Top waiter/waitress skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every waiter/waitress must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your waiter/waitress expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine

86 months ago

Three skills or traits needed to be an excellent server:
~ Communication ( i.e. Customer service, conversation,
being able to bull-sh*t, and
have interest in things you
don’t really care about.)
~Pleasant personality and/or smile
And lastly,
~Organization/work ethic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Fort Payne, Alabama

67 months ago

is there any more skills needed for a waitress?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy the X Bugsy's Waitress in Alexandria, Virginia

66 months ago

makgrum in Belmar, New Jersey said: I just started working part time in a restaurant in Ortley, New Jersey, as a coffee/dessert server. I work for percentages from the waiters/waitresses just like the bus boys except for the fact that during one nightly shift there might be between 2 to 4 bus boys and I am the only coffee/dessert server for 5+ waiters/waitresses. What I don't understand is the percentages paid out by the waiters. Some workers have said that the bus boys get 20% of the total tips per waiter/waitress and that the coffee/dessert server gets 8% to 10% of the waiters/waitresses tips (example given was if the waiter makes less that $100 in tips that night the coffee/dessert server would get 8% but if they make over $100 in tips that night the coffee/dessert person gets 10% of the tips. I don't know if this is really how it works or not but if the 10% is a fact than that would mean if the waiter/waitress made $200 in tips for the night the ocffee/dessert server would get $20.00. Can you tell me if the percentages for the coffee/dessert server sound correct because sometimes I feel like I'm getting railroaded especially since I really don't know the facts. Thank you.

When I was waiting tables, the norm was to tip the bus boys a percentage of your total sales, not a percentage of how much money you made. However, I factored my earnings into how much I was tipping out, for example, if it was an extremely slammed shift and both me and the bus boy worked really hard all night long, if at the end of the night I had made a good amount of money but my total sales were lower than expected, I would tip him the set percentage from my total sales and then some because I could, and because I felt the bus boy was partly responsible for me making great tips.
If we paid by the exact percentages, it would feel like a crime, however many places work that way, so a lot depends on where you are working that type of job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

latenighter in Fredonia, New York

63 months ago

Cold Snake in Mississauga, Ontario said: I NEVER tip my bus boy. I feel this is a tradition that has gone too far. In fact, it motivates the bus staff that much more to become a waiter or bartender if they are not tipped. Instead I offer them advice and friendship.

Keep in mind that some of restaurants no longer require you to tip out the bus staff...as they are paid a hourly rate unlike servers. some places (like where i work) requires their servers to bus their own tables anyways lol. However if i do need the help from our person washing the dishes or i do have a great tip night it never hurts to share the wealth a lil. keeping that person happy can be the difference in teamwork verses the *it's not my job* attitude that makes people not want to return.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

HIPPY in West Warwick, Rhode Island

62 months ago

I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH A BUSBOY AND A BARTENDER SHOULD MAKE OUT OF YOUR TIPS OR TOTAL SALES? I WANT TO KNOW LAW WISE OR DOES IT DEPEND ON MANAGMENT?
I AM THE ONLY SERVER AND THEIR IS ONLY ONE BUSBOY. OTHER NIGHTS I AM THE ONLY WAITRESS AND THE OWNER IS THE BARTENDER DO I STILL TIP HIM OUT? NEED TO KNOW HOW THE TIPPING WORKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

latenighter in Fredonia, New York

62 months ago

varies by places as any state i would assume. not sure the owner should be accepting tip sharing seems a lil off....but not enough information. like is your buser paid a hourly rate and get tips on top of that? If i were you i would confront management about your concerns, i would say ask another waitress as well...since you are only one on maybe ask a different shift?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

gena in Sonora, California

61 months ago

makgrum in Belmar, New Jersey said: I just started working part time in a restaurant in Ortley, New Jersey, as a coffee/dessert server. I work for percentages from the waiters/waitresses just like the bus boys except for the fact that during one nightly shift there might be between 2 to 4 bus boys and I am the only coffee/dessert server for 5+ waiters/waitresses. What I don't understand is the percentages paid out by the waiters. Some workers have said that the bus boys get 20% of the total tips per waiter/waitress and that the coffee/dessert server gets 8% to 10% of the waiters/waitresses tips (example given was if the waiter makes less that $100 in tips that night the coffee/dessert server would get 8% but if they make over $100 in tips that night the coffee/dessert person gets 10% of the tips. I don't know if this is really how it works or not but if the 10% is a fact than that would mean if the waiter/waitress made $200 in tips for the night the ocffee/dessert server would get $20.00. Can you tell me if the percentages for the coffee/dessert server sound correct because sometimes I feel like I'm getting railroaded especially since I really don't know the facts. Thank you.

