Hourly pay question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 169)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Waitressing Newbie in Bluffton, South Carolina

83 months ago

Hi there.

I'm new to waitressing ... I've only been at it for about a month so far.

Here's my question: I get paid $2.19 hourly, plus tips, which are usually between $50 and $100 per shift. My last paycheck was for only $23 for two weeks worth of base salary work (74 hours). $139 was taken out in taxes.

Does this sound normal? I guess I'm being taxed on both my tips and hourly pay ... it just seems like such a small amount a lot of work.

Thanks so much for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (193) / No (79) Reply - Report abuse

terra in Mchenry, Illinois

83 months ago

Hi where i live it is 4.50 an hour plus tips .. I generally make about 150.00 a shift .. My checks are about 140.00 +/- every 2 weeks ... We do not get taxed on our tips how can they tax our tips they don't know what we make LOL thats my bosses statement anyways

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

Wild Orchid in Orlando, Florida

83 months ago

Wow! I didn't know waitresses/waiters had it so bad! It does seem like it's a lot of work for little pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

rjones1963 in east peoria, Illinois

82 months ago

Waitressing Newbie in Bluffton, South Carolina said: Hi there.

Here's my question: I get paid $2.19 hourly, plus tips, which are usually between $50 and $100 per shift. My last paycheck was for only $23 for two weeks worth of base salary work (74 hours). $139 was taken out in taxes.

Does this sound normal? I guess I'm being taxed on both my tips and hourly pay ... it just seems like such a small amount a lot of work.

My girlfriend is a waiter and yes you are to report tips as part of your wages (go figure) all this should be on file with your employer as to what has to be reported to irs. if its not on file your boss could be in trouble, get a lawyer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

79 months ago

You should work in UK - im in small cafe which pays just slightly above minumum wage at £5.40 (about $10) an hour plus tips. And I do not get taxed on tips and pay only about £12 a month on tax! You guys got it hard in the states

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

rman in East Saint Louis, Illinois

77 months ago

k

bcd in Raleigh, North Carolina said: j Waiters do not get paid min. wage. They get between 2.15-and if your w/ a union anywhere from $8-15/hr. Yes, it sounds correct. If you say you are making 50-100 a shift and you work 5 shifts, then at $75, thats $750 every two weeks. I think you are just inexperienced and with any industry you have to have experience to make $. I have been in the industry for 15 yrs and last year on paper alone I claimed 45,000. I only work 5-6 hr. shifts.
How long are your shifts?
What are the opportunity costs? j

dude bcd where do u work? Ive been serving for 3 years but I've always wondered what the highest paying restaurants on tips were. Im a server at applebees n I cud make 25k a year working 40 hrs. a week. my email is rharris24@gmail.com. Would love any advice
How hard do you actually work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

kate in Perth, Australia

75 months ago

i get $10 a hour and im only 15 lol. and where i work is, like, deserted anyways ayy so the work is real easyy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

julia in Williamstown, New Jersey

72 months ago

u guys really have it bad i dont think that is 2 far. srry 2 hear about this.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

bear in Piedmont, South Carolina

72 months ago

terra in Mchenry, Illinois said: Hi where i live it is 4.50 an hour plus tips .. I generally make about 150.00 a shift .. My checks are about 140.00 +/- every 2 weeks ... We do not get taxed on our tips how can they tax our tips they don't know what we make LOL thats my bosses statement anyways

Its called IRS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Afton in Billings, Montana

68 months ago

I am not required by my employer to report tips but I want to on my taxes so that I dont get in trouble. How do I do this on my tax form does anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Your boss is making a lot of money. $2.19 an hour, when minumum is now about $7.00, is quite low. When you claim your tips, claim about 70 percent of what you actually get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Girly in Newport News, Virginia

67 months ago

?! Why does everyone think waitresses and waiters have it so bad because we get paid $2-3/hour?? That's *not* saying that for a 40 hour week we are only making between $80 and $120! That is how much you make as an hourly wage, you also make tips, between $15 and $200 per NIGHT depending on where you work, how hard you work, and how well people tip you. You do declare your tips, and yes you are taxed on them, in the end, between your tips and your hourly wage you ARE making more than minumum wage, and being taxed on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

sockergirl in Little Rock, Arkansas

66 months ago

so can your employer change your claimed tips without your knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nono in Newark, Delaware

66 months ago

sockergirl in Little Rock, Arkansas said: so can your employer change your claimed tips without your knowledge.

no they can't. but you should comfront them if you ever have any questions about your pay check and tip claims. there really needs to be an orgaization just for tipped/more specifically restaurant tipped employees for this kind of inquiry. Most people just aren't sure of what their legal rights are and the employers much too often take advantage, knowing this which in some cases reflect on those employees who are hired. If anyone knows of any such organization, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Akron, Ohio

