Working for GLS in Iraq - Your Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 407)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nancy Baron in Culver City, California

60 months ago

Hello,

My uncle was hired by GLS and is going to Iraq soon. What experiences have you had with GLS in Iraq? Please include all the good and bad; I want a realistic picture of what to expect. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

robert321 in Erbil, Iraq

60 months ago

GLS has nothing positive! is the worst company ever! and if you don't belive me wait tell your uncle find out himself! anyway I wish him the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sofian in Washington, District of Columbia

59 months ago

robert321 in Erbil, Iraq said: GLS has nothing positive! is the worst company ever! and if you don't belive me wait tell your uncle find out himself! anyway I wish him the best.

My friend is applying with GLS to go to iraq , shou i tell him to rethink about it? What other companies do you suggest if you know any? Thanks for the tips! Its greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jmoe in Alexandria, Virginia

59 months ago

sofian in Washington, District of Columbia said: My friend is applying with GLS to go to iraq , shou i tell him to rethink about it? What other companies do you suggest if you know any? Thanks for the tips! Its greatly appreciated.

ther is a lots of companies round DC metro put you need to have S/C US citizen and the list go on and on, goint to IRAQ it not bad if he just start doing linguist with not much experience plus don't take same of this comment for advice same of them not bad and most of them very bad , getting job with GLS take long time at less 5 to 7 month of the finall hiring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bella

58 months ago

Nancy Baron in Culver City, California said: Hello,

My uncle was hired by GLS and is going to Iraq soon. What experiences have you had with GLS in Iraq? Please include all the good and bad; I want a realistic picture of what to expect. Thanks!

any luck with ur feedback?? looking for an idea of what to expect as well. Id rather hear it from people who have been through it then the recruiters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Haval in Apo

58 months ago

13 monthes ago
I tried my best to get a job with USA forces so to be a translator with them but my birthday has faild me and they took me a second chance to test again in Arbil at GLS company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Asailor in Apo

57 months ago

walid2511 in Port Orange, Florida said: can you tell me why ? , save me the trouble?

I'm currently stationed in Iraq and work with linguist who are with GLS and they really do not help thier employees out with anything, they do nothing but give them a very hard time and the benefits are really bad!! I would not recommend GLS to anybody. the only reason they still work for them is because they need a job and GLS i guess will them get a citizenship but they lie about that too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

max in Apo

57 months ago

Haval Falah 13 monthes ago in Apo said: I tried my best to get a job with USA forces so to be a translator with them but my birthday has faild me and they took me a second chance to test again in Arbil at GLS company.

yes you are right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maha

56 months ago

max in Apo said: Hello
i am a interpreter i employed from GLS in Kirkuk.
so thanks for every one who work in GLS.

GLS are the worst company ever,you might like GLS cause no other company will take you,i can tell from your perfect english,that is how bad GLS standard is,and it is people like you who mess everything up for good linguist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ME ME in Mumbai, India

54 months ago

ME BROTHER I HIRED FROM KARKUK SINCE 2007 AND I HAD WORK IN TAJY CAMP AFTER ON YEAR THEY FIRED ME WITHOUT ANY REASON AND I SO I THINK GLS COMPANY IS NOT FAIR COMPANY? MY GREETINGS TO YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Azamat Bagatov in Daly City, California

54 months ago

Check out Kerpal Fight on Yuotube!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sabah in Brooktondale, New York

54 months ago

Nancy Baron in Culver City, California said: Hello,

all what he need is to keep his mouth shut and listen to the GLS guys and not be a friend to any one.just do your job and thats it.. if anything happend with you as some one talk bad or tr to hit you for any reason report itto your company.
co'z you will get frame.don't trust no one there.do your job and you will be ok .hope this help you americanlinguists.com/ . good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sadiq in Erbil, Iraq