you should get a fraction of the busser cause your not bussing your serving dessert

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jdasher in Kent, Ohio

60 months ago

Hey to answer your question, here is how it usually works. In most restaurants they have whats called a tip share. At the end of the night servers have to calculate how much money they must take from their tips and place it into the restaurant tip share. The percentage for a coffee/desert server is typically around 1.5%. The server will multiply their net sales for the night by 1.5% and whatever the outcome is, is what that server will place into the tip share. The managers will divide it amongst the workers who make tips from tip share by the hours they worked. So say Im a server and I sold or had a total net sales of $100 at the end of the night. You receiving (1.5%) would get $1.50 from just that one server. say there are 15 servers at $100 sales each, you get $22.50

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

kema00032 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

60 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every waiter/waitress must have to excel?

I have been a waitress for 22 years. In my personal experience I'd say the 3 things would be:

-PATIENCE you have to be able to work at a fast pace, take alot of crap from customers and employees, and not buckle under the pressure.
-ABILITY TO MULTI-TASK having organization skills is very important even in the most unorganized, chaotic atmosphere.
-PLEASANT PERSONALITY smile-smile-smile. even if you feel like crying or smacking that unreasonable guest that just wont get happy no matter what you do. As soon as you hit that floor you are basically "on stage".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kema00032 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

60 months ago

HIPPY in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH A BUSBOY AND A BARTENDER SHOULD MAKE OUT OF YOUR TIPS OR TOTAL SALES? I WANT TO KNOW LAW WISE OR DOES IT DEPEND ON MANAGMENT?
I AM THE ONLY SERVER AND THEIR IS ONLY ONE BUSBOY. OTHER NIGHTS I AM THE ONLY WAITRESS AND THE OWNER IS THE BARTENDER DO I STILL TIP HIM OUT? NEED TO KNOW HOW THE TIPPING WORKS.

I dont think there is a law concerning tipping bussers/bartenders. I think it is server ethics, company policy and personal preference. bussers take care of the ones that take care of them. If you busy and your station is full of dirty tables your busser will make your station clean up priority if you tip well. Same with bartenders, If you take care of them, they will get your drinks out faster then if you didnt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy the X Bugsy's Waitress in Alexandria, Virginia

60 months ago

kema00032 in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I dont think there is a law concerning tipping bussers/bartenders. I think it is server ethics, company policy and personal preference. bussers take care of the ones that take care of them. If you busy and your station is full of dirty tables your busser will make your station clean up priority if you tip well. Same with bartenders, If you take care of them, they will get your drinks out faster then if you didnt.

I totally agree with the previous comment and wanted to point out how by doing so will help you in the long run. When it's time to tip out, you may not want to part with your hard earned money, however, remember that when drinks come quicker and your tables are turning over more quickly due to a helpful busboy and bartender, in the end you will make more money. Eventually you end up working as a team to make more money together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs.Guess in Denver, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every waiter/waitress must have to excel?

