Study Guide for the Certification...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Luvkermit in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

77 months ago

I'm preparing for the exam and someone suggests me the "Appleton & Lange review surg tech exam". Does anyone have comment on this book or another study material that I can use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (257) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Memphis, Tennessee

76 months ago

I am taking my test soon, the end of June. I think its an good book but I am so nervous if you have any others suggestions or online test to perpare let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Brina in Savannah, Georgia

76 months ago

what study guide can I use for surgical tech classes I will start in Aug any suggestion, please e-mail me at davis939@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Memphis, Tennessee

76 months ago

Appleton and lange Study guide for st there are 1500 questions and answers and final exams in the book. I take my boards this friday, really nervous, hopefully i'll pass the first time, say your prayers!! good luck with it all, you will enjoy when it is all over w/actually doing stuff, It is a lot better if you can get a job for a private surgeon and do nothing but assist him!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Luvkermit in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

76 months ago

Laurie in Memphis, Tennessee said: Appleton and lange Study guide for st there are 1500 questions and answers and final exams in the book. I take my boards this friday, really nervous, hopefully i'll pass the first time, say your prayers!! good luck with it all, you will enjoy when it is all over w/actually doing stuff, It is a lot better if you can get a job for a private surgeon and do nothing but assist him!!

Please tell me what do you think about the exam next week and how's the book really help you or not. luvkermit@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Morgan in Spokane, Washington

73 months ago

I was wondering if you could let me know if you found the book helpful for the certification

Luvkermit in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: Please tell me what do you think about the exam next week and how's the book really help you or not. luvkermit@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

winnie in Vidalia, Georgia

64 months ago

Morgan in Spokane, Washington said: I am taking the cetification test in 2 weeks, I have ben studying from the certification exam review book, I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for me for other study materials

how was the test? did you pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

winnie in Vidalia, Georgia

64 months ago

Laurie in Memphis, Tennessee said: Appleton and lange Study guide for st there are 1500 questions and answers and final exams in the book. I take my boards this friday, really nervous, hopefully i'll pass the first time, say your prayers!! good luck with it all, you will enjoy when it is all over w/actually doing stuff, It is a lot better if you can get a job for a private surgeon and do nothing but assist him!!

was the test hard. i was wondering if you would sell your study guide. i have 2 more quarter of school left and hoping to take the test after.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nicole in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

has anyone taken the exam this year 2009, If so how was it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

getback 2wk in Chattanooga, Tennessee

63 months ago

Luvkermit in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: Please tell me what do you think about the exam next week and how's the book really help you or not. luvkermit@gmail.com

Well did u pass the certification for ST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reese B in Hinesville, Georgia

63 months ago

Hello all, I have been a CST for the past 16 years, have been a traveling tech since 2002 & have had to take the test more than once due to not getting all of my credits before time to renew my cert., I want to say that I use the Appleton/Lang Study Guide in conjunction with the AST guide. I do prefer the Appleton. My advice is to make copies of the sample tests & take them often. I usually take it once before studying to see where I may be lacking & where the bulk of my concentration should go, then I study for a couple of days & take it again. Also, remember, you have 4 hours to take the exam, so take a little time, if you are not sure of an answer, either skip or mark the question so you can come back to it, make sure you get plenty of rest the night before & have faith in yourself & the knowledge you have aquired. The study guides are very helpful, not just in helping to know the answers, but also in knowing the format of the test, what to expect & what areas you need the most work in. Wishing everyone great luck, this is an exciting career & you will learn so much more than how to pass an instrument. Strive to become the best in your field & you will always love your work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia

62 months ago

yes get that book. A surgery irst assistant told me about that book747

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

nicole in Atlanta, Georgia said: has anyone taken the exam this year 2009, If so how was it?

Yes I taken it and passed. Who are you taking your test with? I took my at high tech institute UNDER NCCT. Did your school give you the study guide?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

winnie in Vidalia, Georgia said: was the test hard. i was wondering if you would sell your study guide. i have 2 more quarter of school left and hoping to take the test after.

