Waitress tips

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

RoxyMusic in Flowery Branch, Georgia

55 months ago

How long has your daughter been working there? How much does she actually take home at the end of the week? These wait-staff pay checks seem confusing (I'm in the same boat - trying to figure out what my son earns). In any event, keep a diary of her hours worked, in the worse case scenario she could recover some money through the Dept of Labor. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Freeport, Illinois

54 months ago

I am a waitress in Freeport, Illinois. Does your daughter or son get to take the tips home each night? If they do, what the establishment does is add the tips to their hourly wage and then deduct them off the paycheck because he/she already received the cash. The tips are a pay advance. Here we get paid 4.80 an hour which is tipped minimum wage. The regular minimum wage is 8.00 an hour. We are supposed to claim all of our tips. Each of my paychecks shows my gross income for the period and then shows my tips being deducted and then the taxes taken out. My paychecks end up being very little but the tips make up for it. I always have cash.

I know it's a bit confusing but I hope this helps you two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

niknik2287

53 months ago

I just got employed at a restaurant and my boss says we will be getting paid 2.13 an hour which is the minimum wage and that our tips will be added in our paycheck as reported tips. So does anyone know how much of that will be taken out in taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TheWaiter in Albany, New York

51 months ago

Expect to pay about 20-25% of reported tips and hourly income in taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

i won in the end in Eatontown, New Jersey

48 months ago

niknik2287 said: I just got employed at a restaurant and my boss says we will be getting paid 2.13 an hour which is the minimum wage and that our tips will be added in our paycheck as reported tips. So does anyone know how much of that will be taken out in taxes.

This chick lives in south amboy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Linwood, New Jersey

48 months ago

I think the tip system is so wrong..when i worked 20 years ago, I made $2.15/hr - and most nights went home with few tips. tips should be used as a bonus, tips should not be used to counter-part your low tiny wage..and tips are never guaranteed, but regardless the employee is still paid $2+ an hour...If you think about it, at $2 an hour, you would have to make $80/day in tips just to earn just less then $100 per day, then expect a good portion of that to be taken in taxes. $80 a day in tips? I was lucky if i made
$5-$10/day in tips...of course, if you are a hot chick, in the right place, then you can easily pull this off...but the avg waiter is not going to make this type of tips daily...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Birmingham, Alabama

47 months ago

Chelsea in Freeport, Illinois said: I am a waitress in Freeport, Illinois. Does your daughter or son get to take the tips home each night? If they do, what the establishment does is add the tips to their hourly wage and then deduct them off the paycheck because he/she already received the cash. The tips are a pay advance. Here we get paid 4.80 an hour which is tipped minimum wage. The regular minimum wage is 8.00 an hour. We are supposed to claim all of our tips. Each of my paychecks shows my gross income for the period and then shows my tips being deducted and then the taxes taken out. My paychecks end up being very little but the tips make up for it. I always have cash.

I know it's a bit confusing but I hope this helps you two.

so i have a question since you get this. I make 2.13 an hour plus i take home tips from the previous night. so if i work onb a friday night i get my tips on saturday. but i got my first check for my hourly wage and it was for zero dollars. i was under the assumption that i get paid a percentage of tips and 2.13 an hour. but my boss tried explaining that my hourly wage gets deducted since i make tips and that i will get zero dollars every paycheck. but if i make a percentage of tips AND an hourly wage shouldn't i still be required to get paid my hourly wage? I live in alabama, PLEASE HELP ME!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

babygirl3377 in Scranton, South Carolina

47 months ago

I'm about to get a job as a waitress. the sites I went to didn't give to much info. how do i know if this is a good job for me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mec in Chesapeake, Virginia

36 months ago

As a server yes you only earn two something an hour but your tips make up for the rest to make it minimum wage. This means if minimum wage is 8.00 and you are making 2.00 an hour you ONLY have to make 6.00 each hour and it puts you at minimum wage. Now here it the part that no one has clearly explained: Okay so say I worked a 10 hour shift last night and i make 2.00 an hour, minimum wage is 8.00, and I made 100.00 in tips. So from what I said earlier in order to break even with minimum wage I needed to make 60.00 in tips--the other 20.00 to make 80.00 comes from hours--now since I made 100.00 this leaves me with 40.00 extra dollars, so who ever does payroll subtracts the extra money which would leave me with 20.00 on a paycheck, minus taxes. It isn't that complicated once you are shown, BUT ALWAYS KEEP PAY STUBS, CLOCK IN/OUT SLIPS, AND AN EXTRA COPY OF YOUR SERVER REPORTS! Just in case they take more out that they are supposed to, add more tips than you really made, or flat out try to not pay you. ALSO, if you cannot make at least 6 dollars an hour in tips find a new job, to be honest even the rudest people are easy to get 10.00 EACH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xXDevilsGuardianXx in Germantown, Maryland

