Career Change from Underwriting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Margaret in Virginia Beach, Virginia

83 months ago

I've been an underwriter for 16 years but found myself laid off again in 2007. Two jobs in one year is pretty pathetic for someone who is so seasoned. Underwriting in my opinion is a thankless job. The money isn't worth the stress you go though to be one. So this is what I have done and I want to share it with other out of work underwriters. Find a heavy producer in your area and see if they are looking for an assist. That's what I did and I found one. I work with him and his processor and the borrowers and I love it. I utilize my skills while getting the exposure with the buyers and the real estate agents. Its been a welcomed change despite all the gloom and doom in our industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Renata Kelly-Rippy in Richmond, Virginia

83 months ago

How did you get into underwriting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret in Virginia Beach, Virginia

83 months ago

I worked as a processor for six years and then I was promoted into it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan McHann in Dallas, Georgia

83 months ago

I feel your pain, I too am a seasoned underwriter . I worked my tail off to get to this position and once again I have been laid off. This makes about 4 times in my career now, except this time I simply CANNOT find a job to replace it. The mortgage industry in Atlanta has completely gone bust. I have been out of work for 6 months now and living off of my 401k and unemployment ( which runs out this week) . I was making 40 dollars an hour when I lost my job, the only jobs I can find are 10 to 12 dollars per hour and even they do not call back. Talk about frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 yrs experience in Rushville, Indiana

79 months ago

Margaret in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I've been an underwriter for 16 years but found myself laid off again in 2007. Two jobs in one year is pretty pathetic for someone who is so seasoned. Underwriting in my opinion is a thankless job. The money isn't worth the stress you go though to be one. So this is what I have done and I want to share it with other out of work underwriters. Find a heavy producer in your area and see if they are looking for an assist. That's what I did and I found one. I work with him and his processor and the borrowers and I love it. I utilize my skills while getting the exposure with the buyers and the real estate agents. Its been a welcomed change despite all the gloom and doom in our industry.

It's refreshing to hear that you were able to make a change and still find work you enjoy. Congratulations, and thanks for posting this info. The way things are going, your suggestion may be very useful to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

three's a charm in Birmingham, Alabama

68 months ago

There are mortgage underwriting jobs available in Birmingham, Alabama with Wells Fargo. They are looking for experience.

I'm a seasoned life underwriter with experience in structured settlements, disability, cancer, ect. I am looking for a company that supports remote underwriters.

Insider in San Francisco, California

65 months ago

three's a charm in Birmingham, Alabama said: There are mortgage underwriting jobs available in Birmingham, Alabama with Wells Fargo. They are looking for experience.

I'm a seasoned life underwriter with experience in structured settlements, disability, cancer, ect. I am looking for a company that supports remote underwriters.

The Birmingham Fulfillment Center has been shut down.

65 months ago

Please tell more? How many people lost jobs?

65 months ago

three's a charm in Birmingham, Alabama said: Please tell more? How many people lost jobs?

Dunno. Many. Tempe is alive and kickin (even though their underwriters are horrific), but Birmingham was shut down a few weeks back. If someone hasn't refinanced by now, they need to be hit over the head with a hammer.... volume is slowing down....

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

I have my mortgage with Countrywide. I have been unemployed since April 2008. Countrywide wouldn't modify my mortgage (Omaba plan sounds good - but mostly worthless). Bank of America won't either.

Any suggestions?

65 months ago

Wells Fargo Billings Montana will be shutting down August 13th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Tempe, Arizona

65 months ago

Insider in San Francisco, California said: Wells Fargo Billings Montana will be shutting down August 13th.

Hear anything about Wells Fargo Irvine shutting down? Volume is very slow with at least 3 rounds of layoffs in the last month, one big one and 2 small ones.

65 months ago

Wells and Wachovia are very unsettled. Their job focus changes daily.

Info in Long Beach, California

65 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I have my mortgage with Countrywide. I have been unemployed since April 2008. Countrywide wouldn't modify my mortgage (Omaba plan sounds good - but mostly worthless). Bank of America won't either.

Any suggestions?

The news that came out this week regarding the big banks and loan modification was a disappointment to the administration. You need to talk to a supervisor - make your point known. The Obama administration wants more modifications. Check out www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/

65 months ago

You need to get a job and try again.

65 months ago

Who is hiring life underwriters?

Herman Tullock in Lithonia, Georgia

63 months ago

They are hiring know in birminham contact

Michael Gerhardt
Branch Manager

michael.gerhardt@remedystaff.com

lomond finance in Preston, United Kingdom

60 months ago

Hi

All the underwrighter out there, we are looking for a an commercial underwrighter to join our company asap, i wuold be greatfull if you would get intouch with us.

Regards

Dani

lomond finance in Preston, United Kingdom

60 months ago

underwrighter wanted

Lomond Finance
dani@lomondfinance.co.uk

Please email us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Howard Rodgen in Newark, New Jersey

60 months ago

Margaret in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I've been an underwriter for 16 years but found myself laid off again in 2007. Two jobs in one year is pretty pathetic for someone who is so seasoned. Underwriting in my opinion is a thankless job. The money isn't worth the stress you go though to be one. So this is what I have done and I want to share it with other out of work underwriters. Find a heavy producer in your area and see if they are looking for an assist. That's what I did and I found one. I work with him and his processor and the borrowers and I love it. I utilize my skills while getting the exposure with the buyers and the real estate agents. Its been a welcomed change despite all the gloom and doom in our industry.

I have been in the business for a long time. Out of work for almost 18 months. VERY DISGUSTED. I agree the area of underwriting is very stressful, I do not have other business skills to do anything elas so I feel like I am in a block of ice.FROZEN in place. So what do you suggest? I need to get back to work and I am at a loss....

Howard Rodgen in Newark, New Jersey

60 months ago

lomond finance in Preston, United Kingdom said: Hi

All the underwrighter out there, we are looking for a an commercial underwrighter to join our company asap, i wuold be greatfull if you would get intouch with us.

Regards

Dani

I am a very good underwriter. Where are you? I am in the northwestern part of NJ. Please email me.eh_rodgen@msn.com

58 months ago

Anyone looking for a seasoned Life Underwriter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Lincoln, Nebraska

49 months ago

Also looking for Sr Life Underwriter work, prefer to work remote from home. Anyone looking? I have 16+yrs of underwriting experience plus another 10yrs in insurance industry.

Mary in Warren, Michigan

10 months ago

I too have been in this industry for a long time and have seen an awful lot of changes. I am looking to work remote at this time in my life - not able to relocate as my husband hopefully will be retiring in a few years but need to work, and the way this economy is who doesn't!!!! But it's not easy finding a stable job or secure for that matter. Any ideas?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.