CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 8069)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California

80 months ago

yayyy passed an interview with Cathay Pacific Airways for LAX Base Inflight Crew for training on July 23! anyone works for CX or knows anyone who works with CX.. would like to meet some more people in the CX family!! =] hehe. i cannot wait to work for this prestigious airline!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Berkeley, California

80 months ago

hi there~ thx for making tis forum...
i have a few questions...
um... i apply cathay pacific last monday... and i received an email saying tat if selected for an interview, they will be in touch with me in May 2008. but i havent heard anything yet... soosososo nervous... um.. so
how long did it take them to send an email to invite you for the group interview? o and when did u send ur resume to them? i really want to work in this company...
Thankyou so much!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: hi there~ thx for making tis forum...
i have a few questions...
um... i apply cathay pacific last monday... and i received an email saying tat if selected for an interview, they will be in touch with me in May 2008. but i havent heard anything yet... soosososo nervous... um.. so
how long did it take them to send an email to invite you for the group interview? o and when did u send ur resume to them? i really want to work in this company...
Thankyou so much!!!

Hey Patricia!

I actually applied in January i think, and they didnt call me until March! hehehe i lost all hope..!! but they are starting a new base at LAX soo they're recruiting for flight attendants for that base only! right now there's a training class scheduled for 7/23 but a friend of mine applied and said that another training class isn't scheduled until november! but this is for the LAX base.. if ur applying at SFO they might be a little bit different since i know SFO already had a flight crew established there.. someone usually should get back to you soon though! goodluck!!!! =]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: Hey Patricia!

I actually applied in January i think, and they didnt call me until March! hehehe i lost all hope..!! but they are starting a new base at LAX soo they're recruiting for flight attendants for that base only! right now there's a training class scheduled for 7/23 but a friend of mine applied and said that another training class isn't scheduled until november! but this is for the LAX base.. if ur applying at SFO they might be a little bit different since i know SFO already had a flight crew established there.. someone usually should get back to you soon though! goodluck!!!! =]

Thank you Charlie!
yea i applied sfo base... i hope they will get back to me soon...
btw... how many interview did u do for cathay pacific? was the interview hard?
are u gonna start training for LAX Base Inflight Crew soon? are u going to hong kong for training?
sorry tat i have so many questions to ask...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: Thank you Charlie!
yea i applied sfo base... i hope they will get back to me soon...
btw... how many interview did u do for cathay pacific? was the interview hard?
are u gonna start training for LAX Base Inflight Crew soon? are u going to hong kong for training?
sorry tat i have so many questions to ask...

Hehe. not a problem. we had 1 group interview. then if you pass that you get a 1 on 1 interview. then if you pass those, you go on to do your medical exam/drug test... and thats it! yeah training doesn't start until 7/23 =( and yup!! its in Hong Kong!!!! i cannot wait im soo excited.. well goodluck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: Hehe. not a problem. we had 1 group interview. then if you pass that you get a 1 on 1 interview. then if you pass those, you go on to do your medical exam/drug test... and thats it! yeah training doesn't start until 7/23 =( and yup!! its in Hong Kong!!!! i cannot wait im soo excited.. well goodluck to you!

Thanks alot!!!!!!
so there's two interview... i see.. wow im so excited for u tat u get to go to hong kong for the training!!! i wonder u have to pay for the ticket and the hotel there... do they provide anything for u to go to hong kong???
you are so nice!!! i just saw the alaska airline forum.. and people are so rude!!! they left stupid comments there!!!!! i really appreciate tat u are trying to help people out here!!!!! being a great person!!!!! thx alot !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Hi Charlie!

Thanks for posting this forum. It's so nice of you to help us provide some information so that we can prepare ourselves better. I'm so excited for you to start the training soon.

PS. I'm sorry that I caused you in trouble with that Alaska Airlines' thread. Please accept my apology.

Hi Patricia!

Sorry I didn't reply you in that forum. As you stated, I saw that comment too and I didn't dare to post anymore comment at all. (-_-").