I AM NOT A WAITRESS (ALTHOUGH I DID FINISH THE BEST IN THE AREA BARTENDING SCHOOL, MIXOLOGY WINE INSTITUTE OF PHILADELPHIA)BUT I DO GO TO RESTAURANTS OFTEN WITH MY HUSBAND. FIRST AND FOREMOST REQUIREMENT IN OUR OPINION A WAITRESS (WAITER) ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IS NO OTHER THAN SAFE FOOD HANDLING COMPLYING WITH ALL SANITATIONS NORMS. THE REASON I DO NOT GO TO CERTAIN RESTAURANTS AND ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT TIP A WAITER IS FOR A FEW REASONS: HE (SHE) PUTS FINGERS WHERE MY LIPS ARE GOING TO TOUCH (SPIDERS THE GLASS,FOR EXAMPLE). HE OR SHE TAKES A PLATE BY PUTTING THE FINGERS INSIDE OF IT IN SOME WAY. IN OTHER WORDS, TOUCHES MY FOOD WITH FINGERS, OR TOUCHES PLATES, SILVERWARE, GLASSES, CUPS IN A WAY THAT LEAVES FINGERPRINTS WHERE EITHER FOOD WILL TOUCH, OR MY LIPS WILL TOUCH. I WAS SOOOOOOOOO FRUSTARATED WHEN I PAID A DECENT AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR MY FOOD TO TAKE OUT FROM A RESTAURANT, AND THE WAITRESS/BARTENDER/CHASHIER TOOK A CONTAINER (WHERE SHE WAS GOING TO PUT MY FOOD) BY PUTTING HER FINGERS INSIDE OF IT, WHERE FOOD WILL BE. IT IS JUST COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND VERY UNSAFE, SINCE SHE IS TOUCHING CASH ALL DAY, AND ANSWERES PHONE CALLS; HER FINGERS ARE FAR FROM CLEAN! THIS WAY A CUSTOMER (IN THIS CASE ME!) CAN EASILY CATCH HEPATITES A OR E, AND A NUMBER OF OTHER DISEASES. SO, HERE YOU HAVE IT GUYS, IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS, AND NOT MISS ON QUITE A FEW TIPS, SOME PEOPLE ARE VERY PICKY ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS. PLUS YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE A RESPONSIBLE,PROFESSIONAL WAITER (WAITRESS) WHO HANDLES FOOD AND DRINS AND SERVES THEM TO THE CUSTOMERS IN THE SAFEST WAY POSSIBLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

cantbelieveit in Middletown, Connecticut

59 months ago

Mrs.Guess in Denver, Pennsylvania said: I AM NOT A WAITRESS (ALTHOUGH I DID FINISH THE BEST IN THE AREA BARTENDING SCHOOL, MIXOLOGY WINE INSTITUTE OF PHILADELPHIA)BUT I DO GO TO RESTAURANTS OFTEN WITH MY HUSBAND. FIRST AND FOREMOST REQUIREMENT IN OUR OPINION A WAITRESS (WAITER) ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IS NO OTHER THAN SAFE FOOD HANDLING COMPLYING WITH ALL SANITATIONS NORMS. THE REASON I DO NOT GO TO CERTAIN RESTAURANTS AND ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT TIP A WAITER IS FOR A FEW REASONS: HE (SHE) PUTS FINGERS WHERE MY LIPS ARE GOING TO TOUCH (SPIDERS THE GLASS,FOR EXAMPLE). HE OR SHE TAKES A PLATE BY PUTTING THE FINGERS INSIDE OF IT IN SOME WAY. IN OTHER WORDS, TOUCHES MY FOOD WITH FINGERS, OR TOUCHES PLATES, SILVERWARE, GLASSES, CUPS IN A WAY THAT LEAVES FINGERPRINTS WHERE EITHER FOOD WILL TOUCH, OR MY LIPS WILL TOUCH. I WAS SOOOOOOOOO FRUSTARATED WHEN I PAID A DECENT AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR MY FOOD TO TAKE OUT FROM A RESTAURANT, AND THE WAITRESS/BARTENDER/CHASHIER TOOK A CONTAINER (WHERE SHE WAS GOING TO PUT MY FOOD) BY PUTTING HER FINGERS INSIDE OF IT, WHERE FOOD WILL BE. IT IS JUST COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND VERY UNSAFE, SINCE SHE IS TOUCHING CASH ALL DAY, AND ANSWERES PHONE CALLS; HER FINGERS ARE FAR FROM CLEAN! THIS WAY A CUSTOMER (IN THIS CASE ME!) CAN EASILY CATCH HEPATITES A OR E, AND A NUMBER OF OTHER DISEASES. SO, HERE YOU HAVE IT GUYS, IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS, AND NOT MISS ON QUITE A FEW TIPS, SOME PEOPLE ARE VERY PICKY ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS. PLUS YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE A RESPONSIBLE,PROFESSIONAL WAITER (WAITRESS) WHO HANDLES FOOD AND DRINS AND SERVES THEM TO THE CUSTOMERS IN THE SAFEST WAY POSSIBLE.