66 months ago

I make $3.55 and hour and I make about $50-$100 a night. I claim about 3/4 of what I make in tips and I had to pay taxes this year! I am not sure whether I am claiming too much of my tips or too little. Does anyone know why I have to pay taxes this year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nono Nannette in Newark, Delaware

66 months ago

Something definitely isn't right. Usually because you claim more taxes it means you should be getting more back. At least that's how it was when I was in the business. In my opinion it seems its your employer. One year I ended up owing money because my employer didn't take enough taxes out. (ie: While I got 100% tips nightly, and got $2.33hr I got money in my pay check) the IRS told me that the employer hadn't been taking (phila)city taxes out. I ended up owing over $700. Check with your employer/their pay roll company STAT! Also, check with your other fellow employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rj92589 in Bloomingdale, Illinois

65 months ago

samantha in Pendleton, Oregon said: isnt that illeagal to only get paid that much? where im from your boss would get like arrested for under paying you. $8 an hour and tips are not taxed. i make like $500-$600 every 2 weeks.

do some ppl realllly not get taxed on tips??? I live in illinois and i get paid 4.65/hr plus tips BUt all of our credit cards are claimed for us plus we have to claim our cash tips! i dont kno if this is legal but everyone claims 10% of their total sales for the day...is this legal? ;-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

food server in White Plains, New York

65 months ago

There was a time when food servers did not have to declare their tips - I used to call it free money. Unfortunately, everyone is required by federal law to declare their tips. States that get away with paying tipped employees less than minimum are assuming that the tips will bring your hourly income up to minimum wage...or above. You receive no income because your tips "eat up" your wage. If you consistly receive zero paychecks you will probably owe money to the IRS at the end of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

rman24 in Benton, Illinois said: where do you people work that you're making $150 a shift? I work at Applebees and typically make 50-60 on a long day shift, and 70-110 on a close night shift Help!!

You need to find employment in a higher end restaurant. People tip on the total of their bill and if, you are good, extra. Do the math. Two steaks @ Applebees for $20 is, at best, a $4 tips. Those two steaks at another restaurant would cost $50+ which should yeild a $10 tip. Stay away from restaurants offerring all you can eat, and other ridiculous specials. They attract people who are very budget minded....unfortunately, many of them cut corners when they tip. And, also, tipping isn't mandatory. If you are a great server you should make great tips. Get out of Applebees, it is essentially a diner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Red Robin is supposed to have a good training program. I, personally, do not care to work for corporate restaurants. Congrats on the tips......Ah, you have to love Mother's Day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Uhm... in Churchton, Maryland

63 months ago

rjones1963 in east peoria, Illinois said: last time i checked the min. wage is over $5.60 an hr. if your boss is going by the book (taxes etc.) he is under paying you,i would check with the dept. of labor.

Minimum wage does not apply to people who get tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Adriana in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

bcd in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Waiters do not get paid min. wage. They get between 2.15-and if your w/ a union anywhere from $8-15/hr. Yes, it sounds correct. If you say you are making 50-100 a shift and you work 5 shifts, then at $75, thats $750 every two weeks. I think you are just inexperienced and with any industry you have to have experience to make $. I have been in the industry for 15 yrs and last year on paper alone I claimed 45,000. I only work 5-6 hr. shifts.
How long are your shifts?
What are the opportunity costs?
How hard do you actually work?

Where do you work, that's pretty good money for waiting tables?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Adriana in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

That is pretty good money for waiting tables! $45K a year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Taylor, Michigan

63 months ago

HELP!!!!! NEED ADVICE...
My employer is paying me $3.50 an hour, and claiming $4.00 and hour. I've worked at this place just over a month, and havent received a paycheck. On most nights I'm lucky to bring home $30. (something is better then nothing right now) in case's like this to where the employer is claiming more then I'm making "WHAT DO YOU DO?" I would like my paycheck. and I want her to stop claiming money I'm not making....
Has anyone had issues like this? WHAT DID YOU DO? The employer hasn't even had me fill out my paperwork for TAXES how can she do this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Cassie in Taylor, Michigan said: HELP!!!!! NEED ADVICE...
My employer is paying me $3.50 an hour, and claiming $4.00 and hour. I've worked at this place just over a month, and havent received a paycheck. On most nights I'm lucky to bring home $30. (something is better then nothing right now) in case's like this to where the employer is claiming more then I'm making "WHAT DO YOU DO?" I would like my paycheck. and I want her to stop claiming money I'm not making....
Has anyone had issues like this? WHAT DID YOU DO? The employer hasn't even had me fill out my paperwork for TAXES how can she do this?

