I'm a volunteer tutor looking to get into paid tutoring profession, but having a hard time getting my foot in the door.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

ck1224 in Playa Del Rey, California

43 months ago

I can't seem to find tutoring clients on my own or get hired by a tutoring company, so I am doing more volunteer tutoring work, brushing up on more math subjects, etc.

I’ve been a volunteer tutor at the Culver City Adult School helping adult and high school students in math, science, reading, etc. since the end of January in their ABE and ILC programs. I’m currently an International Tutoring Association (ITA) member working towards tutor training certification.

I have a B.S. in Optical Engineering from the University of Arizona, so I can help students out with math, reading, and computer use. Even though I lack significant tutoring experience or credentials, I'm very curious, patient and persevering when it comes to learning on my own as well as currently investigating better ways of tutoring or teaching subjects to others.

I am very enthusiastic, intuitive, dependable, warm, caring and attentive to my student's self-esteem and emotional well-being while also being demanding, persevering, and firm in making sure that they are doing all of the work by themselves with help from me as needed. I’m also very good at finding free internet educational resources to help aid my students in their learning process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ck1224 in Playa Del Rey, California

43 months ago

Thanks, I need all the help I can get. I may finally have a paying client after 4 months of volunteer tutoring. I guess ratemytutor.com might be good to use if I am able to do a good job with her as I need some ratings/recommendations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dickersonka in Lawrenceville, Georgia

33 months ago

CramShark is an online tutoring site where you can sign up for free and offer tutoring services, most college subjects are covered. The site is pretty new, but it looks like things are picking up, so that might be an option for you.

www.cramshark.com

morning in Singapore, Singapore

27 months ago

Dear CK1224I,

I am looking for a volunteer English tutor, are you still available to take tuitions? I am in Singapore, I need a tutor like you being enthusiatic, dependable. Could you please reply me if you are still available.

Thank you very much.

morning

sunriselevelk@yahoo.com in Wareham, Massachusetts

23 months ago

ck1224 in Playa Del Rey, California said: I can't seem to find tutoring clients on my own or get hired by a tutoring company, so I am doing more volunteer tutoring work, brushing up on more math subjects, etc.

I’ve been a volunteer tutor at the Culver City Adult School helping adult and high school students in math, science, reading, etc. since the end of January in their ABE and ILC programs. I’m currently an International Tutoring Association (ITA) member working towards tutor training certification.

I have a B.S. in Optical Engineering from the University of Arizona, so I can help students out with math, reading, and computer use. Even though I lack significant tutoring experience or credentials, I'm very curious, patient and persevering when it comes to learning on my own as well as currently investigating better ways of tutoring or teaching subjects to others.

I am very enthusiastic, intuitive, dependable, warm, caring and attentive to my student's self-esteem and emotional well-being while also being demanding, persevering, and firm in making sure that they are doing all of the work by themselves with help from me as needed. I’m also very good at finding free internet educational resources to help aid my students in their learning process.

Hi
Go to a website called Wyzant. It lists local families searching for tutors in a variety of subjects. I currently tutor 10 kids and my client list keeps growing and it all started because of this wonderful website. GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not telling in Glendale, California

8 months ago

sunriselevelk@yahoo.com in Wareham, Massachusetts said: Hi
Go to a website called Wyzant. It lists local families searching for tutors in a variety of subjects. I currently tutor 10 kids and my client list keeps growing and it all started because of this wonderful website. GOOD LUCK!!

Are you kidding? Wyzant is a terrible company to work for! You should read the recent accounts of their underhanded behavior toward tutors and students.

TexasComputerGeek in Houston, Texas

1 month ago

ck1224 in Playa Del Rey, California said: I can't seem to find tutoring clients on my own or get hired by a tutoring company, so I am doing more volunteer tutoring work, brushing up on more math subjects, etc.

tutorregistration.com is a place to locate a tutor, in your area, who can help you one on one.
We are looking for tutors to that can help tutor a student.
Use FREETUTORREGISTRATION for the coupon. The $10 fee is waived.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.