Wow....ok I am a server. It's people like you who make me hate my job so much. I do agree that sanitation is very important, but do you think we don't wash our hands? What do you think the straw is for? And hepatitis? Really? Maybe a cold at best. If your that paranoid, save your money and stay home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

server in White Plains, New York

59 months ago

kema00032 in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I have been a waitress for 22 years. In my personal experience I'd say the 3 things would be:

-PATIENCE you have to be able to work at a fast pace, take alot of crap from customers and employees, and not buckle under the pressure.
-ABILITY TO MULTI-TASK having organization skills is very important even in the most unorganized, chaotic atmosphere.
-PLEASANT PERSONALITY smile-smile-smile. even if you feel like crying or smacking that unreasonable guest that just wont get happy no matter what you do. As soon as you hit that floor you are basically "on stage".

I agree. One also needs to anticipate the customers needs before he or she realizes them.
Most importantly, always greet your customer the minute they are seated no matter how slammed you are. A simple "good evening, I will be right with you will suffice."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

latenighter in Fredonia, New York said: Keep in mind that some of restaurants no longer require you to tip out the bus staff...as they are paid a hourly rate unlike servers. some places (like where i work) requires their servers to bus their own tables anyways lol. However if i do need the help from our person washing the dishes or i do have a great tip night it never hurts to share the wealth a lil. keeping that person happy can be the difference in teamwork verses the *it's not my job* attitude that makes people not want to return.

You get what you pay for. Coworkers complain that I always get the best bussers...they request me, because I tip them generously. The better the busser, the better the service and the faster the tables turn....And, guess what!!!!!the more money you make....I believe in sharing the wealth. Being greedy only leads to mediocrity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tip The Server in Duluth, Minnesota

59 months ago

Tip The Server.com is a forum for waitresses. There is another one out there to. I would ask some people on there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

annoyed in Middletown, Connecticut

57 months ago

I agree. The bus boys are getting paid minimum wage like all other minimum wage jobs. All the jobs I have ever worked at they are young kids that fool around and I end up cleaning my own tables anyways. Why should I give them my money? I don't think they deserve it and think it should be an option. Don't get me wrong if I feel they did a good job I will tip them out, but only then. Otherwise, I will keep my hard earned money to myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Clinton, Iowa

57 months ago

Cold Snake in Mississauga, Ontario said: I NEVER tip my bus boy. I feel this is a tradition that has gone too far. In fact, it motivates the bus staff that much more to become a waiter or bartender if they are not tipped. Instead I offer them advice and friendship.

You should tip!

I tip bus boys but it's usually just exact percentage, because bussers make above minimum wage... so I think they're pretty well off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Clinton, Iowa

57 months ago

server in White Plains, New York said: If you knew what you were doing, this women would not bother you.

Agreed. I'm always very careful to make sure I don't touch anything in any way to make it unsanitary... But really, our hands are DISGUSTING no matter how much you sanitize/wash them they're constantly touching nasty stuff so we really do need to be pretty careful about that sort of thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

X Bugsy's waitress Cathy in Alexandria, Virginia

57 months ago

Bus boys don't make more than minimum wage, they make a little more than a server does, per hour, which as you know, isnt much at all. At least that's how it's always been as far as the jobs I've worked and just as we depend on tips to make up for almost nothing hourly, the bus boys depend on our tip outs also. Regardless, being a server you should know how annoying it is when people are stingy with tipping. Your bus boys may not be doing much because they already know you aren't going to make it worth their while. A bus boy needs to feel like he or she is being compensated for their hard work, just as you do as a server. I always took extra care of my bus boys and I did so with the goal of making more money. If you have the help of a bus boy, you're able to turn your tables over more quickly, you're able to give better quality service and in turn make more money. Something that always helped for me was to never ask the bus boy to do anything unless I couldn't do it myself right at that minute and when I did ask, I was always respectful and polite. Also, it's good to make sure the bus boy understands he or she has a part in making more money. If you go about this right, in a respectful way, it's like having an assistant while you work. When it works out, everything runs more smoothly, you don't have to run around as much, and you're able to tip out the bus boy a nice amount at the end of your shift while still walking out with your fair share. The bus boy will realize what's expected of him or her to make more money, instead of just depending on the hourly wage. Also, if you work with many different bus boys, word gets around and the other bus boys will want to work with you in order to make more money. Be a team with the goal to make as much money as possible together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

annoyed in Middletown, Connecticut

57 months ago

Actually, everywhere I have worked they get paid minimum wage, the same as if they were working in a grocery store. They are all high school kids who waste away there money anyways. We automatically tip them out at the end of the night, and it is not much thank God cuz I don't think they deserve a penny. I have bills to pay and work hard for my money, I don't want to give it to someone who does nothing for me. If it was up to me I would get rid of them completly and I will go on bussing my own tables as usual. Nothing will change, I know how to do my job and I am faster at it then they'll ever be. I'm just saying, depending on who and where you work, depends on the quality of the bus people. They do a good job and I'll be more than happy to tip them out, but if there not, I think it should be optional and I make the decsion myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

