WHERE ARE THE JOBS FOR EX-OFFENDERS IN GEORGIA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

stephanl in Griffin, Georgia

54 months ago

I am an ex-offender from Detroit, who moved to Georgia in 2008. I have been off parole now for 7 years and just can not find a job in Georgia. I mean is there any brothers out there who are in the same position that I am in. What can we do to get employment in Georgia. Or are there any brothers out there who are willing to band together and start a business. Fill free to respond, I have realized that we live in a vicious society when it pertains to ex-offenders, now is the time for all of the brothers who are in this vicious cycle to band together, I really believe that we can make a positive difference if we work together. I am quite sure that there are some brothers out there who have some skills in Home improvement or Maintenance can we get together and talk about it!

Please fill free to respond to this message and lets get this thing started! ASP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Sarasota, Florida

50 months ago

Stephani, I am also an ex-offender. As you say it is a vicious place at times. At first i was able to get a job,now with the economic times we now live it is very hard and if we are lucky enough to get a job, it does not last very long. So with that said,i now make the system pay for my life. We are now as ex-offenders considered "Displaced Minorities"So that in sort means we are able to obtain Pel Grants for school,Small Business loans, Federal Assistance,Food Stamps,Medical, you name it we can get. I have been out now for three years, i now own my own business and enjoy life,Praise God for all of it. and that is how to go about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

devyjefferson in Orlando, Florida

49 months ago

well, I am 50 years old, still unemployed,been an ex-offender for 16 years,lost my fiance(sole provider)a year ago, and homeless.The cycle doesn't seem to do me any good.I signed up for a pell grant and told them my circumstances with no responce.So tell me what should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Oak Lawn, Illinois

48 months ago

Steve in Sarasota, Florida said: Stephani, I am also an ex-offender. As you say it is a vicious place at times. At first i was able to get a job,now with the economic times we now live it is very hard and if we are lucky enough to get a job, it does not last very long. So with that said,i now make the system pay for my life. We are now as ex-offenders considered "Displaced Minorities"So that in sort means we are able to obtain Pel Grants for school,Small Business loans, Federal Assistance,Food Stamps,Medical, you name it we can get. I have been out now for three years, i now own my own business and enjoy life,Praise God for all of it. and that is how to go about it.

Not in IL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Oak Lawn, Illinois

48 months ago

Not in Illinois. Here we've got nothing comming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

He lives in Atlanta too in Minneapolis, Minnesota

46 months ago

Stephen,
My husband has been in Atlanta since his release from prison in PA in 2002. Most of the jobs he has worked have been in restaurants, and most lasted a few months at the most. If it wasn't b/c his background came up, it was b/c of a lack of experience, not only in the field but how to interact with others.
He actually got funded to go to school through WIA for CDL training. After starting school, they threatened to kick him out for having a background. When that didn't work (b/c the dept of labor was paying it) the director had one of his instructors start a fight, and is trying to pin it on my husband (yeah, who is really trying to screw his future by doing something like THAT on top of everything else he has to deal with). So now he can't continue school until that incident plays out in court, and the Dept of Labor won't help further until he proves he didn't do anything wrong.
I know someone said you can get food stamps and medicaid and stuff, but that's on the basis that you're not married w/kids like we are. When my income is included (even though it's been the ONLY income for nearly two years now) we make too much to qualify for any state assistance.
So as you can see, here I am AGAIN trying to find assistance for my husband. There is Vocational Rehabilitation through the state, but they only assist if you have a physical or mental disability that prevents you from working. If you happen to be on antidepressants or under a psychiatrist's care, you can qualify for that (unfortunately my husband is not lol). There is also Goodwill, that helps with training and job placement. We tried to go through them in the past but at that time they required my husband to find a sponsor to pay for the programs, which we couldn't find. We'll try them again. Other than that, everything is for parolees/probationees/or the not yet released. If you're still trying to "put something together" let us know, he'd be interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Jacobs in Grand Prairie, Texas