** Actually, I just finish posting one more comment back there because I saw someone said something about Charlie and I don't think it's right! **

Anyway, please let me reply you in this forum instead for my case. I sent my resume in March and I was contacted just in the begining of this month. I heard that normally it will be a long process for Cathay, but it will be worth it if you can work with them. You sound like such a good candidate so don't worry because I believe they will contact you soon.

Please keep us updated, alright?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: wow tats cool.. but u still have to buy the ticket to go there right? im so jealous!!! hah
i speak cantonese and mandarin~
i was born in new york but i grew up in hong kong (my family wants me to study chinese~)... then i went back to America when i was 14 or 15...
and now im here in berkeley~ hah
wat about u? wat languages do u speak?
do u have a facebook or myspace?

oh nice. i speak vietnamese. i was born here too and grew up here.. and i was forced to learn vietnamese which is a good thing because now ill be needing it! hehe.

yes i have a facebook!

charliexnguyen@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: Hi Charlie!

Thanks for posting this forum. It's so nice of you to help us provide some information so that we can prepare ourselves better. I'm so excited for you to start the training soon.

PS. I'm sorry that I caused you in trouble with that Alaska Airlines' thread. Please accept my apology.

Hi Patricia!

Sorry I didn't reply you in that forum. As you stated, I saw that comment too and I didn't dare to post anymore comment at all. (-_-").

** Actually, I just finish posting one more comment back there because I saw someone said something about Charlie and I don't think it's right! **

Anyway, please let me reply you in this forum instead for my case. I sent my resume in March and I was contacted just in the begining of this month. I heard that normally it will be a long process for Cathay, but it will be worth it if you can work with them. You sound like such a good candidate so don't worry because I believe they will contact you soon.

Oh no worries you guys! hehehe its okay... but yeah that was kinda rude... i didnt think it was that big of a deal talk about other airlines cuz we're all on the same boat trying to help each other.. but oh well... Cathay Pacific is better though!! =X i hope u guys will be a part of this family though! dont give up!!! BEst of Luck!!! keeep me posted! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: Hi Charlie!

Hi Patricia!

oh so did they set up an interview for you? are you applying for SFO or LAX base? i know that the LAX base theyre not starting another training class until November.. =/ and yeah they said its a lengthy process cuz after you complete everything and pass the medical they send it over to Hong Kong Headquarters and from there they have to grant you a work visa which is said to take 8 weeks minimum to get!! so yeahh its a very lengthy process. they said my training class isnt until July and we interviewed in March! hehe ahhhhhh its soo far away yet so close! i cant wait! literally! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

peyton in Fontana, California

80 months ago

hi Charlie

I did my medical exam in April and they say we should receive contract in May. Wonder if you recieve anything from them yet?
And one more question
Do we really have to pay the air ticket by ourselves?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

peyton in Fontana, California said: hi Charlie

I did my medical exam in April and they say we should receive contract in May. Wonder if you recieve anything from them yet?
And one more question
Do we really have to pay the air ticket by ourselves?

you know what im in the same boat as you. but they did say its a lenghty process! cuz they forward everything to the hong kong headquarters soo im sure theyre busy over there.. heheh nooo i dont think we pay for the plane tickets.. im sure one of those big 747s can house all of us... i cant wait!! so youre going to the LAX base too right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks for all ur help!!!
i hope i will get an interview or something... i really want to work in this company!!! oo and i dont think they have to make a work visa for me cuz i have H.K id... or maybe they still have to.. i dontknow.. hahah
it would be great if we all can work together!!!
o if they contact me for an interview... i will keep u guys posted!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

omg~
they just called me for an interview!!!!!
im soosososos happy right now!!!! hahah
o im having an interview on the may 27th (tue) at 12:30pm!!!
cxhopeful in Maine.. r u doing ur interview in sf??? wat date r u goin? and wat time???
i hope we can do the interview together!!!! it will be fun!!!
ooo and thx for all u guys support!!!!
... and charlie... do u mind to share with me some of the info u got for the interview??? it will help me alot~ thankyou!!! I'm so excited!!!!!
hopefully i will pass the interview..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Charlie
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I'm in LAX base, too.
We're future classmate and co-worker. ^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: omg~
cxhopeful in Maine.. r u doing ur interview in sf??? wat date r u goin? and wat time???
... and charlie... do u mind to share with me some of the info u got for the interview??? it will help me alot~ thankyou!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

