Changes in Administrative Assistant field in the last three years

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

terese in Temple Hills, Maryland

50 months ago

I am presently taking an online course to be able to work as an administrative assistant and was given an assignment, requiring me to INDICATE SOME CHANGES THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FIELD SINCE THE LAST THREE YEARS. I have not had any experience in this field, and therefore have no clue as to how to go about the assignment. Can someone please help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine_rarewish in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Hi. I am taking the same course and had a similiar idea. I searched for "changes that have taken place in the administrative assistant field" and came across your post. Just wanted to say Hi!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Candice in Lorain, Ohio

43 months ago

Nadine_rarewish in Los Angeles, California said: Hi. I am taking the same course and had a similiar idea. I searched for "changes that have taken place in the administrative assistant field" and came across your post. Just wanted to say Hi!

Hi Nadine,

I think I'm currently taking this same course. I started on September 15th. I haven't responded to the first assignment yet and was also looking for information. I've held the position of AA for just about 3 years and before taking the position as an AA I worked as a Legal Assistant for 10 years. It seems that great minds work alike. I'm sure you are or will become a excellent AA. Good luck with the course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andie in Boynton Beach, Florida

42 months ago

HA! This one is easy:

1) Decrease in pay/raises
2) MUCH more responsibility
3)...........

My gosh, that third one is toughie.. lol

I can tell you that in the last 3 years for sure, Admin Asst's have begun taking the role of "Office Manager", which includes bookkeeping and human resources!

The companies out there are either fighting for their lives to stay afloat or are hoarding whatever income they have, so they won't hire anyone else to do other jobs, and they certainly won't get someone in to assist you.

I was working..... 65-70 hours a week with my last position. I knew they wouldn't spend the money to get someone in to help me; I even presented the boss with a win-win situation to get a college intern in there, and that never happened. I was promised a raise and an assistant... I quit 15 months later because I was just plain exhausted.

Talk about learning on the fly... At least I now have HR and employment tax experience. Ha ha

Best decision I ever made! Point is, this seems to be a growing trend-- secretary/admin assistants/office managers have starting merging in responsibilities..

Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

raven in Portland, Oregon

42 months ago

I agree with less pay, MUCH more responsibility and what I am finding now, some employers want a 4 year degree. At the pay they are offering, the job load and 4 year degree is a joke.

I have been out of work for almost 6 months. Still looking. Tis a joke the amount they want to pay someone to do the work load of Receptionist/Personal Assistant/Purchasing/HR/Office Manager...
All the work, with very little benefits to match the amount of work and responsibilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

sro in Sacramento, California

41 months ago

That’s so true.... Duties of an Admin, in my experience, accountant, hr assistant, exhibit designer, travel arranger, presentation author, office equipment expert, software mentor, office supply beneficiary, vending machine professional/donor, and all for 5 years of college with minimal pay.

You have to know basically how to do the Presidents job or actually everyone's job because if they miss a day you’re the backup (depending on how large the company). The one thing that Directors team can do better is market (or sell) obviously or you'd be a VP.

Other States (besides California) does have reasonable hourly pay, medical, and retirement. With my experience I must admit California is way behind the time on this one starting at 8hr. FYI Since moving back to California I have changed carriers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Flint, Michigan

41 months ago

I'm enrolled in a class and I would like to know if there are any positive changes in the last three years for Adm. Ass. ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sro in Sacramento, California

41 months ago

lkm

Sharon Johnson in Algonquin,il in Palatine, Illinois

41 months ago

Since Passing the Certified medical administrative Assistant course, I am having no luck because they either want exp. 1-3 yrs exp. or 3-5 yrs. So, even if I can find a job as shadowing or being a intern or extern to learn more about coding and billing would be a great help. I also am cert. in C.N.A. Have been a medical receptionist and a Drs. Assistant in Ob-Gyne Clinic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andie1 in Boynton Beach, Florida

40 months ago

Sharon Johnson in Algonquin,il in Palatine, Illinois said: Since Passing the Certified medical administrative Assistant course, I am having no luck because they either want exp. 1-3 yrs exp. or 3-5 yrs. So, even if I can find a job as shadowing or being a intern or extern to learn more about coding and billing would be a great help. I also am cert. in C.N.A. Have been a medical receptionist and a Drs. Assistant in Ob-Gyne Clinic

Why not either:
1) Offer to work in their office for FREE for a week to prove yourself, or
2) Get an Admin Asst job in another industry just to get that experience, since you've got medical already.

