not paying tips

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Gabbi in Carol Stream, Illinois

48 months ago

I just start working at an Italian restaruant in Bloomingdale and was told that if no cash comes in at the end of the night we can't collect our tips. I listened to a few servers complaining and was informed that one server was owed over 1k and a few over 100+ and no one knows when they will see the cash, this appears to be a red flag

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jon Gilham in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

This is illegal and you should report it. If you are hired at say $2 an hour as a server then you should get paid that amount. Your tips are yours nomadder how they are given via cash or credit. If the company does not break even for the night then they need to look at their structure and not take their employees money. That is steeling. I recomend contacting a labor lawyer and finding out what you can legally do. My brother had to do this once and he got his money and the business went under. Call 211 from any phone and tell them your situation and they will help you find legal aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Jon Gilham in Indianapolis, Indiana said: This is illegal and you should report it. If you are hired at say $2 an hour as a server then you should get paid that amount. Your tips are yours nomadder how they are given via cash or credit. If the company does not break even for the night then they need to look at their structure and not take their employees money. That is steeling. I recomend contacting a labor lawyer and finding out what you can legally do. My brother had to do this once and he got his money and the business went under. Call 211 from any phone and tell them your situation and they will help you find legal aid.
I will do that, I was told the paychecks come thru but not the tip out at the nights end so it appears that I would be taxed on the tips but not receive them due to them not having cash on hand and hoping that I will get it. This is a well known place and has been here for approx 20+ years and the owner is extremely hands on

48 months ago

I feel that I should get another job soon, to many people are owed to much money and you are right, there is a reason for that, very sad because the place can be entertaining and the customers are delightful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jon Gilham in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

They may be able to have a policy to hold tips until payday if there is not enough cash on hand but no longer than that. Most people use plastic now a days and businesses may not want too much cash on site. You are due your full amount of tips. Each night you should atleast get a statement of how much you are owed.

lauren in Bloomingdale, Illinois

48 months ago

Jon Gilham in Indianapolis, Indiana said: They may be able to have a policy to hold tips until payday if there is not enough cash on hand but no longer than that. Most people use plastic now a days and businesses may not want too much cash on site. You are due your full amount of tips. Each night you should atleast get a statement of how much you are owed.
this sounds like a place that I no longer work at, they are not giving statements and you have to keep track of your tips, when you are given some cash you deduct it and it is signed off on, this is on your check as income you just don't have it yet and the employees are concerned that their is a problem for some the are owed to much money and that includes the busboys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Gabbi in Carol Stream, Illinois said: I just start working at an Italian restaruant in Bloomingdale and was told that if no cash comes in at the end of the night we can't collect our tips. I listened to a few servers complaining and was informed that one server was owed over 1k and a few over 100+ and no one knows when they will see the cash, this appears to be a red flag

I am reporting this place on Tuesday, thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ieshia in Silver Spring, Maryland

44 months ago

Gabbi in Carol Stream, Illinois said: I just start working at an Italian restaruant in Bloomingdale and was told that if no cash comes in at the end of the night we can't collect our tips. I listened to a few servers complaining and was informed that one server was owed over 1k and a few over 100+ and no one knows when they will see the cash, this appears to be a red flag

Gabbi go to a temp service agency for food service. I worked at one and the pay is weekly. Places like Aramark are a good company
they have a wide range of food service oppurtunities. With benefits
I would leave the job or try to self advertise take menus if they have any and place them in mailboxes or on the windshield of vehicles. I would also consider quitting cause the year is ending and rent is allways due.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.