Is 39 years old to old to start?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida

85 months ago

Hi everyone, I have a question. Do you think it would be difficult to start a career as an automotive mechanic/technician at the age of 39? Your feed back will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Matt

85 months ago

Starting this career is difficult and expensive to start at any age. Please keep in mind the cost of tools is high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Warren, Michigan

85 months ago

39 is not to old. but u need to think this 1 out alittle.iam 45 years old. ben working for chrysler dealers fro the past 26 years.there is a guy that started with use last year,50. first auto job he had. he went to a tread school. and now doing this. but tools,wow where is a bill.neaver enough tools.u will 1,000s on tools.tax write off, in some cases.the body takes a tole.back arms, legs.its not like working on cars at home.so think this 1 out.most of the guys here make about 30,000 to 38,000 per year. i made this year 60,000.there is money to be made for right person.THINK HARD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

kyle mcewen in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

yes avoid it if you can its not worth the money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joe schemeker in kilnox, Australia

72 months ago

DAY B RITT, STAI FRM DISS HEERR JOOB ITT HAARD JOOB,B DANNCEER OR OHPEEN FLORAL SHOP NSTED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mission Viejo, California

69 months ago

I make 23.62 an hour and have been a heavy truck mechanic for over 7 years now. I worked in dealerships and independants for the ten years before getting into the truck repair industry. There is no money, benefits or respect working as an auto tech. I suggest You try to find a job with a company like ups, fed-ex etc.. as a mechanic. I am a B tech A techs make 28.55 an hour and we are a union shop. As for the age thing, we have one guy who started when he was 55 and he is still going @ 59 yrs old. Get a union job and You will be taken care of. Also get as many ASE certs ase You can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wannabe x tech in Waukegan, Illinois

68 months ago

Im am 40 now, and I have been in a dealership for over 22 years, 15 with fo mo co 7 with jag and 1 with mazda, its like the other tech was saying, i hurt all over, it hard work for me without the learning curve,tools are expensive and the starting pay is low, at my shop there are a few senior techs like myselfe, watching over the rest whilst they take all the gravy, its more profitable for the company to let them do the work at $8-12 per hour than to pay the techs, some are paying the tool guy $100-150 per week. yea young people who live with their parents. hard times or not most employers are realy taking advantage wages are low across the board and most have cut base pay for flat rate techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

56 months ago

dave in Warren, Michigan said: 39 is not to old. but u need to think this 1 out alittle.iam 45 years old. ben working for chrysler dealers fro the past 26 years.there is a guy that started with use last year,50. first auto job he had. he went to a tread school. and now doing this. but tools,wow where is a bill.neaver enough tools.u will 1,000s on tools.tax write off, in some cases.the body takes a tole.back arms, legs.its not like working on cars at home.so think this 1 out.most of the guys here make about 30,000 to 38,000 per year. i made this year 60,000.there is money to be made for right person.THINK HARD.

How exactly do you start when everyone wants years & years of experience?? And 39 is too old when employers are tripping over themselves to hire people in their 20's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donski in San Diego, California

31 months ago

FAITH in Dolton, Illinois said: I SAY DON'T LET NO MALE PIG CHANGE YOUR MIND BECAUSE WHAT I WAS READING THAT WHAT THEY WAS DOING WE ARE WOMEN AND WE NEED TO GO AFTER WHAT WE WANT IM 39 YEAR'S OLD AND IM LOOKING TO GO AFTER MY DREAM JOB WORKING IN LAW ENFORCMENT IM GOING TO DO IT AND IF THAT DON'T WORK OUT IM GOING TO KEEP GOING UP THE LADDER DON'T LET NO ONE STOP YOU FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND DO IT

I'm doing the same at age 45.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.