older waitresses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

newbie in Calgary, Alberta

55 months ago

I have been in this industry for a longgggg time as well. And i hate to break it you... but it would be naive to think we did not have time lines.. its part of being in this industry. You want to work in the busy bar or fancy restaurant... well its not going to happen. time to apply at dennys. and dont tell me you didnt realize this was going to happen.. its why as waitresses we should have back up plans.. think about when its all going to end and what kind of job we can get then. its why there are no unions.. its not brain science and its not hard. there are alot of 20 somethings that can do the job as good as you and the customers prefer the younger girls (its how the world works so deal with it) and therefore spend more money or/and return more frequently. so here it is bluntly; customers dont want an old server when they could have one half the age. This is just the way or your establishment saying why dont you quit already! you should have never applied for a waitressing job in the mind from of... I am going to work here til I retire. Thats just stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Waitressing is a starting job. The days of being in a job or an industry for many years - is very long gone - with almost every industry.

Newbie is right on target. Even twenty years ago is was rare to see an older woman, one past forty, waitressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cynbow89 in Grimsby, Ontario

55 months ago

I understand what your saying but the roadhouse i work in has a clientel from 35-65 so 50 is right in the middle. I would also like to point out that i had the most requests for my section than the other servers on Sat nights (from phone reservations)I have an awsum sence of humour that the customers love and had offers from restaraunt owners to come work for them. also i have been stopped on the street in my town and asked where ive been and heard the complaints about the new dippy staff. Hello 50 is middle age and i carry it well ty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Calgary, Alberta

55 months ago

there is nothing wrong with your age.. I am pretty much 50 now. But you sound sooooo immature. One of those people that think they are the best waitress in the world, the one that everybody loves and who can sell more than anyone else. they believe that they could run circles around newer or youger girls... blah blah blah.. it's like saying you the best pumper at the gas station, or the best flipper at the burger place. it's not hard. the human brain is capable of much more. and at the end of the day if thats all the skills you have gained in you life thatn maybe you should be worried. theres is no degree for serving and there is a reason... pretty much anyone can do it. customers dont want waitresses their own age serving them. men are men and i can guarantee you that 99 percent of your customers would like a hot 21 year old, and your from canada so that can even be an 18 year old. they may not tell you to your face but its really probable. most people in your mind frame are usually around 30 and by 40 they are smart enough to get out! but I can tell that your one of the waitresses (known many of them) that think they are a serving god that everybody loves and everyones favorite.. no one could ever do the job you do (according to you).. i am sure your customers complain about the other staff to you... then when your not around give the same compliments to the new staff and might even make jabs at you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Hot Old Server in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

You're all right. It's not fair, but it's true. I have been in the industry for over 20 years. I'm 41 and easily look 28. Until just last year I worked in one of the hottest high volume night clubs in Chicago, and you KNOW you HAVE TO LOOK GOOD to work them. I was getting along well and making $300+ a night in tips. Still, I looked ridiculous next to my 21yr old colleagues - by obvious attitude and maturity levels alone. This life can't last forever. I'm a freelance writer and opening my own restaurant. Gotta have a back up plan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brooklyngirl in Brooklyn, New York

54 months ago

cynbow89 in Grimsby, Ontario said: waitresses/ waiters really do need a union. i have waitressed at a pub for 13 years every saturday night and have been sick 3 times in that time. i just turned 51. i am 2nd in segniority..they have been on a hiring spree of 20 somethings and all of a sudden i have no hours. segniority and loyalty have been thrown in the trash can. i live in grimsby ontario. our gov laws do nothing to protect us and lawyers cost $$$any ideas.
funny thing is im young for my age and i get the most requests for my section than others do. I am quick witted and have a great sence of humour. i havent let myself go. the only thing ive done is age