46 months ago

Hi , I am Job Jacobs. When I first got out of prison ,convicted in 1998 , got out in 2001,
my GOD had bless me with jobs, good ones, even after I finish my sentences in 2003, never been in trouble sences, even though it's 2010, I can't complain, because when I had a job I was promoted on each job,after 90 days,to leadmens to supervisor,and was ask to go into managemnt, I did not ask for it , it find me, because I work harder and smarter then anyone
in the company, by loving to serve people at work ,home,charity,etc. with joy.
I said all of this , even though I went to trucking driver school(W.I.A), I was turn down,enterveiws was dis-appointed , because the company I work for from 1-6-6 to 2-18-9, had
close down, I had no hard filling toward them , because I have hope, in my GOD.
King David said I never seen the rigtheous forsaken , neither their seed.
Trouble don't last always,know one thing , God is able to turn it all around at any time.
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning, just look for God to work in your favior every day, I believe God got a blessing for us, you and me, I smell it,can you,
and it smell umm good. I will be praying for us all, that something good is going to happen.

If anyone see this posted letter,that are able to give mens like us a chance, that willing to work hard,committed,faithful and dependable as well as reliable,etc. e-mail us back
Here what I can do drive,supervise professional and respectful,delivery routes,forklift,manage,train or be train in anything last then time manidated,tractor trailer,merchantdizer,musican piano and organist,etc.,vendor routes,etc.
If its a job I can do it, big or small and far and near.
You can write me back on my e-mail,thanks .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

excon34 in Brunswick, Georgia

44 months ago

the system is set up for us excons to fail but we have to stay stong,keep pushing forward.excons can be bond through the department of labor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CARD_0516 in New York, New York

38 months ago

HERE IN NEW YORK WE HAVE WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS AND WILDCATS....PROGRAMS GEARED TO ASSISTING EX-FELONS...

TRY TO CONTACT YOUR COMMUNITY BOARD IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD OR YOUR LOCAL STATE AND CITY OFFICIALS.... THEY HAVE INFORMATION ON THESE PROGRAMS OR SIMILAR ONES.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CARD_0516 in New York, New York

38 months ago

THE PERSON MAKING THIS STATEMENT IS CORRECT.........YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE SYSTEM WORK FOR YOU.....SEEK OUT NETWORKING STRATEGIES........SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE AND REST ASSURE POSITIVE THINGS WILL HAPPEN......TRUST IN GOD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MATT in Bronx, New York

37 months ago

For the people in Georgia who need help, see the below website. This company is given govenrment grants to helpout ex-offenders and others.

www.grantassociatesinc.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LAWRENCE ALLEN in Bradenton, Florida

35 months ago

Steve in Sarasota, Florida said: Stephani, I am also an ex-offender. As you say it is a vicious place at times. At first i was able to get a job,now with the economic times we now live it is very hard and if we are lucky enough to get a job, it does not last very long. So with that said,i now make the system pay for my life. We are now as ex-offenders considered "Displaced Minorities"So that in sort means we are able to obtain Pel Grants for school,Small Business loans, Federal Assistance,Food Stamps,Medical, you name it we can get. I have been out now for three years, i now own my own business and enjoy life,Praise God for all of it. and that is how to go about it.
IM INTERESTED AND FINDING ABOUT THESE BENIFITS/ SMALL BUSINESS LOANS AND ALL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

snappy in Decatur, Georgia

34 months ago

stephanl in Griffin, Georgia said: I am an ex-offender from Detroit, who moved to Georgia in 2008. I have been off parole now for 7 years and just can not find a job in Georgia. I mean is there any brothers out there who are in the same position that I am in. What can we do to get employment in Georgia. Or are there any brothers out there who are willing to band together and start a business. Fill free to respond, I have realized that we live in a vicious society when it pertains to ex-offenders, now is the time for all of the brothers who are in this vicious cycle to band together, I really believe that we can make a positive difference if we work together. I am quite sure that there are some brothers out there who have some skills in Home improvement or Maintenance can we get together and talk about it!