WHAT SCHOOL DO YOU ATTEND?

dandre1 in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia said: Yes I taken it and passed. Who are you taking your test with? I took my at high tech institute UNDER NCCT. Did your school give you the study guide?

what book did you study to pass? Whats the name of it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

dandre1 in Houston, Texas said: what book did you study to pass? Whats the name of it?

Hi mzvonshay,

I used the Appleton & Lange Review for the Surgical Technology Examination & The AST book, however the Appleton & Lange provided me with the best preparation & I think had the better explanations, so if you can only get one, that would be where I would put my money. It also helps to use association or think aboutthe case from start to finish and that helps greatly in learning instrumentation. Another thing I did in preparation was to write a report on my cases each day. Tht helped me remeber my instruments, the names, when, how & why they are used and also any meds that a tech would have on their back table. I hope this helps. On exam da, take the book with ou to skim over right before going in. I wish you much good luck. I am sure you will do great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

where did you get it from cause its not no where around here.

62 months ago

dandre1 in Houston, Texas said: where did you get it from cause its not no where around here.

I lived in Virginia at the time & got mine from Barnes & Noble bookstore, but you can find it on Amazon, just search by it's name. I have ordered many items from Amazon & am very satisfied with the speed at which I received my items & also the condition of said items. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. I am sure we can find a way to get one to you.

nicole in Jonesboro, Georgia

61 months ago

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia said: Yes I taken it and passed. Who are you taking your test with? I took my at high tech institute UNDER NCCT. Did your school give you the study guide?

yes, i went to school in fl, but i am just now studying to take the exam in september and wanted to know if it was difficult?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

dandre1 in Houston, Texas said: where did you get it from cause its not no where around here.

i just purchased the appleton and lange study guide and it has been great so far, im going to take the exam this year. But i do recommend it for anyone who is seeking to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

nicole in Jonesboro, Georgia said: yes, i went to school in fl, but i am just now studying to take the exam in september and wanted to know if it was difficult?

oh i am taking it with national testing center, if there a big difference of test level?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

yes, it was hard in a way. it uses critical thinking on a quite a few questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

marianne in San Diego, California

61 months ago

I'm a soon to be graduate in October & will be taking the certification test in California.. is the Appleton & Lange Review for the Surgical Technology Examination still a good book for me to study off of??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with Appleton Lange. I have used it to study for each exam I have taken & it took me through with flying colors. I will always highly recommend making copies of the practice tests & take them over & over a few times to gauge how far you are coming along in your studies. Good luck to all taking their exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marianne in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Thank you I really hope this book helps me the way it helped you pass your examination! :) I appreciate it!

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with Appleton Lange. I have used it to study for each exam I have taken & it took me through with flying colors. I will always highly recommend making copies of the practice tests & take them over & over a few times to gauge how far you are coming along in your studies. Good luck to all taking their exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Nashville, Tennessee

60 months ago

I take my test tomorrow, have studied everything I can think of. Nervous because of the high fail rate on the first attempt. Cross your surg tech digits lol

Ann in Clarksville, Tennessee

59 months ago

You mentioned the high fail rate, what is that about? Do you know of anybody that has taken it more than once?..Does anyone know of classmates/friends who have taken the test multiple times?

59 months ago

Ann in Clarksville, Tennessee said: You mentioned the high fail rate, what is that about? Do you know of anybody that has taken it more than once?..Does anyone know of classmates/friends who have taken the test multiple times?

Yes, I know several people who had to take the test more than once to pass. There are a number of techs that have been grandfathered in the hospitals where they work at but are limited to just that hospital. One tech in particular is a very highly requested ortho tech with the surgeons and could not get a job in another hospital if he did not take the exam again and pass. A number of techs are without jobs because they have failed the nbstsa exam. Its just under 300.00 to take again and you have to wait 6 weeks.
On the flip side, when taken for the secound time at least 5 tech said the test was diff, and much easier? So who knows. A board member said that the test is currently being reformatted due to an alarming failing percentage.
Another tech who has been scrubbing for a few years scored a 118 on their test the 2nd go around. Study guides from the ast and appleton and lang are great review materials but only a handful of questions stand out on the test and they are basic procedures and sterile technique questions. The methods and temps for sterilization in central sterile and endo are useful in the guides.
I like the AST and the field. I dont like the fact that the test is as difficult as some of the nursing but scrub techs (even certified) through the nbstsa have to struggle to find a job and a nice pay.