wow yay! see! well the 1st interview is a group interview. they do a language assessment and reach test. its pretty easy.. you just gotta go and introduce yourself. talk about your previous job experience and why you wanna work for Cathay. then there's a little exercise to see how well you work together as a team.. then they do a language assessment where you read a paragraph in your language... then if you pass those you go on to the 2nd interview which is the 1 on 1. and that was is pretty much typical interview questions! and once u pass that u gotta pass the medical exam and from there you go into traiing! for 6 wks in HK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

basically keep eye contact. smile. talk to the whole group. dont sound nervous. smile. be articulate. relax. and be yourself. and you'll be fine. talk to them as if they're your friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

peyton in Fontana, California said: Charlie
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I'm in LAX base, too.
We're future classmate and co-worker. ^^

yay! well nice to meet you! i wish we can meet more people who might be in the same training class. i found out that my friend sister also applied and got it as well. but i dont know her but im sure i will! haha. cant wait.

what language do you speak by the way?

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: yay! well nice to meet you! i wish we can meet more people who might be in the same training class. i found out that my friend sister also applied and got it as well. but i dont know her but im sure i will! haha. cant wait.

what language do you speak by the way?

Charlie

I speak Mandarin. ^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: oh so did they set up an interview for you? are you applying for SFO or LAX base? i know that the LAX base theyre not starting another training class until November.. =/ and yeah they said its a lengthy process cuz after you complete everything and pass the medical they send it over to Hong Kong Headquarters and from there they have to grant you a work visa which is said to take 8 weeks minimum to get!! so yeahh its a very lengthy process. they said my training class isnt until July and we interviewed in March! hehe ahhhhhh its soo far away yet so close! i cant wait! literally! =)

Yes, I'll go for an interview in SF. I was told that the training for the successful candidates will be in August. Hope that I can be one of those people!

Do you know how many people applied and was accepted for your batch?
Also how many minutes for your self introduction?

Thank you very much. :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: omg~

Congratulations, Patricia!

As I said, you sound like such a good candidate, I don't see any reason Cathay won't contact you for an interview.

If we can pass the whole process and become classmates in training, it will be awesome!!!

I'm curious how many people applied for SFO base at this time and also how many positions will be available? I believe this will be a high competition as Cathay Pacific is an awesome airlines and this is such a great opportunity for every flight attendant hopeful!

If you don't mind, could you please give me your e-mail address so that we can keep in touch and keep each other updated?

Thank you very much!

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: Congratulations, Patricia!

As I said, you sound like such a good candidate, I don't see any reason Cathay won't contact you for an interview.

If we can pass the whole process and become classmates in training, it will be awesome!!!

I'm curious how many people applied for SFO base at this time and also how many positions will be available? I believe this will be a high competition as Cathay Pacific is an awesome airlines and this is such a great opportunity for every flight attendant hopeful!

If you don't mind, could you please give me your e-mail address so that we can keep in touch and keep each other updated?

Thank you very much!

hah thanks~ my email address is: patricia_s_t@hotmail.com
i hope we can pass the whole process!!!!
when are u doing ur interview? mine is on the 27th at 1230pm...
i hope we can do the interview together~
it will be fun to get to know u~ u sound like a great person!!!
um..so if we pass, we will be training in august???
o btw.. i heard all new flight attendants are given a three-year contract...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: Congratulations, Patricia!

Thank you very much!

o btw.. do u have a facebook?

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: wow yay! see! well the 1st interview is a group interview. they do a language assessment and reach test. its pretty easy.. you just gotta go and introduce yourself. talk about your previous job experience and why you wanna work for Cathay. then there's a little exercise to see how well you work together as a team.. then they do a language assessment where you read a paragraph in your language... then if you pass those you go on to the 2nd interview which is the 1 on 1. and that was is pretty much typical interview questions! and once u pass that u gotta pass the medical exam and from there you go into traiing! for 6 wks in HK!

Thanks Charlie!!!!
o i have one question...
i was looking at cathay pacific website
i noticed that people who work for the company..
they all have natural hair color...
um.. i dyed my hair in red recently..
do u think it will hurt my chance to work for the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Thanks Patricia!