54 months ago

you are be sure the gls not respect our translator please not includ with him

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

adil in Erbil, Iraq

54 months ago

the us army not respect the translator nd the translator worke like soldier pleas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sac in Erbil, Iraq

54 months ago

the us soldier in kirkuk not respect translator in gls and the traanslator like soldier in the kind and situation of their work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DOUMA in Seattle, Washington

54 months ago

I have a few questions for people who are working right now for GLS or recently came back from Iraq. How dangerous is Iraq today? I hear that the US Army didn't have anyone killed as a result of hostile action for some time now. In which areas of Iraq GLS linguists are deployed these days? Also what is all the negative comments about GLS in the forum? Is there anything positive about the company? Is it that bad?

I would appreciate your input on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Saif Al-Saedi in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

jeery in Iraq said: hi i am waleed awad kadhim i ben work as terp with the u.s army in bagdad in comp taji for 27 monthes and now am not working and i working on my siv immigration and they asked me for prove that i ben work with you so pleas if you can help me and send me amemo prove that i ben work with you
than you

you need to go to GLS office formerly L-3/TItan and ask them for a letter of employment, that's what i did when i was in your situation and now i'm in the united states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

adil in Erbil, Iraq said: the us army not respect the translator nd the translator worke like soldier pleas

Show respect in order to gain respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

is there any company hiring Green Card holder linguists at this time ?
your reply is much appreciated

abdo in Apo

54 months ago

Saif Al-Saedi in Irving, Texas said: Show respect in order to gain respect.

Wrong answer,cause there are a lot of US Army that do not respect linguists at all,and the more you show them respect,it gets counted as an additional weakness,and you will only be giving way for more abuse,so expect to be treated as trash.But it does not mean that all are like that,let us not forget that we are talking about over 100,000 in service,no one should expect to be treated with respect from all 100,000.I personaly have always been treated like a king,within my unit team,but once iam out,and about to chow or MWR,no one knows,the type of work you do ,how good you do it nor how important your work is,you are nothing but another number,so do not expect that you will be respected by every one,you should expect to be treated with respect mostly from those you work with ONLY ONLY if you are good at your work,but if you are not good at what you do,just go back home,cause you are wasting tax money,and doing more dammage than good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I just started with this forum and I posted a few questions but nobody answer and instead you see other entries with broken English. I think if your English is not good you will not get a lot of respect as I can see the subject was raised.
For the people who keep trying to get jobs and are only green card holder, forget about it they won't hire you. All the posting I have seen state clearly US citizen only, so stop wasting your time and let the forum be about smarter questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

abdo in Apo

54 months ago

Any one knows where i can apply for linguist job,and which firm is now accepting applications.Iam a US cit ,and working at Iraq right now ,but have no clearance ,cause i got my US cit ,like 4 months ago,appreciate yourt response.thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

DOUMA in Seattle, Washington said: I just started with this forum and I posted a few questions but nobody answer and instead you see other entries with broken English. I think if your English is not good you will not get a lot of respect as I can see the subject was raised.
For the people who keep trying to get jobs and are only green card holder, forget about it they won't hire you. All the posting I have seen state clearly US citizen only, so stop wasting your time and let the forum be about smarter questions.

Abdo

Thanks for your Input, iam aware of the job posts online are 100% for US citizens, but it doesn't hurt to ask I was hired state side by GLS so I know the deal,

Haval (Maximis) in Apo

54 months ago

Maha said: GLS are the worst company ever,you might like GLS cause no other company will take you,i can tell from your perfect english,that is how bad GLS standard is,and it is people like you who mess everything up for good linguist.[/QUOTE
first of all accept my best regards
and i am an interpreter too and i working for GLS i employed from kirkuk2
so i am so proud of my job
but inspite of all of that the U.S. army they never ever show any respect to us.

Haval (Maximis) in Apo

54 months ago

First of all accept my best regards,
when i became 18 years old i went to the kirkuk for test
and passed it
so now i working for GLS as an interpreter with U.S. army
so by the way they are not leaving iraq yet.