Afraid of Failing in Lake City, South Carolina

59 months ago

I have taken the ST Exam twice both times failing by 1 point. I am afraid to take it a third time for fear this is the last time I can take the test and I love being an ST and I enjoy it so much that I want to continue my education and become a First Asst. When I started the course and I realize that I didnt have to stop at just being an ST I got even more excited but if anyone has any help on what I should do please give positive and great advice. I have purchase so many books to prepare myself for this test and yet its been by 1 point each time.

59 months ago

There is a revised study guide that will be on the shelves in December. I remember last year some people from the nbstsa and jcaho had brought the instructors and students into a room and warned us all about the exam as if they were proud of the fail rate. Yes a fail rate, because 55% is not a passing rate. And spoke of how the test was made up from nurses studies and how it should have been from someone more adapted to a scrub role. The material from all the books in school and the appleton and lang and the study guide from the ast are great guides to get your mind back to test taking. But as you probably know from taking the test a couple times. The answers to choose from are in sentence form with multiple possible correct choices but we are to choose "the best answer"
My test did not contain many questions thats specifically a surg techs job. I needed to know my Pharmacology and anesthesia measurments as well as specialty instruments and their methods of sterilization in central sterile as well as plastics, ophthalmology and neurology.
I missed it by just a few points as well but I did study in great detail. I have 2 other students that I was in school with that have passed the test. One guy did not study much at all, just took the test since the school paid for it in the tuition and passed. said his test was basic set up hardly any pharm and loads of ophthalmology. He spent the majority of his externship in L&D and was hired before he graduated and was doing his rotation in "eyes" when he took the test. The other guy said he was lucky? lol- so who knows. He also worked in L&D.
You can pass it and probably will. I would like to know when the test is going to be reformatted so I can take it again. They specifically said that day in our class that there were no such study guide avail as there have been in the past. Yes, the test used to be ALOT easier. That everyone in 2009 was in an unfortunate situation as we were guinea pigs for the new test in the works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reese in Richmond Hill, Georgia

59 months ago

Afraid of Failing in Lake City, South Carolina said: I have taken the ST Exam twice both times failing by 1 point. I am afraid to take it a third time for fear this is the last time I can take the test and I love being an ST and I enjoy it so much that I want to continue my education and become a First Asst. When I started the course and I realize that I didnt have to stop at just being an ST I got even more excited but if anyone has any help on what I should do please give positive and great advice. I have purchase so many books to prepare myself for this test and yet its been by 1 point each time.

Do you have any idea which category you are struggling with? Also, do your best to conquer this fear of failing, as just that alone, the fear & self-doubt could really cause you to sabotage yourself, making your ability to choose how to pick your answers very low & hard because you won't be confident in your answers. Seriously, make copies of the practice tests & take the tests as part of your studying. If you'd like, we can do a study online together, or see if anyone on this forum would like to do an hour or so each day or night or every other night, that way you can really learn from each other's weaknesses & strengths. I did this on my last testing & found that when I came to one of my weaknesses, I could really lean on that personal study group.

I wish you and all others the best of luck, plus, again if you need study partners, ask around the forum to see if anyone else is interested in forming a study group, do this & before you know what has happened, you'll find yourself leading groups, becoming the teacher & not remaining a student

My email is lovesfreedomtoo@yahoo.com , feel free to write & ask any question that you need help in finding the answers. Try not to overload your brain because I found that doing so left me confused

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I think thats what I did.... studied really all through the summer and then reviewed the practice tests and such a couple weeks before to the point where it was all just a cluster of information.