X Bugsy's waitress Cathy in Alexandria, Virginia

57 months ago

I think for the most part, it does work the the way I've mentioned in my previous posts. It wasn't that long ago since I waited tables; the last restaurant job I worked, was last November in Washington DC. This whole discrepancy may be due to different ways in different areas. The good thing is, if anyone ever moves to the DC area, now they know how it works here and hopefully won't be misunderstood.
Kema from St Paul, I didn't think I was going to end up waiting more tables and so I just kept my name the same, so people would know who was posting:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

carmen in Brasov, Romania

56 months ago

server in White Plains, New York said: Apparently, the majority of people posting here are not professional servers. Professional servers know it is to their advantage to tip the bussers. If your bussers are not working up to par, take one aside and let them know there is money in it for them if they work....direct them and train them, if necessary,....then, you let them know the less you have to ask them to do what is needed, the more money they will make. It is called incentive and works like a charm. Of course, you need to pay them out properly.
As for cantbelieveit.....having been a server for more years than I care to remember, there are an astonishing number of hacks out there that serve glasses with their fingers on the rim, plates with fingers in the food, with nail extensions, etc, etc,.....not to mention dirty fingernails. How many times do you wash your hands in a shift? I just saw a salad prep person walk out of a bathroom stall, bypassing the sink and return to her prep area-now if you do not think that is a potential case of hepatitis then you have not done your homework. This woman is a germaphobe and for good reason. If what she says does not apply to you than it should not bother you. And Alicia, chill out.

Chill out people, I've been working for 8 years on the cruise ships, I know everything about bars, everything about USPH, it is impossible to wash hands everytime you pick up a diry glass, or you touch a door, a table, you maybe shake hands , so it is dirty! I've seen on top of my food even the bandage of a hurted finger !!!
Believe me, they can even spit on your plate ...so, better be kind as a customer!! This is the way these days... Do not pretend you never heard about it!
About tipping, if you are happy, make others happy too. I think we get more if we give also! About service, there are quait a few good advices on this forum, plus we can all learn by getting experience, so good luck everybody! God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Exactly, Carmen.....But you have to deal with the customers. Without these people, we would not have our jobs. Many are unpleasant ~ some, downright nasty ~ but so many are lovely.
We have the potential of making excellent money and I do. You need to deal with all of the personalities graciously....in the end, your bank account will reflect your ability to be diplomatic.

As for people spitting in food....the people that do so should go to jail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

You are very right, I just said "be kind as a customer" because I 've heard and I know how the waiters are reacting behind the bars/restaurants....About the guests, I always believed they are my bread and water, no matter if there are unhappy customers , too. Generraly speaking they are kind and many of them helped me to go trough my work day by day! I've been working on the cruise ships where the cruises could be for a few days, a week, 10 days, even 2 weeks. For me I alawys found customers which treated me like family during the time they were on board, even later , when they went home, we kept in touch and I have many examples like this! I used to dedicate myself to work and to my friends customers. Even I was in break, passing by a bar on the ship, on the way to my cabin or rectreation crew place or crew mess, if I see a guest which I know or they need help or they want a little chat, I never ignored them, many times I even lost my breaks for them, but I never regret it. I am a people lover, this is what you need for this job, they feel when you are real or when you are faked. So, I am very happy to make the others happy, even for a few minutes. I've met hundreds of thousaands people , each cruise a new croud, and yes, I was on stage every day, lots of hours daily, lots. I was on stage even for real a few times , chosen by guests as the employee of the cruise. So, they made me happy too. Vice a versa, it works both ways. So, we have to be more polite, more understanding, more loving, less egoist! You give, you get, believe me!
As by now, I am looking for a job in the same industry. I do have university degree, but no money at the time I gratuated (10 years ago) so, I left on the ships, where I could see the world (very hard thow, very tireing, you have to be strong, not everybody can do it), meet people from all over the world, experience of life etc. I am looking for a summer job, somehwere in Europe, Palma de Mallorca, Spanish islands or even USA...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

