I just got all 8 of my ase and I have a bs in sutomotive science but with a dui on my record, will a dealership hire me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

John Jonh in Ventura, California

49 months ago

The dui is seven years old but out here in california dui stays on for ten plus years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanethes in Woodstock, Georgia

45 months ago

John Jonh in Ventura, California said: The dui is seven years old but out here in california dui stays on for ten plus years.

Think again, a DUI is a misdemeanor and stays on your record for life. I had a DUI 15 years ago, and I still have to explain it every time I interview for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Werner in Wakefield, Massachusetts

42 months ago

Hello, to whom it may help, My record for DUI is BAD, But Iam a recovering Alcoholic, I still have a great ability to fix cars and trucks to make a living, and my resume is filled with Hard working years, This decisions comes from Ins . companys and is un constituional, Let people raod test vehicles, and Let me fix the vehicles as needed, Now thats fair, Without a JOB is depressind enough ! JW I am ready to be hired your choice !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff V in Terre Haute, Indiana

39 months ago

I have a question for you guys. How hard would be for a guy with no license to get a job as a tech? I have about 6 years of experience in the field and plan on going to school for Automotive Technology, would it be worth it? I'm thinking I will just take the jump, but my dad said the field is declining or is the fact that you have to stay on top of the field what causes people to drop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ralph in Huntington Beach, California

39 months ago

Jeff V in Terre Haute, Indiana said: I have a question for you guys. How hard would be for a guy with no license to get a job as a tech? I have about 6 years of experience in the field and plan on going to school for Automotive Technology, would it be worth it? I'm thinking I will just take the jump, but my dad said the field is declining or is the fact that you have to stay on top of the field what causes people to drop?

They won't hire you without a license, it is a requirement for obvious reasons. If you get a DUI or excessive points on your license you will get fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John W in Wakefield, Massachusetts

39 months ago

Look keep moving foward, dont give up, you will suceed in the field with some effort, i have the same problem I am a recovering alcoholic, I still dont have a Licience but working on it, there are shops out there that will give you a chance and to learn, I was one of the top transmission techs for GM for 14 Years , and I was honest and good at what I was doing ! keep your head up and be greatful to GOD> best of luck John W

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Torrance, California

23 months ago

Ralph in Huntington Beach, California said: They won't hire you without a license, it is a requirement for obvious reasons. If you get a DUI or excessive points on your license you will get fired.

no, the employer cannot fire you for DUI because of discrimination law. You could sue them if they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patty Richardson in Laconia, New Hampshire

22 months ago

John Werner in Wakefield, Massachusetts said: Hello, to whom it may help, My record for DUI is BAD, But Iam a recovering Alcoholic, I still have a great ability to fix cars and trucks to make a living, and my resume is filled with Hard working years, This decisions comes from Ins . companys and is un constituional, Let people raod test vehicles, and Let me fix the vehicles as needed, Now thats fair, Without a JOB is depressind enough ! JW I am ready to be hired your choice !

Are you the John Werner from Lanes End??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ed Knight in Stamford, Connecticut

22 months ago

I have had tons of interviews but no luck. I have 2 dui's non felony. People are interested in hiring me till they see the 2 dui's on my record and then its forget this guy. I know the. Shops insurance is high for someone with dui but why can't someone just give me a chance. I graduated from UTI with honors and have 11 ford credentials n three other certifications and none of that matters. I don't know what to do anymore and there's no money to go back to school for somthin else..

Tim in Temecula, California

22 months ago

ed Knight in Stamford, Connecticut said: I have had tons of interviews but no luck. I have 2 dui's non felony. People are interested in hiring me till they see the 2 dui's on my record and then its forget this guy. I know the. Shops insurance is high for someone with dui but why can't someone just give me a chance. I graduated from UTI with honors and have 11 ford credentials n three other certifications and none of that matters. I don't know what to do anymore and there's no money to go back to school for somthin else..

I ma in the same boat as you. I just talked to my previous employer about going back but he said the insurance company said I have to wait 3 years after the conviction then it is up to the service manager if he wants to hire me back. I do not know if all insurance companies have the same policy

dubtech2 in Wildomar, California

1 month ago

Yes for Sure. VW Master, ASE Master, L1 Cert, AS automotive. Been at 4 dealers. Explained being younger that I had a Felony burglary in 2000 being striked in California, 2005 a Dui and a domestic in 2007. Been in a Delar for the past 11 Years. Your Ok. Just as long as you can be insured.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.