Please fill free to respond to this message and lets get this thing started! ASP

Yes indeed I am so very interested. Have lots of skills in home improvement and construction. I really need help, my family is on the line. I am trying to reamin positive, But its hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dmmmbaddproductions@gmail.com in Snellville, Georgia

20 months ago

stephanl in Griffin, Georgia said: I am an ex-offender from Detroit, who moved to Georgia in 2008. I have been off parole now for 7 years and just can not find a job in Georgia. I mean is there any brothers out there who are in the same position that I am in. What can we do to get employment in Georgia. Or are there any brothers out there who are willing to band together and start a business . Fill free to respond, I have realized that we live in a vicious society when it pertains to ex-offenders, now is the time for all of the brothers who are in this vicious cycle to band together, I really believe that we can make a positive difference if we work together. I am quite sure that there are some brothers out there who have some skills in Home improvement or Maintenance can we get together and talk about it!

In regards to ex felons applying for employment, I agree that we must band together. I am willing to assemble with you. As an ex-felon myself, I too find it hard to find employment. I think that the companies that will not hire us, will should no longer purchase or use there services. But if anyone interested in assembling, please feel free to contact Mike at: 4zero4-five45-0four0seven

dmmmbaddproductions@gmail.com in Snellville, Georgia

20 months ago

Job Jacobs in Grand Prairie, Texas said: Hi , I am Job Jacobs. When I first got out of prison ,convicted in 1998 , got out in 2001,
my GOD had bless me with jobs, good ones, even after I finish my sentences in 2003, never been in trouble sences, even though it's 2010, I can't complain, because when I had a job I was promoted on each job,after 90 days,to leadmens to supervisor,and was ask to go into managemnt, I did not ask for it , it find me, because I work harder and smarter then anyone
in the company, by loving to serve people at work ,home,charity,etc. with joy.
I said all of this , even though I went to trucking driver school(W.I.A), I was turn down,enterveiws was dis-appointed , because the company I work for from 1-6-6 to 2-18-9, had
close down, I had no hard filling toward them , because I have hope, in my GOD.
King David said I never seen the rigtheous forsaken , neither their seed.
Trouble don't last always,know one thing , God is able to turn it all around at any time.
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning, just look for God to work in your favior every day, I believe God got a blessing for us, you and me, I smell it,can you,
and it smell umm good. I will be praying for us all, that something good is going to happen.

If anyone see this posted letter,that are able to give mens like us a chance, that willing to work hard,committed,faithful and dependable as well as reliable,etc. e-mail us back
Here what I can do drive,supervise professional and respectful, delivery routes, forklift ,manage,train or be train in anything last then time manidated,tractor trailer,merchantdizer,musican piano and organist,etc.,vendor routes,etc.
If its a job I can do it, big or small and far and near.
You can write me back on my e-mail,thanks .

Well you definitely sound like a white guy who got back in the work force with no problem. This is not the case for Blackmen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MR. DANIEL INGRAM in Lawrenceville, Georgia

19 months ago

stephanl in Griffin, Georgia said: I am an ex-offender from Detroit, who moved to Georgia in 2008. I have been off parole now for 7 years and just can not find a job in Georgia. I mean is there any brothers out there who are in the same position that I am in. What can we do to get employment in Georgia. Or are there any brothers out there who are willing to band together and start a business . Fill free to respond, I have realized that we live in a vicious society when it pertains to ex-offenders, now is the time for all of the brothers who are in this vicious cycle to band together, I really believe that we can make a positive difference if we work together. I am quite sure that there are some brothers out there who have some skills in Home improvement or Maintenance can we get together and talk about it!

I can relate to your experience as an ex-convict in Georgia, unable to find a job due to now having a criminal record. We must band together to help create opportunities for ourselves. I am with you on this.

MR. DANIEL INGRAM in Lawrenceville, Georgia

19 months ago

I feel the same as other ex-convicts discriminated against for what is on paper, opposed to the human beings we are. We must band together, take a stance on the unfair treament by companies who deny us jobs and opportunities.

dannyjack06@yahoo.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

19 months ago

I experience the problems of not being hired because of my criminal record. We need to help each other create ways to earn money to support our families too. We just want a chance to succeed as every American has the opportunity to do so.

