What are typical a&p mechanic salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 121)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

nater in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Yes, some companies pay more than others. Mainline companies pay the best typically . Wage average is prob. close to 25/hr but it depends on the company. Also earnings depend on overtime worked and your position in the company. Managers make salaries prob. average of 50-60k yr, and different classes of mechanics (ie. leads, inspectors, ext) usually get a premium added to there wage. Skills, well the more versatile you are (sheet metal, composite repair, troubleshooting, machining, ext.) the more you stand out to management so it would suffice to say that your chances of promotion into management are better;however, keep in mind that most shops are unionized so seniority usually plays a bigger role than ability. Skills are respected but you may not necessarily get paid more for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

dnail in Meridian, Idaho

82 months ago

50 in Phoenix, Arizona said: My husband has been an A&P mechanic for almost 25 years. He works for the best airline in the U.S. (Guess which one!) and earns about $98,000 a year plus 100% 401K match to 8% of his salary. Excellent medical insurance costs about $80/mo for the family. There won't be any more jobs like that in the new world order. You'll probably be able to get a job with Emirates Air since they will own all of the jet fuel.

I am a man that is going to school for an A&P license. What kind of pay can I expect when I graduate. Tell me about the life as an mechanic.

P.S. We have to believe that we will defeat the NWO!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

WYTBOY in Hilo, Hawaii

69 months ago

THIS INFO ON THIS PAGE IS DEPRESSING.I HAVE BEED STUDYING MY BUT OFF TO PASS THESE A&P TEST THINKING BEING IN AVIATION PAYS WELL? IF THE STORIES ABOVE ARE TRUE, I GUESS YOU GET WHAT YOUR PAID FOR?? BEING AIRPORT SECURITY AT CURBSIDE IS A BETTER PAYING JOB THAN BEING AN A&P IT SOUNDS LIKE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

mckee d in Everett, Washington

60 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

1. 15 an hour out of the 18 mont college . as you aquire skill and labor of love you get more responsibility. after 5 years of ojt, and if your willing to travel... you will see 28 to 45 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Darby, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I hired on off the street with Delta TechOps in July. Starting at $24/hr and up to $37 after 8 years not including license, line and shift premiums. The jobs are out there...just not easy to get...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

58 months ago

I saw on another forum, some airlines have gone to flat Rate pay system. Is that really happening in the aviation industry? Im just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AA in Forest Hills, New York

58 months ago

A&P dont let these post make u give up hope...there is jobs out there, but u have to be wiling to move more than likely, i am going to start my first job in a month. i here figures like "regional airline paying 12.50 and hour" but that not true for all. i will be starting with a regional airline and be starting of with 18 dollars a hour and a union (salary wil increase to 32 in a span of 8 years not after 8 years) the union membership doesnt doesn't charge more than you typical cellphone bill. Dont expect the golden 24 an hour starting (only if your lucky and keep checking major airline job sites daily for entry level mech, u may succeed) also keep in touch with technical school buddies network is very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juan Londoño

58 months ago

onefastsailor said: If you decide to come to the US(I don't advise it)your best bet is to avoid the big schools that charge $30,000 for an A&P certificate. Instead, go to a community college, where you can earn an Associate of Science degree, and complete the 1900 hours of instruction towards an A&P.

The reason that I am telling you that it is not a good idea for you to come to the US is that even at community college, you will pay high tuition as a foreign student. The industry here is difficult to get into, and starting pay is in the range of $15/hr.

If you do decide to come to the US, a much better option is to go to engineering school. The starting pay is much higher, and there are more opportunities. To get an A&P certificate, and an AS degree, you will invest upwards of three years in school. Engineering school typically takes 4-5 years, depending upon where you go, availability of classes, your proficiency, etc. For not much more investment in time, you will be entering a higher paying field.

If you have your heart set on A&P, go for it. Where are you looking at going to school at?

Come to George t. Baker aviation in Miami Florida the whole course is less than $9000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juan Londoño

58 months ago

stormrider22 in Calcutta, India said: Dallas or Tarrant county college.can u tell me the cheapest college in usa.providing a & P course. Hallmark college providing The associate degree in 11 months.....is it approved by FAA? or is it better to do B1 or B2 licence from Europe. cause time is problem for me.

GEORGE T. BAKER aviation Miami florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Boogyman in Henderson, Nevada

58 months ago

dnail in Meridian, Idaho said: I am a man that is going to school for an A&P license. What kind of pay can I expect when I graduate. Tell me about the life as an mechanic.

