career change

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Jean in Havertown, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

I have worked as a waitress for many years. I need a career change,because this job is getting very old. I can not think of anything I can do,but be a server.Can someone out their give me a few ideas? I would really appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Simcoe, Ontario

83 months ago

maybe if you want to travel... you can work on private charter yachts out of florida... making about $4000/month... or possibly more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Thanks Amy,
I don't like to travel. I was thinking.maybe working with the handicap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carenmo@comcast.net in Abington, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

hi, where in phila. r u? i'm in the northern burbs - i'm a yoga/pilates teacher seeking someone smart to partner with - tell me more about yourself.
hope to hear from u.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Hello! I don't live in Philly. I live at least 30 miles outside of Philly.
I am middle age. And I have been a server for more than 30 year.And experience with everything that goes with the business. I'm just looking for a differant type of job,with benefits.Like I said before,maybe working with handicap children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bcd in Raleigh, North Carolina

81 months ago

good luck! Finance, marketing, hr. There are a million things to do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Kingston, Ontario

81 months ago

If you would like to work with Handicaps, I highly suggest a profession in nursing...you may have to go to school for a few years but you get a lot out of it and you can transfer your waiting/people/social skills over. I just warn you that in the first few years you deal with a lot of crap, but it gets better, just like waiting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

bcd in Raleigh, North Carolina said: good luck! Finance, marketing, hr. There are a million things to do!

Thanks! I need suggestions to choose. I don't have a clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Stoughton, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Think about what you like to do. Do you like to garden? Look for a job in a garden shop. Do you like to read? Maybe work in a book store. There is a site called continuingcareers.com. Check it out for more tips on changing careers.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristie in San Ramon, California

64 months ago

If you have the experience dealing with the public, try hotels. They are always looking for freindly outgoing people. Its a steady job and usually good benefits, also most hotels always look within for promotions. In no time you could become a manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Stephen in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: Think about what you like to do. Do you like to garden? Look for a job in a garden shop. Do you like to read? Maybe work in a book store. There is a site called continuingcareers.com. Check it out for more tips on changing careers.

Good luck!

Hello Stephen,
Sorry I took so long to post. But I didn't get your e-mail 15 months ago. I'm going to check out the website that you sujected. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Kristie in San Ramon, California said: If you have the experience dealing with the public, try hotels. They are always looking for freindly outgoing people. Its a steady job and usually good benefits, also most hotels always look within for promotions. In no time you could become a manager.

Hello Kristie,
Just received your e-mail. Thanks I'll check it out. Jeannie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kema00032 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

60 months ago

Jean in Havertown, Pennsylvania said: I have worked as a waitress for many years. I need a career change,because this job is getting very old. I can not think of anything I can do,but be a server.Can someone out their give me a few ideas? I would really appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you

I hear ya!! I have been a waitress for 22 years and now my back and wrists are giving out on me. I cant think of anything else to do for work either. Maybe some at home internet work. typing or something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

caren ross in Ambler, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

anyone want to partner in business - if yes, what kind? national yoga/pilates - something else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nat in New York, New York

60 months ago

Amy in Simcoe, Ontario said: maybe if you want to travel... you can work on private charter yachts out of florida... making about $4000/month... or possibly more.

Hi Amy,
I love traveling and really want to change my career too.
Can you suggest or give me some more details about the Charter Yachts.
I am already 30 yrs. Is that too old?
Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

szarmachd in Beacon Falls, Connecticut

58 months ago

I too have been a waitress all my life. I recently started a part-time job in Donald Trumps new business venture. I now plan on retiring using this "part-time" job. Thetrumpnetwork.com/Donna. If you would like more information e-mail me @ szarmachd@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeannie in Aston, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Hello! I would like to have more information,please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

szarmachd in East Haven, Connecticut

58 months ago

Go to jointnt.com & click on the diamond. That will give you the basic information about the company. If you are still interested at that point please e-mail me with your e-mail address and I will send you my phone number. I am so happy I dicovered the trump network! I am 42 yrs old and needless to say I am tired of working double shifts!! I am almost to the point where that will no longer be necessary annd I am looking forward to driving a car that Donald Trump is paying for!!!Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you, Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeannie in Aston, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I thank-you very much for your information. But I'm not interested in selling. I'm not a very good salesperson.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

szarmachd in East Haven, Connecticut

58 months ago

jeannie in Aston, Pennsylvania said: I thank-you very much for your information. But I'm not interested in selling. I'm not a very good salesperson.

You are funny...you have been a waitress for 20 ...You ARE a sales person!! :) I hope you are able to find something that suits you..Good luck!! Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

s. stork in North Brunswick, New Jersey

57 months ago

Jean in Havertown, Pennsylvania said: I have worked as a waitress for many years. I need a career change,because this job is getting very old. I can not think of anything I can do,but be a server.Can someone out their give me a few ideas? I would really appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you

A mother of friend of mine was a waitress for many years like you, low pay no benefits. She got a job in the hospital working with the meals delivery initially, then as a nutritionalist. The job paid better, and she also got good benifits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

server make crazy money!! in Surrey, British Columbia

28 months ago

s. stork in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: A mother of friend of mine was a waitress for many years like you, low pay no benefits. She got a job in the hospital working with the meals delivery initially, then as a nutritionalist. The job paid better, and she also got good benifits

Low pay?? no way!! I am a server, I have been serving for 10 years , the reason why we serve for so long, is becouse of the money!! I would tell u how much i make an hour , but u wouldnt belive it !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

s. stork in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: A mother of friend of mine was a waitress for many years like you, low pay no benefits. She got a job in the hospital working with the meals delivery initially, then as a nutritionalist. The job paid better, and she also got good benifits

Thanks for being so kind,and sharing. My update is, I'm still a server (2 days a Week}. I've been writing a novel, which is almost done. That's the easy part. There's a lot of editing,to be done. When everything is said and done. Maybe I'll be a published author.
I have maybe four yrs before I retire. So, working in the hospital, with the meal delivery, sounds great with benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

somewhere, somehow in Simpsonville, South Carolina

18 months ago

server make crazy money!! in Surrey, British Columbia said: Low pay?? no way!! I am a server, I have been serving for 10 years , the reason why we serve for so long, is becouse of the money!! I would tell u how much i make an hour , but u wouldnt belive it !!!

No, you see, it's different in the states. I've been to Canada, and know a lot of people in Canada that are servers. You get paid a lot more on top of the tips. Two totally different worlds. I know servers here who get paid,you won't believe it, 2.33 PER HOUR. Tell me that isn't horse s***.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.