Lance Sally in Rahway, New Jersey

19 months ago

Steve in Sarasota, Florida said: Stephani, I am also an ex-offender. As you say it is a vicious place at times. At first i was able to get a job,now with the economic times we now live it is very hard and if we are lucky enough to get a job, it does not last very long. So with that said,i now make the system pay for my life. We are now as ex-offenders considered "Displaced Minorities"So that in sort means we are able to obtain Pel Grants for school,Small Business loans, Federal Assistance, Food Stamps,Medical, you name it we can get. I have been out now for three years, i now own my own business and enjoy life,Praise God for all of it. and that is how to go about it.

Hi Stephani,

Lance from NJ... you are so right, I am also an ex offender, I have children and on child support, so it only gets worse for me not being able to find a job. I get arrested every 3 weeks, at this point i just turn myself in, even before they come. what are the steps that you took to start your own business, that appears to be the only way out... please help

19 months ago

Hi Stephani,

Lance from NJ... you are so right, I am also an ex offender, I have children and on child support, so it only gets worse for me not being able to find a job. I get arrested every 3 weeks, at this point i just turn myself in, even before they come. what are the steps that you took to start your own business, that appears to be the only way out... please help

19 months ago

Another Problem I am facing is that... I am an ex offender, but i am no longer on Parole or Probation... The One Stop in my area that helps ex offenders, will not help someone in my situation... i have to be actually be on parole or probation AND BE ABLE TO PROVE IT, so I am between a rock and a hard place..WHERE DO I GO NOW

Adogzheart in Absecon, New Jersey

16 months ago

I am giving my book "From Jail to a Job" away free on Amazon Kindle, no strings attached, for the next four days. With the kindle app, it can be read on IPad, IPhone and IPod touch. Everyone knows someone who has a criminal record and needs a job. My book has helped thousands of ex-offenders get jobs. There are a lot of great tips to help even those who do not have records to get jobs. Please share on Facebook so I can give away as many as possible. Thanks!

www.amazon.com/From-Jail-Job-ebook/dp/B00A70QY7Q

hinestimothy10@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

Timothy from Atlanta Ga... I was released after serving 31 years in prison and finding a full time job here in Atlanta is proving to be almost an impossibility.Temporary assignments are a quick fix for having money to get on the MARTA (public transportation) but it does not provide sufficient enough finance for food, clothing, and shelter. I am currently a full time online student at Colorado Technical University with a 3.0 GPA and yet I cannot find a warehouse job because of background check. Doing the job is not the issue,not being able to get an employer to look beyond my past is the real issue. I have lost my wife of 21 years, I'm homeless, and have no source of income in this predominantly African American city. I am more than willing to work and I know that there is a potential employer out there who can relate to my plight. We all have a past of some kind that if known would forever change how others look toward us. I say "Let God Be The JUDGE". I will continue press on because returning to prison is not an option for me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Topaz1922 in Columbus, Georgia

14 months ago

Hello,

I am also an ex-offender who was unable to find a job due to a felony. Although there are services that I could receive such as food stamps and medicaid, a job is what was needed. Therefore, I have decided to MAKE the system work for me. I have decded to go back to school using student loans. Although I am racking up more debt, I am furthering my education while receiving checks on a quarterly basis which help with paying bills in advance. Also, I am looking into starting my own restaurant because there are tons of government grants and small business lonas to be taken advantage of for such a venture. Thirdly, I have decided to help others like myself by creating a nonprofit organization in the Columbus, GA area that will provide residential living, job training and connection for those recently released or those who have been out and having a hard time. I hope to have everything up and running by the end on 2013. We will definitely hire ex-offenders tomentor those that we serve and when I get my restaurant up and running, I will hire ONLY ex-offenders.

I wish you the best in your endeavors and I hope some doors will open up for you soon, but if not...OPEN THEM YOUR SELF!! Check out our website at: www.newlifesecondchanceoutreach.com and LIKE our facebook page. Again, I wish you the best! Stay blessed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tjwaller165 in Winter Springs, Florida

9 months ago

Looks like there are a lot of people in the same boat. Most of the replies agree with your desire to start a business. Take a look at www.empowernetwork.com/almostasecret.php?id=turnaround165
It's great. Low start-up cost ($25) and they pay 100% commission. Check them out and good luck (Living Under Covenant Knowledge = "luck")

