Are Training Instructor job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Training Instructor opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Computer Instructor in Birmingham, Alabama

63 months ago

Instructor-Led Training (ILT) is a field that is declining rapidly, as live human instructors are being replaced with Computer-Based Training (CBT). This trend was in place before the collapse of the economy, and the current financial situation has sped the trend exponentially.

Computer based training will never be as good as instructor-led; however, corporations are being lured by the idea that computers do not require travel funds, benefits or salaries. Quality is taking second seat!

Regardless of how good one is as an instructor, to survive it is absolutely imperative to learn web design, content development and instructional design. Survival depends on shifting one's primary focus from live training delivery to design of computerized course content.

As an exceptionally good trainer / presenter, I despise this trend! I entered the training field specifically because I take joy from sharing knowledge, seeing the "light bulb" come on over people's heads, and seeing learners' excitement when I give them something of value. I do not get that emotional high from sitting in front of a computer and anonymously designing exercises for unknown users to complete at unknown places.

However...............I also do not get that emotional high from sitting home wishing there were more training assignments and hoping I'll get at least enough work to pay the mortgage. As a survivor, I'm anonymously designing practice exercises for unknown users to complete at unknown places. My mortgage depends on it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy Peterson in Masan, South Korea

63 months ago

What about teacher instruction for curriculum trends and changes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Computer Instructor in Birmingham, Alabama

63 months ago

Good question! I have spent much time searching for options. There are many masters-level college programs in Instructional Design (ID), Curriculum Development, and Instructional Technology. There are also some commercial train-the-trainer (T3) courses available.

All of these options are expensive. Master's degree programs usually require a minimum of two years full-time study.

You can independently learn some of the software that online content developers use by legally downloading free trials. These trial versions usually last about one or two months. While the trial is active, explore and master the software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Computer Instructor in Birmingham, Alabama said: Good question! I have spent much time searching for options. There are many masters-level college programs in Instructional Design (ID), Curriculum Development, and Instructional Technology. There are also some commercial train-the-trainer (T3) courses available.

All of these options are expensive. Master's degree programs usually require a minimum of two years full-time study.

You can independently learn some of the software that online content developers use by legally downloading free trials. These trial versions usually last about one or two months. While the trial is active, explore and master the software.

I have almost completed my Master's degree in Curriculum and instruction, and I see the salaries are quiet lucrative. I am wondering how to go about getting into the work without any actual experience other than what I have learned and teaching adaptations to curriculum? Wendy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I have almost completed my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction. The salaries are quite lucrative. I am wondering how to get into a job such as this with no experience expcep 9 years of teaching experience adapting curriculum in my teaching practice?
Wendy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gerry garcia in Bakersfield, California

35 months ago

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more. I am a parenting coach and enjoy teaching any kind of parent,divorced, biological, single, foster, teachers, counselors, how to use strategic skills in reducing deviant behaviors. In the last two years, I have attempted to start a busienss in coaching but understanding the marketing systems has been challenging. Yes, I full understand the lack of joy in developing products rather than teaching clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.