Host Agency

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 293)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Christine in Hurricane, West Virginia

82 months ago

John,
I would NOT suggest YTB. Do the research. If it sounds too good to be true --- it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Washington, District of Columbia

82 months ago

Agreed, unless you are into pyramid schemes, stay clear. Check out www.pathonline.travel for quality reputable agency hosts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

BNTG in Alexandria, Virginia

82 months ago

I'm glad there are still smart people in the world...if you look through the threads you'll see when YTBers aren't gaining enough ground on you, they resort to attacking

YTB is mlm...and honestly, is it making "some" people money?; of course it is but is "everybody" making money, NO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nrfholley in Norfolk, Virginia

79 months ago

I'm looking to get a home based travel agency started. I just don't know where to start. I have had several suggestions; however after searching the web there are so many options. Can somebody help me? Looking for low start up fees, low monthly fees, and I want to be certified. Please send and info to nrfholley@aol.com ASAP! Thank you.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ginn12 in South Bend, Indiana

79 months ago

Thanks for the info. Cruise Planners besides the upfront $10k or $495.00 for me since I was already an agent also has other fees during the year.

I really like your website. Will keep it in mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

drew priddy in Anniston, Alabama

67 months ago

ginn12 in South Bend, Indiana said: Hi everyone,

I have to admit I wouldn't have joined Cruise Planners if it were going to cost me $10k. Too much I agree. But since I was already an agent for three years it was a no brainer to increase my commission. Plus they have an intranet site for us to go on to get more hits, marketing etc.

Yes I have two websites. Mine was www.greatcruising.com and mine with cruise planner's is www.greatcruising.org . Most people know my .com website.

If I can help anyone in anyway with the pros and cons of Cruise Planners I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Ginny

Hey Ginny,

I'm interested in starting a travel business and had some questions about CruisePlanners.

1. How hard is it to find customers?
2. What is the commision percentage?
3. Is it a good time to invest in this kind of business?

thank you,
drew

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

travelpro in Dublin, Ohio

66 months ago

Find a host that will train you and does not have an MLM or recruiting component to it. YTB, Traverus and World Ventures are ALL MLM Companies.

travelresearchonline.com/cardmills/

I suggest you check out PATH. Do your homework. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

www.path4hosts.com/index.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Durbin in Boca Raton, Florida

64 months ago

Look into CruiseOne...They offer eveything much better than Cruise Planners. The technology and marketing programs blow Cruise Planners out of the water. I am probably going to buy a franchise in Aguust. I am an expert agent and have been affiliated with AMEX before. There is really nothing that AMEX offers except a headache when trying to book "exclusive" offerings. CruiseOne just seems more reputable....They do't call me every day with some special offer, like a "free franchise"...starting to sound like an MLM now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

ginn12 in South Bend, Indiana

64 months ago

Are you presently with Cruise Planners?
What makes Cruiseone that much better?
I'd really be interested in their marketing programs.
How much is their franchise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ginn12 in Granger, Indiana

63 months ago

Do you mean your comissions were $3,375.00? How part-time were you?

I've often thought of leaving Cruise Planners to try something new but I've been with them since 2000 and they keep getting better and better that I'll stick around a while. I like them because even though their pretty bug now they treat us like family and they help us anyway they can.

Ginny Schoenfeld
info@greatcruising.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Dugan in Los Alamos, New Mexico

63 months ago

Please make sure to include Dugan's Travels in your comparison shopping. Just do a search for us online and you will find out more information.

Jennifer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

aroma in Vancouver, British Columbia

62 months ago

Hello all,
Can anybody tell me about AVC?
Is it true that they provide the leads after you have signed up?
I'm agent at Cruise Ship Centers but I think I need a change.
Thanks,

aroma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ginnys13 in South Bend, Indiana

62 months ago

drew priddy in Anniston, Alabama said: Hey Ginny,

I'm interested in starting a travel business and had some questions about CruisePlanners.

1. How hard is it to find customers?
2. What is the commision percentage?
3. Is it a good time to invest in this kind of business?

thank you,
drew

Hey Drew,

Actually business is back to normal again. You may not get as much commission until the end of the year but people are cruising. People are saying that by 2010 we should be back to normal.
You could either invest the money now with Cruise Planners or wait until the first of the year. I know the have training then.