P.S. We have to believe that we will defeat the NWO!!!

Remember the Bush clan, Republican party and Glenn Beck are behind the NWO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rotor head in Lafayette, Louisiana

57 months ago

Ive bee turning wrenches on helicopters in the gulf of mexico for 14 years and started making $10.50 hr with an A&P now I make $33.00 Hr. with full benifits, but always keep in mind that the aviation industry is very feast or famine and clickish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cargoink in Roseville, California

56 months ago

I just finished taking my written last September. I should have taken my O&P's but I don't have the $600 for the test yet. Seeing all the posts here has made me a little discourage but like 1/4 of you here I love aviation so I think that I will go on to the finish line with the licenses. I will still stay in touch with my instructor (IA) and help him with his 100hrs and annuals to stay in practice (keeping my hands dirty). Like everyone here I need the experience and both the FBO's and Airlines don't want to give it to you and I understand that. I think the best way to get experience in this field is to buy a Cessna 150/152 and keep it flying (if you have a pilots licenses). It could be a costly experiment but I think I'm going to do it so I can rack up hrs.

scott in Volcano, Hawaii

56 months ago

Cargoink in Roseville, California said: I just finished taking my written last September. I should have taken my O&P's but I don't have the $600 for the test yet. Seeing all the posts here has made me a little discourage but like 1/4 of you here I love aviation so I think that I will go on to the finish line with the licenses. I will still stay in touch with my instructor (IA) and help him with his 100hrs and annuals to stay in practice (keeping my hands dirty). Like everyone here I need the experience and both the FBO's and Airlines don't want to give it to you and I understand that. I think the best way to get experience in this field is to buy a Cessna 150/152 and keep it flying (if you have a pilots licenses). It could be a costly experiment but I think I'm going to do it so I can rack up hrs.

You should get your O&P finished asap while the book info is four months fresh in your mind.My O&P test was 12 hours and it was no cake walk, believe me.Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Grand Prairie, Texas

56 months ago

Joe_Westley in Houston, Texas said: All you losers with the "A&P License" are idiots. That is no longer a license but rather a "certificate". Furthermore, you will all end up with crappy careers. Not to mention, my engineering degree is worth 10 times more than your crap shot "A&P Certificate". HAHA.

apparently you do not know what you are talking about. when you get out of A&P shcool, you get a certificate, then you get a A&P license from the FAA when you passed the examination. and no your engineering degree is not worth 10X more, i see you are trying to be funny. . depends on where you work for and what you do. you sound like a typical engineer. i know people who is a A&P that makes around $100-140K but they work for the airlines though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joey in Gilbert, Arizona

56 months ago

Joe Westley in Houston, Texas must be having a bad day. What a nasty, unnecessary comment. Experienced A&P technicians at Southwest Airlines routinely make over 110K per year, plus a profit sharing bonus ranging from 8-12% of your gross pay. Plus, we and our families fly for FREE, get a 100% match on our 401K accounts.

With your attitude, even with a degree in "Engineering," I doubt that you make that much in pay and benefits. In fact, I doubt that you even have a degree in Engineering. I'm not even sure you are employed if you have time to sit around and comment on a Forum that has nothing to do with your career at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jcarne in Orlando, Florida

56 months ago

Joe_Westley is most likely not an engineer and if he is he is the type of person that gives engineers a bad name. It is not easy to make 110k per year in engineering and takes many many years to reach that level. Please don't assume that all engineers are like that, some do have the mechanics in mind when they design something (not often enough though).

Scott in Hilo, Hawaii

56 months ago

Joe_Westley in Houston, Texas said: All you losers with the "A&P License" are idiots. That is no longer a license but rather a "certificate". Furthermore, you will all end up with crappy careers. Not to mention, my engineering degree is worth 10 times more than your crap shot "A&P Certificate". HAHA.

