What are typical a&p mechanic salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 142)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

nater in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

Yes, some companies pay more than others. Mainline companies pay the best typically . Wage average is prob. close to 25/hr but it depends on the company. Also earnings depend on overtime worked and your position in the company. Managers make salaries prob. average of 50-60k yr, and different classes of mechanics (ie. leads, inspectors, ext) usually get a premium added to there wage. Skills, well the more versatile you are (sheet metal, composite repair, troubleshooting, machining, ext.) the more you stand out to management so it would suffice to say that your chances of promotion into management are better;however, keep in mind that most shops are unionized so seniority usually plays a bigger role than ability. Skills are respected but you may not necessarily get paid more for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne White in Westminster, Colorado

73 months ago

Don't let this information lead you to think that aviation pays good. There are also regional airlines that pay mechanics $12.15 per hour and 1.00 per license up to two. Check out the area and airline you want to work for and make a sound decision. Union workers are huge in aviation. Skills and knowledge are highly looked over and most corporations truly want people who do not question authority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

dnail in Meridian, Idaho

68 months ago

50 in Phoenix, Arizona said: My husband has been an A&P mechanic for almost 25 years. He works for the best airline in the U.S. (Guess which one!) and earns about $98,000 a year plus 100% 401K match to 8% of his salary. Excellent medical insurance costs about $80/mo for the family. There won't be any more jobs like that in the new world order. You'll probably be able to get a job with Emirates Air since they will own all of the jet fuel.

I am a man that is going to school for an A&P license. What kind of pay can I expect when I graduate. Tell me about the life as an mechanic.

P.S. We have to believe that we will defeat the NWO!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

SouthbySouthwest in Gilbert, Arizona

65 months ago

Too bad everyone can't work for Southwest Airlines. They treat their employees (especially the mechanics) with respect and haven't laid off a single employee since the airline was formed 40 years ago. At full seniority you would be making around $100K per year with overtime pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ERAU Student in Enterprise, Alabama

64 months ago

I'm writing a paper for a course at ERAU on A&P job longevity at FBO's.

Can anyone tell me their take on a newly hired, entry level (< 2 years experience) A&P staying on with an FBO versus leaving for an airline or larger operation?
Why would you (or have you) stayed with the FBO?
Why would you (or have you) left for another job?

Any input will be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nicebirdgallo@hotmail.com in Conway, Arkansas

59 months ago

dnail in Meridian, Idaho said: I am a man that is going to school for an A&P license. What kind of pay can I expect when I graduate. Tell me about the life as an mechanic.

I am a former Commuter pilot and now a laid-off Corporate pilot. I was thinking about getting my A&P license, but now I see it would be a waste of time, money and effort. The aviation industry is in shambles ever since deregulation. Half the money the airlines made since then actually came from the government. So the profit motive imposed on a necessary facet of our transportation system means that companies concentrate only on "profitable" routes, while they scant on maintanence, service and employee pay. Meanwhile, only a select few--CEO's, stakeholders and upper management, plunder the money scraped off the backs of workers. The sad truth is that there is a war in corporate America against labor. The cheapening of labor, first by getting people to train for highly skilled jobs (getting into debt in the process) with the promise of high pay. Then by convincing them they have to accept low "starting" wages indefinitely, because of necessity or by using artificially made "competion," low skilled labor under the "supervision" of one A&P or stratigically placed scabs where needed (ie. NWA). Its the same thing that is going on with Commuter pilots taking more of the routes of Legacy Carriers. It's going on in nursing, retail, farms, factories, etc. Ironically, companies and government whine that not enough people are going into highly specialized trades, but at the same time they refuse to pay people enough to make a decent living, meanwhile, they stuff their pockets with more millions they don't need. Until labor stands up against businesses again we will not get a fair shake. Do A&P's have a strong union? It doesn't seem like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

WYTBOY in Hilo, Hawaii

55 months ago

THIS INFO ON THIS PAGE IS DEPRESSING.I HAVE BEED STUDYING MY BUT OFF TO PASS THESE A&P TEST THINKING BEING IN AVIATION PAYS WELL? IF THE STORIES ABOVE ARE TRUE, I GUESS YOU GET WHAT YOUR PAID FOR?? BEING AIRPORT SECURITY AT CURBSIDE IS A BETTER PAYING JOB THAN BEING AN A&P IT SOUNDS LIKE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

avguy in Arlington, Texas

55 months ago

Most of the overhaul shops that use to hire new guys are now in South America. The majors are shrinking their maintenance departments. All thats left is either FBOs or regional airline that pay around $12.00. The way to get a good airline job is to get in doing anything and then transfer to maintenance. Most A&P grads never touch an airplane because they never find found a decent offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