I'll e-mail you then.

PS. Sorry I don't play Facebook. Am I very out of date, huh? (O_O")

Hahaha...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Oh! I just checked my e-mail and saw one new message.
I thought it's you who sent me that's one, right?
I'm not sure since it's from another e-mail address, but I'll send you another one to the e-mail address you stated above, alright?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

I applied for both LAX and SFO in April. Unfortunately I missed the recent LAX base recruitment. =(

However, I got a called for interview for SFO base and I will be coming for the group interview. I would prefer LAX base but they are not going to start looking at applications until August. I know if I don't go on the SFO base interview, I will regret it!

My SFO interview is on the 29th @ 3:30pm though. I will be flying in in the morning for the interview!

I can speak English (obviously!), Cantonese and Mandarin fluently with reading in both Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

Facebook: nickolas.meyers@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peyton in Fontana, California

80 months ago

Charlie has good tips. ^^
For girls, I have something to share,too.
If you have long hair, please tie it up.
Having a proper make up.
Cut the nails and polish it with natural color.
Wearing closed toe middle-high heel(I wore high heel it's kinda killing me. But I saw two interviewers who are also flight attendant wearing middle-high heel.)
Hope you all good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Nick in Los Angeles, California said: I applied for both LAX and SFO in April. Unfortunately I missed the recent LAX base recruitment. =(

However, I got a called for interview for SFO base and I will be coming for the group interview. I would prefer LAX base but they are not going to start looking at applications until August. I know if I don't go on the SFO base interview, I will regret it!

My SFO interview is on the 29th @ 3:30pm though. I will be flying in in the morning for the interview!

I can speak English (obviously!), Cantonese and Mandarin fluently with reading in both Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

wow goodluck! i would love to live in SF and work at SFO! i love it up there. but i guess ill save $ by staying down here at home. hehe..

wow everyone speaks cantonese or mandarin, ill need someone to teach me!

ga in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: basically keep eye contact. smile. talk to the whole group. dont sound nervous. smile. be articulate. relax. and be yourself. and you'll be fine. talk to them as if they're your friends.

Charlie, CONGRATULATIONS
DO I have to know another language in order to get hired???
what languages are they asking for???

I am willing to relocate to LAX since I am planning to move there anyways.

Please help...Thanks in advance....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

ga in Atlanta, Georgia said: Charlie, CONGRATULATIONS
DO I have to know another language in order to get hired???
what languages are they asking for???

I am willing to relocate to LAX since I am planning to move there anyways.

Please help...Thanks in advance....

Thanks! hehe.

YES its a REQUIREMENT to know another language-- Cantonese, Madarin, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Japanese... i believe are the languages..

they do a language test.. on the 1st interview to make sure you qualify!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Charlie Nguyen in Orange County, California said: hey guys! or gals! haha

well for the LAX position, the hiring group interview was spanned over 3 days... and i heard they called back 200 people for the group interview session.. then when called for the 2nd interview i was told they narrowed it down to like only 50.. then from there they'll only select a final 30 people to go onto training. that is if they pass the medical exam as well. so as you can see its a very competitive selection.

Patricia- i would redye my hair back to your natural hair color. try to look as neat and professional as possible. because for an asian airline like Cathay. they are very detailed oriented and if you really want the job you will comply with their standards. i wouldnt want to risk it. even though you're not hired yet. first impressions are very important! you want to look the part and be the whole package. you want to let them know that you are ready to set Cathay apart from its competitors. and YES image plays an important role in that as well. =] as for me, i went all out in suit, bought a nice leather portfolio for my resume, and wear a watch! its important because flight attendants are required to know time differences. it shows you pay attention to detail and that you are READY to work for this airline! Best of luck to you! =)

Thanks for the good tips Charlie~
thanks for helping me out!!!
i will get my hair done soon!!!
im not sure it can go back to the natural color.. but it will be close to it...
i have natural dark brown hair... and now its red...
anyways... to the other people who are doing the group interview...
best of luck to u guys!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: Oh! I just checked my e-mail and saw one new message.
I thought it's you who sent me that's one, right?
I'm not sure since it's from another e-mail address, but I'll send you another one to the e-mail address you stated above, alright?

hah yea i sent an email to u before this forum started...
so when are u going to ur interview???
i really like tis forum here!!!
we all very kind and loving to each other...(hah)...
especially charlie~ hes been helping people about the interview and stuff!!
we dont even know each other... but i feel like we are friends already!!!
i hope we all get the job and we can work together!!!

