Getting a Training Instructor job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing Training Instructor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Alexandria, Virginia

70 months ago

Training people started unofficially when I was a councilor at a summer camp for children over 25yrs ago. It starts when you have knowledge of something and you share it. Don't make it out to be some huge endeavor. If you have something to share with people and you can communicate your content then you are on your way. You cross train someone at your job how did you do? How did it feel. What happens inside when you assist someone in learning a topic, skill, concept or application? If you enjoyed it then move to do this more formally. Seek training positions. People will let you know if your good or bad. If you get confirmation from several people that they genuinely enjoyed your session then your on to something. Find out what you like to teach, then find out whose the best in that field, learn from them and develop a plan to get started. There are many avenue's to get the knowledge you need to be great! Seek and you will find. Knock and it will be open to you. Go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Reyes R. Reyna in Killeen, Texas

69 months ago

Mark in Alexandria, Virginia said: Training people started unofficially when I was a councilor at a summer camp for children over 25yrs ago. It starts when you have knowledge of something and you share it. Don't make it out to be some huge endeavor. If you have something to share with people and you can communicate your content then you are on your way. You cross train someone at your job how did you do? How did it feel. What happens inside when you assist someone in learning a topic, skill, concept or application? If you enjoyed it then move to do this more formally. Seek training positions. People will let you know if your good or bad. If you get confirmation from several people that they genuinely enjoyed your session then your on to something. Find out what you like to teach, then find out whose the best in that field, learn from them and develop a plan to get started. There are many avenue's to get the knowledge you need to be great! Seek and you will find. Knock and it will be open to you. Go for it!

I can use this info. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Decatur, Alabama

64 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing Training Instructor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Depending on what subject you are to conduct instruction, you would either need certification in that area or a Bachelors or Masters degree in a specific field or education. Actual work experience and becoming an expert in a particular subject would also allow you the opportunity to teach provided your company admires and respects your knowledge and ability to convey the information on a level everyone can understand. Two courses that are of great value are Train the Trainer and Instructional design, these are a great place to start to learn how to develop course ware and learn how to present materials which involves speaking to an audience whether classroom or via video. An education is essential, the ability to communicate on all academic levels is crucial when you are conveying information to the general populous. There are many options in the training field to choose from such as: software, art, design, electrical, computer hardware, components and so on. Depending on the company you are hired by and the discipline you are providing instruction, the options for career advancing depends on what best interest you. You may chose to go toward management or branch outward into another field which utilized your skill set. There truly is no fence keeping you from advancing upward in whatever direction you desire. Most upward advancement depends on your performance as an employee, practical experience and skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

daisydavis in Montgomery, Alabama

51 months ago

I am looking for a job as a Training Instuctor, I provided care for special needs patients, trained other staff in the care and safety measures needed in residential setting, completed daily progress reports as well as incident reports citing irregularities within the facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bumblebee.baptiste@gmail.com in Detroit, Michigan

49 months ago

Just as the others have commented, training can go in many different directions. How one gets started can vary as well. I got started with training in 1990 when I worked for a bank and applied for a position to train the tellers. I had been a teller myself for eight years but had never trained before. I got the position handsdown and that was the start of a long fulfilling training career. The responsibilities of a trainer can vary and has changed over the years from, face to face classroom delivery to self-directed. Now virtual and online training seems to be the way a lot of companies are going. If a trainer has experience with developing and updating training materials, that is a big advantage. It seems almost all training positions nowadays require the trainer to not just deliver the material but create, revise and implement it as well. I have done much development of training modules along with classroom and virtual training. Even though I do not have formal education beyond a high school diploma, I have been certified in numerous programs via on-the-job. That's one great thing about having training experience is that companies do often value experience even if there is no formal degree. If you're passionate and most of all patient and love to help people...then go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jmcb in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas

38 months ago

I applied for a trainer position in San Antonio and got a response that someone was interested in my background and would be in touch with me. My question is, since this is a non money handling position, is it a requirement that Chase do a credit check on me prior to hiring and will the results effect my getting the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Acworth, Georgia

38 months ago

jmcb in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I applied for a trainer position in San Antonio and got a response that someone was interested in my background and would be in touch with me. My question is, since this is a non money handling position, is it a requirement that Chase do a credit check on me prior to hiring and will the results effect my getting the job?

Many times companies who are really interested in hiring you will do a credit check because they want to know how responsible you are handling your own financial affairs. I've seen Instructors who were let go because of something that was found in the credit history. It's real, companies do make hiring and firing decisions based on it. Be prepared to explain anything that would raise their eyebrows. If you have great credit you shouldn't sweat it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.