First Assistant in Surgery

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

abi in Saint Francisville, Illinois

76 months ago

Do you have to have experience to become a first assistant, or can you just have further schooling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

donnabres in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

abi in Saint Francisville, Illinois said: Do you have to have experience to become a first assistant, or can you just have further schooling?

you need experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dee long in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

JUST GRADUATING FROM SURGICAL TECH SCHOOL,WHAT DO i NEED TO DO TO BECOME A FIRST ASSIST?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dee long in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

WHERE DO i GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A C.F.A.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mandylynn in Levittown, New York

72 months ago

dee long in Sacramento, California said: WHERE DO i GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A C.F.A.?

california and new york have restrictions that every other state do not have.

new york and cali, there is no such thing as CFA.. its a surgical PA which mean 6 years of college (2 years if you already have your 4 yr degree) if you would like to move you have to work as a tech for a couple of years and then apply to a school in another state to become a CFA or CSA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JCM in Port Chester, New York

67 months ago

do you have to be PA-C? to become a first assist in New York?

scrub420years in Marysville, California

59 months ago

If you're a surgical technician in the state of California, you can be a surgical assistant for Kaiser hospitals. I believe all you need is experience but you don't have to get further training, just lots of scrubbing experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dee kee in Folsom, California

59 months ago

I have trued to get on at Kaiser for a year,I am not giving up.Please.I want to be a first assistant,have already done two yrs. of surgical tech school.When can I meet with you?
Dee Kee

scrub420years in Olivehurst, California

57 months ago

Dee Kee,

It's hard to sign on with Kaiser unless you know someone who works there. Best bet is to keep trying and apply for the kaiser positions that are "on-call" or "per diem". You might not get benefits or full time work but at least you'll get your foot in the door, so when there is an opening, especially an internal opening, you might be able to get the job because they hire according to senority and internal transfers rather than outsiders first.

Good luck, keep me posted!

calist5yrs in Terrell, Texas

54 months ago

what do u mean apply in another state i have been a scrub tech for 5 yrs i thought u applied if ur a ast member with like 300 something cases

PHXsun in Camillus, New York

47 months ago

I moved to New york about 2 years ago and found out when I got here that there are no first assist. my husband and I are thinking of moving again but I didn't want that to happen again, so I was wondering if anyone knew if washington DC or Maryland had first asstist?

Butterfly26 in Worcester, Massachusetts

39 months ago

Im going to school for Surgical tech. But I want to do First Assist.. How do you become a First Assist. And do they do it in MA

allgoodfa@aol.com in Fort Worth, Texas

39 months ago

abi in Saint Francisville, Illinois said: Do you have to have experience to become a first assistant, or can you just have further schooling?

Please look at my web site:
FredTheAssistant.com
also, please send me email addresses of other techs I might contact..Thank you

39 months ago

dee long in Sacramento, California said: JUST GRADUATING FROM SURGICAL TECH SCHOOL,WHAT DO i NEED TO DO TO BECOME A FIRST ASSIST?

FredTheAssistant.com

39 months ago

Mandylynn in Levittown, New York said: california and new york have restrictions that every other state do not have.

new york and cali, there is no such thing as CFA.. its a surgical PA which mean 6 years of college (2 years if you already have your 4 yr degree) if you would like to move you have to work as a tech for a couple of years and then apply to a school in another state to become a CFA or CSA

FredTheAssistant.com

39 months ago

JCM in Port Chester, New York said: do you have to be PA-C? to become a first assist in New York?

FredTheAssistant.com

39 months ago

scrub420years in Marysville, California said: If you're a surgical technician in the state of California, you can be a surgical assistant for Kaiser hospitals. I believe all you need is experience but you don't have to get further training, just lots of scrubbing experience.

FredTheAssistant.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.