Won't #2 allow you to gain the experience needed to "qualify" for the med admin asst positions out there?

GrahamD in O'Fallon, Missouri

40 months ago

Andie in Boynton Beach, Florida said: HA! This one is easy:

3)...........

I can tell you that in the last 3 years for sure, Admin Asst's have begun taking the role of "Office Manager", which includes bookkeeping and human resources!

The companies out there are either fighting for their lives to stay afloat or are hoarding whatever income they have, so they won't hire anyone else to do other jobs, and they certainly won't get someone in to assist you.

I was working..... 65-70 hours a week with my last position. I knew they wouldn't spend the money to get someone in to help me; I even presented the boss with a win-win situation to get a college intern in there, and that never happened. I was promised a raise and an assistant... I quit 15 months later because I was just plain exhausted.

Talk about learning on the fly... At least I now have HR and employment tax experience. Ha ha

Best decision I ever made! Point is, this seems to be a growing trend-- secretary/admin assistants/office managers have starting merging in responsibilities..

Hope that helps!

I would say the title changes, first it was Secretary, then Admin Asst and now I've come to see Business Assistant.

GrahamD in O'Fallon, Missouri

40 months ago

I'd say #3 could be title changes. First there was the Secretary and then Admin Asst and I've seen a title of Business Assistant which by the description given is the same as an Admin. Asst.

Cindy in Kalispell, Montana

38 months ago

3)...........

Hope that helps![/QUOTE

Nice feed-back...I just started school and I had no idea what I was about to get into I am 45 yeas old and finding out that I am in for one heck of a ride. In all my classes I have been learning a little bit about everything form anatomy, labs, terminology, transcription, psychology, bussiness math (excel), windows 7, office 2010, computer this and that, medical coding, accounting, and so on. I am in my 4th semister now and I feel so overwhelmed already. I am taking a records management class this semister on-line and part of my assignment is checking into a foroum and post something. I am glad I am doing this!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

533 in Portage, Indiana

38 months ago

3)...........

Hope that helps!

what has changed in the past 3 years i am also taking a online class and i need to know what has changed in the past three years?

533 in Portage, Indiana

38 months ago

Candice in Lorain, Ohio said: Hi Nadine,

I think I'm currently taking this same course. I started on September 15th. I haven't responded to the first assignment yet and was also looking for information. I've held the position of AA for just about 3 years and before taking the position as an AA I worked as a Legal Assistant for 10 years. It seems that great minds work alike. I'm sure you are or will become a excellent AA. Good luck with the course.

i am takin a course as a administrative assistant and i have never been in the field and i need to know what has changed in the past 3 years?

dee in Indianapolis, Indiana

38 months ago

I have 20+ years experience in medical assitance and being a biller/coder.However;I still have to attend online courses to be certified in either one. My question is... How am I supposed to find work now to sustain my daily living if this is the only work I know?

saraj in Waldoboro, Maine

34 months ago

terese in Temple Hills, Maryland said: I am presently taking an online course to be able to work as an administrative assistant and was given an assignment, requiring me to INDICATE SOME CHANGES THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FIELD SINCE THE LAST THREE YEARS. I have not had any experience in this field, and therefore have no clue as to how to go about the assignment. Can someone please help?

perhaps calling companies' HR person and tell them what you are trying to do and ask for a bit of their time to pick their brains. Any good HR person will be happy to help. Good luck.

FedUp in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

34 months ago

Ive been an Administrative Assistant for 8 years now in different office environments. I have held ALL KINDS of job titles from Secretary (8 years ago) to Director of First Impressions (most recently)...how I managed to get to be director of anything is beyond me. However if the titles were to never adapt with current workforce changes, we would all just be "office manager's", with the same responsibilities and even less pay.
Sure the dress code can be more casual these days, but that doesnt mean we still arent working those never ending hours, just in jeans instead.
Point being, you truly have to WANT TO be an admin assistant, in every sense of the title, in order to achieve success in this industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Portland, Oregon

34 months ago

I have been an Admin for over 10 years.
The past three years the changes I have seen have been the following:

A HUGE decrease in pay. I was at one point making $18.50 an hour, with great benefits and bonuses.
I am looking for work now and the Admin jobs that I am finding are starting at anywhere from $10.00, $12.00 or $15.00 (if you are lucky).