You need to report this person immediately!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

me in Forest Park, Illinois

62 months ago

All servers, are required to pay 8% on their tips. No matter what, otherwise when you file your taxes you will be required to fill out an allocated tip form and you will pay higher taxes for that year. You employer is required by law to show this on your check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Crazy_one in San Antonio, Texas

62 months ago

Crazy_one in San Antonio, Texas said: I too have started working as a waitress and I have a lot of questions. How can I post a question so people can help me answer them?

I'm sorry I can't help you but I too have a similar problem. I make $2.15/hr. plus tips, which for 5 hours I'm lucky if I make $15.00, does the employer have to pay me what I would have received if I made min. wage? For example: $2.15 x 5 = $10.75, plus tips $15.00 = $25.75.
If I was receving just min. wage I would get $5.75 x 5 = $28.75. Since the Hourly wage is more would that mean they would pay me the salary that exceeds that amount? The rest. is fairly new and there is often times when the rest. closes I stay 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. cleaning---is that time still waitress hourly pay?
Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Belleville, Michigan

62 months ago

It's because your either claiming to much or what's far.
thats y your check is small.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Crazy_one in San Antonio, Texas

62 months ago

I'm thinking of "working from home" does anyone have any lagite places that let you get paid for working on your computer? There's a company called "West Telemarketing" that has several positions, but at this time they're not hiring. I just wondered if there were any others?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

benjamin in Mcallen, Texas

62 months ago

Ok? i have a question, is it legal for a company have you claim more than you actually make? For ex: i made $80 on a tuesday, and my boss makes me claim $120 is that legal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nono in Newark, Delaware

62 months ago

Don't know about illegal but it doesn't sound legal, fair, or right and it's certainly shady enough for anyone in their right mind to want to LEAVE that job ASAP! However, it seems there is more to this story than is written. If your boss is telling you to claim money that you have tipped out to bartender, runner, servers assistant, etc then NO you should NOT claim that money. WHY? Because that would mean that THEY are having to claim the tips the server tipped out which means that someone is claiming the same money twice. I'm just speculating here because there isn't enough information to go on. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

benjamin in Mcallen, Texas

62 months ago

i have to claim 15 percent of my sales and i live close to the border and mexicans dont tip 15% they tip 10 so i dont make that much. Every employee working there is questioning about our tip claims.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

latenighter in Fredonia, New York

61 months ago

I make 4.60 a hour, sounds low and can be if things are slow where you work, i agree most people do not tip 15% it is mostly closer to 10%, or even more sadly none at times. Always claim what you make, no more no less. You'll find that overall it evens out. time at a job will bring in more regulars that will come back not just for the food but awesome service! These customers generally tip outrageously and tend to make up for poor tips from other quests. The more you like your job and the more optimistic you are, the more you can make. the paycheck it pretty much just for tax reasons but keep track of your own tips and figure up your average wage....most of the time it is not to shabby.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mika in Vienna, Virginia

61 months ago

Matt in Edinburgh, United Kingdom said: You should work in UK - im in small cafe which pays just slightly above minumum wage at £5.40 (about $10) an hour plus tips. And I do not get taxed on tips and pay only about £12 a month on tax! You guys got it hard in the states

Yes that's because we deal with greedy people running the country

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

student in Johannesburg, South Africa

61 months ago

hi im from south africa and i would like to study overseas at ORU(oral roberts university).... but i would like to do part time waitressing to cover my expenses... is it worth it waiteressing or what career would you suggest? I enjoy cooking, waiteressing, dancing, acting, singing... im excellent with children, im very patient, i am very cheerfull and i would not like to work in a career which involves alchahol!
thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

old timer in White Plains, New York

61 months ago

If you do not want to work in a job that involves alcohol, then stay out of the restaurant business. Get a job as an au pair. However, working in a restaurant is an excellent way to make fast cash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jorgab in Asheville, North Carolina

58 months ago

The government requires every penny you make to be reported to them, and yes they will tax you on your tips. Avoiding paying taxes by not reporting your tips could lead to an audit by the IRS so I sure don't recommend that. What a lot of people don't realize is every employee as well as the employer would be audited if the amount of money made is not reported.
I have been in the business for a while now, and am currently the GM of a restaurant.
What people don't understand is it is not the business that is taxing you, the government taxes the business and its employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Old Timer in White Plains, New York

58 months ago

terra in Mchenry, Illinois said: Hi where i live it is 4.50 an hour plus tips .. I generally make about 150.00 a shift .. My checks are about 140.00 +/- every 2 weeks ... We do not get taxed on our tips how can they tax our tips they don't know what we make LOL thats my bosses statement anyways

Your boss is a jerk. Tips used to be free money, but they are not anymore......you are looking at a future of big fines and penalties. Would not go public on this anymore. The government assumes that you are making at least 8% of your sales in tips. If you are not, then you are in the wrong business. Two things that are absolutes: death and taxes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

That is normal. And yes, you are being taxed on your tips. You have to consider your tips as part of your total income, because that is exactly what they are....your income...hence, income tax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Wild Orchid in Orlando, Florida said: Wow! I didn't know waitresses/waiters had it so bad! It does seem like it's a lot of work for little pay.