54 months ago

The latest news: GLS put hiring Arabic Speakers for Iraq on hold now. The last time they sent people to Iraq was in December, there is a question whether Arabic Linguist positions in Iraq are drying up but nothing is for sure, they can have a sudden need for linguists.

For now they are hiring Kurdish/Arabic speakers only meaning people who are fluent in both, in this case they could be only Iraqi who have US citizenship of course because who else can speak Kurdish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JACJ in Korek, Iraq

53 months ago

HELLO ALL
IAM JACK FROM KURDISTAN I USED TO WORK WITH GLS IN KERKUK IN RASHAD VALE IN 2008 BUT NOW I WANT TO WORK IN ERBIL I NEED YOUR HELP

REGARD \
JACK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fawaz in Kissimmee, Florida

53 months ago

MAUIRAIN in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: U NEED MA TO B HIRED ANS A SECRET CLEARANCE

I need MA what is that?? can u explain plz? and hired ANS again what's that??

abdu in Apo

53 months ago

MAUIRAIN in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Hi
From my own experience , it really depends on the person , if you have a good attitude and show respect , you will gain it back, whatever images you send to the outside world,the behavior and speech is a reflection of the personality and the morale of the individual in question , I myself when I was a trainer , was treated a queen , had mu own chu and bathroom in Taji Camp, I was even rewarded the coin of excellence ..any job in the world respecting others is a priority and if the army treats linguists bad, that is because what they have seen and dealt with before. Tamara A

iam not sure if the trainer was a male,he would have got a chu of his own with a bathroom in it,iam yet to hear it from any femal,that says i have been treated bad,i wounder why Tamara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rawsht_nasa in Erbil, Iraq

52 months ago

Thank you for this site.I am a student in college of languages (English department)in Salahaddin University in Erbil.My question is how can i work with the American army? Can i work in Erbil or Kerkuk as a translator ?? please give me your information about it!,and by which way i contact you?....I am waiting !!..... Good luck for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mohicans in Iraq

52 months ago

hello ter ;
will my quistion is i want to work for GLS in iraq as a translator
so i hope guys u can help me with that i need to know the way to get the form and applay ter by da way im in iraqi cit not a greencard holder so i hope u can help me
regards

Fawaz in Kissimmee, Florida

52 months ago

Brother GLS is the worst company to work for if u not US citizen your chance is slim in iraq look for iraqi terp can help you to work for them there as local . Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mohicans in United Arab Emirates

52 months ago

fawaz bro what u thing i won't work if i had the chance here but the thing that u can see in the news we r really having a bad time and i do have 3 languages so i really will be much gratfull if u can help me
thanks

Jana1225 in Falls Church, Virginia

52 months ago

Hello,

I am finalizing my hiring process with GLS, and will be going to Iraq in 2 month. Can anyone tell me about the work locations, living environment there, how safe is it, what is expected of you?

As a single mom to a 7 year old boy, I thought it could provide me with a solid financial security. Is it worth it?

Please share your comments and experiences sparingly, I would truly appreciate it. Oh, by the way, I am a US citizen, living in the US for 27 years now. No S/C.
thanks,

52 months ago

Hello what can I tell you. GLS lost their contract big time in Iraq if you will be going to Iraq . You should know after the long waiting process after you pass your CI screen , please don't put your eggs in one basket , if you get ur clearance with them say u r going .Til then is a waiting list game progress. It may take 2 days or 5 month, stay still the condition of living it's ok for some one who will spend small period of time and make money then leave . GLS is the worst company 2 work for but ... You get that pay check sister good luck and thing about ur 7 years old money not everything .
best wishes

52 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: Well i o not think that you will be going to Iraq,cause there are like 100 people,living in a tent,awaiting new assignment,and there are none.i did not know of any new linguist coming to Iraq for a long time,the onlt reason why you got training is because GLS also makes money from it,after which you are sent home to wait,but so you will know that you are waiting for nothing,cause no one is going to call you,it is the end over here in Iraq right now,an it is good for you too,how is it you are going to give up your 7yr ol for this job,thinking that its for your kids future,while its nothing but greed from you,i hope you do not get the job,you are not a good mother.