I too am an older waitress but I'm in NYC. If you need a lawyer for discrimination here you can get one who only gets paid when he/she wins. It sounds like you have a case. In the meantime you should probably cross over to management somewhere. The pay can be really good and the security doesn't suck. Also, talk to your customers they can be great networking people. I wish you luck! Oh, and don't listen to the negative replies. Experience is worth more than the 22 year old. And, a smart business owner will see that. It just might be a little tougher trying to land a gig than the younger servers. But, not impossible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Coppelia2010 in Saint Catharines, Ontario

54 months ago

Maybe they're looking for a waitress that can spell...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

ss i spelt awesome wrong. i also have worked for government for 23 years- cant be all that dumb now can i.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

newbie in Calgary, Alberta said: there is nothing wrong with your age.. I am pretty much 50 now. But you sound sooooo immature. One of those people that think they are the best waitress in the world, the one that everybody loves and who can sell more than anyone else. they believe that they could run circles around newer or youger girls... blah blah blah.. it's like saying you the best pumper at the gas station, or the best flipper at the burger place. it's not hard. the human brain is capable of much more. and at the end of the day if thats all the skills you have gained in you life thatn maybe you should be worried. theres is no degree for serving and there is a reason... pretty much anyone can do it. customers dont want waitresses their own age serving them. men are men and i can guarantee you that 99 percent of your customers would like a hot 21 year old, and your from canada so that can even be an 18 year old. they may not tell you to your face but its really probable. most people in your mind frame are usually around 30 and by 40 they are smart enough to get out! but I can tell that your one of the waitresses (known many of them) that think they are a serving god that everybody loves and everyones favorite.. no one could ever do the job you do (according to you).. i am sure your customers complain about the other staff to you... then when your not around give the same compliments to the new staff and might even make jabs at you.

i have a full time gov job as well and i know waitresses are a dime a dozen but im not afraid to say i am a good waitress and yes they have done it to a few of us.im not the only one. the lawsuits are flying at them. and as well the sales there are way down. the people that are left there are not happy.
i noticed your comments were posted in the wee hours. mabe you should grow up and get a life. good luck with that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RickT in Oswego, Illinois

52 months ago

newbie in Calgary, Alberta said: there is nothing wrong with your age.. I am pretty much 50 now. But you sound sooooo immature. One of those people that think they are the best waitress in the world, the one that everybody loves and who can sell more than anyone else. they believe that they could run circles around newer or youger girls... blah blah blah.. it's like saying you the best pumper at the gas station, or the best flipper at the burger place. it's not hard. the human brain is capable of much more. and at the end of the day if thats all the skills you have gained in you life thatn maybe you should be worried. theres is no degree for serving and there is a reason... pretty much anyone can do it. customers dont want waitresses their own age serving them. men are men and i can guarantee you that 99 percent of your customers would like a hot 21 year old, and your from canada so that can even be an 18 year old. they may not tell you to your face but its really probable. most people in your mind frame are usually around 30 and by 40 they are smart enough to get out! but I can tell that your one of the waitresses (known many of them) that think they are a serving god that everybody loves and everyones favorite.. no one could ever do the job you do (according to you).. i am sure your customers complain about the other staff to you... then when your not around give the same compliments to the new staff and might even make jabs at you.

I am a guy and will admit it really depends on where the waitress is working. In a sitdown restaurant I really don't care and would rather have an older waitress. Actually, I never really thought about it much, but that is what Hooters caters to anyhow. To me, that is the primary reason why you rarely ever see older women bartenders. The bar owners figures that they will draw more young men if the bartender is a young, pretty female. That is just a fact of life. How many young guys would prefer a 50+ female bartender?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sal Anthony

46 months ago

I have been a top notch WAITER for 16yrs and have seen the younger people COME AND GO.... Usually because no matter how much u try to train them it is a losing BATTLE> Patrons really do appreciate a seasoned Wait person who knows their STUFF adn they do tip accordingly. ( have noticed that time and time again)....Well any ways at 50 your career (and it is a career to us) is NOT over unless u want it to be. Be strong and keep on keepin ON...... God bless to all of u dinasaurs (like me) All the best, Sal Anthony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.