There are many things I've learned by doing this job and how to do it!
One more thing, but not the last, greet the customers, when the come and when they leave, tell them you are waiting for them back, make them your regular customers !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Big Billy in Thatcher, Arizona

56 months ago

i wasa water at mc donnalds but they fired me cus i was to gental with custemerz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

blr1372 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

55 months ago

That is the most retarded thing I have EVER heard. Im actually gonna print it and hang it up at the restaurant I work at, and then Im gonna pass it out to every server, bartender and busperson I know. Though a busser usuallys gets paid more by the hr than a server, they still earn tips and count on them just like you rely on your tips. They also help make your job alot easier, therefore you give better service and make better tips (if the BB is doing thier job like they should be.) If your a server and your making awesome tips at a restaurant that gets really busy.the BB is the one helping you earn such good tips. Have you ever worked a crazy busy nite without a busser? You were responsiable to carry all the dirty dishes back and the clean ones back out and then reset the empty tables while your section was full and you have one table whos drinks ar empty the other tables food is up and then you get a new table of 6 that need to be greeted and watered, meaning everyone gets a glass of water as soon as seated. Youd be stressed as hell and your service would suck so your tips would suck and youd hate your job. See!!! on a shift like that the busser coulda eliminated so many steps for you. A good busser earns a percentage of those kickass tip you make. What if you busted your ass on a table of 8 and they didnt tip you because they felt its your job to serve them and that it might motivate you to get a college degree and then go work at McDonalds. doesnt make sense huh? Noone needs By stiffin the busser your only hurting your money, they wont help you if you dont tip them.
Nothing is gonna "MOTIVATE" someone to "work towards" becoming a Server. Most people serve as a last resort

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TigerLily in New Albany, Ohio

55 months ago

I haven't served in years, but back when I did in high school, we tipped out our bussers $2 per hour of our shift. They were also paid minimum wage. It never really bothered me. I also made a $3.15 hourly rate but with tips alone I was averaging $15 per hour. As many have said, your bussers can be a Godsend on a busy night and when you have parties of 6 or more. Show them you appreciate them. If they aren't doing their job, pull them aside and TELL them! If they don't step it up, go to your manager. It's what management is there for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Big Willie style in Boynton Beach, Florida

49 months ago

Cathy the X Bugsy's Waitress in Alexandria, Virginia said: When I was waiting tables, the norm was to tip the bus boys a percentage of your total sales, not a percentage of how much money you made. However, I factored my earnings into how much I was tipping out, for example, if it was an extremely slammed shift and both me and the bus boy worked really hard all night long, if at the end of the night I had made a good amount of money but my total sales were lower than expected, I would tip him the set percentage from my total sales and then some because I could, and because I felt the bus boy was partly responsible for me making great tips.
If we paid by the exact percentages, it would feel like a crime, however many places work that way, so a lot depends on where you are working that type of job.

wow thats so helpful you are such a fine young woman if you aren't married by now I'd snatch you up if you would let me lol,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hanna in Saugerties, New York

49 months ago

I was the only busgirl in highschool for two waitresses. I had to get drinks for customers, bring out the appetizers, bring them their checks, refill their srinks, set and clean the tables. Basically everyhitng except take the orders. I was tipped 10-20% of what the waitress made in tips and I also got a small shift pay. The amount I got tipped depended on how hard I worked. If I was just standing around I would get closer to the the 10% range.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Berlin, Wisconsin

43 months ago

annoyed in Middletown, Connecticut said: I agree. The bus boys are getting paid minimum wage like all other minimum wage jobs. All the jobs I have ever worked at they are young kids that fool around and I end up cleaning my own tables anyways. Why should I give them my money? I don't think they deserve it and think it should be an option. Don't get me wrong if I feel they did a good job I will tip them out, but only then. Otherwise, I will keep my hard earned money to myself.