Ginny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CC Wilshire in San Francisco, California

62 months ago

I am hoping some of you folks can give me some recommendations. I am a travel agent with 20 years experience and have been offered a concierge position where I will need an IATA number. Would it be best to apply for one under an LLC, or do a “host Agency”? I am not really clear as to which one would better suit me and I would need to make this happen ASAP as it is part of the job offer.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,

C.C.

cwilshire@tourarts.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CC Wilshire in San Francisco, California

62 months ago

Thanks Ginny,

So what would be the bebefit of the host agency? I will be issuing air tickts as well as high end hotels etc, not sure what benefit the host would be? Can you explain?

C.C.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MarciinVA in Reston, Virginia

61 months ago

Tom in West Orange, New Jersey said: The best one I think is Travel Planners International, Im with them, I can add you as a sub agent so you can get it for a good price, let me know.

email me at tmccaffery@vacationsnbeyond.com

I can help you get started with leads, etc

Program is 80-90% Commission with loads of extras

Tom:

I am originally from Montclaire, NJ (now living in another state) and I am looking into joining Travel Planners International to start a part time business.

Currently I develop slaes training for a training company which I can't name. I don't have any experience in the travel business so I looking for a high level of support in terms of business training(setting up an LLC, taxes, etc.)as well as training on the travel industry itself.

I am hoping to earn around $7k from my part time business. Is this feasible? How has your experience been working with TPI? Were you a new or seasoned agent when you joined?

Marcelle White
e3umla@verizon.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in West Orange, New Jersey

61 months ago

Not true a host agency will get better commission from suppliers and other things as well. For instance my agency comes with Clientbase Browser, E&O insurance, Booking engines and lots more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in West Orange, New Jersey

61 months ago

Well it takes time to make money, I first was with Joystar and got ripped because they went bankrupt and owe me 10,000 dollars then I went with TPI.

First Year I made 5,000 second year, 9,000 now im making over 100,000 in commissions, I have a great client base thats what you strive for. Look who you want to target and go from there. I mostly sell Disney World and Cruises family's with small children thats my niche. Seniors are a good niche as well but keep in mind most of them are low budget and will look for the best price.

When you first start in this business sell what you know than work your way up. Your selling a service and most clients may not ever been to that location, learn as much as you can. Keep away from people who are price matching because most of them will never rebook with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Dugan in Albuquerque, New Mexico

60 months ago

Another thing to keep in mind when you buy a franchise as opposed to joining a host agency is more than likely you are going to spend thousands more and then if you don't like it or don't feel the company is a good fit for you - you are out that money.

Finding a host agency that works with you both personally and professionally is important. One host agency might be great for one person and another person it might just not be right. It is very common for agents to move from host agency to host agency trying to find what works for them.

It could be as simple as procedures that an agent doesn't like. For example some host agencies require a certain product for you to submit your bookings. It may cost you money to use also. What if the system isn't something you find works for you? Or what if there is a supplier you want to use that the host agency refuses to offer for some reason? There are reasons that might make it so a host does not work for you.

Keep your costs as low as possible until you find that fit. Not all host agencies tell you what you can and can't do.

Jennifer Dugan
Dugans Travels

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Dugan in Albuquerque, New Mexico

60 months ago

Another thing I forgot to mention is that a host agency does provide many advantages:

Most host agencies belong to a consortium (ie Vacation.com, Ensemble, etc) which can not only provide you better commissions but also specials that you cannot get on your own.

Higher sales means more clout with a supplier. For example we had a hotel try to tell one of our agents that a rate was non-commissionable and once we let them know that we have 600+ agents and if they were to do that to us, we would not book with them anymore.. they gave us the commission that they originally told us we would get.

Sales managers care more about those who bring alot of business and are their big accounts.

Support is a major issue. So when you have a client who wants to travel someplace you have no experience with, how great would it be to send out an email asking for input and get many responses back from other agents with suggestions and ideas? That in itself is truly wonderful about working with other agents.

Seller of travel laws and dues and subscriptions can cost you alot of money. Not to mention many suppliers will not work with you without an ARC or IATAN number. States like Florida are very expensive to get licensed in without being with a host agency who is already registered.

Going on your own especially when you do not have the years experience of at least being with a host agency can really hurt you. Host agencies do not just take a cut of your commission.. a good one earns it.

