I can't do it anymore...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island

22 months ago

Please, anyone considering this field, learn from what I have to say. This field is a black hole. The money isn't there, the UTI commercials are a lie to get you in the door so they can profit from your student loans.

I flagged 13.7 hours last week...22.7 this week. I was there for 50 hours both weeks. I am drowning in student loan debt and tool debt. Customers are stupid blockheads who just look for the cheapest oil change deal that week and never do any needed maintenance. You go for broke. This industry is broken, you will be broken, this isn't fun like your hobby car, this is hard work, low pay and bullcrap pay systems to make your pay even lower.

I don't care how much you know or how much you love working on cars, you will be starved out at the beginning stages unless you live at home with mom and dad, no wife, no kids, and they feed you.

Don't learn the hard way like me. I doubt I can afford rent this month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Asbestos in Acworth, Georgia

19 months ago

Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: Please, anyone considering this field, learn from what I have to say. This field is a black hole. The money isn't there, the UTI commercials are a lie to get you in the door so they can profit from your student loans.

I flagged 13.7 hours last week...22.7 this week. I was there for 50 hours both weeks. I am drowning in student loan debt and tool debt. Customers are stupid blockheads who just look for the cheapest oil change deal that week and never do any needed maintenance. You go for broke. This industry is broken, you will be broken, this isn't fun like your hobby car, this is hard work, low pay and bullcrap pay systems to make your pay even lower.

I don't care how much you know or how much you love working on cars, you will be starved out at the beginning stages unless you live at home with mom and dad, no wife, no kids, and they feed you.

Don't learn the hard way like me. I doubt I can afford rent this month.

Couldnt agree more, been doing for 12 years and the only thing I have to show for it is a busted back,bad knees, and a severed tendon in my hand. Flat rate is a total joke and should be illegal. I thank god everyday thay I will never have to turn wrenches for a living again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Escondido, California

15 months ago

Asbestos in Acworth, Georgia said: Couldnt agree more, been doing for 12 years and the only thing I have to show for it is a busted back,bad knees, and a severed tendon in my hand. Flat rate is a total joke and should be illegal. I thank god everyday thay I will never have to turn wrenches for a living again!

I have been turning wrenches since the early 80`s and couldn`t agree more. It was a good living in the beginning but as the years have gone by it has steadily gotten worse. I wish I could get into something else that has a more steady income, (this roller coaster called a paycheck sucks!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.