I feel you in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

The AST has study guide for the surgical tech exam that you can purchase on their website.

davis939 in Jesup, Georgia

59 months ago

mzvonshay in Lilburn, Georgia said: yes get that book. A surgery irst assistant told me about that book747

do you all think the Applenton and lange is the best study guide

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

davis939 in Jesup, Georgia

59 months ago

WHAT KIND OF QUESTION SHOULD I BE APPLYING MY SELF TO FOR THE SURGICAL TECH EXAM I MEAN WHAT SHOULD I CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST

can in Whittier, California

57 months ago

I am scheduled to take the test on wednesday, but will try to reschedule for the week of my deadline which is next week. I procrastinated quite a bit and am now burning the midnight oil. I did well in school MONTHS ago, but had paid for the test as soon as I finished school, and regreted doing so after working in the field for two months. Unfortunately, the money is non-refundable, so now I HAVE to take the exam, and DO NOT want to fail. Does anybody know what the exam covers? I've heard a lot of pharmacology...which will suck if it's true. I've heard anatomy, not much medical terminology, sterilization, I don't know. Any suggestions?

can in Tifton, Georgia

57 months ago

can in Whittier, California said: I am scheduled to take the test on wednesday, but will try to reschedule for the week of my deadline which is next week. I procrastinated quite a bit and am now burning the midnight oil. I did well in school MONTHS ago, but had paid for the test as soon as I finished school, and regreted doing so after working in the field for two months. Unfortunately, the money is non-refundable, so now I HAVE to take the exam, and DO NOT want to fail. Does anybody know what the exam covers? I've heard a lot of pharmacology...which will suck if it's true. I've heard anatomy, not much medical terminology, sterilization, I don't know. Any suggestions?

I took the test about a year ago and sorry to say but i had quiet a bit of pharmacology on my test......Just know the basics. Good luck.

can in Whittier in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Is the pharm like knowing the formulas to convert say..Farenheit into Celsius, or the metric system? Or is it more on meds and what they're for? You know, like the most widely used...Lido, etc.?

57 months ago

can in Whittier in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks, I appreciate the info. Is the pharm like knowing the formulas to convert say..Farenheit into Celsius, or the metric system? Or is it more on meds and what they're for? You know, like the most widely used...Lido, etc.?

Know the units of measurement "weight and volume" how it relates to cc's. Yes, know your most widely used meds and the generic names.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

can in Whittier in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Thank you so much! You're a life saver!!! I'll let you know how it goes. I just rescheduled my appt. for next week. I will go over pharm. Thanks again-I will hopefully be letting you know I passed :)

amanda in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Luvkermit in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: I'm preparing for the exam and someone suggests me the "Appleton & Lange review surg tech exam". Does anyone have comment on this book or another study material that I can use.

im currently studying surgical technology and recently found out and was enrageed that the appleton and land book is for the ncct surgical tech certification it is a much easier test but if you are preparing to take the AST certification then you definantly need to find another book....appleton and lang is a first grade study guide and the AST is a college test..so find another book if its the AST exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kat in San Diego, California

57 months ago

I have used the Appleton & Lange study guide and found that its about 50/50 that it may be there and it might not. What I did find is that the Appleton & Lange helps you think better as far as which answers are the best because not only does it have the answer, it also has explanations. The books that were given to us to study for the CST exam were not helpful at all but..that's just me.

can in Laguna Beach, California

57 months ago

Thanks- I appreciate the honesty. It's a big help. Did you take the the test in '09? I know I've heard of quite a bit of people failing in '09 and they all say it was because of a new format.
What did you think about it?