Jennifer Dugan
Dugans Travels

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senko in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Lorena Serkovic in Ney york said: Well , I know an agency in Lima. When I traveled to Peru I work with South America Reps! this is the name of this prestigious agency.Here you can contact them
www.southamericareps.com/

Lorena thanks for replay,i think you missunderstend what i need to do. live in Harrisburg PA and i need Agency that i can work with here in usa. I want to book ticket to ex yugoslavian countries mostly Bosnia.You name looks like croatian name?Thanks for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

richard carson in Conroe, Texas

59 months ago

Senko in Carlisle, Pennsylvania said: Lorena thanks for replay,i think you missunderstend what i need to do. live in Harrisburg PA and i need Agency that i can work with here in usa. I want to book ticket to ex yugoslavian countries mostly Bosnia.You name looks like croatian name?Thanks for help.

Try Travel Counsellors. They are based in England, with a US office in New Jersey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jig in Bloomfield, New Jersey

58 months ago

I've just started searching for the cruise/travel franchise. Per Entrepreneur.com crusiplanners.com is one of the top 50 low cost franchise. That's why I've started inquiring about the cruisplanners. I have no experience in this industry.however, since it's a low cost franchise I was thinking about getting more information about it. What do you suggest? Should I start with this franchise or is there any other way to get into cruise/travel/hotel deals business? your help will be appreciated.

I have to admit I wouldn't have joined Cruise Planners if it were going to cost me $10k. Too much I agree. But since I was already an agent for three years it was a no brainer to increase my commission. Plus they have an intranet site for us to go on to get more hits, marketing etc.

Yes I have two websites. Mine was www.greatcruising.com and mine with cruise planner's is www.greatcruising.org . Most people know my .com website.

If I can help anyone in anyway with the pros and cons of Cruise Planners I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Ginny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy

56 months ago

Ginny

I am interesting in buying into the franchise with no travel experience. How much do you really think it will cost me? I would like to know before jumping in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Stingray in Carrollton, Texas

56 months ago

I believe I have narrowed down my search for a franchise with CruiseOne. Mainly based on the support. The one answer I haven't gotten yet is really based on numbers and I understand there are a lot of averages. Perhaps some experienced franchisees can give me the following stats so I can make some projections on potential sales? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is your average monthly advertising/marketing budget?
What percentage of your leads turn into sales?
What is the average commission received per sale? (I know this is a broad range but I need somewhere to start)
What is your number one sales lead?

Any other info you would be willing to provide that would help establish marketing plan I can use.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Stingray in Carrollton, Texas

56 months ago

Ginny,

That was great information!

Thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ginnys in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

53 months ago

Hi Scott,
What information are you needing?
Yes I just joined Cruise One and it's going Great!

Ginny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ginnys in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

53 months ago

Joe Durbin in Boca Raton, Florida said: Look into CruiseOne...They offer eveything much better than Cruise Planners. The technology and marketing programs blow Cruise Planners out of the water. I am probably going to buy a franchise in Aguust. I am an expert agent and have been affiliated with AMEX before. There is really nothing that AMEX offers except a headache when trying to book "exclusive" offerings. CruiseOne just seems more reputable....They do't call me every day with some special offer, like a "free franchise"...starting to sound like an MLM now!

Yes the technology Cruise One has is far superior than Cruise Planners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Rochester, New York

53 months ago

ginnys in Rhinelander, Wisconsin said: Yes the technology Cruise One has is far superior than Cruise Planners.

Hello Ginny,

I was referring to a previous post asking the below questions in regards to Cruise One

What is the average commission received per sale? (I know this is a broad range but I need somewhere to start)

Any other info you would be willing to provide that would help establish marketing plan I can use.

Thanks again,

Scott

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gussalloum in orange

53 months ago

wife and i are looking to buy a cruise franchise as a home based business, which is the way to go? cruise planners or cruise one? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alwarren in Springfield, Oregon

53 months ago

I am looking for a Host Agency. I'ver done some research and most of these names i know. Have gotten where you can kind of figure out what type of Host supplies what kinda of traning. So yes email me comments as added. Very interested and thought Jennifer for Dugan Travel very insightfull.

Thank you

Scott in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

53 months ago

Can anyone recommend a top of the line Host Agency? I'm not looking for a MLM agency, just a true, top shelf Host Agency.

Also,

Are their specific questions to ask a host agency in order to separate the good from the bad - sort of speak?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

53 months ago

I have the same questions, also do you know anything about Cruise Holidays? Thanks so much.

Thanks again,

Scott

gussalloum in orange

53 months ago

cruise2me, why not? what can you tell me about them or any others that you can recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

ginnys in Rhinelander, Wisconsin said: Hi Scott,
What information are you needing?
Yes I just joined Cruise One and it's going Great!

