Architecture Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Elena in Amsterdam, Netherlands

51 months ago

I have over 3 years of experience in architecture and urban design. I worked in US, Italy and Netherlands.I got laid off last April and since then I have been applying to ANY architecture job I found in the Netherlands. After 5 months and 200 resumes sent with no answer I am reaching the conclusion that it may be a good decision to move -again. How is it looking the situation in the US, UK and Canada, specifically Minneapolis, London and Toronto? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jkadlowec in Santa Monica, California

51 months ago

I've been out of work for over a year and have heard the same from former colleagues. The unemployment rate in architecture tops 30% across the country. Instead of planning to move, you may want to consider a career change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

EMG in Westwood, New Jersey

51 months ago

I am in the same boat, I have 10+ yrs of arch. experience and out of job for almost 2 years in NJ. I feel very hopeless and seriously considering a career change. I learned that the medical field is the way to go. As it is one the the few fields that always in high demand, and will survive any economy (there will always be sick people regardless).

Any suggestions on career change?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

insurance queen in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

EMG in Westwood, New Jersey said: I am in the same boat, I have 10+ yrs of arch. experience and out of job for almost 2 years in NJ. I feel very hopeless and seriously considering a career change. I learned that the medical field is the way to go. As it is one the the few fields that always in high demand, and will survive any economy (there will always be sick people regardless).

Any suggestions on career change?

Life insurance

Taruno Vega in La Honda, California

50 months ago

Elena in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: I have over 3 years of experience in architecture and urban design. I worked in US, Italy and Netherlands.I got laid off last April and since then I have been applying to ANY architecture job I found in the Netherlands. After 5 months and 200 resumes sent with no answer I am reaching the conclusion that it may be a good decision to move -again. How is it looking the situation in the US, UK and Canada, specifically Minneapolis, London and Toronto? Thank you

Dear Elena:
I don't think the market for architects in the USA is any better than where you are now.
I am a very experienced architect residing in California and have been out of work for more than 2 years now; and lost track of how many resumes I have sent, but after applying to more than 100 jobs I only got letters of recognition and encouragement, but NO work.
Maybe in Minneapolis could be better, but here the employment in our field is disastrous.
Good luck in your search,
Taruno

mitc0304 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

50 months ago

Minneapolis is extremely BAD! I assume this will be for a long time as I have been unemployed here for nearly 1.5 years. Sent out over 400 resumes and 0 interviews. People here with 20 years experience will take jobs first and eventually the young designers will be next but it will be a few years before that happens.

de in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

jkadlowec in Santa Monica, California said: I've been out of work for over a year and have heard the same from former colleagues. The unemployment rate in architecture tops 30% across the country. Instead of planning to move, you may want to consider a career change.

Yes, I have been out of work since April 2009. I'm licensed (10 years), NCARB, Master's, CADD and Revit/BIM. In Houston. I've not had a call back or interview since August 2009.

There doesn't seem to be anything else I can add as an enticement.

LEED AP? Actully that's becoming an assumption, not an incentive.

When offices do start to hire they will go for mid-level 5-10 year exp., not 20 years seniors-who are deemed to old and too expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.