RM in Gilbert, Arizona

55 months ago

I just saw a job listing in Arizona for A&P Mechanics with wages between $20-24/hr. I can't post a link, but maybe some research would uncover the employer or the posting, if you want to move to Arizona.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Wow, this is depressing. School is so much hard work, money, and time, and it seems like its all for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Espreransa R. in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

I will be starting school to become an A&P Mechanic this March. Reading the comments on this page is making me re-think my choice for getting my degree. This is something that im very interested in but i am also a single mother that needs a good career in hopes of a better future for my child and myself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nicebirdgallo in Greenbrier, Arkansas

53 months ago

Dear Espreransa, I don't know what to tell you. On the plus side, I heard from a FAA buddy of mine that there is an effort by the FAA to require that anyone touching an aircraft has to be an A&P. This would mean that maintanence companies cannot hire all cheap, inexperienced people and say that their work is being "supervised" by a single A&P. This will mean that more A&P's will be needed. Of course the companies are going to fight this. But, they can just continue to outsource work to Mexico, ship engines to be overhauled elsewhere, or find new ways to keep wages low. The war against labor rights and decent wages will expand as corporations get bigger and more powerful (See Walmart). In my opinion, if you have an interest in healthcare, you should look into becoming a nurse, a physician's assistant, or try being a teacher or police officer. Something more recession-proof.

Read "Recession-Proof Careers," in the March 2009 READER'S DIGEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

5 year A&P

52 months ago

You have to work hard and you have to get as much experience as possible. I started at 15 an hour and have made as high as 27 an hour. Be ready to travel and move to find the right location and pay. DO get your A&P if you are going to work in this field. Don't listen to the loosers on this site, they are either bad mechanics or think they should have made big money out of the gate. The more training you have the better your pay. Go to the contract houses if you need to. An A&P ticket is a license to learn, not a free lunch. Just get out there and hit it hard. Yes, you will work a lot of overtime. If the aircraft is not flying, it isn't making money, so you have to get it flying. But you are the one who will get it flying. Even in this hard economy I have been able to find work. Make darn sure that you pass your test with flying colors, best scores possible. I also have my flight instructors ticket and commercial ticket. But I make my best money fixing them not flying them. GA aircraft work pays the worst, commercial and military contracts pay the best. I've worked from Texas to Iraq and have worked on everything from eggbeaters to heavy's. Don't stay in GA field, go heavy. The best in the field get the best money, so keep your grades up and study hard. No such thing as a free lunch anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-navy in Jacksonville, Florida

47 months ago

I just seperated from the navy, when i was in i worked as an avionics tech on helicopters. I got a job working for a navy contractor doing the exact same thing i did when i was in and am making $22/hour with nothing but my 7 years in the navy on my resume. I looked at non military contract opportunities in this field and most, if not all companies, required an A&P license. I know i got lucky getting my foot in the door, espcially considering i have no civilian certs or licenses but it's a bit depressing knowing that even if i did have my A&P and no experience working on the birds that it would be near impossible to land a job. What everyone above me said about having experience is true, i can defintely attest to that. Even though reading all of these posts is a bit depressing i still plan on getting my A&P that way i have that on top of my experience to ensure i can find a job in the industry if anything happens with my current job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

onefastsailor

47 months ago

STORMRIDER in Calcutta, India said: I AM FROM INDIA. I AM PLANNING FOR DOING THE A & P COURSE IN U.S.A.I AM FROM MIDDLE CLASS FAMILY SO IT WILL BIT RISKY FOR ME, IF I DONT GET ANY JOB I CANT AFFORD TO PAY THE LOAN.SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?GO FOR THE COURSE OR STOP PLANNING TO DO IT.PLEASE HELP ME......

If you decide to come to the US(I don't advise it)your best bet is to avoid the big schools that charge $30,000 for an A&P certificate. Instead, go to a community college, where you can earn an Associate of Science degree, and complete the 1900 hours of instruction towards an A&P.

The reason that I am telling you that it is not a good idea for you to come to the US is that even at community college, you will pay high tuition as a foreign student. The industry here is difficult to get into, and starting pay is in the range of $15/hr.