If by chance, you do get lucky enough to have one of them help you out, then if you make it clear to express your gratitude toward him/her by tipping, then I am sure you make attract more assistance. You will end up making more money in the long run because tables will turn faster. One thing to keep in mind: Some people become motivated through a positive structure, and by your going out of the way to let it be known that thier helping you out made a huge difference, they will work twice as hard to help you again. You can't always expect others to do what may seem the right thing to do...sometimes honey works better than vinegar:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Torontoserver28 in Toronto, Ontario

43 months ago

You must be able to prioritize, problem solve and above all, remain calm and organized in a high-volume situation. You must be professional, pleasant, and quick moving. People seem to forget the latter. You gotta hustle and work hard for the money. thats why i love being a server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Annoyed in Summit, New Jersey

41 months ago

So I just started my first food industry job as a waiter in a new restaurant. Obviously due to lack of experience I don't know much but this situation doesn't make much sense to me. This restaurant has the servers/waiters tipping the busboys out 5% of sales. If I am being tipped 20% of the check that means the busboy gets 25% of my tips at the then of the night. At this place busboys get 5 an hour and I get 2.13. Lunch shift today I made 50 in tips and had to give the busboy $12 with the same tip from the other server and after hourly pay the busboy walked out with $57 and I walked with $47. Am I incorrect to see something drastically wrong with that picture? I absolutely think the busboy should be tipped out by all means but I was thinking more along the lines of 15% of tips, maybe 20% if they were particularly helpful. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

collegegirl209 in Modesto, California

38 months ago

I waited tables for 19... yes, nineteen years. Here is my .02

1.) Be able to know how to count back money. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it and learn how asap.

2.) Be able to know how to deal with rude customers. I'd say that I only encountered about 10% of the entire public (that I waited on) being rude, but you want to be prepared and not crying to yourself over by the POS. There are pages and pages of customers posting comments about bad service on Yelp. You have to know how to deal with people like this before they go and post stuff about you for your boss to see.

3.) Here's some important ones grouped together... Learn tray service; small ones for drinks and large ones for entrees... Don't steal tables. Stay in your section or consult with the hostess... Don't worry too much about the bitchy "seasoned" servers that think they're god's gift to serving (rolling eyes). I was one sometimes and we're harmless, basically just pissed that we are still waiting tables after all these years... Also, you will encounter mouthy-bullying cooks and bartenders. Ignore it. You're not getting paid enough to go head-to-head with that crap.

Lastly, just work as a server/bartender/hostess as a temp gig to get you through college or if you can't find something perm (because of the economy) and focus on the larger career goal ahead. :) I finally got out and will never go back. There's a reason why there's website called BitterWaitress.com.... lol. Good luck, it's totally worth it while you work your way through school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sreneedyer in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

38 months ago

annoyed in Middletown, Connecticut said: I agree. The bus boys are getting paid minimum wage like all other minimum wage jobs. All the jobs I have ever worked at they are young kids that fool around and I end up cleaning my own tables anyways. Why should I give them my money? I don't think they deserve it and think it should be an option. Don't get me wrong if I feel they did a good job I will tip them out, but only then. Otherwise, I will keep my hard earned money to myself.

Here's the thing though, there is a reason that I am a server and it is probably very much the same in your case. I could not pay my bills if I worked for minimum wage. I usually take home anywhere from $15-$20 per hour AFTER I TIP OUT. So try and think about the people who just arent cut out to be servers. They have to work for minimum wage and they have bills too. I have never met anyone who works for minimum wage who was content with their paycheck... So for Karma's sake share the wealth.... It all comes back around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

alexscott in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

37 months ago

Know the basics. There are great books out there like "Successful Waiting" howtowait.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lala in Joliet, Illinois

36 months ago

ha totally agree with that! If you are that anal you need to stay home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

david in Alexandria, Virginia

36 months ago

In Alero's restaurant, let's say a waiter makes 1000 on sales, he gives 3.6% of his sales to the bus boy, which is 36 dollars. and 1.8 to the food runner, and nothing to the bartenders. Waiters don't get a salary, only bus boys get paid 5.00 per hour. Waiters usually give extra money, so the bus boy will always do a better job, and give the waiter greater tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanie in Modesto, California

36 months ago

Isn't it illegal to not pay someone a salary/by the hour? Unless the owners are paying someone "under the table".... which spells big trouble. In Cali, servers get min wage plus tips, according to the law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stylz17 in Hollywood, Florida

34 months ago

Ok iv been a server for about 2 years. i make roughly a $100 dollars a night during the week. and on the weekend i make $200 a day. heres a couple tips that iv learned that definitly helped me.