Increase in responsibilities, duties, assignments- this increase means if you are looking for work as an Admin you need to be able to do EVERYONES job, with a smile. You will be taking on MORE work every day. No, they will not give you the respect for your ability to take on this work. Rarely will you have the authority to make decisions needed to complete projects on time. You will be at the mercy of managers and other staff members who are respected and paid more than you.

Higher education wanted. This one has amazed me. I have the experience and I have an Associates degree. But, for some jobs, they want more. And they can get more in this job market.

I am trying to find a new career to go into as the Admin field has worn me out. It is VERY competitive right now and the last two Admin jobs I had there was a lot of drama, back stabbing, etc. The competition and desperate acts to hold onto a job has created an environment within the Admin world that has turned a bit ugly.

If someone asked me if I would recommend Administrative Assistant as a career, I would tell them no. I would recommend they bypass this "job" and just go onto a more focused business field (assuming that business is where their passion is). If your desire is to be a wage slave, then go for it.

To all the Admins out there looking for work. I really hope you land that amazing position where they are grateful for the work you do, they pay you for your worth and you are in an environment that allows you to have your needs me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dez-Ari in Peoria, Arizona

33 months ago

AA responsibilities sure HAVE changed!!! I was an EA for 16 years at the same firm. The company closed after 35 years in business, and in January I was laid off. I had enormous responsibilities supporting the Principal of the firm, was salaried at $65K annual, plus bonuses, had fabulous insurance benefits, 4 weeks annual vacation, and an excellent 401(k). Because my boss traveled extensively, I made many, many executive decisions on his behalf, and I cannot remember one time that any decision I made was rescinded. I was in the loop for all financially-related discussions, I dealt with clients located around the world, and became very knowledgeable about customs and taboos in many different cultures (necessary if you intend to do business overseas).

Well, that all went away in January, and I am now banging my head in frustration over my job search. From what I am experiencing in my area at least, the EA and AA positions are paying $10 to $12 on an hourly basis, have little or no benefits, incorporate several different job functions into the "Executive or Administrative Assistant" job headings, and yet the job responsibilities listed are enormous and mostly non-related to what an actual AA does (or did). Even the Executive Assistant positions are more along the lines of 'personal assistant' and frankly, I draw the line at dog-walking or grocery shopping or babysitting (all job responsibilites I have come across for EA positions). One position even listed as a job responsibility working with the executive's spouse to help her put together and organize a huge cookbook for the charity she was involved in!! Sorry, but isn't that what committee members are for?

It's been a demeaning, demoralizing and sometimes embarrassing 6 months of job searching. I cannot, at this time, recommend that anyone choose AA work as a career. It just isn't the higher-end administrative position it used to be. And the wages are ridiculous measured against the responsibilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

cdmom in Dallas, Texas

20 months ago

To answer the question for your course, try these:
a) responsibilities often more likely to include bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable duties (i.e. expanded responsibilities)
b) using more sophisticated software and/or databases to track data and prepare reports
c) responsibilities more likely to include website maintenance, i.e. updating content, job posting, troubleshooting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Denver, Colorado

17 months ago

To those of you who do not like the admin work: please QUIT so those of us that do like the work can getr the JOBS!!!!

terese in Temple Hills, Maryland said: I am presently taking an online course to be able to work as an administrative assistant and was given an assignment, requiring me to INDICATE SOME CHANGES THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FIELD SINCE THE LAST THREE YEARS. I have not had any experience in this field, and therefore have no clue as to how to go about the assignment. Can someone please help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Denver, Colorado

17 months ago

to answer the question, 1. less pay and raises, 2. more responsibilities, less clear division of roles - the admin is expected to know and be able to do all positions that have paperwork involved...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.