Avionics Technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

quarkcsj in San Antonio, Texas

70 months ago

I just retired from the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician and am looking to get into a job with the airlines at Honolulu. I do not have an A&P or other liscense. What is the best way to get in, and how long would it take me to the proper liscences with my military background. I'm looking for an easy way to get my foot in the door at an airline in Honolulu.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

timnoni in Peabody, Massachusetts

70 months ago

quarkcsj in San Antonio, Texas said: I just retired from the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician and am looking to get into a job with the airlines at Honolulu. I do not have an A&P or other liscense. What is the best way to get in, and how long would it take me to the proper liscences with my military background. I'm looking for an easy way to get my foot in the door at an airline in Honolulu.

I am in the situation, and just got started in a home, internate business. check out my website.
www.StemCell4All.com
Timothy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Hayward, California

69 months ago

I was also an avionics Tech, Navy, com/nav and radar several decades ago. After the Navy I considered working for United Airlines but first I needed an FCC license. That rubed me the wrong way. As I saw it I was more than qualified to defend my nation in time of war in any Navy electronics shop but not considered qualified to work on mere airliners without some stinkin license. Poo on that. I got a job with GTE.
I expect that is no help to you but thanks for the oportunity to vent. ;>

Don

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Red Bluff, California

62 months ago

i'm researching this occupation for a school report, and i'm looking for how long it would take on average to get "on the job" as an avionics technician

62 months ago

Jennifer in Red Bluff, California said: i'm researching this occupation for a school report, and i'm looking for how long it would take on average to get "on the job" as an avionics technician

Me again.
Way back when (1963) I started Navy Avionics "A" School in June and was on the job at a squadron (VAW-11) avionics by February of 1964.

Rey in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

old job Honeywell Technician IV/Lead for 35.5 years
have an AAS from Glendale Ariz. I'm from Esparto, near Woodland Calf. I did the Hireing for tech's in the Flight managerment group,
Airbus & Boeing, last 10 years most of the tech were ex military,
Don comments are correct I have Certifications FCC & FAA, I'm 55 years old and retired, in july these Jobs went over sea's I trained my replacements my pay last year 70K my replacement 12k.
U.S. plus 45% taxes in there country so these jobs are gone
Do not dead end your self go to a Community collage that will transfer to a University, or other study.(my kids 1 a Banker, 2 with grads from ASU. one a Manager at Macy's
tech school will not Transfer check with a collage, Electronics is a new ball game every 2 to 4 years, last 2 years I hired guy's with 4 year degree's to many tech not enought Jobs
to All
Rey

Rey in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

I have four KIds, new Electronics Technician jobs start around 30k in Ariz. and the people running the show are BEAN counters
MBA. let's face it it's about Money

mkraft41001 in Lawrence, Kansas

47 months ago

Hello Everyone,
I'll be headed off to A-school for AV training in 3 months, and I was wondering if it was possible to get a job in avionics w/ the airlines or some other sector of the industry. I'm in school studying electrical engineering, but need to take some time to make $ so that I can finish my degree. Also, will AV training in A-school point me in a good direction in Electrical Engineering? In other words, with these 2 educational assets, what career am I preparing myself for? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. Michael

47 months ago

See my earlier posts in this string.

Electronics is not what it used to be, at least not here in the "silicon valley". After the Navy I went to a JC here that had a booming electronics program cranking out Electronics Technicians. The program has been discontinued. Two years ago I was making $31 an hour as a Senior Tech. After 19 months unemployed I am now making $18 an hour as a temp.
After your hitch in the Navy you might consider another 4 years if it gets you Electronics "B" school. It is equivalent to a BS. After either hitch you might consider going to work for the company making the equipment you will have been working on.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.