Dear Abdo,

I would like to thank you for the insulting reply, where you are judging me without even knowing the type of person or mother I am.

Let me share a piece of my mind with you.

I have been a single mom for the last 5 years, supporting my son alone with no family around. The way economy is going now, it's pretty scary, especially in the US, unlike Germany, you guys don't even need to worry about work, the government provides housing, insurance and additional expenses for food and spending. Meanwhile, in the US, you don't get anything from the government, you work you live, if you don't pay rent, they will kick you out, if you don't pay your car payment, they will take it from you, if you don't pay your utilities, they will be cut off. I a single mom, have to make $5000 to live. I provide everything for my son, he has everything he needs, a very proud child of his mom as I am of him. I take my son vacation travelling all over, unlike many kids, some are lucky to dine out every now and then.

I was told, that I am not only a good mother, I am a great and strong mother. So I asked the question, you should have replied politely, answered accuratley and advised me properly. Not attack me my brother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany

52 months ago

OK ,iam sorry i might have been hard on you ,i agree,i should not have said all this ,i do not really know your personal problems well enough to say all this.Anyway i live in the state california,and not Germany,your English reads way to good compare to those here in Iraq,i have been here for 3yrs,and as i said,do not count on GLS to take you to Iraq,they have a lot of linguist that are waiting to be sent home,cause there is no more need for that many over here,they are sening people by the tens.Please o not waste your time waiting,they called upon you for training just because they make money out of it,so try to apply for jobs with the CIA or FBI,once you have your CI clearance it is easy,if you know someone at GLS well enough,i am ready to give you my spot over here,just let me know,and if you need any financial help now,i will be happy to help,let me know,and good luck-again sorry.

electroo in Iraq

52 months ago

hi guyz im vry glad 2 c these comments nd i would like 2 ask u smthng guyz i wanna hv a job in da gls as a linguist so could u guyz just tell me abt my apportunity plz with my best wishes

52 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: OK ,iam sorry i might have been hard on you ,i agree,i should not have said all this ,i do not really know your personal problems well enough to say all this.Anyway i live in the state california,and not Germany,your English reads way to good compare to those here in Iraq,i have been here for 3yrs,and as i said,do not count on GLS to take you to Iraq,they have a lot of linguist that are waiting to be sent home,cause there is no more need for that many over here,they are sening people by the tens.Please o not waste your time waiting,they called upon you for training just because they make money out of it,so try to apply for jobs with the CIA or FBI,once you have your CI clearance it is easy,if you know someone at GLS well enough,i am ready to give you my spot over here,just let me know,and if you need any financial help now,i will be happy to help,let me know,and good luck-again sorry.

Dear Abdo,

Apology accepted, lol... thank you. I must admit that I am a person that is always willing to advance myself, especially during this economcy, and yes, it is selfish to feel that I give one year away from my beautiful boy to earn an amount that can take me 3-4 years to earn doing what I am doing now. I actually resigned from a very nice position working with foreign government here in DC, because a company in the US opening in the middle-east offered in job with them, I accepted it, I wanted my son to live in arab environment, learn the language and get to know where his mom comes from... unfortunatley, after I gave my position up, spent 2 month in CA, where I grew up with my family. I returned to DC to find out that the company fell apart prior to its departure.. So, I become un-employed. Since then, I have been doing my own consulting and searching for a permanent job. My son and I are well, and thank you for your offer. I promise not to give GLS a chance to do that to me. Keep in touch. I wish you the best. thanks.