If you do decide to come to the US, a much better option is to go to engineering school. The starting pay is much higher, and there are more opportunities. To get an A&P certificate, and an AS degree, you will invest upwards of three years in school. Engineering school typically takes 4-5 years, depending upon where you go, availability of classes, your proficiency, etc. For not much more investment in time, you will be entering a higher paying field.

If you have your heart set on A&P, go for it. Where are you looking at going to school at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stormrider22 in Calcutta, India

47 months ago

onefastsailor said: If you decide to come to the US(I don't advise it)your best bet is to avoid the big schools that charge $30,000 for an A&P certificate. Instead, go to a community college, where you can earn an Associate of Science degree, and complete the 1900 hours of instruction towards an A&P.

The reason that I am telling you that it is not a good idea for you to come to the US is that even at community college, you will pay high tuition as a foreign student. The industry here is difficult to get into, and starting pay is in the range of $15/hr.

If you do decide to come to the US, a much better option is to go to engineering school. The starting pay is much higher, and there are more opportunities. To get an A&P certificate, and an AS degree, you will invest upwards of three years in school. Engineering school typically takes 4-5 years, depending upon where you go, availability of classes, your proficiency, etc. For not much more investment in time, you will be entering a higher paying field.

If you have your heart set on A&P, go for it. Where are you looking at going to school at?

Texas.I already spent 3 years studying AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING IN INDIA. there I cleared DGCA (INDIA) licence. Is the pay-scale of engineers r more than A & P mechanic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Dallas or Tarrant county college.can u tell me the cheapest college in usa.providing a & P course. Hallmark college providing The associate degree in 11 months.....is it approved by FAA? or is it better to do B1 or B2 licence from Europe. cause time is problem for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

onefastsailor

47 months ago

I don't know what is the cheapest school for you coming from India. I was fortunate to get my AS degree tuition free. With grant and scholarship money, my books and licensing were paid for. So, I don't have any student loans to pay off, and can afford to take a job with entry level pay.

You say that you have a license to work in India. Why not use it? Are there no opportunities there? Coming here, you will compete with military veterans for jobs.

47 months ago

currently here is no opportunity.may I get scholarships?if yes then how?and can u give ur email id? and is it better to do B1 or B2 licence from Europe? i can afford upto 15k to 20k....please tell me u know any college i can afford?
and please ans all my qstns.......help me in this regard

nicebird in Conway, Arkansas

47 months ago

You can go to Pulaski Tech, in Little Rock, AR. They have an A&P course and new facilities. Their course is 2 years. You can go in the day or at night. It is pretty cheap I think like $800 a semester (so about $3200 total) and they have lots of scholarships. I was thinking about going, but didn't want to start at the bottom again. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

thanx a lot nicebird.if you kindly inform me about hall mark college in san antonio cause they r providing the associate degree in only 11 months.actually i want to save the time.can u tell me details of the course fees of hallmark college?i will be grateful....thanx again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nicebirdgallo in Perryville, Arkansas

47 months ago

Oh, I don't know about that school. You can probably find their website and their email address. Send them an email and ask for more info. Like the other guy says, you may be better off going into engineering if you are smart or hardworking. I have 15 yrs pilot, airline and corporate flying experience, and I'm currently unemployed. I'm actually thinking about becoming a land surveyor, just for fun. Or maybe a teacher. One of my pilot friends finally made it to be a 737 pilot for Alaska Air, got laid-off, and fell back on his A&P license to open his own shop. He is from india. He would tell you the same thing. Here in america, aviation is dying a slow death, due to deregulation (Reganomics gone wrong), corporate greed, outsourcing of maintanence, FAA inaction and collusion with companies, corporation's war on labor, and the faltering economy caused by expensive, uneeded wars (thanks, Bush) and corporate greed (again).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

thanx. but if I go for engineering It will take 4 years.is there any shorcut to do bachelors?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

is it better to go for EASA licence?from europe?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nicebirdgallo in Perryville, Arkansas

47 months ago

As for college shortcuts, you may be able to get credit for life experience, you can sometimes test out of subjects, you can take some online classes quickly, or go to some concentrated seminars that will give you credit. Summer classes and evening or day concentrated classes (3 weeks instead of a 12 week semester), are a good way to get ahead.