35 months ago

babygirl3377 in Scranton, South Carolina said: I'm about to get a job as a waitress. the sites I went to didn't give to much info. how do i know if this is a good job for me

visit this link:

www.make-better-tips.com/waiter-waitress-tips.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bdjohn in Santa Maria, California

32 months ago

Kim in Carnegie, Pennsylvania said: I have a question, My daughter works for a restaurant and they add her tips to her pay in her paycheck and then deduct them at the bottom, so its like she is working for a lousy $2.83 an hour and thats all. I do not understand. Is this how it works for tips and she makes no other benefits. How can I find out if she is being robbed or what.

(The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.)
There is a misconception that servers are required to report their tips as at least 8% of their sales revenue. 8% is simply a bottom line that the IRS uses when attempting to determine how much a server earned in tips over the year. The IRS does not expect to be paid 8% of a servers sales as tax. That means is that in absence of documentation to show how much that server earned in tips the IRS is going to assume they earned at least 8% of their food and beverage sales.

Example: Server sells $1000 in food - IRS is going to automatically assume that they took home $80 in tips that shift. they are going to treat that $80 as taxable income and depending on what tax bracket the server is in - they might get 25% of the $80 which is $20. So when a customer tips 8% it isn't all going to the government, it's simply that all of it is going to be taxable automatically.
This tax on tips went into effect under Reagan. One of Restaurant Associations main goals is to keep their employees wages below minimum wag

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Long ago (ahem), you only had to claim enough in tips to take you to minimum wage. The rest was yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sweetheart8177 in Ocala, Florida

15 months ago

nick in Birmingham, Alabama said: so i have a question since you get this. I make 2.13 an hour plus i take home tips from the previous night. so if i work onb a friday night i get my tips on saturday. but i got my first check for my hourly wage and it was for zero dollars. i was under the assumption that i get paid a percentage of tips and 2.13 an hour. but my boss tried explaining that my hourly wage gets deducted since i make tips and that i will get zero dollars every paycheck. but if i make a percentage of tips AND an hourly wage shouldn't i still be required to get paid my hourly wage? I live in alabama, PLEASE HELP ME!

I live in Florida.. but i recently figured out how to do this math a couple days ago. My boss messed up my w2 to where i OWE money when im suppose to get a good $500 back.. but anyways.. heres an example (the way i know)

you make $2.13 hour
you work 25 hours in 2 weeks
your cash tips are $120
your credit card tips are $35

heres the formula:

hourly wage x number of hours= hourly wage
credit card tips + cash tips= tips
add your hourly wage and your tips= gross pay
take your gross pay and x federal tax percentage
take your gross pay and x social security tax percentage
add both of those up and subtract that amount from your gross pay
then subtract your tips= net pay

2.13 x 25= 53.25
35 + 120= 155
53.25 + 155= 208.25
208.25 x (florida fed tax 12%)= 24.99
208.25 x (florida social sec tax 7.65%)= 15.93
208.25 - 24.99= 183.26
183.26 - 15.93= 167.33
(no state taxes are taken out)
167.33 - 120= 47.33 <-- that should be your 2 week check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

riarambula

6 months ago

sweetheart8177 in Ocala, Florida said: I live in Florida.. but i recently figured out how to do this math a couple days ago. My boss messed up my w2 to where i OWE money when im suppose to get a good $500 back.. but anyways.. heres an example (the way i know)

you make $2.13 hour
you work 25 hours in 2 weeks
your cash tips are $120
your credit card tips are $35

heres the formula:

hourly wage x number of hours= hourly wage
credit card tips + cash tips= tips
add your hourly wage and your tips= gross pay
take your gross pay and x federal tax percentage
take your gross pay and x social security tax percentage
add both of those up and subtract that amount from your gross pay
then subtract your tips= net pay

2.13 x 25= 53.25
35 + 120= 155
53.25 + 155= 208.25
208.25 x (florida fed tax 12%)= 24.99
208.25 x (florida social sec tax 7.65%)= 15.93
208.25 - 24.99= 183.26
183.26 - 15.93= 167.33
(no state taxes are taken out)
167.33 - 120= 47.33 <-- that should be your 2 week check

I understand how your working this calculation, but where I'm stuck is this if im working for 2.15/or and I make say less than 10$ or no tips that day. I know the company is suppose to make up the difference to minimum wage. How do I figure out the formula for how much they are suppose to pay if minimum wage is 7.25/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.