Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing web developer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

J Christopher Garcia in Austin, TX

97 months ago

Most people I meet don't have "formal" training since the field is so young, but usually everyone has a background in either design, computer science, or business.

I don't know about "career moves" -- but moving to a larger market helped: there were more jobs and more people interested in the same thing that I could learn from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

smoove in Troy, MI

95 months ago

Being a self starter, who is able to learn new skills is important, as is networking. Do some work, learn a wide variety of languages, and get some demonstrable experience.

Once you start getting experience and some jobs, you can use that to get more work, and your name will get passed around as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MR PS in birmingham, United Kingdom

65 months ago

In web development you do not need formal training but you do need examples of your own work. This is essential as recruiters in the web developer field want examples of work. There are so many books and online stuff for you to read about at home and learn your way to a good entry level job. PHP skills are definitely in demand in my opinion so worth learning. For jobs and advice search the net and try www.webdeveloperjobs.co.uk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.