Please, do the math. This person is making $150 a night, plus the money in her check....DO THE MATH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Benjamin in Mcallen, Texas

58 months ago

Well my deal, we have to claim more than what we make if not we get written up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Newark, Delaware

58 months ago

I can't believe after all this time, people still don't know right from wrong. Ladies and gentlemen please, if you're going to go into a business KNOW what you're getting into before you get into it. There is no such thing as fast/quick cash these days!
IF you are working in a place where you're getting ALL your tips at the end of the night (verses getting your credit card tips in a pay check)you are responsible (not always the employer/but sometimes the employer) to claim your tips. By law you are responsible I believe for claiming minimum of 8% plus 100% of your credit card tips.(at least that's what it was when I was in the business) Taking in consideration of what you tip out to the appropriate help IE: bar, bus, etc... Rule of thumb, if you are also getting paid less then minimum wage IE: $2.13 or whatever it is now, and you're still getting something in your pay check your boss may not be taking enough tips out for you. And you need to have a conversation with them ASAP! AND QUESTION WHY? Also, this means they are not paying into unemployment, etc. or something to that nature. Incidentally, the more you claim you make the better off you'll be in the end. (unemployment, social security, loans applications, rental applications, credit cards applications, etc) I was in this business for over 20 years. It's gotten bad enough to where I will never do it again. Too many shady employers. I hope this was a little bit helpful. ~end rant~ :P
Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Exactly what I have been trying to get across for months.
However, unemployment does not calculate your tips into the equation. But, if one is into the business for the long run, declaring your tips will definitely benefit your social security income.
All you people that cannot grasp why your paycheck is zero have to do the math.....what did you make in tips? Divide your weekly tip total by the number of hours you worked and that is your hourly net income. I have been in this business for thirty years and average about $30-40/hour after tipping out. Never get a paycheck and, often times, I owe money at the end of the year. I can't complain, that is more than I make working (what non-restaurant people call) a real job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Mika in Vienna, Virginia said: Yes that's because we deal with greedy people running the country

PLEASE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Then you need to get another job and report this employer to the department of labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Mika in Vienna, Virginia said: Yes that's because we deal with greedy people running the country

How old are you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Newark, Delaware

58 months ago

From one old timer to another....
To: "Old Timer in White Plains, NY" Congratulations for your years of doing what you're doing! I applaud you and your feet, and back, neck, wrists, knees, hips... lol You get the idea. Whew! You go!!! I don't know about you but this business isn't what it used to be is it?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Sadly, this business is not what it was. Although you mentioned your lack of interest due to unscrupulous employers, there are some good ones out there. Unfortunately there are alot of hacks. What I find so disenchanting is the lack of manners and restaurant etiquette. Perhaps I am too old fashion, but, what is wrong with manners and the niceties of past......the old are as bad as the young. I had parents look at me as if I had 3 heads when I asked their son to remove his baseball hat, just to mention a simple one.
And the kids coming into this business, in general, have no clue or work ethics.
Yes, my back, neck, feet and various other parts ache at the end of a shift, but my kids are going through college!
So, I shall continue for a few more years. Thanks for commenting.Take care of that back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Although you mentioned your lack of interest due to unscrupulous employers, there are some good ones out there. Unfortunately there are alot of hacks. What I find so disenchanting is the lack of manners and restaurant etiquette. Perhaps I am too old fashion, but, what is wrong with manners and the niceties of past......the old are as bad as the young. I had parents look at me as if I had 3 heads when I asked their son to remove his baseball hat, just to mention a simple one.
And the kids coming into this business, in general, have no clue or work ethics.
Yes, my back, neck, feet and various other parts ache at the end of a shift, but my kids are going through college!
So, I shall continue for a few more years. Thanks for commenting.Take care of that back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

markv in Elizabeth, New Jersey

58 months ago

Waitressing Newbie: It does seem that you are being taxed too much. I'm not an accountant, but work for tips too (delivery). If your state is assuming that you make minimum wage, you're taxed based on that figure. But it seems that since you're losing over 25% in taxes,(compared to the 20% you should be)maybe your employer is reporting that between tips and sal, you're making above minimum wage. Speak to him or her (or the payroll person)about that, and good luck. markv in NJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.