Are Unit Secretary job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Unit Secretary opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

kathy in West Liberty, Ohio

49 months ago

Having worked as a Unit Secretary for 25 years +, Yes I have noticed that "automation " has caused a need to cross train for CNA duties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Bellefontaine, Ohio

48 months ago

Yes there sure seems to be a decline,although Physician and Nurse's duties are not declining, they will always need that "customer service" person on their teams!
p.s. A CNA can NOT answer a phone while they are "changing" a patient now can they? A physician's call-back can't go to an answering machine/ or prompt menu, nor can a nurse "wait around" or juggle her cell phone, let alone leave a bedside to talk ? I do believe that there will never be a COMPLETE job description for Unit Secretaries and the reality is that they will always be needed! Keep us in the Budget for a SMOOTH operation!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NATALI in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

Well the the doctors will be trained to start entering their own orders in the computer verses them writing them on an order sheet. My question is: Where would that leave us (Secretaries)?

Just answer phones and call consults? Soon they will have the charge nurse do all of those things. I dont like nusring so i'm trying to fing something in the mdeical field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Richton Park, Illinois

34 months ago

NATALI in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Well the the doctors will be trained to start entering their own orders in the computer verses them writing them on an order sheet. My question is: Where would that leave us (Secretaries)?

Just answer phones and call consults? Soon they will have the charge nurse do all of those things. I dont like nusring so i'm trying to fing something in the mdeical field.

I work under these conditions now, and the orders still have to be sent to the appropriate department and scheduled. The orders are just in the computer instead of on paper. We are still very much needed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kazina in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

NATALI in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Well the the doctors will be trained to start entering their own orders in the computer verses them writing them on an order sheet. My question is: Where would that leave us (Secretaries)?

Natali, I work under the same conditions. U.S. are still needed in my opinion. We are greatly depended upon for various duties. However, it might be useful to cross train as a CNA but I am no longer a spring chicken and can't lift over 55lbs. So, I have decided to apply for the following positions Sec. II, III, or IV. If you have these skills+ you may want to apply for these types of openings as they become available. Good Luck!

Alb111 in Clearwater, Florida

28 months ago

Pat in Richton Park, Illinois said: I work under these conditions now, and the orders still have to be sent to the appropriate department and scheduled. The orders are just in the computer instead of on paper. We are still very much needed!

When your hospital went over to the doctors putting in their own orders, none of the secretaries got laid off?

Alb111 in Clearwater, Florida

28 months ago

Kazina in Chicago, Illinois said: NATALI in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Well the the doctors will be trained to start entering their own orders in the computer verses them writing them on an order sheet. My question is: Where would that leave us (Secretaries)?

Natali, I work under the same conditions. U.S. are still needed in my opinion. We are greatly depended upon for various duties. However, it might be useful to cross train as a CNA but I am no longer a spring chicken and can't lift over 55lbs. So, I have decided to apply for the following positions Sec. II, III, or IV. If you have these skills+ you may want to apply for these types of openings as they become available. Good Luck!

They didn't lay off any secretaries when the docs started putting in their own orders?

Trish in Park Forest, Illinois

28 months ago

Funny you should feel that way...I worked last night(12hrs). When I entered the nursing
unit it was in total chaos. The Secretary I was releiving was so glad to see me because
she knew what was about to happen. Nurses were trying to give report, patients were arriving from ER, orders were being entered into the computer(by the MDs)and the phones were ringing off the hook. There were at least 4 requests before I could manage to get
report and to top it off 2 of the admits that had arrived had a change in medical condition. The nurses could not handle all of that and give care to their patients. Once again we are very much needed and I think to attempt to put that load on the nurses alone would be very foolish. But that's just my opinion. As for MDs entering their orders in the computer, that is exactly what they are doing. The orders still need to make it to the appropriate departments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ceejay in Carmel, New York

24 months ago

I thought the same thing and started to freak. but the nurses aren't all on board to do EVERYTHING...like sitting at a computer on wheels outside the room who is calling and don't even hear the bell! Now that the govt. is not funding for poor customer service, USs are more important than ever! YOU answer the call bells, right? They still need us!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.