To reply to Joe Westley: The term losers is an insult to people you do not know.If you told me that in person i would show you how to cool your jets without a tool.I hold a private airplane and helicopter,comm airplane/helicopter A&P and an APT 121 certificate and soon IA.Getting my A&P was as challenging at age 47 as the rest if not harder being out of the military for 30 years and completing my tests with an average of 97% and my ATP and comm 100%.I hold two patents and probably make more money than you and your kind put together.You should try to keep it real on this forum boy.Aviation is a proud and noble profession to all who serve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida

56 months ago

Juan Londoño said: GEORGE T. BAKER aviation Miami florida

Hey Juan I went to Baker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Well....to add my 2 cents, I have been looking for work since '09 and I just got a job offer....it is entry level starting at $18hr. And by the way 7am-3:30pm, weekends off. I am a little bit nervous because I don't want to screw this up, but I also understand that my A&P is a license to learn. To all you guys and gals out there keep looking and don't give up or settle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

onefastsailor

55 months ago

Congrats, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

mckee d in Everett, Washington said: 1. 15 an hour out of the 18 mont college . as you aquire skill and labor of love you get more responsibility. after 5 years of ojt, and if your willing to travel... you will see 28 to 45 an hour.

Exactly! I got my certs in '09 and have been looking since, just got an entry level job offer..starting at $18hr. I didn't give but kept on applying. My major goal now is to learn as much as I can, I am going to be a sponge. Anyway just wanted to let some of guys know that jobs are out there...just keep looking. Good luck.

The Brain in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Viking in Sterling, Virginia said: Bullcrap Spyderman is probably a recruiter and the other guy commenting isnt even an A&P.This field has gotten terrible and there are very few airline jobs with 1000s applying for them.Only contracts,companies that work for the military right now are about the only decent paying jobs.Hard to get also.

Well I must be full of s|-| | T then too because i'm a month away from Graduating from Redstone of denver and already have a offer from Lockheed Martin starting @18 an hour increasing by 25c a month and upgrade after 1 year(they flew me and 20 others down to Georgia). So these jobs can't be too hard to get and yes i have military experience but not with aircraft(unless you think GSE equipment has wings).
Don't let these people get you down, aircraft have to keep flying and they have to keep getting produced. People retire, people die, and nobody can stay at the top forever. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

The Brain in Denver, Colorado said: Well I must be full of s|-| | T then too because i'm a month away from Graduating from Redstone of denver and already have a offer from Lockheed Martin starting @18 an hour increasing by 25c a month and upgrade after 1 year(they flew me and 20 others down to Georgia). So these jobs can't be too hard to get and yes i have military experience but not with aircraft(unless you think GSE equipment has wings).
Don't let these people get you down, aircraft have to keep flying and they have to keep getting produced. People retire, people die, and nobody can stay at the top forever. Good luck.

Amen brother!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Experienced in Loudon, Tennessee said: Luck is something you will need.You should listen to those who came before you Brain.Lots of people have passed thru the halls of Lockheed Martin and are long gone.They are desperate for youngbloods,because they have screwed all the experienced guys into not being able to handle the new no benefit,no money no guarantee aviation.And now we are getting older with no retirement and loads of bitterness.You have to pay in this field to work and most cant sustain it.They hate the ex-union people who tried for years to keep this field a career.You have no idea what is in your future dude but wait until LM is done with their current project,hope you survive.

In my opinion it was the union that destroyed this fine career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

psufan35 in Ventura, California

55 months ago

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida said: Well....to add my 2 cents, I have been looking for work since '09 and I just got a job offer....it is entry level starting at $18hr. And by the way 7am-3:30pm, weekends off. I am a little bit nervous because I don't want to screw this up, but I also understand that my A&P is a license to learn. To all you guys and gals out there keep looking and don't give up or settle.

I'm curious as to where you found this job with a schedule like that.

55 months ago

psufan35 in Ventura, California said: I'm curious as to where you found this job with a schedule like that.

Miami Tech Maintenance. You can google them, then click on their careers section. Hope this helps.

Hello in Front Royal, Virginia

55 months ago

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida said: In my opinion it was the union that destroyed this fine career.

It was corporate greed and profit margins that destroyed this career dude.It was bad management,the unions played a very small role in this.Now this field has a revolving door policy that does not sustain quality or any employee loyalty.Its unsustainable for the long run.

george in Tulsa, Oklahoma

54 months ago

hi how did your husband exactly get a job with emirates airlines? or is that what he wants to do

50 in Phoenix, Arizona said: My husband has been an A&P mechanic for almost 25 years. He works for the best airline in the U.S. (Guess which one!) and earns about $98,000 a year plus 100% 401K match to 8% of his salary. Excellent medical insurance costs about $80/mo for the family. There won't be any more jobs like that in the new world order. You'll probably be able to get a job with Emirates Air since they will own all of the jet fuel.

50Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

54 months ago

That was a joke about Emirates Air. It didn't come across very well on the Internet. IMHO, Southwest Airlines is the best airline for A&P mechanics.

MB in Front Royal, Virginia

53 months ago

50Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona said: That was a joke about Emirates Air. It didn't come across very well on the Internet. IMHO, Southwest Airlines is the best airline for A&P mechanics.

Southwest is the best airline left.Waiting list for A&Ps a mile long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dukes in Biloxi, Mississippi

53 months ago

I worked as a C-130J Engine Mechanic at Keesler AFB, MS and started at 16 and change and moved to 28.72, before I became a recruiter for the Air Force Reserve. If you want to make decent money working on Air Craft join the Air Force Reserve and look at Air Reserve Technician (ART) possibilities. The money, the insurance, the experience, the travel, it's all there. By the way, I don't have an A & P. There are also opportunities working for people like Dowty (Prop Company), Rolls Royce (Aircraft Engines), GE, Hamilton Standard, etc. I have a few buddies that rance from 65k to 92k working for these companies. I'll admit that I'm getting out and this thread has definately changed my opinion for getting an A & P. Good luck to all.

Gordon Simpson in High Point, North Carolina

52 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I was asking these same questions when I was trying to find some info on a mechanic job. I found a book called the aircraft mechanic and I thought you might like it. you can read it at www.theaircraftmechanic.com

BJjennings in Clearwater, Florida

52 months ago

To Munson, I see you have some sense. I am in National Aviation Academy and I witeness recruiters come and hire people ALL THE TIME with good salaries. No your not going to make 70k right off the bat but I see people making anywhere from 15-25 dollars an hour. And YES your grades matter along with attendence so focus because people atteneding this schools are looked at as having the knowledge along with the experience. Some companies was hit hard by this recession and cut back but ALL companies are not struggling do your research and keep the faith, don't let these people scare you off what you feel is the right decision for you!

Jeff in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

52 months ago

Julio F in Miami, Florida said: WOW $23-24 hour good luck living on that,youre getting paid likes it 1985 but its 2010.Getting a A&P will make no differance in pay maybe $1 more at $23 hour youre maxed out! dont waste youre time and money with aviation go back to school.

Good luck living with your inability to correctly spell and use grammar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angielaw in Clearwater, Florida

52 months ago

BJjennings in Clearwater, Florida said: To Munson, I see you have some sense. I am in National Aviation Academy and I witeness recruiters come and hire people ALL THE TIME with good salaries. No your not going to make 70k right off the bat but I see people making anywhere from 15-25 dollars an hour. And YES your grades matter along with attendence so focus because people atteneding this schools are looked at as having the knowledge along with the experience. Some companies was hit hard by this recession and cut back but ALL companies are not struggling do your research and keep the faith, don't let these people scare you off what you feel is the right decision for you!

My husband is also a student at NAA!

Ramon in Staten Island, New York

51 months ago

Kaharshs in Fairfield, California said: Ijust separated the air force Nd within 1 week of beong out i had 4 jo s pffer of $23-24 hour. I have 7 yeR of working sheet metal and advanced composites under my belt. I declined these offers because i am going to school for my a&p so i can wIt 3 years and get my inspection authority. It a paying career field if you make it one.

In order for you to become an IA u need 3 years with an a&p, plus have been actively engaged ,for at least 2 years in maintaining aircraft certificated,..more information on eligibility for acquiring an inspection authorization are located in FAR part 65 subpart D 65.91..... Good luck to you

carlos in West Palm Beach, Florida

49 months ago

John in Houston, Texas said: Waste of time and money. You can consider yourself a moron if you got into this field thinking you will make some dough.

waste of time? i make 75 grand a year and have 3 days off a week. but i genuinly love fixing planes, i didnt just choose a career that i thought pays. plus i wasnt afraid to work a couple years and get some experience. nothing good comes easy and without sacrifice. if thats what you want, go slang something. Some good advice, do something cause you like doing it, not cause someone told you it pays good cause thats just being a tool.

Jamie Munson in Eugene, Oregon

49 months ago

YOU GO!! Thats so right, and I totally agree with you! Love what you do or don't do it at all...

37 in Southlake, Texas

49 months ago

I do not have an A&P and currently make $18/hr. I started 11 years ago at $8.50. I work for a small FBO. I have worked on all types of GA aircraft. I also am not complaining about how much money I make. If you want unions and 4 weeks paid vacations, then get a job that provides those things. Being a mechanic is not going to make you rich. If you are crying about the money, then go do something else.

