How to network with strangers for job leads?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

guystruggler in New York

30 months ago

I graudtated from college two years ago with a bachelors degree in finance. I never took internships during college. I only took part-time jobs during the summer. I am working as a teller right now and I like it for now, but I want to work at another bank that pays more. I know I have friends and family as my beginning source of networking.

But I want to know how to create new networks with strangers. I have been a shy type of person and mostly an introvert at this point. How to talk to the guy next to you and start a conversation about job search without asking for a job? How to create new professional relationships from a fresh beginning?

I applied to Chase and HSBC but never gotten call backs.

I have not always been the talkative type.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

guystruggler in New York

30 months ago

Hello, anyboyd willing to answer?

I really don't know where to begin networking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vita313 in Irvine, California

30 months ago

Have you tried joining networking groups in your area related to your profession. Try your city's Chamber of Commerce to see if they have events. Also, try the going on linkedin or meetup DOT com and search for young professional groups preferably relating to the field you want to progress in. They will list events where people go to network, talk about their profession or/and expand their circle of associates. The purpose of many of those groups is to exchange business cards and share profession information so it will not look odd if you are sitting there asking strangers questions about employment. Thats what everyone else there is doing as well. I am an introvert, and personally have not had much success networking professionally through meetup & networking groups, but as a transplant, I have made connections with many people who were able to help me in other valuable ways. I have also been able to learn a lot about different career paths and strategies by talking to others about their work related experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.