DMS job market in Phila/South Jersey/DE area adn question about specialties

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Aimee in Wenonah, New Jersey

41 months ago

Hi everyone, I plan on entering the DMS program at Gloucester County College next Fall and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the job market is like in the Philly/South Jersey area. I would also be willing to travel to Delaware. I have read that the market is flooded but it seems to be worse in the south so I'm hoping it's better in the NE. I'm also wondering if applying to Thomas Jefferson to specialize would be worth it, and which specialty is most in-demand. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Woodbury, New Jersey

40 months ago

Aimee in Wenonah, New Jersey said: Hi everyone, I plan on entering the DMS program at Gloucester County College next Fall and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the job market is like in the Philly/South Jersey area. I would also be willing to travel to Delaware. I have read that the market is flooded but it seems to be worse in the south so I'm hoping it's better in the NE. I'm also wondering if applying to Thomas Jefferson to specialize would be worth it, and which specialty is most in-demand. Thanks.

did you get your reply already? thought they don't send them out til, april?

40 months ago

The acceptance letters aren't sent out til April, but I do feel fairly confident based on my ACT score and math and science grades. Even if I'm not accepted this year for some reason I'll be applying next year, this is the career I'm set on, so I'm doing my research.

40 months ago

Aimee in Wenonah, New Jersey said: The acceptance letters aren't sent out til April, but I do feel fairly confident based on my ACT score and math and science grades. Even if I'm not accepted this year for some reason I'll be applying next year, this is the career I'm set on, so I'm doing my research.

i put my app in as well. keeping my fingers crossed. do you know anyone in the program? what do they say about it?

40 months ago

I don't know anyone currently in the program, everyone in my classes now seems to be applying for this year or planning to apply for next. Good luck!

Sandra in Blackwood, New Jersey

33 months ago

Aimee in Wenonah, New Jersey said: The acceptance letters aren't sent out til April, but I do feel fairly confident based on my ACT score and math and science grades. Even if I'm not accepted this year for some reason I'll be applying next year, this is the career I'm set on, so I'm doing my research.

just saw your post...wondering if you got in and if so, what do you think about the program....plan on applying for Fall 2012? Any suggestions/helpful comments would be greatly appreciated!!! Do you know how many people they accept each year??

Aimee in Mantua, New Jersey

33 months ago

Hi Sandra...I did get in. I can't really offer an opinion on the program yet, because the first semester mostly consists of non-DMS corequisite courses...physics, A&P, etc. There's only one 1-credit DMS course this semester and we're just learning the history/basics of radiology right now. The only advice I can give is to try and get a 25+ on your ACT and A's for your math and science grades. It is competitive, and they only accept 14 people each year. Good luck!

Sandra in Blackwood, New Jersey

33 months ago

Thanks Amy! Congratualations on your acceptance! I'm attending required information session today to apply for the program. My Act score is a 26 and I already have a BA degree in Math with all A's in my core Math classes...how's the Tech Physics class?? Is there alot of Calc required to do the class...my degree is from a while back, and that is the only class I was concerned about to start. If alot of Calc is required to do the work, I may have to brush up with a study guide before I take it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks so much for responding so quickly. I am a 43 yr old mother of two, changing carreer's mid-life....very scary!!!

Aimee in Mantua, New Jersey

33 months ago

You don't have to take Technical Physics, you can do General, which is what I'm doing. There's not a lot of Calc involved which is good because I've never taken Calc, but Physics is a tough class. I'm a 31-yr-old mother of 4 and it's definitely a challenge. Good luck!153

Suzanne in Sewell, New Jersey

31 months ago

Aimee,
I saw that you mentioned getting "A"'s in math and science courses. I have an "A" in my A&P course and ACT scores of 27, but I received a B+ in my math course. Do you think it would be in my best interest to retake my math course and submit my midterm grade instead of submitting my math course with a B? Any feedback would be much appreciated :-)