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: hah yea i sent an email to u before this forum started...

Yea, me too! That's why I feel kinda bad about missing out the LAX base! I've been thinking LAX base all this time while applying for Cathay. I knew I was willing to relocate but LAX would save me a lot more money at home and even moving out closer to LAX is still better in a way than all the way to SF. Oh well, I know if I don't go for SFO now I will definitely regret later. I should just be glad I have the chance with Cathay right now. I wonder if they do base transfer though since I've never heard them talk about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: hah yea i sent an email to u before this forum started...

I sent you an e-mail last night to patricia_s_t@hotmail.com. Please don't forget to check it out. (^o^)

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Nick in Los Angeles, California said: I applied for both LAX and SFO in April. Unfortunately I missed the recent LAX base recruitment. =(

Congratulations!

Hope all of us can do well in the interview. Please keep each other updated. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: I sent you an e-mail last night to patricia_s_t@hotmail.com. Please don't forget to check it out. (^o^)

um.. i checked my email.. but i havent receive ur email...

Time in a bottle in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

Does anyone know if cathay will fly you out to the group interview/open house if an interview is offered?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Time in a bottle in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know if cathay will fly you out to the group interview/open house if an interview is offered?

No. As stated from their invitation email, "Please be reminded that all travel and logging expense will not be reimburse."

My Tran in San Jose, California

80 months ago

Hi! I just found this forum because I just recieved a call back from Cathay, SFO Base. My interview is on Thursday, May 29th at 6:30pm! I'm really excited, but I do have a few questions to ask!! If anyone can answer them, that would help me out a lot!!

So, I can fluently speak Vietnamese but reading and writing is a little iffy. I can write out words but I don't know where to put the accent tones and things like that. I will have to break out my vietnamese school books and study again! Do you think this will be a big problem? What exactly did they make you read? Was it a simple paragraph or one of those crazy paragraphs with the big words that nobody really knows what they mean unless they were born in Vietnam?!?!?!

Please help!

Oh. My friend got an interview too. She is fluet in cantonese but she can't read or write. Will that be a problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

My interview is on the 29th as well! My interview is at 3:30pm though! I will be flying in for the interview. I am not sure what that paragraph is all about but it should be something relate to flight instruction, maybe? Your reading if iffy... hmm, that's not good.

As for your friend that can't read at all, that's even worse.

I don't think writing plays a big part here but reading is crucial, I believe.

80 months ago

Well, if it's flight related than it shouldn't be too hard. I can read, but it's not all that great and I read really slow if I have to read something in Vietnamese... I don't know if that makes sense...

I was wondering if anyone who has gone for an interview can answer my question.

As for my friend, don't get it confused. She can't read chinese.

Thanks for all of your help!

80 months ago

I think I just answered my question. I think I should be okay because the requirements say:
* You must be educated to high school level or higher
* You must have US citizenship or resident status or the right to live and work in the United States
* You must be 19 years of age or above with a minimum overhead arm reach of 81.9 inches
* You must be fluent in written and spoken English and be fluent in one of the following languages: Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Japanese or Thai
* Previous experience in the service industry is preferable

It just says must be fluent in written and spoken english and fluent in another language. I mean as long as you can translate, I guess.. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

But I'm still curious to know, what they will have us read.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

My Tran in San Jose, California said: Hi! I just found this forum because I just recieved a call back from Cathay, SFO Base. My interview is on Thursday, May 29th at 6:30pm! I'm really excited, but I do have a few questions to ask!! If anyone can answer them, that would help me out a lot!!

So, I can fluently speak Vietnamese but reading and writing is a little iffy. I can write out words but I don't know where to put the accent tones and things like that. I will have to break out my vietnamese school books and study again! Do you think this will be a big problem? What exactly did they make you read? Was it a simple paragraph or one of those crazy paragraphs with the big words that nobody really knows what they mean unless they were born in Vietnam?!?!?!