I have worked with many A&P mechanics that had backgrounds in the military and major airlines. Most of them couldn't cut it in GA.

Don't think that just because you have a degree or went to school, you are a good wrench. You are not. It takes time and money to learn and it takes honesty and respect to learn from the "old guys". In my case the "old guys" didn't even acknowledge my existance till I was there for 2 years.

I have spent 11 years of my time, 60,000+ dollars in tools and many weekends voluntering to work on special projects to learn something new. I am not rich, but I have 3 cars and 60k in tools paid for, I can take 2 weeks vacation at anytime, and I am well respected as a good wrench in my area.

It has its ups and downs like any other job , but for me it has been fun for the most part. Even at $8.50 per hour it was fun.

kyle in Marysville, Washington

47 months ago

Ed in Gilbert, Arizona said: You hit the nail on the head! Aviation is a national security issue and yet, driven by corporate greed or just plain stupidity, America's aviation leaders are decimating the industry from the inside out.

If you want a for sure job with an a&p license look at at Boeing. You might have to relocate to western washington. You are in a union. You can look it up it's the IAM and you would be a paygrade 9 or 10 which starts out at about $20 hr and caps out at $40 hr. Washington is the only place where is unionized. The average basic mechanic makes almost $60 k a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

F35Mech in Victorville, California

47 months ago

I was in the military for 15 years, got out on disability and got a job as a civilian aircraft mech on an Air Force base. Unbeatable job security, but not a lot of room for growth so I needed something different. The only company I wanted to work for was Northrop Grumman because of the lack of union seniority rules. Even though I've been turning wrenches on aircraft for 15 years, someone with 1 year of union seniority takes my promotion in Lockheed and Boeing.

After working for Northrop for a while, I did some looking around at an AA maintenance hub, which is closer to where I grew up, but again, since it was union, I had to start a the bottom (12.50/hr). Significantly less than 1/2 pay where I am now.

My point is, if you're young and just getting started with an A&P, union gigs aren't a bad idea, especially if you want to get in a groove and just put it in cruise-control. Promotions are harder to come by, but being fired is nearly impossible with seniority. Non-union jobs are harder to find, typically, but if you stand out in a crowd of other mechanics, then you can move up faster since promotions aren't based on seniority. However, if you aren't up to par, then you're easily replaced. Either way, you can, and will, make plenty of money as long as you stick with the same company. If you have military or non-union experience, then you may as well steer clear of joining a union. In my hangar, there are plenty of mechs that hate the job because "new" guys got a promotion instead of them...but from the outside looking in, there was obviously a reason.

I understand this isn't always the case for everyone. Opportunities exist for those who reach out and grab them, but unions seem to limit the amount of people that can step outside their box. Simply basing seniority on "time in the union" instead of performance is bad business sense...for employer and employee.

Sunny in Hollywood, Florida

46 months ago

My husband is and A&P IA and CFI. We have moved 7 times in 5 states in the last 3 years due to the unethical companies out there. He is a strictly GA guy and when Piper went on shut down in 09 we were forced to go elsewhere. We went up to New England to a job paying $30/hour, turned out to be billable hour and paperwork time wasn't billable. Neither was parts ordering, or AD research, all of which was part of his job since he was the director of maintenance. BTW, the billable part wasn't mentioned in any interview or contracts until after we had relocated. So after a year of barely surviving we moved to NC a month after moving there the company lost a contract for 40% of their workload. We ended up on the Alabama coast. A nice small company associated w/ a flight school with a government contract. The management had just changed and they wanted all new people. Within 2 weeks the owner was threatening to close up. We lasted 6 months. This last move we opted for a partnership with a flight school, as co-owners of the maintenance shop we feel a bit more secure. It's an affluent area, rent it $$$ I'm disabled, we have to homeschool our kids because we've had to move too much at least that way something's stable. My husband draws a salary that pays our bills but no extras, and he works 60 hours a week. Some day I hope it pays off. The guy he was working with last ended up out of work as soon as we left, so we made the right choice by bailing. He now lives with us and his family is left in AL. They had moved 12 times in 4 years. Unless you are willing and able to move for work, or independently wealthy this isn't a career to flock to. You will make less as a rule than a car mechanic and have a zillion times the liability. If your car mechanic doesn't get your oil filter on tight your car might break down and you have to call a tow truck. If your aircraft mechanic doesn't get your oil filter on tight your plane might fall from the sky and kill people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

