Differences in pay between an associates and bachelor's degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

zrotech in El Paso, Texas

33 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting the online courses at San Juan this fall but noticed that it's only a junior college, meaning I can only get my associates degree. This is fine with me, but since my parents are paying for my school they would prefer me to get my bachelor's degree. I really want to attend San Juan first because this was my initial plan. But I want to make my parents happy and get my bachelor's. With that being said, they would want me to attain my bachelor's from St. Petersburg. Would I be able to attend San Juan first, get my associate's and then transfer to St. Petersburg for my bachelor's?

Thanks to all who reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

zrotech in El Paso, Texas said: Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting the online courses at San Juan this fall but noticed that it's only a junior college, meaning I can only get my associates degree. This is fine with me, but since my parents are paying for my school they would prefer me to get my bachelor's degree. I really want to attend San Juan first because this was my initial plan. But I want to make my parents happy and get my bachelor's. With that being said, they would want me to attain my bachelor's from St. Petersburg. Would I be able to attend San Juan first, get my associate's and then transfer to St. Petersburg for my bachelor's?

Thanks to all who reply!

SORRY EVERYONE! I also forgot to mention the reason for obtaining my bachelor's degree is because my parents feel that I would make more money. (Obviously) But would it really make that much of a difference between the two??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Is there a difference in the pay and would it be worth the time and money to get the bachelor's degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

33 months ago

In general, no a bachelors degree is not going to earn you more money especially not in general practice or right off the bat. And the majority of veterinary technology degree programs are offered at junior colleges because no state requires a bachelors degree in order to be credentialed as a veterinary technician.

You may have more job opportunities with a bachelors degree if you intend to try to take on a teach position in a veterinary technology or veterinary medical school, go into research, go to work for a drug company or other pet care related company or go to work for a specialty practice. You may also have a better opportunity to go into practice management, though that depends on whether or not the bachelors degree program you enroll in is focused on managment or advanced nursing.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact myself or any of the other board members of the Texas Assoc. of Registered Veterinary Technicians. www.tarvt.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

charles shutt12 in California, United States minor outlying islands

29 months ago

You see an associate degree is great to kick-start your education and secure entry-level jobs once you graduate and you can always transfer your credits to a bachelor’s program sometime later if you feel the need. But yes, the truth is, a bachelor’s degree does increase your chances of getting a higher salary, mainly because not only does it cover a broader range of subjects in a particular field, but also teaches you its business and management aspect. I think if you want to increase your chances of finding a well-paying, satisfying job in the current economy, you ought to consider investing in a technical degree. Business administration, accounting, finance, healthcare, IT etc are just a few options for you to consider. Be thorough with your research about a college before applying. For instance, I’m interested in a degree in healthcare and so I’ve been reviewing colleges- I just read a bunch of student testimonials and complaints about CollegeAmerica, because I like to find out everything I can about a college before applying. I’d advise you to do the same.
goo.gl/RpJNa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.