9 months ago

Lance Sally in Rahway, New Jersey said: Hi Stephani,

Lance from NJ... you are so right, I am also an ex offender, I have children and on child support, so it only gets worse for me not being able to find a job. I get arrested every 3 weeks, at this point i just turn myself in, even before they come. what are the steps that you took to start your own business , that appears to be the only way out... please help

Hi Lance.
Quick question: Why do you get arrested every 3 weeks? If that is what is happening then whether you start your own business or work for someone else, getting locked back up once a month just makes matters worse for you.
I know I'm probably stating something you already know. I'm sorry. I hope I'm just reading that wrong because I'm building a team of folks who are in our same situations. I got out in March of 2012. It's been a tough year job-wise until about 3 months ago when I started my internet marketing business. I had sent the link to "Stephani in Griffin, Georgia." Here it is for you, too, if you are still in the same situation. Watch the video. You will relate to these guys. We're all in this together. Here's the link: www.empowernetwork.com/almostasecret.php?id=turnaround165

Hang tough bud. You'll get through it. Anyone who makes it out of prison isn't a quitter or else they would have never made it out of prison.

9 months ago

hinestimothy10@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia said: Timothy from Atlanta Ga... I was released after serving 31 years in prison and finding a full time job here in Atlanta is proving to be almost an impossibility.Temporary assignments are a quick fix for having money to get on the MARTA (public transportation) but it does not provide sufficient enough finance for food , clothing, and shelter. I am currently a full time online student at Colorado Technical University with a 3.0 GPA and yet I cannot find a warehouse job because of background check. Doing the job is not the issue,not being able to get an employer to look beyond my past is the real issue. I have lost my wife of 21 years, I'm homeless, and have no source of income in this predominantly African American city . I am more than willing to work and I know that there is a potential employer out there who can relate to my plight. We all have a past of some kind that if known would forever change how others look toward us. I say "Let God Be The JUDGE". I will continue press on because returning to prison is not an option for me .

Hi Timothy.
Take a look at my last two comments in this forum. If you have found a place to stay and have a computer, I want you to join my team. It's called Team TurnAround165. I'm turning around the 16.5 years that I was in prison into something good! You can too if you just don't give up. I don't want quitters on my team...If you are tired of your current situation, check out that link. It's a video I know you and every ex-felon can and will relate to.

Lady Luck in Malcolm, Alabama

3 months ago

hi i know that i am over two years late but if you are still looking for something better i have the perfect thing for you i am an independent associate with MCA and i own my own online business and will be investing in two more come 2014 if you would like to hear more about it let me know either on here or leave me an email to contact you with all of the info on MCA i work from home in my spare time and love it its simple and easy work

Lady Luck in Malcolm, Alabama

3 months ago

Topaz1922 in Columbus, Georgia said: Hello,

I am also an ex-offender who was unable to find a job due to a felony. Although there are services that I could receive such as food stamps and medicaid, a job is what was needed. Therefore, I have decided to MAKE the system work for me. I have decded to go back to school using student loans. Although I am racking up more debt, I am furthering my education while receiving checks on a quarterly basis which help with paying bills in advance. Also, I am looking into starting my own restaurant because there are tons of government grants and small business lonas to be taken advantage of for such a venture. Thirdly, I have decided to help others like myself by creating a nonprofit organization in the Columbus, GA area that will provide residential living, job training and connection for those recently released or those who have been out and having a hard time. I hope to have everything up and running by the end on 2013. We will definitely hire ex-offenders tomentor those that we serve and when I get my restaurant up and running, I will hire ONLY ex-offenders.

I wish you the best in your endeavors and I hope some doors will open up for you soon, but if not...OPEN THEM YOUR SELF!! Check out our website at: www.newlifesecondchanceoutreach.com and LIKE our facebook page. Again, I wish you the best! Stay blessed.

hello i got the perfect business opportunity for you where you can get yourself out of that debt and keep yourself out of it working from home part-time no special skills or education needed just be 18 plus with internet connection and computer/laptop/smartphone/tablet or even your local library! 1-2 hours of a day is all it takes just let me know if you would like more info on it i will gladly provide it for you i hate to people struggling and barely getting by

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.