31 months ago

It is hard to say. The ACT score is 50% while the math is 25%. You may be fine, but if you feel you need to take it again go for it. The act is worth more than the math class. I have an aotomatic 26 because I have a BA. Did you do well in your high school algebra? If you have an A in your HS math they will accept that grade. There are a number of different out comes. The lowest score last year that they accecpted was a 24 with the act, and that was a girl who was given a spot after someone declined a seat into the program. She had A's in all the math and science.
This year they are given a 26 to those who have a BA. However, you are 1 pt. higher with the ACT score of 27. Make an appointment and find out how much your ranking percentage equals to someone with A's in the classes and a 26 on the ACT. You might find yoh are stilling doing better. Best of Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Sewell, New Jersey

31 months ago

kat in Woodbury, New Jersey said: It is hard to say. The ACT score is 50% while the math is 25%. You may be fine, but if you feel you need to take it again go for it. The act is worth more than the math class. I have an aotomatic 26 because I have a BA. Did you do well in your high school algebra? If you have an A in your HS math they will accept that grade. There are a number of different out comes. The lowest score last year that they accecpted was a 24 with the act, and that was a girl who was given a spot after someone declined a seat into the program. She had A's in all the math and science.
This year they are given a 26 to those who have a BA. However, you are 1 pt. higher with the ACT score of 27. Make an appointment and find out how much your ranking percentage equals to someone with A's in the classes and a 26 on the ACT. You might find yoh are stilling doing better. Best of Luck!!!

Thank you for your advice Kat! I decided to retake my math course (ugh, feel like I wasted $ the first time around!). Hopefully I'll be able to get an "A" this time. If you get any more info about the program/acceptances, I would love to hear it :-)

31 months ago

Which math class, mat 110 or 105? You need both, they are prereq's. You can apply the higher grade of the two classes. So if you have an A in 105 and a B in 110, use the 105. however, both classes must be completed inorder to apply to the program. Which teacher are you taking? The teachers make a big difference. Some can not explain the subject well, while others do a much better job. Use the tutoring services, it will a huge impact on your grade. Best of luck.

Suzanne in Sewell in Blackwood, New Jersey

29 months ago

kat in Woodbury, New Jersey said: Which math class, mat 110 or 105? You need both, they are prereq's. You can apply the higher grade of the two classes. So if you have an A in 105 and a B in 110, use the 105. however, both classes must be completed inorder to apply to the program. Which teacher are you taking? The teachers make a big difference. Some can not explain the subject well, while others do a much better job. Use the tutoring services, it will a huge impact on your grade. Best of luck.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I took Math 105 as I couldn't fit 110 in my schedule, but I was assured I could take 110 this coming fall if accepted. Thankfully I have an A as my midterm grade so fingers crossed. I dropped off my application today, I'm very nervous. Thanks again for your help, and any info you can think of is appreciated :-)

28 months ago

Best of luck! now it's a wait and see. hope it all wors out well.

P521 in Turnersville, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hi everyone. I was accepted into this program beginning this fall and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the clinical hours are like? Are they all 8 am to 5 pm rotations? I am meeting with an advisor in about a week but I can't help trying to figure out when to fit in non Dms classes myself in the meantime. I know clinicals don't begin til next summer, but there is a class I was hoping to take Summer I next year, don't know if clinicals allow time for this. I know I should wait to speak to the advisor, but I am super excited.

Aimee in Woodbury, New Jersey

27 months ago

Congratulations! The first summer clinicals are only one day a week 8-4:30 (extra half hour for lunch), and the hospital you go to usually allows you to pick the day (except for Friday because the college is closed). There are also two evening classes per week during the summer. During the second fall semester of the program clinicals are Mon-Wed 8-4:30, and then your other dms classes are Thurs & Fri mornings. During the second spring semester clinicals are Wed-Thurs 8-5:30 (9 hr days) and morning classes on Mon & Tues.

HTH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in woodburt in Wayne, New Jersey

27 months ago

Got in too. Cant wait.