My advice is to stay in school, get a professional degree in engineering, medical, education or some other cushy, recession-proof job (do a web search for "recession proof jobs"). If you like working on airplanes, be an aircraft designer. As an A&P mechanic, you will still have to go to school, you will be abused and under paid, you will have insane liability and responsibility, stress and lay-offs.

Aviation is so expensive (maintenance, parts, fuel, etc.), that aircraft owners and operators have found ways to cut costs off the backs of employees. Outsourcing to mexican shops and the use of cheap contract work is now the norm. Airlines use commuter airlines for more and more flights. They hire low-time pilots (and A&P's) pay crap until you can upgrade, then pay ok like 10 yrs later, just to keep you interested. But by that time you are burnt out from all the commuting and abuse. And even if you make it to the majors, you get laid-off every 7-10 years anyways.

But back to the A&P, you can do it, get lucky, and get by. But why get by when you can be rich and happy doing something else? You are young, you have time to stay in school and do it right from the start. I wish I had finished my Civil Engineering degree. I hear that the medical and engineering schools in India are amazing. Believe me, 4 years go by in the blink of an eye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Gilbert, Arizona

47 months ago

You hit the nail on the head! Aviation is a national security issue and yet, driven by corporate greed or just plain stupidity, America's aviation leaders are decimating the industry from the inside out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Munson in Denver, Colorado

47 months ago

You also need to know that as an A&P you can work in refineries. Alaska is ALWAYS looking for A&P certified workers. My husband was offered a job in AK making 90K. He went to Redstone College.

Technically there are only 3 schools in the US now that offer A&P Associates degrees. One is Redstone, then there is the National Aviation Academy and Spartan College. All the other schools offer are Certificates. However, if you take 4 of the certificates which are Aviation Maintenance Certificate, Airframe Maintenance Certificate, Powerplant Maintenance Certificate and the Avionics Technology Certificate then you actually can then test for the Associates degree as all of those areas are covered under the A&P Associate of Applied Science degree.

We have friends that went to both Spartan and Redstone. I've heard good and bad from both schools. And though they are a bit expensive, you can use the degree in not just airplanes.

Everyone seems so negative (and NO i'm not a recruiter OR work for one of those hiring businesses) but and education is an education. And no matter what field you use it in it WILL benefit you in the long run. Most businesses WANT educated employees. PERIOD. and in this recession if you aren't educated, you probably WONT get the job. There are too many others out there vying for the job that have degrees and they can pick and choose from the top.

The person who said that you should study hard and be at the top of the class is actually correct. When my husband was in school the recruiters from Lockheed Martin and the various airlines all come in to recruit. They LOOK at your scores in the classes you've taken and then if you've done well they request a formal interview. Seriously...keep up your studies.

Just my point of view, and I haven't been rude to anyone, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

Good luck to all of you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

It is FAA mandated that you have to attend a minimum of 1900 hours of training, which is approximately 17.5 months total. I'm not sure where you are getting 11 months from, but it MUST be 1900 hours. And unless that school provides that amount then it most likely will not meet FAA regulations. I would steer clear of them. The cost is depending on the program. If you are just going for the certificate I'm sure it is significantly less than the Associates Degree. I know for the entire training, which includes tools and uniforms, for the Associates degree at Redstone the total cost was around 30 thousand.

And, unfortunately, unless you are a US citizen I do not think you will be eligible to receive student financial aide from the government. You would have to cover the costs yourself. However, you can verify that at www.fafsa.ed.gov to be sure. That is the website for federal financial student aide.

Hope that helps and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Also, if you're interested in Redstone here is their website. I remember my husbands recuiter's name was Harold Lopez. He was a nice guy. Anyway, here is the website...www.redstone.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roddd in Corona, New York

46 months ago

Unlike many people on here I earned my licenses from high school which meant they were free (public schools FTW) anyway my instructors always told us not to pursue aviation as a career (the reason they were teachers and not working out in the field). They always told us the only good thing about the licenses was coming out of high school at 17-18 years old and earning 25-35k a year. Other than that it should just be a head start to beginning your life and determine what you really want to do in life. Thats why I'm taking my $15/hr. for the next 2 years and putting it into a recession proof field like... accounting. It all depends on how you live your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jcarne in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