Ginny

I am thinking of joining Cruise one can yout ell me how you are doing and what you can expect to make your first year, secomd year etc. and what you will need for marketing expense to get there?
Thanks
Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

What is the cost? How much commission do they pay??

als in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

53 months ago

Any information/comments on CruiseOne would be greatly appreciated. Talked with Cruise Holidays and was very disappointed with their program, so anxious about pursuing.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Jennifer Dugan in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Another thing I forgot to mention is that a host agency does provide many advantages:

Most host agencies belong to a consortium (ie Vacation.com, Ensemble, etc) which can not only provide you better commissions but also specials that you cannot get on your own.

Higher sales means more clout with a supplier. For example we had a hotel try to tell one of our agents that a rate was non-commissionable and once we let them know that we have 600+ agents and if they were to do that to us, we would not book with them anymore.. they gave us the commission that they originally told us we would get.

Sales managers care more about those who bring alot of business and are their big accounts.

Support is a major issue. So when you have a client who wants to travel someplace you have no experience with, how great would it be to send out an email asking for input and get many responses back from other agents with suggestions and ideas? That in itself is truly wonderful about working with other agents.

Seller of travel laws and dues and subscriptions can cost you alot of money. Not to mention many suppliers will not work with you without an ARC or IATAN number. States like Florida are very expensive to get licensed in without being with a host agency who is already registered.

Going on your own especially when you do not have the years experience of at least being with a host agency can really hurt you. Host agencies do not just take a cut of your commission.. a good one earns it.

Jennifer Dugan
Dugans Travels

Can you suggest a really good host agency in Florida?
Looking at Cruise inc, and Expedia CruiseShipCenters do you have or know of any experience with either of these host agencies? I am open for any suggestions you might have, I am new to the industry but not new to telephone sales so I wanted to first get my education with a host agency but with one that has second to none training/market

chanely in Herndon, Virginia

52 months ago

Hello I would like also to find a best host agency that can lead me to some international airlines ,specially europe and africa ,or south america . Can anyone help me,with some sugestions ?

Thanks

52 months ago

check out net travel ease they have some awesome programs, they pay 50% to agents and they do also have air consolidators

Scott in Rochester, New York

52 months ago

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona said: check out net travel ease they have some awesome programs, they pay 50% to agents and they do also have air consolidators

Jennifer,

I just signed on with net travel ease. I am brand new to the travel business, I went with net travel ease partly due to your recommendation to give them a try, the low cost/ no cost to get started and the suppliers they work with looked good to me. I did see they will do a couple different style websites for you, what is your opinion regarding the sites they put together? I was looking at the 5 page, can you direct me to an example?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

S. Wells in Herndon, Virginia

52 months ago

Good for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ld in Kansas City, Missouri

52 months ago

I am getting ready to retire and want to start selling travel again. I was an excellent vacation/leisure specialist who quit the business about 10 years ago. I have continued to advise co-workers about travel and believe I can build a large customer base again. I was the top salesperson at the travel agency I worked at which at that time was the largest in the area. I have lots of experience with cruises, all-inclusive bookings as well as group travel planning. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start with investigating the opportunities available. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

don't listen to anyone on this fourm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Yes! Check out net travel ease you can start today!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Hi Mary in Fort Lauderdale, FL, why do you say not to listen to anyone on this forum? Thanks for providing feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Because I find that some are more of trying to "sell" and lead to a particular opportunity that I know is not a good choice.

You really have to do your homework, there is a site that lists all the reputable hosts that have been in business for succesfully for many years, all have different opportunitys but the most important one is to know just what you are looking for and only look into those that have the reputation and exactly for you.

I have looked at some that were recommended to me from this forum and when I looked into them I was amazed and very confused as to why they were even recommended. You really need to look up the recommended hosts and at least you know you have the right one for you.
Here is the info for you to search which are recommended by the NACTA that is where you should search out:
www.nacta.com/nacta_hosts.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Thank you Mary for sharing this information with me.

f22mom in Oceanside, California

52 months ago

What does a host agency do for you? I would like more info on this. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JMasterJ in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

52 months ago

Mary in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Because I find that some are more of trying to "sell" and lead to a particular opportunity that I know is not a good choice.

You really have to do your homework, there is a site that lists all the reputable hosts that have been in business for succesfully for many years, all have different opportunitys but the most important one is to know just what you are looking for and only look into those that have the reputation and exactly for you.

So u saying Cruise One is not good, but just being marketed here by people earning commission? or u talking about all the other advice?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.