1.Learn to keep your cool. when ever u get slammed and your stressed you cant let it get to you. take a deep breath and try to get to your next task as soon as possibe.

2.High sales- sales has ALOT to do with how much money you make. for instance i sell roughly $1,000 a day for my reasturant. 10% of that is a $100 dollars right? get your sales as high as possible and try to be the best. you will be recognized by your co workers.

3.Take big tables.- Big tables means bigger checks which means bigger tips. DONT take little kids tho that look under 18 most likely they only have like 10 dollars and wants some fries.

4.Tip your buss boy/server assistant.- no matter what you its always good to tip them between 5-10 dollars a night. the reason for that is because he will clean your tables fast and then you can seat mor guests in your section to make more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lesley Bennett in Warwick, Rhode Island

21 months ago

1) Knowledge of Presentation
2)Compassionate to all guests rude or otherwise " WOW" Them in hotels we use this phrase
3)Respect all staff including the hostess or host. Without them you wouldn't be affording bills :)

1) Be Enthusiastic but not overly enthusiastic
2) Communicate ( Live It, Love It, Learn It,) is my motto
3)Be aware of your surroundings
4)Assist others as they would Assist you
5)Be Aggressive but not overly aggressive to other servers
6) Be honest...example: A new waiter/waitress comes in to get hired. You hear that person has been in the Hospitality Industry for over 25 years. You find out that person can't handle 4 tables at once. It makes you look bad.
7) If you have something to say to the host/hostess then say it don't talk in the kitchen behind their back not cool and purely unprofessional

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harsh Truths in London, United Kingdom

16 months ago

Mrs.Guess in Denver, Pennsylvania said: I AM NOT A WAITRESS (ALTHOUGH I DID FINISH THE BEST IN THE AREA BARTENDING SCHOOL, MIXOLOGY WINE INSTITUTE OF PHILADELPHIA)BUT I DO GO TO RESTAURANTS OFTEN WITH MY HUSBAND. FIRST AND FOREMOST REQUIREMENT IN OUR OPINION A WAITRESS (WAITER) ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IS NO OTHER THAN SAFE FOOD HANDLING COMPLYING WITH ALL SANITATIONS NORMS. THE REASON I DO NOT GO TO CERTAIN RESTAURANTS AND ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT TIP A WAITER IS FOR A FEW REASONS: HE (SHE) PUTS FINGERS WHERE MY LIPS ARE GOING TO TOUCH (SPIDERS THE GLASS,FOR EXAMPLE). HE OR SHE TAKES A PLATE BY PUTTING THE FINGERS INSIDE OF IT IN SOME WAY. IN OTHER WORDS, TOUCHES MY FOOD WITH FINGERS, OR TOUCHES PLATES, SILVERWARE, GLASSES, CUPS IN A WAY THAT LEAVES FINGERPRINTS WHERE EITHER FOOD WILL TOUCH, OR MY LIPS WILL TOUCH. I WAS SOOOOOOOOO FRUSTARATED WHEN I PAID A DECENT AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR MY FOOD TO TAKE OUT FROM A RESTAURANT, AND THE WAITRESS/ BARTENDER /CHASHIER TOOK A CONTAINER (WHERE SHE WAS GOING TO PUT MY FOOD) BY PUTTING HER FINGERS INSIDE OF IT, WHERE FOOD WILL BE. IT IS JUST COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND VERY UNSAFE, SINCE SHE IS TOUCHING CASH ALL DAY, AND ANSWERES PHONE CALLS; HER FINGERS ARE FAR FROM CLEAN! THIS WAY A CUSTOMER (IN THIS CASE ME!) CAN EASILY CATCH HEPATITES A OR E, AND A NUMBER OF OTHER DISEASES. SO, HERE YOU HAVE IT GUYS, IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS , AND NOT MISS ON QUITE A FEW TIPS, SOME PEOPLE ARE VERY PICKY ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS. PLUS YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE A RESPONSIBLE,PROFESSIONAL WAITER (WAITRESS) WHO HANDLES FOOD AND DRINS AND SERVES THEM TO THE CUSTOMERS IN THE SAFEST WAY POSSIBLE.

Hilarious!! I'll make note to buy a hand sanitizer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.