Roddd's last sentance sums it up. It really does depend on how you live your life, if you want to have nice expensive "toys" then settle for something you wont be happy in because thats where the money is usually made. Aviation is a career that people usually choose because they love it. I myself am a licensed pilot and about to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering. However, I will not pursue engineering in the sense most people understand it because the most important thing to me is to have a job I ENJOY, not a job that pays well. This is why I am most likely going to get my A&P. Hopefully I can utilize my degree in mechanical engineering to do something out of the norm of an A&P, but if not, at least I'll be happy working with my hands instead of sitting on my butt stairing at a computer all day, I admire those that love that type of job but it certainly isn't for all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kaharshs in Fairfield, California

46 months ago

Viking in Sterling, Virginia said: Bullcrap Spyderman is probably a recruiter and the other guy commenting isnt even an A&P.This field has gotten terrible and there are very few airline jobs with 1000s applying for them.Only contracts,companies that work for the military right now are about the only decent paying jobs.Hard to get also.

Ijust separated the air force Nd within 1 week of beong out i had 4 jo s pffer of $23-24 hour. I have 7 yeR of working sheet metal and advanced composites under my belt. I declined these offers because i am going to school for my a&p so i can wIt 3 years and get my inspection authority. It a paying career field if you make it one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julio F in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

WOW $23-24 hour good luck living on that,youre getting paid likes it 1985 but its 2010.Getting a A&P will make no differance in pay maybe $1 more at $23 hour youre maxed out! dont waste youre time and money with aviation go back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nicebirdgallo in Sheridan, Arkansas

46 months ago

I am not an A&P, I am a pilot but from what everyone is saying that is OK pay. However, consider that it took seven years in the military, working 12 to 16 hour duty days, at very low pay, with the potential of losing life or limb in a war zone. So now you are lucky to have gained some experience, but I think you are worth a lot more than $25/hour for what you do. The truth of the matter is that corporations today have won the war on labor. The companies have "unionized" their efforts and have acted together to cheapen pay and benefits, extend the work week and increase the workload. Meanwhile, Ceo's pay is at an all-time high, while politicians act on their behalf and share in the profits made off the backs of working (those that are still working) Americans. WAKE UP!! And see the real-life "Matrix" you are a part of. It will soon be over, my friends. This cycle is unsustainable without consequences (See "Aristocrats," and "Revolution" in the dictionary)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Munson in Eugene, Oregon

46 months ago

My husband is also ex-military. However, unfortunately, there isn't many jobs out there for snipers...lol...So, He's getting his A&P Cert. because it will count as 48 credits toward your Bachelors at Embry Riddle. I agree that you'll need something more than just the certificate or Associates in A&P, but $24 an hour really isn't that bad of a wage...thats $4128 a mth. That isn't bad. Not as good a military...but unless you've been in combat (which my husband has..3 tours *VOLUNTARY*) than you won't make much there either unless you go in as an officer. But, all the negativity isn't very productive. You know, if you don't like what you're doing....all you have to do..is do something else...learn something else...or BE something else. You can do it. You went a got your certificate...you can do something else too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mckee d in Everett, Washington

46 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

1. 15 an hour out of the 18 mont college . as you aquire skill and labor of love you get more responsibility. after 5 years of ojt, and if your willing to travel... you will see 28 to 45 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Darby, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I hired on off the street with Delta TechOps in July. Starting at $24/hr and up to $37 after 8 years not including license, line and shift premiums. The jobs are out there...just not easy to get...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

44 months ago

I saw on another forum, some airlines have gone to flat Rate pay system. Is that really happening in the aviation industry? Im just curious.

AA in Forest Hills, New York

44 months ago

A&P dont let these post make u give up hope...there is jobs out there, but u have to be wiling to move more than likely, i am going to start my first job in a month. i here figures like "regional airline paying 12.50 and hour" but that not true for all. i will be starting with a regional airline and be starting of with 18 dollars a hour and a union (salary wil increase to 32 in a span of 8 years not after 8 years) the union membership doesnt doesn't charge more than you typical cellphone bill. Dont expect the golden 24 an hour starting (only if your lucky and keep checking major airline job sites daily for entry level mech, u may succeed) also keep in touch with technical school buddies network is very helpful.

Juan Londoño

44 months ago

onefastsailor said: If you decide to come to the US(I don't advise it)your best bet is to avoid the big schools that charge $30,000 for an A&P certificate. Instead, go to a community college, where you can earn an Associate of Science degree, and complete the 1900 hours of instruction towards an A&P.