27 months ago

Aimee-thank you so much, the info really helped, and Kat, yay! Congrats, can't wait til we start :-)

27 months ago

Suzanne in Sewell in Blackwood, New Jersey said: Sorry it took me so long to answer. I took Math 105 as I couldn't fit 110 in my schedule, but I was assured I could take 110 this coming fall if accepted. Thankfully I have an A as my midterm grade so fingers crossed. I dropped off my application today, I'm very nervous. Thanks again for your help, and any info you can think of is appreciated :-)

Hi Suzanne,
Did you get in to the program? I did get into the program for the fall. Let me k ow on your end. my fingers are crossed for you.

Sandra in Sewell, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hi girls, got in the program as well for fall....super excited!

27 months ago

By the way, they accepted my PyhsicsI and II classes from my previous degree..whoo hoo, don't have to take that again!

27 months ago

sorry type o...Physics...also signed up for Medical Terminology during SummerI this year....was told it's a great online class, only 5 weeks, just alot of memorization and test taking, if anyone has a need to clear out a class and lighten their load....

27 months ago

Sandra in Sewell, New Jersey said: sorry type o...Physics...also signed up for Medical Terminology during SummerI this year....was told it's a great online class, only 5 weeks, just alot of memorization and test taking, if anyone has a need to clear out a class and lighten their load....

Congrats! Med-term is better to take online. It is a lot of work. Took it while taking A&P II. There are a lot of words, and they only test you on 25 of them, in each chp. Midterm will be from previous test, with 50 words on it. The final will be all the words from the beginning of the class, and again only 50 words on the test. I took this as a class once a week. It was a killer, but I learned a lot.
I am taking Tech-physics in the fall. Might be asking you for help :) Good luck, and enjoy your summer. If you need the med-term book LMK, you can use mine.

27 months ago

Congratulations Sandra! I'm taking Med term online this summer as well, probably the same class :-) thanks for the details Kat, I'm relieved to be taking it as my only summer class. I'm taking Math 110 and that cpr/first aid HPE class this fall, is anyone else taking these classes? Also, does anyone have any websites/resources that will help study for A&P II final? I have an especially difficult teacher this semester so I'm nervous.

27 months ago

Who do you have for A&P II?

27 months ago

Dr. Moskowitz. He's incredibly smart but perhaps would have been better teaching grad students. I passed our last test, but the rest of the class got 50% and below :-(

27 months ago

Did not have him. What kind of dr. is he? Try www.massagenerd.com and take the A&P test. there is smartbody.com or bodysmart.com. If he was anything like my A&PI, there were a lot of the answers found in the boxes and diadrams. I studied a lot of those. I had dr. clark for a&p II, much easier. a lot of work though. Good luck in the class.

27 months ago

I believe it's a doctorate in education, he also has a bunch of cardiac/radiology degrees. I'm going to check those sites out tonight! You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

21 months ago

Hey Aimee, hope all is going well....I wanted to pick your brain about Ultrsound Physics....Im getting nervous that I didn't have to retake Physics and am scared that I will be lost in the class since I took Physics so many years ago! How much Calc/Trig is involved in the Ultrasound Physics? Is is just formulas to memorize or do you really need to remember all the trig rules and formulas from calculus? I don't have time to take a refresher course, since I have to register for Ult.Physice next semester, but if necessary, I'll pick up a book on go on line to refresh my math skills...I'm just trying to get an idea of what to focus on. Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

tkane14 in Woodbury Heights, New Jersey

3 months ago

Hi guys. I was just accepted into Gloucester County's DMS program and have a couple of questions before deciding to go with the ultrasound program or go with nursing. I am stuck with trying to decide which career will be better in the long run.

Is the field currently saturated?
Have any of you been able to find a full time job after graduating?
Have any of you had a hard time finding a job?
Would I be better off specializing in cardiac or vascular at Jefferson after completing the GCC program than if I were to stick with general?
Lastly, are you happy with your decision to go into ultrasound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.