substance Abuse' private practice. I have many years of experience in starting business, government approval and raising funds. I am open for any city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gerard D. Kane (of Danbury, CT) in Ridgefield, Connecticut

50 months ago

Private Practice is in New Milford, CT. An LADC w/an MSW & a C-CATODSW is what I possess. The economy is at a SNAIL'S Pace and it is very dead out there.

As it has been said to me: "Don't stop 5 minutes before the Miracle happens. So, I have FAITH and a firm belief that ALL THINGS WILL WORK OUT IN THE END.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gerard D. Kane (of Danbury, CT) in Ridgefield, Connecticut

50 months ago

ASU in Alexandria, Virginia said: I am looking for few good people to start an 'Outpatient Substance Abuse' private practice. I have many years of experience in starting business, government approval and raising funds. I am open for any city.

I have experience in the Field of Addiction since '92 covering different states (NY, NV, PA, MD, & now CT). I have opened a Private Practice in New Milford, CT and would be 'Open' to getting together to see if it is feasible to 'join' our efforts together. Afterall, "TWO heads can be better THAN 1". --- Gerry

joycepetro in North Kingstown, Rhode Island

49 months ago

ATE in Prospect, Connecticut said: Hi, I too am from CT. I am a LADC and interested in starting a private practice. I have been working in the field for 10 years. Can you tell me where you attended your training on this topic so that I can get more information, also if you have any other suggested resources on the topic. Thanks
ATE

i have an LCDP.What is an LADC?Same thing>I've been in the field for 11 yrs and would like to start my own outpatient counseling practice.How do I get started?

GerryK. in New Milford, Connecticut

49 months ago

An LADC is a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor, that was reciprocated in Conecticut as I have a Masters' Degree education/Diploma and also had the New York State CASAC (Certified Alcohol & Substance Abuse Counselor.
I went to SCORE.com and they put me in touch with a person in private practice in the Fairfield/Litchfield Counties area (Brookfield, CT.). I met with her 1x and continued to e-mail her with questions to which she gave me answers to.
From there I flew-by-the-seat-of-my-pants and that could be a reason why the practice is not as fruitful as I had hoped for. But,I am plugging along . . . .GOD-Speed

GerryK. in New Milford, Connecticut

49 months ago

Where exactly is Prospect, CT anyway? Originally I am from Long Island, New York via Nevada, Pennsylvania, Maryland and now reside in CT.
I did not begin the Private Practice until I set down here in Danbury, CT.
My alcohol Tr4aining was @ Molloy College in Rockville Centre, Long Island, New York. From then I was able to pass the New York State Certified Alcohol Counselor (CAC) exam. Over the years the CAC eveloved into the CASAC, which brings me to holding the LADC Licensure.
I hope I answerred your question -- in a round-about way, I know. Sorry about that.

small town girl in Trinity, Texas

44 months ago

ASU in Alexandria, Virginia said: I am looking for few good people to start an 'Outpatient Substance Abuse' private practice. I have many years of experience in starting business, government approval and raising funds. I am open for any city.

I have been interested in opening my own practice. I have my LCDC license and am in recovery with 9 years 7 months clean time. Is it possible to open a business without being a LPC or working under one? I am in Crockett, texas which is a small town.I have been licensed for 1 year and 5 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Indianapolis, Indiana

31 months ago

I am looking to relocate to the Sarasota, FL area. I hold an Indiana license in both Social Work and Addiction Counseling. I am open to working with someone in a private setting, but also would be interested in work within an established agency. Any help would be appreciated.

chicagocolleen in Woodridge, Illinois

31 months ago

Addictions Counselors even with Masters degrees cannot work independently or be able to bill insurances. A certified addictions counselor only needs a high school diploma and some classes at your local Junior college to be able to sit for the certification. In order to be Licensed in the true sense your Masters degree program must be a minimum of 52 hours and CACREP approved. You then have to work under(supervised) someone LI. for approximately 2 years to be able for the exam. Its difficult and I know of at least 2 relatively intelligent persons that flunked it twice. My Masters is in Addictions(MHS) what fries me is that the LI (LCPCs) have very little training in addictions if you look at the classes they take and often do more harm than good to clients who have addictions because of their lack of training and ignorance. Consequently, don't waste your time on an addictions masters unless you do it for the pure pleasure of knowledge and plan on getting a second Masters in Counseling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

clyleicc@gmail.com in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

After the new law passes atleast in TN you will have to acquire a bachelors degree and apply for LADAC II, then you will be able to open private practice.

Syreeta in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

In Texas, you may open a private practice as long as you are licensed (LCDC). For state grant and contract opportunities you may want to eventually become a substance abuse treatment facility (requires more money and a lengthy application and inspection process but well worth it). Keeo in mind that although there are minimum education (degree) requirements, clients would be more inclined to work with a counselor that at least has a master's degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cody G in Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Nicquii in Columbia, South Carolina said: KLM I thank you for your entry as this has been very helpful. I heard the test to get Licensed varies from state to state. I'm a little scared but classes have been so exciting for me that I'm praying I retain the informaition. Do you know about any practice exams that could possibly help me with the test.

I am currently obtaining my LPC here in Pennsylvania. The licensure test is fairly easy. I earned my M.S.Ed. in School Counseling and I experienced enough classwork and intern experience to pass the exam. Do not concern yourself with studying extensively. It is one of those things that you either know or you don't know. If you are doing well in your classes and truly care about becoming licensed you will be fine on the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Ann Lee in Satellite Beach, Florida

13 months ago

Nicquii in Columbia, South Carolina said: thanks Blake, I have my MBA and writing proposals and business plans are part of my experience. I'm not a LADC at the moment but i have a few months to go before I graduate in Jan 2010.

Are you still writing business plans?

Theresa Ann Lee in Satellite Beach, Florida

10 months ago

Can you tell me what kind of training you attended?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

Syreeta in Houston, Texas said: In Texas, you may open a private practice as long as you are licensed (LCDC). For state grant and contract opportunities you may want to eventually become a substance abuse treatment facility (requires more money and a lengthy application and inspection process but well worth it). Keeo in mind that although there are minimum education (degree) requirements, clients would be more inclined to work with a counselor that at least has a master's degree.

Can you bill private insurance as an LCDC in Texas?

Chuck

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.