Tips for automotive technician interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming automotive technician interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming automotive technician interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Interviewing for an automotive technician position is usually simple and to the point. I have conducted hundreds of them as I have managed Automotive Service Departments since 1996. What managers want to know is are you motivated, can you perform the job at the level they are interviewing for (lube tech, mid-level tech, master tech), are you dependable, will you be at work on time and one of the most important is do you have a good attitude? I am currently recruiting for a dealership and there are 4 basic things(the big 4) I need from technicians. Be at work on time, wear your uniform, do the work completely and accurately and have a positive attitude. Even if a technician is not completely trained and does not have a lot of experience, I can work with them and help them along their career path if they have the big 4.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faraz Rasul in West Palm Beach, Florida

26 months ago

To whom it may concern

I am Faraz Rasul, I am obtaining my cerificate on automotive tecnholgy at Lincoln Technical institute. I just finished brakes and suspension system and now on the process of getting my hands and knowledge on electronics and air condition. It will be very helpful for me to get a job at a dealership so that I can finish my second year outside school and first year in school to get my certificates for each systems as I progress. I also possess the THE BIG 4 which you are looking for. As a matter of fact, my grades, attandence, professionalism is outstanding in my class. I can even sent you a copy of my progress at my school if that will help you to help me get in a dealership. I don't knw what state you reside in but I am willing to travel on weekends to visit you for the interview if it takes place or if you know someone from west palm beach Florida, and contact the person regarding me, that will be very helpful and appreciated. Here is my email address farazrasul1985@yahoo.com. please feel free to contact me regarding this matter. I will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

26 months ago

Never tell the sevice manager your long term plans. Be vague, Dont say, "im gonna work here and get some experience, then demand more money here or go somewhere else" Thats just how its is in this industry. Want a raise? get a new job. Dont burn the bridge though, they might offer you more money. IT VERY COMPETITIVE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.