KAT in San Diego, California

57 months ago

I did take the '09 test in November. I'm not really sure of the format because its my 1st time taking it...Good Luck!! If you have the appleton and lange book..like i said it helps you think which answer is the best answer. So in a way it does help even if the questions arent word for word anymore like before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

can in Camp Pendleton, California

57 months ago

Thanks! That helps...I have to use my brain with all the critical thinking involved. I'll prepare the best that I can. I appreciate the advice on the book, I do have the book, so I will continue to study from it.

jillywilt in Wetumpka, Alabama

56 months ago

All of these entries were helpful. I have been a surgical tech for 16 years and I love my job! I got my training in the Army right out of high school. I fell into this field and it's the best thing that could ever have happened to me. I am right where I belong. Now I just need to take the certification exam. Don't know why I've waited so long other than I am a huge procrastinator. But I am definitely ready. I am going to get the appleton and lange study guide and I will do what all of you have said helps the most: I will make multiple copies of the sample exams and I will take them often. I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm sure Pharmacology and units of measure will be something i study a lot. thanks for all your input.

can in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

jillywilt in Wetumpka, Alabama said: All of these entries were helpful. I have been a surgical tech for 16 years and I love my job! I got my training in the Army right out of high school. I fell into this field and it's the best thing that could ever have happened to me. I am right where I belong. Now I just need to take the certification exam. Don't know why I've waited so long other than I am a huge procrastinator. But I am definitely ready. I am going to get the appleton and lange study guide and I will do what all of you have said helps the most: I will make multiple copies of the sample exams and I will take them often. I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm sure Pharmacology and units of measure will be something i study a lot. thanks for all your input.

Sounds great! By the way, I also started my interest in Surgery Tech. in the military-that's funny. It's great to see that you have enjoyed it for so long. I signed up 11 years ago right after high school too. I did want to let everybody know that I did pass, and I feel it was thanks to the advice posted here. Good Luck to everyone!

Will in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

Reese B in Hinesville, Georgia said: Hi mzvonshay,

I used the Appleton & Lange Review for the Surgical Technology Examination & The AST book, however the Appleton & Lange provided me with the best preparation & I think had the better explanations, so if you can only get one, that would be where I would put my money. It also helps to use association or think aboutthe case from start to finish and that helps greatly in learning instrumentation. Another thing I did in preparation was to write a report on my cases each day. Tht helped me remeber my instruments, the names, when, how & why they are used and also any meds that a tech would have on their back table. I hope this helps. On exam da, take the book with ou to skim over right before going in. I wish you much good luck. I am sure you will do great.[/QUOTE. Hi, which exam did you take??

Hi

Ann in Grand Prairie, Texas

50 months ago

Hello all,
I have signed up for the Surgical Tech program starting in November, I am really scared to death. I have never had an interest in this field until recently. My greatest fear is not being able to handle some of the procedures being done in the operating room.
I am pretty much an average student and do not know how well I will do in this program but just by reading the comments I do feel that I have a good start on what to expect for the testing.

can in Riverside, California

50 months ago

Wow, well..I'm going to tell you my honest opinion and what I wish I would have had someone tell me. I grew up watching M*A*S*H and have always been interested in the medical/surgery field. I went into this program with all my heart and mind set, did superb in school and was hired at the same hospital that I completed my externship at, then became certified less than a year after finishing school.
I wouldn't recommend spending so much money on something that you're not 100% sure about...I don't know how much you are paying for this program, but I do realize now; I paid too much. You are at the bottom of the food chain in the OR as a scrub tech. Bad hours, stress, slave labor, and bad pay...as far as starting pay goes.
This coming from someone who was all in. I've heard from several nurses at the hospital that their nursing programs were less and they have the flexibility to work anywhere they want. Of course, had anyone told me this, I probably still would have done what I wanted, seeing as my mind was already made up. I do realize that I paid for the convenience of my school (being a working mom with a family to support).
Being a scrub tech is probably a great job for someone without family who depends on them for meal preparations, house maintenance, and everything else..and for someone who is young and has the years available to work their way up over a good amount of years, but I just don't have that time and physical ability. Certain surgeries can take a toll on your body. You end up exhausted and too tired at the end of the day to lift a finger when you arrive at home, much less cook, clean, and play with your kids.
I don't mean to be a downer, I obviously haven't been in the field that long, but this was just my observation within the past two years. I think the job is a great one if you are 18, 19, or anywhere in your early 20's-and without kids who will miss you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.