52 months ago

Should you need anything ,send me a note to thikrarassam at hotmail .com its my under cover address iam a male nd not a femal.take care

Maximis in Apo

52 months ago

Hi..
how is everyone is doing, i would like to tag my comment as an interpreter working for the GLS company in Iraq, my concern is i see many peoples blaming GLS that they are careless towards thier interpreters. i am here i never ever seen any faults of them, and by the way they don't force anyone to work for themso if you don't like them don't be shame just quit or whatever you want.
i am telling you guys somethin we all know that they pay a little for us but how ever there no a few good jobs like that maybe there is ever not for some peopels and here is something else that we have chance gget rid of iraq like going to the U.S. (states).

With my respect and best regards for everyone in this forums.

DOUMA in Bellevue, Washington

52 months ago

Maximis I would appreciated if you tell us how safe or dangerous the environment you are working is like. Also from your perspective do you think there are needs for more linguists for the Army because I know by August the plan is to have just 50.000 troops there vs 100.000 now.

Thanks

52 months ago

Abdo I'm a little confused. You live in California right now and you are not currently working with GLS but you seem to know so much about the company to the point of saying they won't send anybody anymore to Iraq. How do you know all of this while you don't work with GLS currently? Do you have inside information?
This is not a personal attack but it's just to clarify things for everybody in the forum to understand what are these facts based on.

For example I'm in touch with a recruiter with GLS and if there no more linguists hiring for Iraq, I don't want to go to Virginia for two weeks when there won't be a job down the road. The other thing is I thought GLS make money when they hire someone after passing all the hurdles not getting money by just sending them to Virginia.

Note: If there is anyone who currently work with GLS or can answer the questions I raised please clarify things for me.

Thanks

52 months ago

GLS gets paid for every dollar rhey spend on you even at training stages,and yes iam working at Iraq right now for GLS.

52 months ago

GLS made a very big pay cut in the past ,just to get most of the linguists hard work money.If you are a smart linguist or a dum one ,you are treated the same,so my friend i think you must be one of the dum one's to say that GLS is OK.

52 months ago

WHY U WANNA GO TO IRAQ IF U CAN WORK HERE.
IF YOU DIVORCED OR DESPERATE FOR MONEY WHY NOT . OTHER WISE MC DONALD ARE HIRING.

52 months ago

I just wanna do one year in Iraq and bail out that's all. I have no long term plan with GLS. I have a job but the pay sucks like many jobs in the US, in the same time I'm not desperate to go, if it doesn't work screw it. I don't want to do a lot of back and forth with Virginia because I'm in the West Coast, I understand it's done one time for two weeks than if it's all right you go to Georgia.
Can you tell me what is done in the CRC in Georgia?

I know it doesn't look good now as there is a waiting list to go to Iraq with people who got clearance and the last time they send people there was back in December.

Fawaz good for you, you got a job with the FBI. I tried their test once as part of contractor job and got the reading and listening fine but their written translation test rating standard seems to high, I didn't pass it, no idea. I'm not interested in the FBI anymore anyway. I think they trap too many innocent people.........without going into details.

Abdo it just was confusing that you posting states you are in Germany (Ottobrunn) and you said you work with GLS in Iraq. Are you taking a break in Germany?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Guys iam at Iraq right now,working for GLS,IT IS OVER I O NOT THINK GLS WILL BE TAKING ANYONE TO IRAQ,THERE ARE AROUND 80 LINGUIST EXTRA LIVING IN TENT,AWAITING TO BE SENT HOME,(APRIL 09-2010).

Maximis in Apo

52 months ago

can you tell me where are you in iraq and for idea what do you mean that the GLS not taking anymore in iraq.

52 months ago

Every where in Iraq,the US Army is pulling out,and as they do there are a lot of linguists that are been released back by the US Army to GLS as sur plus,and right now there are like 80 sur plus linguist living in one big tent,awaiting to be sent home,last month 25 where sent back,and this coming June there is going to be a lot more to be sent back,so that is the situation right now over here.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.