Come to George t. Baker aviation in Miami Florida the whole course is less than $9000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juan Londoño

44 months ago

stormrider22 in Calcutta, India said: Dallas or Tarrant county college.can u tell me the cheapest college in usa.providing a & P course. Hallmark college providing The associate degree in 11 months.....is it approved by FAA? or is it better to do B1 or B2 licence from Europe. cause time is problem for me.

GEORGE T. BAKER aviation Miami florida

Boogyman in Henderson, Nevada

44 months ago

dnail in Meridian, Idaho said: I am a man that is going to school for an A&P license. What kind of pay can I expect when I graduate. Tell me about the life as an mechanic.

P.S. We have to believe that we will defeat the NWO!!!

Remember the Bush clan, Republican party and Glenn Beck are behind the NWO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rotor head in Lafayette, Louisiana

43 months ago

Ive bee turning wrenches on helicopters in the gulf of mexico for 14 years and started making $10.50 hr with an A&P now I make $33.00 Hr. with full benifits, but always keep in mind that the aviation industry is very feast or famine and clickish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cargoink in Roseville, California

42 months ago

I just finished taking my written last September. I should have taken my O&P's but I don't have the $600 for the test yet. Seeing all the posts here has made me a little discourage but like 1/4 of you here I love aviation so I think that I will go on to the finish line with the licenses. I will still stay in touch with my instructor (IA) and help him with his 100hrs and annuals to stay in practice (keeping my hands dirty). Like everyone here I need the experience and both the FBO's and Airlines don't want to give it to you and I understand that. I think the best way to get experience in this field is to buy a Cessna 150/152 and keep it flying (if you have a pilots licenses). It could be a costly experiment but I think I'm going to do it so I can rack up hrs.

scott in Volcano, Hawaii

42 months ago

Cargoink in Roseville, California said: I just finished taking my written last September. I should have taken my O&P's but I don't have the $600 for the test yet. Seeing all the posts here has made me a little discourage but like 1/4 of you here I love aviation so I think that I will go on to the finish line with the licenses. I will still stay in touch with my instructor (IA) and help him with his 100hrs and annuals to stay in practice (keeping my hands dirty). Like everyone here I need the experience and both the FBO's and Airlines don't want to give it to you and I understand that. I think the best way to get experience in this field is to buy a Cessna 150/152 and keep it flying (if you have a pilots licenses). It could be a costly experiment but I think I'm going to do it so I can rack up hrs.

You should get your O&P finished asap while the book info is four months fresh in your mind.My O&P test was 12 hours and it was no cake walk, believe me.Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Grand Prairie, Texas

42 months ago

scott in Volcano, Hawaii said: You should get your O&P finished asap while the book info is four months fresh in your mind.My O&P test was 12 hours and it was no cake walk, believe me.Good luck.

12hrs for O&P? that is a long time. unless it includes the written parts as well. it took me 3.5hrs on the O&P and took about 20min each on the written. well, its fairly easy if you study right. i took mine right after i graduate from A&P school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Grand Prairie, Texas

42 months ago

Joe_Westley in Houston, Texas said: All you losers with the "A&P License" are idiots. That is no longer a license but rather a "certificate". Furthermore, you will all end up with crappy careers. Not to mention, my engineering degree is worth 10 times more than your crap shot "A&P Certificate". HAHA.

apparently you do not know what you are talking about. when you get out of A&P shcool, you get a certificate, then you get a A&P license from the FAA when you passed the examination. and no your engineering degree is not worth 10X more, i see you are trying to be funny. . depends on where you work for and what you do. you sound like a typical engineer. i know people who is a A&P that makes around $100-140K but they work for the airlines though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joey in Gilbert, Arizona

42 months ago

Joe Westley in Houston, Texas must be having a bad day. What a nasty, unnecessary comment. Experienced A&P technicians at Southwest Airlines routinely make over 110K per year, plus a profit sharing bonus ranging from 8-12% of your gross pay. Plus, we and our families fly for FREE, get a 100% match on our 401K accounts.

With your attitude, even with a degree in "Engineering," I doubt that you make that much in pay and benefits. In fact, I doubt that you even have a degree in Engineering. I'm not even sure you are employed if you have time to sit around and comment on a Forum that has nothing to do with your career at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jcarne in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

Joe_Westley is most likely not an engineer and if he is he is the type of person that gives engineers a bad name. It is not easy to make 110k per year in engineering and takes many many years to reach that level. Please don't assume that all engineers are like that, some do have the mechanics in mind when they design something (not often enough though).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.