H-60 GUY in Jacksonville, Florida

46 months ago

Ex-navy in Jacksonville, Florida said: I just seperated from the navy, when i was in i worked as an avionics tech on helicopters. I got a job working for a navy contractor doing the exact same thing i did when i was in and am making $22/hour with nothing but my 7 years in the navy on my resume. I looked at non military contract opportunities in this field and most, if not all companies, required an A&P license. I know i got lucky getting my foot in the door, espcially considering i have no civilian certs or licenses but it's a bit depressing knowing that even if i did have my A&P and no experience working on the birds that it would be near impossible to land a job. What everyone above me said about having experience is true, i can defintely attest to that. Even though reading all of these posts is a bit depressing i still plan on getting my A&P that way i have that on top of my experience to ensure i can find a job in the industry if anything happens with my current job.

PEOPLE KEEP TALKING DOWN ON A&P JOBS I GOT MINE WHILE I WAS IN THE NAVY AND NOW WITH 5 YEARS EX IM AT 26/HR WORKING 14HR DAYS ITS THE ONLY JOB YOULL FIND WITH OVERTIME. IM JUST OVER 6 FIGS BEFORE TAXES W/BENIFITS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

juankie in West Palm Beach, Florida

46 months ago

Viking in Sterling, Virginia said: Bullcrap Spyderman is probably a recruiter and the other guy commenting isnt even an A&P.This field has gotten terrible and there are very few airline jobs with 1000s applying for them.Only contracts,companies that work for the military right now are about the only decent paying jobs.Hard to get also.

i got my A&P 2 years ago, right out of school i had 4 interviews with regional airlines, starting between 16 and 18 an hour. i have worked heavy maintenance on crj's , dash 8's, and atr 145's. i make 21 hr with great benefits and free travel. do it if you really like it, thats with anything in life. you wont be a millionare but you can make a comfortable living for sure. most important: live within your means or you will be like all these people complaining about not making enough cause they are probably in debt and would need to win the lottery just to break even now. dont be a pesimist loser, keep your head up and get your A&P, plenty of opportunities out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

juankie in West Palm Beach, Florida said: i got my A&P 2 years ago, right out of school i had 4 interviews with regional airlines, starting between 16 and 18 an hour. i have worked heavy maintenance on crj's , dash 8's, and atr 145's. i make 21 hr with great benefits and free travel. do it if you really like it, thats with anything in life. you wont be a millionare but you can make a comfortable living for sure. most important: live within your means or you will be like all these people complaining about not making enough cause they are probably in debt and would need to win the lottery just to break even now. dont be a pesimist loser, keep your head up and get your A&P, plenty of opportunities out there

Hello juankie...I see you located in FLA, I am also MIA. Is your company hiring? I have my A/P certs, low experience and seeking employment. Any info apreciated. Thanks.

46 months ago

whats up man, to be honest, if u want the most opportunities you have to be open minded and willing to move. Air wisconsin, American Eagle,Mesa Airlines, and Piedmont Airlines are hiring, but you would have to relocate. Im from Florida but live in Maryland now, beautiful up here, im originally from NY so it was easier for me to make that decision. i was getting tired of florida

46 months ago

Munson in Denver, Colorado said: It is FAA mandated that you have to attend a minimum of 1900 hours of training, which is approximately 17.5 months total. I'm not sure where you are getting 11 months from, but it MUST be 1900 hours. And unless that school provides that amount then it most likely will not meet FAA regulations. I would steer clear of them. The cost is depending on the program. If you are just going for the certificate I'm sure it is significantly less than the Associates Degree. I know for the entire training, which includes tools and uniforms, for the Associates degree at Redstone the total cost was around 30 thousand.

And, unfortunately, unless you are a US citizen I do not think you will be eligible to receive student financial aide from the government. You would have to cover the costs yourself. However, you can verify that at www.fafsa.ed.gov to be sure. That is the website for federal financial student aide.

Hope that helps and good luck!

wow! 30 thousand , i completed my two years of training and earned my A&P license and A.S in aviation maintenance management for around 10 thousand

darth frosty in Detroit, Michigan

46 months ago

Got my A&P out of HS kicked around in GA for a while than started working on trains. Sadly I may have to go back to A&P cause my current gig is drying up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

darth frosty in Detroit, Michigan

46 months ago

Very interesting discussion. Got my A&P out of HS and worked in G.A for a lil bit

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.