Please help!

Oh. My friend got an interview too. She is fluet in cantonese but she can't read or write. Will that be a problem?

HEYY...

well im vietnamese and i was born here and vietnamese is my 2nd languange. lol. but anyway, they had me read a paragraph of some sort and since there was no1 there who spoke vietnamese to assess me they had to record me and send the tape off and see if i pass. you should at least be able to read somewhat. cuz whoever they send the tape to, you never know how their standards are. i would practice and study. they dont assess your writing skills just speaking and reading. they said its critical to read, cuz you may have to read off flight safety instructions.

they did say that chinese, they understand newer generations can't read n write and can speak and may make exceptions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

My Tran in San Jose, California said: I think I just answered my question. I think I should be okay because the requirements say:
* You must be educated to high school level or higher
* You must have US citizenship or resident status or the right to live and work in the United States
* You must be 19 years of age or above with a minimum overhead arm reach of 81.9 inches
* You must be fluent in written and spoken English and be fluent in one of the following languages: Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Japanese or Thai
* Previous experience in the service industry is preferable

It just says must be fluent in written and spoken english and fluent in another language. I mean as long as you can translate, I guess.. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

But I'm still curious to know, what they will have us read.

Thanks!

well what you have to read is really travel related. its not flight instructions. its more directing the guest what they'll have to do during their travel and what not and giving them instructions on how to make the most of their travel experience.

nothing like put on your seat beat and stuff like that. haha. cuz thats easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Yea, that would be way too easy. There shouldn't be a problem for me then. Thanks again for further explanation Charlie!

80 months ago

My Tran in San Jose, California said: Thank you Charlie!! That information is much appreciated. Now, if I have to read travel directions and stuff like that then that's easy. No problem. I was just worried that they might have me read a poem with words that I don't ever use.

Charlie, did you learn how to read at home? Or did you learn at a school?

aww yeahh... well trust me there's gonna be words in there you probably never heard of or seen. i actually just winged it. i was actually forced to learn vietnamese at a school when i was younger. we're very americanized, my parents went to HS here.. soo we hardly ever spoken vietnamese until my grandparents moved in with us.. soo i speak to them all the time in viet.. and now my friends and i we all speak it to each other... lol

but i bought books and stuff to further my language vocabulary. you can never learn too much right? cuz there was this guy in my interview who spoke perfect vietnamese, i was like great, i have no chance now.. haha but luckily i passed..

also what i did was i went on vietnamairlines.com, and since the page is in viet.. id ask my parents n grandparents whats this mean and made a list of words i didnt know.. and had them translate for me... it actually helped me learn alot more words..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

Patricia in Berkeley, California said: um.. i checked my email.. but i havent receive ur email...

Hmm... I don't know what's wrong, but I'll send you another one to the e-mail address you sent me earlier. Please check it out! >-(^0^)-<

cxhopeful in Maine

80 months ago

I'm very nervous now. It seems like everyone's English is very good. As far as I read through this forum, I noticed that you guys were born and grew up here in US. I have been here only for 3 years and I have to admit that my ability in English is not that great, especially on speaking.
(-_-")

Anyway, I'll try my best because I was given an opportunity to go for an interview so what I can do now is just have to encourage myself and keep practising on English language.

** Another thing for me to worry about is that I barely reach 82 inches although I stand by the tip of my toes already. That's too bad!!! **

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cxhopeful in Maine said: I'm very nervous now. It seems like everyone's English is very good. As far as I read through this forum, I noticed that you guys were born and grew up here in US. I have been here only for 3 years and I have to admit that my ability in English is not that great, especially on speaking.
(-_-")

Anyway, I'll try my best because I was given an opportunity to go for an interview so what I can do now is just have to encourage myself and keep practising on English language.

** Another thing for me to worry about is that I barely reach 82 inches although I stand by the tip of my toes already. That's too bad!!! **

hi there~
hah i just checked my email... same thing... hah didnt get anything..
wat's ur email?
o btw what language do you speak?
good luck to ur interview!!!!
when is ur interview??? u never told me tat~
maybe i will see u there~
im very nervous too!!!!! >o<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.